What's new

A truly multi-cultural India is a myth

I'm not a saint either, bro. . . sometimes even i troll. .:ashamed:

But not in situations like these. . . someone has lost his life and we are busy making it a troll fest :(

I too troll from time to time, ( I guess it runs in subcontinental blood:cheesy:), and yes it truly is unfortunate that some member dont know when to stop trolling.....:disagree:

I was born in Sylhet, which borders Assam. There are many manipuri in my village (sunamgonj) and my mums birthplace (maulvibazaar), most of the monipuris were born in Maulvibazaar. I don't know if they are in the capital.

I know many of them personally, when i went back to my country to build my house the electrical wiring, mati khata (soil cutting) was all done by monipuri contractors.
Do they speak their language or bengoli ? convince one of their young to come to this forum

@LoveIcon ...India is not pakistan....Indian know what happened is wrong....and we are with our NE brothers in their protest...
....we have survived the worst days ......and we will survive the future...:)

With all due respect.

Please stop this India is not Pakistan line. It doesn't help matters bro. We do have a problem when it comes to this. It is not just a Delhi problem or a northie problem either :)

they were mere witnesses , news channels reported last night , if anything changed over night then i m not aware..

I'm not sure bro, but Police need something to start the investigation . . . may be they started with the witnesses :tup:

With all due respect.

Please stop this India is not Pakistan line. It doesn't help matters bro. We do have a problem when it comes to this. It is not just a Delhi problem or a northie problem either :)

:tup:
No one is denying it bro, . . its a shameful act. . we are sorry for what happened to that guy. . ..some of the students are even protesting in DU. . . And this is the only thing we can do ( creating awareness is included ) . . . but u can see the intentions of some of the posters from your side. . . . . keep on repeating the same lines again and again doesn't help it.. . its frustrating. . may be thats why he said those lines.

they were mere witnesses , news channels reported last night , if anything changed over night then i m not aware..

You are a North Easterner? If you are, have you faced discrimination while in India? Or racist slurs?

:-)

@Spring Onion

There are more murders of brown round eyed Indians on any given day, so are we to presume that we are racists towards brown round-eyed Indians? There are stereotypes of every region in India. What you need to understand is stereotype =/= racism.

Here repeat with me,

Stereotype =/= racism.

Yeah, except Murders have motivations behind them.

Someone shoots their wife for infidelity. It is called a crime of passion.

Someone shoots their business partner in a property dispute, motive is pecuniary interest.

If I go out on the street and beat up a North Easterner whilst calling him slurs, the motive is racism. Plain as day.

One of the first things police ask for is the motive of the Murder. If a North Easterner was killed, and no monetary, crimes of passion or other reasons are involved, guess what, it is usually because the motive is racism.

Last edited:
You are a North Easterner? If you are, have you faced discrimination while in India? Or racist slurs?

:-)
I m from assam and belong to Bodo-kachari tribe. I`ve lived in Delhi for 1 year , i didn`t hear any racist comment being made against me but I `ve been shouted at MC-BC for no apparent reason(may be coz its part of delhi lingo) . I didn`t argue and usually mind my own business and stayed away from getting into trouble , some were very helpful while others were very rude, usually bus conductors .. stayed few weeks in Kolkata too ,people were very nice there(I would say soft).

Last edited:

:lol:

I m from assam and belong to Bodo-kachari tribe. I`ve lived in Delhi for 1 year , i didn`t hear any racist comment being made against me but I `ve been shouted MC-BC for no apparent reason(may be coz its part of delhi lingo) . I didn`t argue and usually mind my own business and stayed away from getting into trouble , some were very helpful while others were very rude, usually bus conductors .. stayed few weeks in Kolkata too ,people were very nice there(I would say soft).

I don't know what's worse. People denying racism in India, or people trolling on it.

Well you cannot wake up the ones pretending to sleep. Likewise you won't understand, there is no racism in India. Anyways carry on with your drum beating.

If the definition of Racism includes discrimination, unfairness, prejudice,hatred, favoritism, then I have to say sadly,yes we have been racist from generation to generation. I appreciate your nationalism but again don't agree with the view.

:lol: and Muslims are NOT Indians .

hain naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hey something for you to laugh at

Nellie massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's not completely dismiss the 'Muslim' angle here. The truth is, there is ethnic tension here too.

And for your ignorant Indian every NE Indian is from this same amorphous identity.

If the definition of Racism includes discrimination, unfairness, prejudice,hatred, favoritism, then I have to say sadly,yes we have been racist from generation to generation. I appreciate your nationalism but again don't agree with the view.

What? You mean some of the Indian posters here who called Africans uncivilized, and inferior to Indians are not racist?

No. I think you are wrong :-)

I m from assam and belong to Bodo-kachari tribe. I`ve lived in Delhi for 1 year , i didn`t hear any racist comment being made against me but I `ve been shouted MC-BC for no apparent reason(may be coz its part of delhi lingo) . I didn`t argue and usually mind my own business and stayed away from getting into trouble , some were very helpful while others were very rude, usually bus conductors .. stayed few weeks in Kolkata too ,people were very nice there(I would say soft).

I hae heard that people from Bihar, U.P and sometimes Bengalis are targets of violence there. 'Hindi' speaking folk.

Hey something for you to laugh at

Nellie massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's not completely dismiss the 'Muslim' angle here. The truth is, there is ethnic tension here too.

And for your ignorant Indian every NE Indian is from this same amorphous identity.

What? You mean some of the Indian posters here who called Africans uncivilized, and inferior to Indians are not racist?

No. I think you are wrong :-)

I hae heard that people from Bihar, U.P and sometimes Bengalis are targets of violence there. 'Hindi' speaking folk.
There are bengolis every where , I`ve never heard them being targeted infact Bengolis are part of greater assamese communtiy , the southern and western districts are all bengoli dominated district approx 70-80 percent of population, somuch that you will have to speak bengoli in those areas .. people donot target UP or Bihari they have flourishng buisness here . But there have been incidents where insurgents have killed hindi speaking folks in rural jungle areas , usually the one who owns land which local community considered as there property. (in the district of karbi anglong) .. Assamese communtiy is too small and fragmented to be violent against non assamese. Its usually the insurgents who carry out such incidents.

There are bengolis every where , I`ve never heard them being targeted infact Bengolis are part of greater assamese communtiy , the southern and western districts are all bengoli dominated district approx 70-80 percent of population, somuch that you will have to speak bengoli in those areas .. people donot target UP or Bihari they have flourishng buisness here . But there have been incidents where insurgents have killed hindi speaking folks in rural jungle areas , usually the one who owns land which some community considered as there property. (in the district of karbi anglong) .. Assamese communtiy is too small and fragmented to be violent against non assamese. Its usually the insurgents who carry out such incidents.

That makes sense :tup:

The recent death of a youngster from the country’s north east has again brought into focus issues of integration and widespread racism

2582657901.jpg

“Oh you’re from Manipur, do you know kung fu?” he asked me, as his friends sniggered. “Like this,” he went on to add, as he chopped the air and attempted his best Bruce Lee moves. Laughter broke out at the shoe shop in central Bengaluru. Seething, I wanted to punch him in the face. Or land a nice one on his groin as he did a mock split. But my brother intervened, distracting me with a question and quickly ushered me out of the shop. Having spent all his high-school years in south India, he perhaps knew best not to react.

It was my first experience though, being jeered at like that in my own country. And although it was 20 years ago, I still remember clearly the feeling of isolation and the sudden realisation of how different I was from them. And oh, the anger. I have learned to suppress those feelings over the years. Resentment turned to acceptance. So much so, that even when the taunts were more menacing — “Dog eaters”, “Ping Pong,” “Chinki”, “We should cut you away from India” and the classic “How far is Manipur from India?” — I would sigh them away. My mother’s stern words would always echo in my head: “You’re there to study and become someone. I don’t want to hear anything else.”

However, the new generation, it seems, does not see it that way. It is fighting back. People are now standing up for themselves, asserting their place in their own country. And it is leading to tragic ends, like the recent death of the teenager Nido Tania in New Delhi, a city with the largest concentration of people from India’s northeastern region. According to the North East Support Centre and Helpline (NESC&H), more than 414,850 people from northeast India moved to the cities — Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai — between 2005 and 2010. That number has more than doubled in the last few years.

Manipur, where I was born, is one of seven states from that region, a region barely connected to the rest of India. We are not only geographically isolated from the mainland, we are culturally and ethnically closer to India’s neighbouring countries China, Myanmar and Bhutan.

Because of this, insurgency is rife in many states, with many armed groups still fighting for secession from India since the country’s formation in 1947. Some states ban Bollywood films, which they see as a manifestation of Indian culture, while in some places, even the singing of the Indian national anthem in schools is not allowed. Instead, more western cultures flourish — thanks to a huge Christian population and teenagers now grow up on a heavy diet of South Korean films imported across the border from Myanmar, which has also influenced a thriving sub-culture, from fashion and music to even language. The effects of India’s economic boom have failed to spill over to the region. That, coupled with its myriad political problems, have forced many people to move to the mainland to seek a better life and opportunities.

They take with them those long-held feelings of isolation and neglect, which in-turn manifest into deeper wariness and heightened sensitivities of their place in the larger society. “Increasing contact will mean increasing confrontations,” A. Bimol Akoijam, an associate professor at the School of Social Sciences in Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in Delhi told me, following the death of Richard Loitam, a student from Manipur in Bengaluru in 2012, after being beaten allegedly for being “different”. His death triggered a wave of anti-hate crime protests in the country. “Indian society is inherently racist, and issues such as cast and colour are ingrained in its psyche,” Akoijam added.

Last year, two Swedish economists set out to examine whether economic freedom made people any more or less racist. They picked a study by World Values Survey, which asked respondents in more than 80 different countries to identify the kinds of people they would not want as neighbours. The more frequently people said they did not want neighbours from other races, the less racially tolerant you could call that society, they thought.

The results, published in the Washington Post, put India as one of the least tolerant, with more than 40 per cent of respondents saying they would not want a neighbour from a different race.

Surveys are never accurate representations, but with this rising tide of protests and increasing number of hate crimes against people from the north east, it is difficult not to give it some weight.

India has always projected itself as a truly multicultural and tolerant society. The reality on the ground, I can attest, is very different. Since 2012, there have been three recorded deaths which have been specifically attributed to attacks against people from the country’s northeastern region. And that is just one group of people. Caste system still exists widely, divisions between the rich and the poor, the light and the dark-skinned is still rife. And religious tensions have led to thousands of deaths in the past.

The Swedish researchers I mentioned concluded that economic freedom had no correlation with racial tolerance.

Where does that leave a rising economy like India with its complicated social structures and multiple ethnicities? It is time for some soul-searching.

A truly multi-cultural India is a myth | GulfNews.com

:angel::pop:

Being a sich a large country with 1.2 bn such cases does not put serious challenge s on Indian rich diverse society. ..... n the whole nation is behind our NE brthrs...... no matter who committed., justice shud b delivered without unnecessary delay..... Second the incident happened in delhi so not surprised Delhi is not even safe for even locals residents of Delhi. ......
In general local people across india does not like outsiders even nearby villages or distt .... ...... they committs racial stuff some time out of thr unawareess abt NE people.........
Bhai theyNE shud b treated atleast better than Kashmiri traitors.........

Back
Top Bottom