What's new

Across Nepal, Hindi channels will be closed tomorrow

If you look at map of Nepal we have 75 districts. And acc to current constitution it guarantees atleast 1 MP to each districts. the districts in south occupies lesser area but have denser population whereas districts at north have bigger area and is sparsely populated. So according to new constitution every districts gets atleast 1 CA member so that no districts will be left out with any representatives and considering population further CA representatives would be. Added at given ratio which is same for both hills and terai. Which means if kathmandu or any densely populated hill cities gets 1 MP for every 1 lakh population so will madhes.
But you see the population n northern districts is so low that if you have provision of having CA members according to demographics only then you'll have no one to represent the whole of northern districts. And let me remind you the CA constituents from northern districts are mostly indegenious people and not "hill elites".
Now tell me would it be fair?
Also let me remind you if India also decides to have population according to demographics Sikkim, ladakh, Jammu , Mizoram will get no CA representatives.
You tell me is it fair that Sikkim despite having 5 lakh population gets 1 Mp and UP despite having 20 crore population doesn't get 400 is it fair? Well thats the question madhesis are asking.
And also Nepal is Moutain, hills and terai, not just madhesh and mountain. They are decieving people calling it terai and mountain but Nepal has 3 distinct topography plains, hills and mountains.
If you look at the madhesis demands the mountains will be left out. There will be no CA representatives from Mountains. And also remember people do live in mountains and they have hardest life to endure.
And also Madhesis are getting 79 seats out of 165 not 65. Please confrim via other souces. Prashant Jha is highly highly radicalised journalist.

I donot know what Pakistan did and not but I know what is fair and not.
I know its unfair that 50% madhesis are not getting 50% seats but its even more unfair for mountain districts to not have any CA members.

Just slow down and THINK.....Terai people with more than 50% population is getting only 65 seats out of 165, and mountain people with less than 50% population is getting 100 out of 165 seats, no matter whatever way you twist it, it is plain unfair. The constituencies were divided purposefully in such a way to ensure perpetual rule of mountain people over the Terai people, and the discrimination against the Terai people in Nepal for decades is not a secret. In your example, our UP still gets a much higher representation than smaller states, it's not lower than Sikkim's. It was not difficult to align the constituencies in such a way that Terai people get their fair share, not such a skewed one where they can never be in power constitutionally and perpetually. Nowhere in a civilized democracy a majority group is a constitutional minority. Don't you think the majority here would revolt?

And I have checked with multiple sources, it's 65 only, please quote a credible link if it is otherwise.

We could see how India was not happy that Nepal passed this constitution

Another false blame. It was India who worked with Nepal for almost a decade to built consensus among the political parties in Nepal to bring a fair democratic constitution, and at the last moment Nepal made some changes to make it undemocratic. We wouldn't even work with Nepal if we didn't want to see Nepal getting a democratic constitution.

Ladakh Sikkim are all exceptional cases. If we would tried pull the same stunt that you guys are doing we would have disintegrated in 500 pieces by now. No sizeable demographics would like their political influence undercut on such flimsy grounds. Protesting against India won't solve your constitutional problems, it would be better if you have a peaceful dialogue with agitating groups.
Wow you could have exceptional case and we couldn't.

Wow you could have exceptional case and we couldn't.

As I mentioned earlier, Nowhere in a civilized democracy a majority group is a constitutional minority under any exception.

Just slow down and THINK.....Terai people with more than 50% population is getting only 65 seats out of 165, and mountain people with less than 50% population is getting 100 out of 165 seats, no matter whatever way you twist it, it is plain unfair. The constituencies were divided purposefully in such a way to ensure perpetual rule of mountain people over the Terai people, and the discrimination against the Terai people in Nepal for decades is not a secret. In your example, our UP still gets a much higher representation than smaller states, it's not lower than Sikkim's. It was not difficult to align the constituencies in such a way that Terai people get their fair share, not such a skewed one where they can never be in power constitutionally and perpetually. Nowhere in a civilized democracy a majority group is a constitutional minority. Don't you think the majority here would revolt?

And I have checked with multiple sources, it's 65 only, please quote a credible link if it is otherwise.

If you have checked Indian newspaper who depends upon Prashant Jha for facts , go ahead. I have it in nepali but I will look for it and will message you here.
We had 75 districts outline some 60 years ago and each districts have its own court, hospital and every necessary infrastructure.
Now Nepal will have 3 level government , one central, next state and third one local. The local government will have one distric under it. So each district would have a representative.
In my example, Sikkim is getting atleast one MP, ladakh got atleast one MP, and UP isnt getting 400 MPs.
Why isnt UP getting 400 MPs if India too follows CA constituents by demographics?
So only Terai people need MP? if we go madhesis way Mountain districts are sure to not get any MP.

Another false blame. It was India who worked with Nepal for almost a decade to built consensus among the political parties in Nepal to bring a fair democratic constitution, and at the last moment Nepal made some changes to make it undemocratic. We wouldn't even work with Nepal if we didn't want to see Nepal getting isnt democratic constitution.

So, 90% majority is undemocratic and 67% majority is democratic. To interfere in someone else's internal matter is democratic and to come to a descision by people's elected representative is democratic.
Indians might have good thought about Nepal but hard to say so about Indian politicians or bureaucrats. Wont talk much about Indo Nepal relation, you will try to justify just about anything.

I have already wrote about it so much and you still dont see it as a blockade. Once again there are no protest areas but there is blockade in those areas too.
Once again Indian drivers if they dont feel can choose to not come but at
East allow our NO 's oil tankers.

Ill try to find a link and post it here.
Otherwise dont bother to comment, wont reply.

Terai, hills and Mountains are all integral part of Nepal. You cannot ask for mountains to be left out so that Terai gets more.

As I mentioned earlier, Nowhere in a civilized democracy a majority group is a constitutional minority under any exception.
Here is your majority.

So, 90% majority is undemocratic and 67% majority is democratic. To interfere in someone else's internal matter is democratic and to come to a descision by people's elected representative is democratic.
Indians might have good thought about Nepal but hard to say so about Indian politicians or bureaucrats. Wont talk much about Indo Nepal relation, you will try to justify just about anything.

I have already wrote about it so much and you still dont see it as a blockade. Once again there are no protest areas but there is blockade in those areas too.

Terai, hills and Mountains are all integral part of Nepal. You cannot ask for mountains to be left out so that Terai gets more.

Here is your majority.
Just do it and bother not about the southern neighbours.Not much they can do once the die has been cast.
Just make sure to open up multiple sources of supplies to avoid incidents.

Here is your majority.

In a globalized world you cannot do whatever you feel like in your country in the name of sovereignty, today India is asking you for a fair constitution, tomorrow UN will force you to do it. What your "Democratic" constitution ensures is that the minority mountain people will always form the government and majority Terai people will always be in the opposition no matter how they vote. That's another new method to discriminate against the Terai people and have them as 2nd category citizens in their own country (they already are 2nd category citizens though). Since that's not democracy, why don't you guys just junk the idea of this farce and just make it a monarchy of the mountain people?

If you look at map of Nepal we have 75 districts. And acc to current constitution it guarantees atleast 1 MP to each districts. the districts in south occupies lesser area but have denser population whereas districts at north have bigger area and is sparsely populated. So according to new constitution every districts gets atleast 1 CA member so that no districts will be left out with any representatives and considering population further CA representatives would be. Added at given ratio which is same for both hills and terai. Which means if kathmandu or any densely populated hill cities gets 1 MP for every 1 lakh population so will madhes.
But you see the population n northern districts is so low that if you have provision of having CA members according to demographics only then you'll have no one to represent the whole of northern districts. And let me remind you the CA constituents from northern districts are mostly indegenious people and not "hill elites".
Now tell me would it be fair?
Also let me remind you if India also decides to have population according to demographics Sikkim, ladakh, Jammu , Mizoram will get no CA representatives.
You tell me is it fair that Sikkim despite having 5 lakh population gets 1 Mp and UP despite having 20 crore population doesn't get 400 is it fair? Well thats the question madhesis are asking.
And also Nepal is Moutain, hills and terai, not just madhesh and mountain. They are decieving people calling it terai and mountain but Nepal has 3 distinct topography plains, hills and mountains.
If you look at the madhesis demands the mountains will be left out. There will be no CA representatives from Mountains. And also remember people do live in mountains and they have hardest life to endure.
And also Madhesis are getting 79 seats out of 165 not 65. Please confrim via other souces. Prashant Jha is highly highly radicalised journalist.

I donot know what Pakistan did and not but I know what is fair and not.
I know its unfair that 50% madhesis are not getting 50% seats but its even more unfair for mountain districts to not have any CA members.

Whatever maybe the deficiencies in electoral practises of India, it still provides more populous regions of India more MP seats, respecting basic demographics.

This feature is missing in Nepal. It limits the political power for the Terai region which has half the population but lower seats. All the protests originate from this & then to it racial & ethnic dimensions gets added turning the whole discourse toxic.

Fix this anomaly and Nepal's internal dissatisfaction will dissapear. But who will bell the cat?

Last edited:
In a globalized world you cannot do whatever you feel like in your country in the name of sovereignty, today India is asking you for a fair constitution, tomorrow UN will force you to do it. What your "Democratic" constitution ensures is that the minority mountain people will always form the government and majority Terai people will always be in the opposition no matter how they vote. That's another new method to discriminate against the Terai people and have them as 2nd category citizens in their own country (they already are 2nd category citizens though). Since that's not democracy, why don't you guys just junk the idea of this farce and just make it a monarchy of the mountain people?
UN has already welcomed our constitution.
There is terai, pahad and himal in Nepal. There is no terai and non-terai. 50% live in terai, 49 % in pahad and maybe 1 % in himal.
Also could you please post anyother links except Prashant Jha's one where it is said terai is getting 65 . Ill try my best to find it for you where it is mentioned 79 seats fro terai and perhaps maybe you"ll change ur view.
There is hill there is mountain and there is terai. Understand that. You cannot avoid people of mountain.

Whatever maybe the deficiencies in electoral practises of India, it still provides more populous regions of India more MP seats, respecting basic demographics.

This feature is missing in Nepal. It limits the political power for the Terai region which has half the population but lower seats. All the protests originate from this & then to it racial & ethnic dimensions gets added turning the whole discourse toxic.

Fix this anomaly and Nepal's internal dissatisfaction will dissapear. But who will bell the cat?

First of all , all of terai wont be one state , madhesh state will still have one of the highest respresentative.

If Terai has more population, it should get more seats in the National Assembly.Same for other regions.

UN has already welcomed our constitution.
There is terai, pahad and himal in Nepal. There is no terai and non-terai. 50% live in terai, 49 % in pahad and maybe 1 % in himal.
Also could you please post anyother links except Prashant Jha's one where it is said terai is getting 65 . Ill try my best to find it for you where it is mentioned 79 seats fro terai and perhaps maybe you"ll change ur view.
There is hill there is mountain and there is terai. Understand that. You cannot avoid people of mountain.

First of all , all of terai wont be one state , madhesh state will still have one of the highest respresentative.

From the regional population breakup given by you, there is an easy solution. Terai: 50% seats. Himal: 1% & Pahadi: 49% irrespective of ethnic distribution.

Does the new constitution provide for such a distribution?

If yes, it is fair. If no, it is unfair & will remain an open wound. In the long term it will create problems for Nepal.

If Terai has more population, it should get more seats in the National Assembly.Same for other regions.

From the regional population breakup given by you, there is an easy solution. Terai: 50% seats. Himal: 1% & Pahadi: 49% irrespective of ethnic distribution.

If yes, it is fair. If no, it is unfair & will remain an open wound. In the long term it will create problems for Nepal.

Nepal is not having 3 states i.e. Terai, himal and pahad. Nepal is having 7 states.
And terai is getting 79 out of 165 , 10 if for mountains and rest for hills.

Since sikkim is getting 1 MP for 5 Lakhs residents, UP is not getting 400 for its 20 crore population. Yes or NO?

Last edited:
Nepal is not having 3 states i.e. Terai, himal and pahad. Nepal is having 7 states.
And terai is getting 79 out of 165 , 10 if for mountains and rest for hills.

Does UP that has 16% population of India gets 16% constituents in CA? Yes or NO?

1) I have not said 3 states. 3 regions as mentioned by you.

2) If 79/165 for Terai is true , it is adequately fair. Can you provide any govt notification or relevant section of the new constititution where it is mentioned for cross-reference. Thanks.

3) Our constituency per state is fixed. Only playing room is delimitation which redistributes constituency boundaries to ensure similar population per constituency in the state. Hence, the variation in no of voters/ constituency in different states.

Not ideal but mantains seat primacy to high population regions while providing minimum possible representation to under- populated regions.

4) UP population: 16% of total
UP seat quota: 14.78% of total in Parliament

Nearly equivalent even after over-representing underpopulated regions in the Parliament. And this primacy is guaranteed via Constitution.

Last edited:

2) If 79/165 for Terai is true , it is adequately fair. Can you provide any govt notification or relevant section of the new constititution where it is mentioned for cross-reference. Thanks.

3) Our constituency per state is fixed. Only playing room is delimitation which redistributes constituency boundaries to ensure similar population per constituency in the state. Hence, the variation in no of voters/ constituency in different states.

Not ideal but mantains seat primacy to high population regions while providing minimum possible representation to under- populated regions.

Nearly equivalent even after over-representing underpopulated regions in the Parliament. And this primacy is guaranteed via Constitution.

You see Nepal will have 7 states and if you compare each and every state then madhesh state i.e. State 2 wont have anything less.
And we are recently getting federelized and deliniation is being done for the first time. We are also doing the same . You see northern districts are so sparsely populated so minimum one CA member is guaranteed there. And if we go by just demographics we wont have any CA member from northern districts.

Sure, I will look into it and post it here.
Thank you for wonderful response.

But if north not having solves the problem then we are fine with it . Because such bloodsheds and killings cannot go on forever. Afterall people wont be getting anything. Its only about politician.

And we are recently getting federelized and deliniation is being done for the first time. We are also doing the same . You see northern districts are so sparsely populated so minimum one CA member is guaranteed there. And if we go by just demographics we wont have any CA member from northern districts.

Sure, I will look into it and post it here.
Thank you for wonderful response.

But if north not having solves the problem then we are fine with it . Because such bloodsheds and killings cannot go on forever. Afterall people wont be getting anything. Its only about politician.

Good luck.
You can use Assam/ Arunachal arrangement w.r.t. National Assembly seats as reference.

Arunachal Pradesh is much larger state but has only 2 seats compared to more densely populated Assam which has 14 seats.

Similar to Himal/Pahad or Himal/Terai in Nepal.

Good luck.
You can use Assam/ Arunachal arrangement w.r.t. National Assembly seats as reference.

Arunachal Pradesh is much larger state but has only 2 seats compared to more densely populated Assam which has 14 seats.

Similar to Himal/Pahad or Himal/Terai in Nepal.

Same here in Nepal.
Good luck.

Yes same here in Nepal. Much larger states of hills will have low CA constituents. Comapred to Pradesh 2 i.e. Madhesh pradesh who will have higher CA constituents.

I could only find the article in Nepali. If you have any Nepali friend please ask them to read the nirwachan chetra i.e. Point 4 part.
बहस : मधेसका ४ असन्तुष्टि, केही भ्रम र  संविधानको अन्तरवस्तु :: Nepal, Political News, Science, Social, Sport, Ecomony, Business, Entertainment, Movie, Audio, Video, Nepali Model, Actor, Actores, Interview

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom