What's new

Air Combat - The world's top fighting aircraft

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
starting a thread on the world's top fighting aircraft in use with various airforces around the world - the thread will take a few days to complete!

1- A-4R Fighting Hawk, Argentine Air Force;

A-4R Facts & Figures
Argentine is one of only five countries still flying the A-4 in military service.Others are Brazil, Israel and Singapore. Nine nations flew this type excluding the USA.

2,960 aircraft were built and a estimated 165 remain in service. BAe flight systems based at Wittmund AB, Germany is one of the civilian operators.

Argentine was one of the largest foreign users of the A-4 with around 130 delivered from 1966 through to 1977 when the US placed an embargo on spare parts. Original aircraft were designated A-4P, although the air force continues to call them A-4Bs.

During the 1982 Falklands war, Argentine A-4s sank HMS Coventry and HMS Antelope and inflicted serious damage on others including notably RFA Sir Galahad.

In 1993 veteran aircraft from the war were replaced by an order for 32 fromer US Marine Corps A-4Ms and four two-seat QA-4Ms and soon after work to modernise the airctaft began.

Fighting Hawk upgrade involved a complete overhaul of the airframe, modern cockpit and multi-mode radar positioned in the nose. Aircraft are now designated as A-4R and QA-4R.

QA-4R are operational and do not have a specific training role.
Two Squadrons are now based at Grupo Aereo 5 de Casa Base Aereo Militar Villa Reynolds.

On May 30,1982, four A-4Cs joined two Super Etendards in the attack on the British aircraft carrier HMS Invincible. Two Skyhawks were lost.

Combat Fact;
Skyhawks flew 282 combat sorties, lost 19 aircraft and 17 pilots during the Falklands campaign.

starting a thread on the world's top fighting aircraft in use with various airforces around the world - the thread will take a few days to complete!

1- A-4R Fighting Hawk, Argentine Air Force;

A-4R Facts & Figures
Argentine is one of only five countries still flying the A-4 in military service.Others are Brazil, Israel and Singapore. Nine nations flew this type excluding the USA.

2,960 aircraft were built and a estimated 165 remain in service. BAe flight systems based at Wittmund AB, Germany is one of the civilian operators.

Argentine was one of the largest foreign users of the A-4 with around 130 delivered from 1966 through to 1977 when the US placed an embargo on spare parts. Original aircraft were designated A-4P, although the air force continues to call them A-4Bs.

During the 1982 Falklands war, Argentine A-4s sank HMS Coventry and HMS Antelope and inflicted serious damage on others including notably RFA Sir Galahad.

In 1993 veteran aircraft from the war were replaced by an order for 32 fromer US Marine Corps A-4Ms and four two-seat QA-4Ms and soon after work to modernise the airctaft began.

Fighting Hawk upgrade involved a complete overhaul of the airframe, modern cockpit and multi-mode radar positioned in the nose. Aircraft are now designated as A-4R and QA-4R.

QA-4R are operational and do not have a specific training role.
Two Squadrons are now based at Grupo Aereo 5 de Casa Base Aereo Militar Villa Reynolds.

On May 30,1982, four A-4Cs joined two Super Etendards in the attack on the British aircraft carrier HMS Invincible. Two Skyhawks were lost.

Combat Fact;
Skyhawks flew 282 combat sorties, lost 19 aircraft and 17 pilots during the Falklands campaign.

Sir, Do you mind if I complete your thread on A-4 and join you.

Jabar 1

Pls by all means and welcome to the board!

2 - A-10C Thunderbolt II, US Air Force
King of CAS
A10-C Facts & Figures

Originally conceived during the 1960s as a counter-insurgency aircraft to aid the war efforts in SE Asia, the aircraft has emerged as an exceptional close air support (CAS) and forward air control platform.

Official name was derived from the World War II P-47 Thunderbolt, however, its ungainly appearance inspired the more commonly used nickname "Warthog" which in turn was shortened to "Hog".

Fairchild built over 700 for the USAF - the type's sole user.

Entire current fleet of 350 a/c are expected to be upgraded to A-10C under the Precision Engagement Program which will enable the a/c to deliver the latest PGMs and enhance its combat effectiveness.

Renowned for its outstanding agility at very low level and survivability, titanium "bathtubs" protect the pilot and ammo from hostile fire - the a/c can stay airborne having sustained substantial battle damage.

Typically flies at a relatively low speed of 345 mph (555 km/h) ideal for ground attack role.

Can carry a considerable amount of stores on 11 stations including cluster munitions, LGBs, JDAMs, AGM-65 Maverick AGMs and AIM-9 Sidewinder AAMs.

Primary built-in weapon is the incredibly powerful 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling Cannon capable of firing at a rate of 3,900 rounds per minute.

Achieved an impressive combat record during the Gulf war. Flew 8,100 sorties and destroyed more than 900 iraqi tanks and 2,000 military vehicles. First reported air-to-air kill was an iraqi helicopter in Feburary 1991.

Seven A-10 aircraft was shot down during Operation Desert Storm.

Two permanent A-10 Fighter Wings are based outside the US. The 51st FW at Osan AB, South Korea, and the 52nd FW at Spangdahlem AB, Germany.

Scheduled to stay in sevice with the USAF until 2028

Last edited:
in due time - hold on to your jets!:rofl:

mig-21/f-7 is the fighter which is used by several countries and stll in service.service period of mig-21 is more then 50 years and took a part in many battels.i know mig-21 is junk now,but no aircraft can b comapred in the mater of service,battels and used by no.of countries.:D

mig-21/f-7 is the fighter which is used by several countries and stll in service.service period of mig-21 is more then 50 years and took a part in many battels.i know mig-21 is junk now,but no aircraft can b comapred in the mater of service,battels and used by no.of countries.:D

no one is denying that!

3 - A-37 Dragonfly, Uruguay Air Force
A-37 Facts & Figures
First delivered to the Uruguay Air Force in October 1976.

Small light attack aircraft with crew of two.

Nearly 580 built with approximately 60% going to Latin American countries.

A-37 concept derived in the early 1960s from converted T-37s used for close air support.

Roles include air superiority, close air support, maritime patrol and reconnaissance.

FAU A-37s have undertaken active service in the fight against counter-insurgency and, more recently, participated in anti-narcotic operations.

Uruguay is one of nine Latin American operators of the type. others include Chile, Honduras and Peru.

Combat Fact;
Heavily modified to carry six 100-gallon fuel tanks to increase range and carry a greater weapons payload.

thankyou sir for your informative posts,

i have to agree with danger-zone. let us move to the planes we are more concerned with, the mig 21, 27 and 29! the Su-27 the mirages and F7!

however i can wait for there turn but wish it comes soon!!

2 - A-10C Thunderbolt II, US Air Force
King of CAS
A10-C Facts & Figures

Originally conceived during the 1960s as a counter-insurgency aircraft to aid the war efforts in SE Asia, the aircraft has emerged as an exceptional close air support (CAS) and forward air control platform.

Official name was derived from the World War II P-47 Thunderbolt, however, its ungainly appearance inspired the more commonly used nickname "Warthog" which in turn was shortened to "Hog".

Fairchild built over 700 for the USAF - the type's sole user.

Entire current fleet of 350 a/c are expected to be upgraded to A-10C under the Precision Engagement Program which will enable the a/c to deliver the latest PGMs and enhance its combat effectiveness.

Renowned for its outstanding agility at very low level and survivability, titanium "bathtubs" protect the pilot and ammo from hostile fire - the a/c can stay airborne having sustained substantial battle damage.

Typically flies at a relatively low speed of 345 mph (555 km/h) ideal for ground attack role.

Can carry a considerable amount of stores on 11 stations including cluster munitions, LGBs, JDAMs, AGM-65 Maverick AGMs and AIM-9 Sidewinder AAMs.

Primary built-in weapon is the incredibly powerful 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling Cannon capable of firing at a rate of 3,900 rounds per minute.

Achieved an impressive combat record during the Gulf war. Flew 8,100 sorties and destroyed more than 900 iraqi tanks and 2,000 military vehicles. First reported air-to-air kill was an iraqi helicopter in Feburary 1991.

Seven A-10 aircraft was shot down during Operation Desert Storm.

Two permanent A-10 Fighter Wings are based outside the US. The 51st FW at Osan AB, South Korea, and the 52nd FW at Spangdahlem AB, Germany.

Scheduled to stay in sevice with the USAF until 2028

Dear Sir,

I look forward to yet another informative and well-researched piece from you. These assemble available data in a very convenient form, and really deserve appreciation.

However, you have captioned the thread Air Combat, and till now, the two aircraft I have read about have been ground attack aircraft. I am encouraged, because both the military services of Pakistan and India, at this point, need ground attack aircraft more than they need any other type. This type has obvious advantages during counter-insurgency operations. The use of sophisticated air superiority fighters, even multi-role fighters for close quarters low speed high load runs is not convincing, no matter how good the pilots are at adapting themselves. It is like using a scalpel to chop onions.

For that matter, the utility of this type for every other air force in the South Asian region suggests itself; hardly any promotion is required, although we still find very high performance low stamina point interceptors being given a higher priority.

Having said which, may I ask if other types will be featured in your overview, or you plan to concentrate on the ground attack type (which in my personal opinion, is an excellent idea in itself).

Regards,

'Joe S.'

and also mig-21 has no comparission with any other aircraft in the mater or versions.mig-21 hav un countable versions which wer used for different purposes.like this one..

and the one we r using the most advance version f7-pg

they r different versions of advance f-7

Dear Sir,

I look forward to yet another informative and well-researched piece from you. These assemble available data in a very convenient form, and really deserve appreciation.

However, you have captioned the thread Air Combat, and till now, the two aircraft I have read about have been ground attack aircraft. I am encouraged, because both the military services of Pakistan and India, at this point, need ground attack aircraft more than they need any other type. This type has obvious advantages during counter-insurgency operations. The use of sophisticated air superiority fighters, even multi-role fighters for close quarters low speed high load runs is not convincing, no matter how good the pilots are at adapting themselves. It is like using a scalpel to chop onions.

For that matter, the utility of this type for every other air force in the South Asian region suggests itself; hardly any promotion is required, although we still find very high performance low stamina point interceptors being given a higher priority.

Having said which, may I ask if other types will be featured in your overview, or you plan to concentrate on the ground attack type (which in my personal opinion, is an excellent idea in itself).

Regards,

'Joe S.'

Thanks Joe - we will be catering to all types of combat a/c:enjoy:

I was once KO'd by a 777 does it count as a fighting aircraft?:lol:
Great thread fatman17, I look forward to more...:enjoy:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom