What's new

Antony upset over ‘attitude’ over defence units in Kerala

kurup

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 14 (IANS) Defence Minister A.K. Antony who hails from Kerala is irked by the “attitude” of the people in the state towards defence industries. He said that defence units cannot be run like any other industry.
Antony’s remark had its first affect when former Congress legislator George Mercier, a trade union leader, stepped down from the leadership of the party-backed Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC).
“Till 2011, I got in six units of my department into Kerala but now I don’t have the courage to get another one into Kerala because the attitude towards defence establishments here is not proper. A defence unit cannot be treated like any other industry,” said Antony, while speaking at the BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Limited (BATL) here.
Antony is deeply upset after a controversy broke out when the employees of a defence unit came out in the open seeking a clarification from him on the status of the company.
“Every time my close friend Chief Minister Oommen Chandy meets me, he seeks more support from me, but honestly something is wrong somewhere. I am helpless because I can’t sort out the issues here and I do not know how it can be sorted out also,” added Antony.
Incidentally, it was Antony who took the lead and in March 2007 the state government handed over Kerala Hi-tech Industries Limited (Keltec) to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
It made way for BrahMos Aerospace – a joint venture company between the DRDO and the Russian government. The company has emeregd as one of the leading missile integration and defence production units in the country.
For sometime things remained calm but now the unions are up in arms and they feel this is a private company. It is this attitude that has irked Antony.
Antony was here to launch the integration of the air version of supersonic missiles at the BATL here.

Read more: Antony upset over 'attitude' over defence units in Kerala

Trade unions have become a headache ....................:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Kerala is the worst place to open any industry. The workers' unions have a vice like grip and resort to blackmail and intimidation. The communist mentality of so called 'workers rights' is all pervasive. They think they are the owners and resort to the age old tactic of 'might is right'.

It's a bad, bad idea to establish any defence industry there. This has been done solely for political expediency. Anthony should think again.

^^^^^

Antony slams Congress-led govt in Kerala

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: In sharp remarks critical of the ruling Congress-led UDF, defence minister AK Antony on Wednesday said a conducive atmosphere was needed in Kerala to get more defence-related units even as he praised the previous LDF regime for its "total cooperation" to him in this sphere.

"During 2004-11, when the UPA was in power at the Centre and the state was under the LDF rule, I had received total cooperation from the state government in my efforts to set up defence-related units.

"Now I don't have confidence to bring in such units to the state. For getting such units, there required a positive atmosphere," he said inaugurating missile integration complex of BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Ltd (BATL) here.

Interestingly, he made these sharp observations in the presence of chief minister Oommen Chandy and state industries minister PK Kunhalikutty.

"I don't know who is responsible for this situation. How could I defend myself if I do not get sufficient backing from you all," Antony, a former state chief minister, said.

His comments come at a time when the trade unions including the pro-Congress INTUC have been protesting against the BATL management alleging it had been pursuing anti-labour policies.

Dispelling fears voiced by unions about moves to privatize BATL, he said, "BrahMos is an Indo-Russian joint initiative with DRDO holding 50.5 per cent of shares and Russia 49.05 per cent stakes."

The company was formed in 1998 as part of Indo-Russian agreement to manufacture BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles. The BrahMos unit in Kerala's capital city was set up after taking over the state-run Keltec.

Antony slams Congress-led govt in Kerala - The Times of India

This is a huge blunder on so many levesl. If Kerala does not reap this opportunity it will be a tremendous loss of an ever important defence industry. At all costs, such defence related companies, private or public should not and cannot be held by any trade union or lobby. This is a national security issue and for the ppl of Kerala, a great opportunity to show case talent. Laws should be enacted asap that superscede such events regarding the production of defence ralted euipment and weapons. Spare no portunity to correct this issue asap. Does anyone know how AK Anthony, Kerala trade Unions and even Kerala newspapers can be reached.

Dont let this opportunnity go .....get some media attention to this issue asap.......This is a field Kerala and Malus cannot afford to loose.....it has serious major national security impications and economic opportunities in futuristic product development. Space, missiles, research could help launch Kerala in a defence powerhouse. Start with Brahmos and learn. Unions should never come into this. China would never allow such nonsense to even come in the way of such a serious issue. If thisa communist driven agenda, more thought should be paid into Leftist agendas in India? i mean who are they working for? If not us, hang them! Its called TREASON.

Create pubic and private entrepnerhsip in India with strict accounting practices. Show the world how we can make such ventures profitable and successful.

Was in Kerala till yesterday. In a matter of 2 months, I have seen 9 bandhs! If a state wants to progress, there is no way this can proceed. I have known examples of people who have burnt their hands by taking up projects in fixed time frames. Today, none of these businessmen are ready to take up any project, public or private, and commit to deadlines. Their attitude in informal atmosphere is, if we take up project we will not commit anything. The project will finish when it gets finished. For everything, there is only one answer 'samaram'. For doing any work in Kerala, you need IST + 12 hrs minimum.

The only places, I have seen, proper work and proper queues are outside the temple and liquor store. And the liquor store happens to be more orderly.

I really don't understand this stupid communist mentality present in Kerala.

Why can't they be as active as their tourism sector? BrahMos is a prestigious organization and about time Kerala's working mindset better change.

You don't become a Gujarat by sleeping all day and demanding all rights and no duties; one needs to work for it.

Do trade unions work in defence PSU ??

Its not against trade unions, what antony said was against today's congres led government's (controlled by league) stupid, greedy policies, laziness. they want commission, they will not get that frm this defence firm. same thing was happened during kochi metro case. this govt indirectly opposed and opposing DMRC and want some auctions to get commissions. really pathetic govt.

Employees union denies defence minister's clarification

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The employees of BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Ltd have refuted Union defence minister A K Antony's clarification about the status of the company, saying the proposal to acquire the then Kerala Hi-tech Industries Ltd (Keltec) and float BATL in 2007 had several ambiguities.

Antony had said that no one can take over BATL functioning under the defence ministry.

"Why is the minister hesitant to say that BATL is a public sector company if it is a subsidiary under BrahMos Aerospace? The Indian government has only 50.5% stakes in BrahMos; a company cannot be termed a public sector company unless the government has 51% shares," an employees association leader said.

An official said the tie-up between BrahMos under the defence ministry with Russia is based on a "special formula" of the Indian government to retain it as a joint venture firm with 50.5% stake. "It will have relaxed procedures on staff recruitment norms, purchase of arms, tendering and above all lot of freedom."

The employees also refuted the defence minister's claim that the company was reeling under severe loss prior to takeover and the employees had not received their salary for 20 months.

"The company had no loss during 2003-'07, though there was a crisis before that. The minister is misinformed that we had to work without salary for 20 months," the employee said.

They said the company had a net profit of Rs 16 lakh in 2003-'04, Rs 15 lakh in 2004-'05, Rs 38.83 lakh in 2005-'06 and Rs 1.26 crore in 2006-'07, indicative of its consistent growth.

The effort at cutting down its administrative expenses from 2003 to 2007 prior to the handover is also noteworthy. It was cut from Rs 82 lakh in 2003-'04 to Rs 62 lakh in 2004-'05 and Rs 46 lakh in 2005-'06 and 2006-'07.

Employees union denies defence minister's clarification - The Times of India

These unions must have been infiltrated by Naxalites..... Lol

As long as CITU & INTUC are there ( they are going to be there as long as Congress & CPM are alive) this is going to be the story in kerala.. antony was trying to help kerala by providing industries, by doing so he is screwing up the defense industry in india...he should have given critical industries to some other productive states.

Oh yeah antony has opened one more defense unit in kerala today... God knows what will happen to that!!!!!

These unions must have been infiltrated by Naxalites..... Lol

Y you wanna comment if u dont have anything productive to discuss? Oh yeah thats what we call Trolling.

Back
Top Bottom