What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

The equation that Watt created has been simplified to: Torque x RPM / 5,252 = HP

To give this an example, let’s say our engine makes 300 lb-ft of torque. At 3,000 rpm this means the engine is only making 171 horsepower (300 x 3,000 / 5,252 = 171). However, if we add performance parts to our engine and spin it a little faster, it is capable of making that same 300 lb-ft of torque at 6,000 rpm. By doubling the rpm at which the engine can make power – we now have a more powerful engine making 342 or twice the horsepower. The reason for this doubling of horsepower is that the engine is making the same torque in exactly half the time of the first engine – 6,000 instead of 3,000 rpm. Given the choice, most companys would choose the more powerful engine. But in the performance world, things get a bit more complicated.
So, how did you assumed that it has 1500 NM torque ?

So, how did you assumed that it has 1500 NM torque ?
That is just example how to calculate it.
I work on my 440, and 426 v8 s for hobby. If you know the cv12 s despilacment specs. I ll do the calculation for you.
I know 800 hp Diesel engine can pull 1500 trq, however 1500 hp dsl. Engine pulling 5 k trq is not realistic. If you have link, please attach. So I can educate my self on Diesel engines.

I work on my 440, and 426 v8 s for hobby. If you know the cv12 s despilacment specs. I ll do the calculation for you.
I know 800 hp Diesel engine can pull 1500 trq, however 1500 hp dsl. Engine pulling 5 k trq is not realistic. If you have link, please attach. So I can educate my self on Diesel engines.

MIL-SPEC
Designer: Chrysler Defense
Manufacturer: General Dynamics
Horsepower: 1,500 @ 3,000 rpm
Torque: 2,750 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm
Shaft Rotation: Counterclockwise
Exhaust Temperature: 930 degrees F
Total Dry Weight of Engine: 2,500 pounds
Fuel Types: Diesel, jet fuel, gasoline, and marine diesel
Crew: 4
Length: 387 inches
Width: 144 inches
Height: 93.5 inches
Curb weight: 69.54 tons
Ground clearance: 19 inches
Ground pressure: 15.4 psi

MIL-SPEC
Designer: Chrysler Defense
Manufacturer: General Dynamics
Horsepower: 1,500 @ 3,000 rpm
Torque: 2,750 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm
Shaft Rotation: Counterclockwise
Exhaust Temperature: 930 degrees F
Total Dry Weight of Engine: 2,500 pounds
Fuel Types: Diesel, jet fuel, gasoline, and marine diesel
Crew: 4
Length: 387 inches
Width: 144 inches
Height: 93.5 inches
Curb weight: 69.54 tons
Ground clearance: 19 inches
Ground pressure: 15.4 psi
Like I sad 5000 trq. Is not realistic.

If I understand this correctly from the specifications of the engine below:

SPECIFICATIONS
MTU MT-883 Ka-501
Displacement: 27.4L (1,676.4ci)
Engine Layout: V-12, 90 degree
Bore x Stroke: 5.7 x 5.5 inches (144 x 140 mm)
Power: 1,630 hp
Torque: 3,687 lb-ft at 2,000 rpm
Induction: Twin turbocharged
Intercooler: Air-to-coolant charge-air cooler
Cooling system: Liquid cooled
Coolant capacity: 29.05 gallons
Fuel system: Common-rail direct injection
Oil system: Dry sump
Oil capacity: 21.13 gallons (80 kg)
Dry weight: 3,968 pounds (1,800 kg)
Engine length: 59 inches (1,488 mm)
Engine width: 38 inches (972 mm)
Engine height: 29 inches (742 mm)

The Torque is 3687 lb-ft, doesn't that translates directly to 3687 Nm or do we have to multiply with 1,355? And at 2000 rpm it peaks. So that must mean that you won't get anymore pulling power from the engine.

So even if the HP is above 1500 if it cannot pull the MBT it's useless right ?

It can be confusing.

170602_engine.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
MTU MT-883 Ka-501
Displacement:
27.4L (1,676.4ci)
Engine Layout: V-12, 90 degree

Power: 1,630 hp
Torque: 3,687 lb-ft at
Dry weight: 3,968 pounds (1,800 kg)

---------------------------------------------------------
The Condor CV 12 -engine of british challenger- displacement is 26 liters and has 1200hp.
the turbine engine of the abrams delivers 5300 Nm of torque. the British CV-12 delivers 4126 Nm.

Comparing displaments of different type of engine with same horsepower, we can understand torque/displaments ratio.
Ukrainian enGine less displaments(16liters) thats why it gives less torque.
Ukrainian engine weights 1200kg,German engine 1800kg.

Zaten bu tank motorları iki motorun yanyana birleştirilmesiyle ortaya çıkmış. Iki v6 motoru yanyana kaynatırsanız olur size V12. Eğer motoru koymak için,tankın boyutlarını büyüterseniz, o tork ve hp de çokta zor olmaz .
Önemli olan optimal hacimden enfazla gücü çıkarabilecek teknolojiye sahip olabilmek.
Ayrıca bunu yaparken uzun sürede motorun sağlıklı ve az bakımla çalışmasını sağlayabilmek.

Last edited:
We should expect engine for Altay more than 26 liters.
Look, great example for mighty engines for huge tanks .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maybach_HL230

Having used aluminium parts they saved the weight .
But having been used aliminium parts in the engine, another problems appeared.
Metallurgical knowledge is the keyword.
http://defense-and-freedom.blogspot.com/2009/08/afv-mobility.html?m=1
Another important thing is mobility and fuel efficiency
The results looked like this:
Leopard 2A4: 720 l / 100 km
M1A1 Abrams: 1,478 l / 100 km
Leclerc: 1,380 l / 100 km
(The French claimed that their tank was still ill-prepared for the Swedish climate; their bad.)

Last edited:

(The French claimed that their tank was still ill-prepared for the Swedish climate; their bad.)

If you mean a double 5TD as a V10, it’s right

Aluminum has a lot of benefits for engine and other parts which involves a lot of friction and temperature changes.

First; aluminum is an interesting material. Every solid material gets micro scale damage when you heat them and let them cool. This temperature change, especially with big temperature gradients(engines have that a lot) wears the material slowly. This metal fatigue makes the material fragile in the long run. You do not want this in a tank engine. They are big, their pieces work under a lot of force, they experience a lot of exterior effects too.(Harsh enviroment, lots of shocks beacuse of driving at offroad, acoustic(explosive) shocs etc.)

Aluminum and its alloys(if chosen right) are very durable against metal fatigue caused by thermal processes. This is another advantage too. It is a good material for an engine if you want a reliable engine at the long run.

But as you said "Metallurgical knowledge is the keyword." This is the most important part.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom