What's new

All About ICC Champions Trophy 2009

Who do you think will win the ICC Champion's Trophy 2009

• Total voters
Hatts off to England. Well played, first they beat SL and now SA, both teams were favourites and in my books, England desreves to be in the final now.

I would love to see a Pakistan England final. Two teams which were written off by the pundits :disagree:

I think following will go to the semis:

1. Pakistan
2. Aus
3. New Zealend
4. England

You are right, it was a cliff hanger till 44th over. After that it was England’s game but cricket was once consider game of gentlemen and traditions. What about England’s skipper decision of not allowing Smith having a runner?

If NZ beat England tomorrow, and become #2 in their group, I'd want Pak to beat Australia.

If NZ becomes #1 or NZ loses the match, I'd want Pak to lose to Australia. Pakistan's record against the Kiwis and the English is pretty good, compared to SL.

Ideally we should have Kiwis, England is ok too but SL is not desirable. They can perform well against Pakistan.

One thing we should remember that Pakistani cricket team is considered most destructive team and some time they destroy themselves too
:agree:

Asim dude...some things are not meant to be....we are heart-broken in India...who'd have thought rain would play spoil-sport...at least in the match against Pakistan we fought with our hearts(regardless of the opinion of the Indian media)
I can't help but feel for the Indian team...I hope Pakistan wins this too...better than some gora team winning...
forget the NRR..the aussies are no walk-over...

Lolz...If India would be at the same place as where Pak and Pak at India's place .....they will surely lose the game against Aussies to prevent Pak to come up in semis.......

But dont worry, Pak will fight bravely against Aussies.

First time I will see whole subcontinent (India / Pak) would be praying for Pak win

ICC Champ Group "A"

Pakistan

Played= 2
Won = 2
Points = 4
NRR = +1.636

Australia

Played= 2
Won = 1
NR = 1
Points = 3
NRR = +1.00

India

Played= 2
Lost = 1
NR = 1
Points = 1
NRR = -1.08

West Indies

Lost = 1
NR = 1
Points = 1
NRR = -1.50

First time I will see whole subcontinent (India / Pak) would be praying for Pak win

Well I think if Pak wins against Aussie (Which ofcourse will be close game)....sttill there would be no chance to India come up in semis......there NRR cannot be far batter the Aussies.

Indian NRR is so low that Pak has to badly beat Australia and Indians have to badly beat the Windies.

Doable, but judging from the Eng/NZ match tomorrow, we'll be doing our own thing :P. We should play our full strength against Australia since you don't get practice chances like these often. Especially we don't :P.

Well said Pak shld play with full strength.
Aussies are not kids they will do every to win or atleast they will never give a cake pie to Pak.

I feel India shld get prepare to go home.

What if India loses against the Windies, what will the Indian media do to them then?

:cheers:
What if India loses against the Windies, what will the Indian media do to them then?

Wt u can expect?
They worship cricket, they think they are fighting against PAK in cricket.....which they lost 69 times.
:rofl:

I think they would kill Dhoni and party, if they lose against WI.

I think WI should give up the match for the sake of their lives.
:rofl:
:cheers:

Well I think if Pak wins against Aussie (Which ofcourse will be close game)....sttill there would be no chance to India come up in semis......there NRR cannot be far batter the Aussies.

Yeah, we should not take this practice match seriously, lets have some test launches, no matter even if those tests failed, coz those Failed tests can be Good for us in future but these failed tests will be very lethal for our enemies :bounce:
anyways the RR of India is lower than WI, aussies wont go down to that level, lucky Indians survived yesterday :lol:

What India need to do to go through

A look at the margin of the results of the last two Group A games needed for India to sneak into the semi-finals

The washout in Centurion means India and Australia will battle it out for one semi-final slot in Group A, with Pakistan already through. If Australia beat Pakistan on Wednesday, they'll obviously go through as toppers in their group, while Pakistan will take the second slot. It'll get more complicated, though, if Australia lose to Pakistan and India beat West Indies. Then, the margins of the wins will decide which team joins Pakistan in the last four.

The vital question is the margins of victories. Currently, the difference between the net run-rates of Australia and India appear vast: +1.00 for Australia, -1.08 for India. The good thing from India's point of view, though, is that those numbers have come about on the basis of one match only - the stats from no-result matches are excluded in the calculation of net run rates. Thus, Australia's positive net run-rate is because they've scored 50 more runs than they've conceded (in the win against West Indies), while India have conceded 54 more runs than they've scored (in the defeat against Pakistan).

For India to pip Australia, they need to ensure that they redress that balance; in other words, they need to make up for that combined difference of 104 runs. If, for example, Australia lose by 50 runs and India win by 54, the net run-rates of both teams will be exactly zero (in which case the tie-breaker will be balls per wicket for each team in completed matches). If the margin of either result is one run more, Australia's NRR will slip below India's.

That difference of 104 can be made up in any combination - if Australia lose by 20, India will need to win their game by 85 runs (assuming Australia chase and India bat first). If Australia lose by 104, a one-run win will suffice for India.

The logic is similar if Australia bat first and if India chase, though it'll be much tougher for India to overcome the NRR deficit: if Australia and West Indies both score 250 batting first, Pakistan and India will both need to chase the runs in about 40 overs for India's NRR to sneak ahead of Australia's.

It's a tall order for India, whose only advantage is that theirs is a day-night game on Wednesday, which means they'll know exactly what they need to do halfway into their match.

These Kiwis are looking really badass. England's on 98/7! 28th over!

2ea3d9955126b2de1bee5f5f4b93076f.jpg

Pakistan captain Younis Khan finds himself in a unique position as his men take on Australia tomorrow in Centurion. Already through to the semi-finals, a third win in the group might help India, should they beat West Indies in Johannesburg, to join them in the final four.

Though Pakistan will experiment with their line-up against Australia to account for injuries as well as giving their bench strength a run, there will be no let-up in their approach. There is even a part incentive, says Younis, in the hope perhaps of playing against India in the final.

"I am just planning about each game as it comes," Younis said. "I wish India play in the final against us but we will not worry about that in our game tomorrow. We'll be trying our best. My wish is to win against the top teams, like South Africa, Australia and India. There is nothing in my mind about losing to Australia, and whether India will be out. It is only about what I can do for my country."

When Pakistan beat India by 54 runs at Centurion, it was one of the best-attended games in the tournament, in which crowds have generally been poor. The game was sold out two weeks prior to the match being played, prompting Younis to call for more games between the two neighbours.

Currently, relations between the two countries have cooled considerably from the mid-2000s, following the Mumbai terror attacks last year. That, in turn, has affected cricketing relations between the two and, until the Centurion game, they had not played each other in an international in over a year.

"Who was the biggest winner when we played at Centurion? Cricket. India and Pakistan should play. If we do not play, cricket will not benefit. Players become big names when they perform in these matches. The biggest sold-out crowd here was for that game."

Younis did, however, ask for these games to be treated as normal matches, appealing for calmer reactions from fans on both sides following good or bad results. "We lost to India in the Twenty20 final. Then we beat them the other day, what difference does it make? If we win a final, we'll be so happy anyways that we won't care which team we beat. All I say is, keep it normal. Don't hype us up too much if we beat India, or don't bring India down so much if they lose. This is not how life should be on winning or losing. Life should go on as normal. If Dhoni loses then don't get after him or get after us if we lose. Sports leave as sports and no more (sic)."

-------------------------

Bang on target Younis. One of the most admirable and no-nonsense guys around in world cricket. I have been a fan of his attitude since long, not so much of his batting though. But really I always look up to his sportsman spirit like I look up to Sachin. So keep smiling Younis. Its infectious in a good way.

On the other hand about tomorrows match I don't think India stand a practical chance to go to the semis. Also from the performance they have shown so far (mainly bowling in both the matches, batting was ok against Pak, batting first with that effort India could have easily got to 300), I don't think they deserve it too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom