What's new

Agni III Test Tomorrow.

i am not disputing that we have this or not
i am not too sure of the yield as the tested device yielded only 45 kt which is too low

we need more tests,that what i think but cannot do that

Karan Thapar: I want to pick up on that last point that you have just made. Given that doubts continue and given that there are going to be no further tests and you are not saying that there is any need for further tests - can you say India has a credible thermonuclear bomb?

Anil Kakodkar: Of course.

Karan Thapar: We have a credible thermonuclear bomb?

Anil Kakodkar: Why are you using singular? Make that plural.

Karan Thapar: So you are saying to me that we have thermonuclear bombs--in the plural?

Anil Kakodkar: Yes.

Karan Thapar: With a yield of at least 45 kilotonnes each.

Anil Kakodkar: Much more than that.

Karan Thapar: Much more than that?

Anil Kakodkar: Yes. I told you we have the possibility of a deterrence of low kilotonne to 200 kilotonnes.

Karan Thapar: I want to pick up on that last point that you have just made. Given that doubts continue and given that there are going to be no further tests and you are not saying that there is any need for further tests - can you say India has a credible thermonuclear bomb?

Anil Kakodkar: Of course.

Karan Thapar: We have a credible thermonuclear bomb?

Anil Kakodkar: Why are you using singular? Make that plural.

Karan Thapar: So you are saying to me that we have thermonuclear bombs--in the plural?

Anil Kakodkar: Yes.

Karan Thapar: With a yield of at least 45 kilotonnes each.
Anil Kakodkar: Much more than that.
Karan Thapar: Much more than that?

Anil Kakodkar: Yes. I told you we have the possibility of a deterrence of low kilotonne to 200 kilotonnes.

good good

This is an old news. India is believed to have developed 300 to 400 KT TN device weighing 400 KG. Agni III with 3 to 6 of such divices will be a very deadly weapon.

but its a fact that we have tested only a 45 ton fission device only.

now we can put a true thermonuclear fusion device there but its untested,,,its plain and simple.

also was this another version of agni-3??

can anyone tell me whether agni has been inducted or not??
heres GOI declaration
Press Information Bureau: Government of India news site, PIB Mumbai website, PIB Mumbai, Press Information Bureau, PIB, India’s Official media agency, Government of India press releases, PIB photographs, PIB photos, Press Conferences in Mumbai, Union Minister Press Conference, Marathi press releases, PIB features, Bharat Nirman Public Information Campaign, Public Information Campaign, Bharat Nirman Campaign, Public Information Campaign, Indian Government press releases, PIB Western Region
The 15 kt fission nuclear weapon had evolved from the PNE device tested in 1974, with substantial changes that were needed to make it smaller in size and weight from the point of view of weaponisation. The two-stage thermonuclear device, with a fusion-boosted fission trigger as the first stage and with the features needed for integration with delivery vehicles, was tested at the controlled yield of 45 kt and had the purpose of developing nuclear weapons with yields up to around 200 kt. The sub-kiloton devices tested again had all the features needed for integration with delivery vehicles and were tested from the point of view of developing low-yield weapons and of validating new weapon-related ideas and sub-systems. It was gratifying that all the devices functioned perfectly in all aspects certifying the quality and robustness of the designs. Thus the carefully-planned series of tests carried out in May 1998 gave us the capability to build nuclear weapons from low yields up to around 200 kt. A great deal of further scientific and technical development work has taken place since then.

heres GOI declaration
Press Information Bureau: Government of India news site, PIB Mumbai website, PIB Mumbai, Press Information Bureau, PIB, India’s Official media agency, Government of India press releases, PIB photographs, PIB photos, Press Conferences in Mumbai, Union Minister Press Conference, Marathi press releases, PIB features, Bharat Nirman Public Information Campaign, Public Information Campaign, Bharat Nirman Campaign, Public Information Campaign, Indian Government press releases, PIB Western Region
The 15 kt fission nuclear weapon had evolved from the PNE device tested in 1974, with substantial changes that were needed to make it smaller in size and weight from the point of view of weaponisation. The two-stage thermonuclear device, with a fusion-boosted fission trigger as the first stage and with the features needed for integration with delivery vehicles, was tested at the controlled yield of 45 kt and had the purpose of developing nuclear weapons with yields up to around 200 kt. The sub-kiloton devices tested again had all the features needed for integration with delivery vehicles and were tested from the point of view of developing low-yield weapons and of validating new weapon-related ideas and sub-systems. It was gratifying that all the devices functioned perfectly in all aspects certifying the quality and robustness of the designs. Thus the carefully-planned series of tests carried out in May 1998 gave us the capability to build nuclear weapons from low yields up to around 200 kt. A great deal of further scientific and technical development work has taken place since then.

the thing is there are numerous reports of sub normal than expected yield thats why iwas saying we need another test

but guess thats impossible now:(

the thing is there are numerous reports of sub normal than expected yield thats why iwas saying we need another test

but guess thats impossible now:(
if you are talking about dr.santhanam i think u must see this

India should work on light weight megaton devices for its MIRVs.

As a second-strike, it should be as massive as one can make.

now jump from 200 kt to a megaton while reducing size is not that easy

especially when tests are very important to design such things and we cannot conduct new tests

MIRVs don't require to be megaton . Even the US MIRV only has 400KT yield .

good good

Actually all nuclear power had TN device in a very short period of time (Except Pakistan), say a decade, had the TN device. No reason why India should not have it. Actually India has planned 3 type of bombs. 20-40 KT. 200 KT and 1MT. once this is over India will go for 3 MT bomb.

The yield was a intentionally kept low to avoid the damage in near by villages because village would have to be vacated otherwise. Which would have exposed the plan which was intended to be kept secrete. Only primary stage proper ignition would not have given even 45 KT yield. Pl read the following from IDSA paper.

Shakti ITwo stage thermonuclear device with fusion boosted primary, intended for missile warhead;

test design yield 45 kt, with a 200 kt deployed yield

Afterall we are a very advance nation in nuclear technology. We had tested first device in early seventies. TN bomb is not a big issue for us. We have mastered the fast breeder technology and we are operating the one of its kind reactor since early eighties. Forget about TN bomb, we are heading towards control nuclear fusion.

The problem is, you simply cannot keep the yield "intentionally" low and still come out with only 45kT yield (official claim) of a 2-stage thermonuclear weapon. But yes, you can scale down say, a 500kt weapon to 200kt by removing most of the 2nd stage fusion fuel.
In this case only the primary stage, the boosted fission trigger, seemed to work to the full extent. The secondary stage seems to contribute a very minor percentage to the total yield.

I am not implying that India cannot develop thermonuclear weapons.

The very fact that a couple of high-ranking, officially involved persons refuted Indian Government's official claims of thermonuclear testing suggests that that test was not a successful one. Nobody goes out in the public to make such claims just because he has "doubts". As for the explanations given by Mr. Kakodkar, well of course he will try to cover it up.

P.S. You need to dial down that nationalistic overconfidence of yours, because making statements about Agni-III having more than 5500km range and MIRVs, and Ballistic missiles having 2m CEP (not even achieved by the much slower, GPS-guided Excalibur Artillery Round) and capable of cruise flight profile at the terminal stage isn't going to prove anything.

Actually all nuclear power had TN device in a very short period of time (Except Pakistan), say a decade, had the TN device. No reason why India should not have it. Actually India has planned 3 type of bombs. 20-40 KT. 200 KT and 1MT. once this is over India will go for 3 MT bomb.

:disagree:

Last edited:
The problem is, you simply cannot keep the yield "intentionally" low and still come out with only 45kT yield (official claim) of a 2-stage thermonuclear weapon. But yes, you can scale down say, a 500kt weapon to 200kt by removing most of the 2nd stage fusion fuel.
In this case only the primary stage, the boosted fission trigger, seemed to work.

The highlighted point is not my own but it is coppied and highlighted in my post. After all we have fast breeder and other sophisticated nuclear technology for 3 decades or more. We tested Nuclear device in 1973 i.e 40 years ago. so I do not see anything strange in believing it.

The very fact that a couple of high-ranking, officially involved persons refuted Indian Government's official claims of thermonuclear testing suggests that that test was not a successful one. Nobody goes out in the public to make such claims just because he has "doubts". As for the explanations given by Mr. Kakodkar, well of course he will try to cover it up.

When you say that couple of high ranking scientist refuted it, you ignore the fact that 2 even high ranking scientist said that it was perfect and hailed it. Mr R Chidambaram and Anil Kakodkar has given very elaborated replies on the topic. You can read it if you have an interest. Now to believe that or not is based on individual's perception. So far as reliability is concern, Kakodkar and CHidambaram is more authantic than antbody else as they are head of AEC.

P.S. You need to dial down that nationalistic overconfidence of yours, because making statements about Agni-III having more than 5500km range and MIRVs, and Ballistic missiles having 2m CEP (not even achieved by the much slower, GPS-guided Excalibur Artillery Round) and capable of cruise flight profile at the terminal stage isn't going to prove anything.

You see I do not have any reason to believe that Agni III do not have more than 5500 KM range. When our small Agni IV can hit a target at 4000 KM away, why A III (2 m Dia against 1.3 m Dia) can not hit target 5500 KM away? Any answer is there with you? MIRV is planned. I do not say that it has at present. WIKI states that A III has a 4500 KM range with 2500 KG payload. DO you have any reason to not believe it? I have posted a very long and elaborated article on this thread only. You can read it if you want. 2 M CEP is for prahar and not for any other missile. Tassy thomas has clearly stated that we achieve single digit accuracy in A V second test which nobody else is not known to have achieve. We have lots of videos on net for Brahmos achieving Zero CEP. So if you can not believe it, it is up to you. The logic If some body else has not received it so we can not achieve it does not fit in case since we have moved ahead a lot in last decade. You are going to witness the same in aviation in coming decade. We are on the way to achieve very high AOA and very low weight in Tejas program. People will accept it, if not today than tomorrow.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom