What's new

Any questions regarding Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On karachis main roads on foot paths people urinate, its really embarrassing I saw one day on a wall in sadar karachi it was written 'yahan peshab kerna mana hai' and a man was sitting down urinating despite the big letters that clearly said its prohibited. Its all because of illiteracy.

talk about disgusting!

Dahi baray is a totally different dish from gol gappae brother...:D

N yes we also have Chole Kulchays in India...:)

Basically North Indian n Pakistani food is the same with the exception of few dishes i guess...

So do u know any Pakistan specific food which u thing would not be available in India???

i know dahi baray is different from gol gappay! mein kuch aur kehna chah raha tha khair!
i dont know much of north indian food so i cant tell what is the difference between north indian food and pakistani food!!!

Its usually in a secluded area ! A person ain't gonna squat down in the middle of the street & mark his territory ! :lol:

try to pass by Data darbar.... france ki fragrance yaad aa jay gi... :rofl:

and the best is at some places people have written on wall stating... "dekho kuttay ka bacha peshab ker raha hai...."

hilarious !!! :lol:

okay there were two questions that went unanswered that I asked...

actually I think Lahori girls show the most attitude...

and as per beauty, I think without a doubt that Abbottabad girls seem the most beautiful....generally speaking... and it aint a conservative place either....

how many people use indian satelite tv services like tata sky, dish tv, etc? Is it common?

Sir, firstly your question itself is biased. First you assume that there is an overdose of religion here. What you are refering to is actually, in my opinion, a perception based on your culture (a very common bias, nothing personal, we do it too sometimes). This 'overdose' that you perceive comes largely due to the hemogenity of one religion here (around 97%) and due to this referring to common religious symbols has become a norm in our culture e.g. it is common to say 'Pakistan will be a secular, modern state, inshallah!' or Allah maaf karey (God forbid) this phenomena does not highlight the individual's religious leanings but is due to a normal cultural norm. I'll give you a personal example; I once went to a Pakistan Communist Party conference in Lahore where many members were atheists yet they greeted me with 'Asalaamelikum'. Again this is culture; not religion.

Secondly, you might have inferred an 'overdose' from the political discourse that you hear here on PDF, online and in the news. This is because our dominant political discourse states that Pakistan is a state for Muslims and this propistion has taken a very deep root in the political psyche of a lot of people. Politically, we've been aligned to fellow Muslim states (this too is not a Pakistani phenomena but a post-colonial one which has its roots in the colonial era). Thus, Islam forms a glue for our nation-state identity; whether or not this is right is another argument all toghther, but to a lot of people Islam forms the philosophical base of our political reality. I would like to highlight that this point, though mainstream, is debated within Pakistan and there is a vibrant albeit more latent movement towards a more secularised political philosophy; however this political voice is not as loud as the religiously conservative (this too is not a Pakistani local phenomena but is present elsewhere as well e.g. the US religiously tilted and conservative party: the Republicans is also vocal, uses religiously inspired language and usually stumps out their more liberal Democrats on the media forum. In your own nation the BJP becomes more vocal than the Congress; the Shiv Sena too is another example) So this is what you see.

Hope it helps.

---xxx---

Pak.'s elite ruling class of a couple of lakhs very smartly turned religious-conservative. Military amplified right wing style, suited them. Lahori's and Krunchy's actually ply both sides, secular and conservative given professional ( English speaking, fairly secular lawyers , doc's, accoutants, engineers etc.) and secular re: job scene. Small town folks are more religious and both want middle-East.

I have a theory which says Islam came to English speaking world by contact with colonial India, never mind we all know Islam originated in Arabia.

Colonial contact pre-dates Gulf petrodollars and revisit of Islam. Comments pls., ?

Smart of pak to parlay above and try to inherit sub. continental Islamic legacy.

Sir, firstly your question itself is biased. First you assume that there is an overdose of religion here. What you are refering to is actually, in my opinion, a perception based on your culture (a very common bias, nothing personal, we do it too sometimes). This 'overdose' that you perceive comes largely due to the hemogenity of one religion here (around 97%) and due to this referring to common religious symbols has become a norm in our culture e.g. it is common to say 'Pakistan will be a secular, modern state, inshallah!' or Allah maaf karey (God forbid) this phenomena does not highlight the individual's religious leanings but is due to a normal cultural norm. I'll give you a personal example; I once went to a Pakistan Communist Party conference in Lahore where many members were atheists yet they greeted me with 'Asalaamelikum'. Again this is culture; not religion.

Secondly, you might have inferred an 'overdose' from the political discourse that you hear here on PDF, online and in the news. This is because our dominant political discourse states that Pakistan is a state for Muslims and this propistion has taken a very deep root in the political psyche of a lot of people. Politically, we've been aligned to fellow Muslim states (this too is not a Pakistani phenomena but a post-colonial one which has its roots in the colonial era). Thus, Islam forms a glue for our nation-state identity; whether or not this is right is another argument all toghther, but to a lot of people Islam forms the philosophical base of our political reality. I would like to highlight that this point, though mainstream, is debated within Pakistan and there is a vibrant albeit more latent movement towards a more secularised political philosophy; however this political voice is not as loud as the religiously conservative (this too is not a Pakistani local phenomena but is present elsewhere as well e.g. the US religiously tilted and conservative party: the Republicans is also vocal, uses religiously inspired language and usually stumps out their more liberal Democrats on the media forum. In your own nation the BJP becomes more vocal than the Congress; the Shiv Sena too is another example) So this is what you see.

Hope it helps.

---xxx---

Pak.'s elite ruling class of a couple of lakhs very smartly turned religious-conservative. Military amplified right wing style, suited them. Lahori's and Krunchy's actually ply both sides, secular and conservative given professional ( English speaking, fairly secular lawyers , doc's, accoutants, engineers etc.) and secular re: job scene. Small town folks are more religious and both want middle-East.

I have a theory which says Islam came to English speaking world by contact with colonial India, never mind we all know Islam originated in Arabia.

Colonial contact pre-dates Gulf petrodollars and revisit of Islam. Comments pls., ?

Smart of pak to parlay above and try to inherit sub. continental Islamic legacy.

---xxx---

---xxx---

i will say thats the stupid assumption.

The middle lower class even from India goes to Gulf or Arab land for labour work due to lack of education. same goes for Pakistan.

Nothing to do with faith.

Thanks, true but rather obvious.

My question may be wee bit more sophisticated.

Let's say a rich, progressive, English speaking, professional and Global Islamic class and ideology evolved in British India. To wit M A Jinnah, Iqbal, Surhawardy, Maulana Azad, Aligarh Muslim University etc.

The middle-east was not even on the map. No Gulf, no petrodollar Saudi Arabia. No Oil rich Iran, nothing.

Pakistan came to be and said philosophy was readily available for inheritance so Pakistan rather then English Egypt, Palestine, Malaysia or even secular India would naturally become the inheritor of modern Islam.

Sad that the dictators squandered such a rich pioneering, avant-garde legacy and an oil resurgent Arabia took over the leadership of Islam from where they may have lost it earlier, specially to Turks in Istanbul, the Baghdad Caliphate, Mughal India specially the House of the Nizam of Hyderabad.

Will the new democratic Pakistan pls. stand up and show the way to the rest of the Islamic world by recovering and adapting it's India style Globally harmonised post colonial legacy, or will it lose it's way and fall back in line as an also ran type re: the elder brother of the Islamic world?

The similarity in profile to a revitalised Turkey was noted by Jinnah himself. It is probably a lost legacy, unless the democratic resurge of these past few weeks turns out to be a genuinely game-changing transition to normalcy, which is what everybody is hoping desperately hard that it will be (almost everybody).

Let us wait and see.

in 1948 india was aggressor when it attacked kashmir

1971 war not even closely about india when india attacked pakistan when it was in the mid of a civil war, india was aggressor

in 1980s india was aggressor when it attacked and occupied siachen a pakistani part

in 1990s kargil was in response to that

^^

Misinformation!

Check your facts.

If not trolling, you'll be reported to the mods for misrepresentation and flaming.

---xxx---

Pak is a smart enough country to run with it's rag-tag democracy.

The powers that be, the US , India, EU insist on it, and the traditional nasties, the military, the fundamentalists, Russia and China have been defanged to a large extent.

I was thinking wouldn't it be nice if Chins, Rudsia, Iran, India, Pakistan and Central Asia became full blown, MFN type, one currency trading bloc?

What say?

@patentneer Don't know about common currency, but do read about SCO.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit more info. pls., link

Question: Pakistani public and industry can benefit massively by cooperation with Indian economy like Canada-US.
Like Canadian Co.'s and economy, Pak Co.'s can naturally turn suppliers of choice and often tech. to Indian OEM behemoths who also leverage giant size, mass desi scale, costs, politics etc. to muscle in on regional markets. Pak Co.'s should plug into the sub-continental industrial eco-system . More natural than Western, E. Asian or Chinese scene, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom