What's new

A Local Engineer building a tank for the army...!!

This is a world war I tank

stchamondtanks.jpg

Notwithstanding, the BD engineer is attempting to do something.

The look does not matter, however its effectiveness does. This is the start of our indegenious tank projects, so lets just hope everything turns out ok:cheers:

look does not matter...we have to see usefulness comparing to low cost........ the news says it is made by army engineer shahidul islam and will be used for training instead of t59 in Dinazpur Cantonment only..... The tank will provide better view of surroundings to all crews as it has three separate monitors inside it .... and again it is a prototype.... he built it, army approved it.... i dont think he worked on looks yet.....if it is effective then there is enough time to care about it's look.... oh yeah. Just call Lipu. He will give it type 99 look!!:cheesy:

point is this is the beginning...... and i am happy for it

This is where I would like to make a small correction.

You train on equipment that you will use in war and not anything else.

Eg one would train with the rifle that is being used in the Army and not train on say a Musket.

images

Musket

images

The reason is simple.

Each piece of equipment is different in performance and handling.

You cannot fly a Cessna and then expect that you can fly a Boeing Dreamliner!

For static training of the tank crew, one has a simulator which replicates the conditions inside the tank in service and the conditions that will be experienced in the battlefield.

Lets say even with the looks...it might take around 1/1.2 crore taka, which is again very reasonable.

If this tank works out well...the real engineers can get in the act and develop it further. That wont be an issue.

Cheers!!!

Doesn't even look like a tank. A tank that took 7 months at a cost of 7 lacs seems hardly a ground-breaker, but regardless it's a start.

I wont even mind if we can use it as IFV or even light tanks for that matter. At least we have a start. I hope the tank serves as a good trainer.

Cheers!!!

Lets say even with the looks...it might take around 1/1.2 crore taka, which is again very reasonable.

If this tank works out well...the real engineer can get in the act and develop it further. That wont be an issue.

Cheers!!!

we will get chinese help if we want...... designing tank is not a matter....... reality is we can not afford to build our own tanks... as metal parts are very difficult to produce with right alloy for engines and others.......... i just liked the tendency of our Army.......

I wont even mind if we can use it as IFV or even light tanks for that matter. At least we have a start. I hope the tank serves as a good trainer.

Cheers!!!

I did say it is a start ;) But I feel after 40 years, we should have been able to do that a longer time ago. We don't even mass produce our own cars right now, so let alone designing and engineering a tank all by ourselves.

Having a capable tank as per Bangladesh's defense requirements is important however. Might want to look into what happened to the Iraqi tank divisions up against the US M1 Abrams. It wasn't pretty.

we will get chinese help if we want...... designing tank is not a matter....... reality is we can not afford to build our own tanks... as metal parts are very difficult to produce with right alloy for engines and others.......... i just liked the tendency of our Army.......

Well even though that remains a fact...but i think a bit of initiative and resources can help us do it. We can build our own tanks but yes, there are lot of political and economic strings attached.

China is always there...we first need to look into our home. If we can even make 5 tanks...that will be our own to be acknowledged.

Cheers!!!

I did say it is a start ;) But I feel after 40 years, we should have been able to do that a longer time ago. We don't even mass produce our own cars right now, so let alone designing and engineering a tank all by ourselves.

According to me, 40 years aint THAT along tiime...but yah, we could have attempted something similar earlier.

Cars are coming by soon if i recall...by 2012. Petrol boats are coming by. Tanks should not be far away!

Having a capable tank as per Bangladesh's defense requirements is important however. Might want to look into what happened to the Iraqi tank divisions up against the US M1 Abrams. It wasn't pretty.

Lol lets not talk about the arab armies and their general. They buy all those shiny toys as they have $$$...but forget to train their soldiers on how to EFFECTIVELY operate them. They think numbers win games...no offence whatsoever.

In the Israel - Arab 6 day war...WW2 vintage Sherman used by the Israeli Army took out many T-62, that were modern tanks the arabs had by that time. Shows that wars are won by people...not machines.

Cheers!!!

According to me, 40 years aint THAT along tiime...but yah, we could have attempted something similar earlier.

Cars are coming by soon if i recall...by 2012. Petrol boats are coming by. Tanks should not be far away!

Lol lets not talk about the arab armies and their general. They buy all those shiny toys as they have $$$...but forget to train their soldiers on how to EFFECTIVELY operate them. They think numbers win games...no offence whatsoever.

In the Israel - Arab 6 day war...WW2 vintage Sherman used by the Israelil Army took out many T-62, that were modern tanks the arabs had by that time. Shows that wars are won by people...not machines.

Cheers!!!

Lots of difference between WWII Sherman and the Israeli Sherman.

Israel began to upgrade Shermans with French CN 75-50 75 mm guns to create the Sherman M-50. The first 25 M-50s were finished just in time for the October 1956 Operation Kadesh in the Sinai against the Egyptian Army. The first 50 M-50 tanks had Continental R-975 gasoline engine and VVSS suspension, the rest had Cummins diesel engine and HVSS suspension. In 1960s, 180 M4A1(76) Sherman tanks began conversion to the diesel Sherman M-51 with HVSS and French CN 105 F1 105 mm gun. Both M-50 and M-51 saw combat in the Six-Day War and also were employed in the 1973 Yom Kippur War. M-50 Continental were retired by 1972. M-50 Cummins and M-51 were gradually phased out in late 1970s to early 1980s. In total, about 620 Sherman tanks were purchased by Israel in 1948-1967.

On T62

During the Yom Kippur war, the T-62 was an effective adversary for Israeli Patton and Centurion main battle tanks armed with 105 mm tank guns. The T-62 had an advantage in its better night-fighting capability, but Syrian losses were heavy. The Israelis captured several hundred of these tanks from the Syrians in 1973, and put some of them into service as the Tiran-3. About 120 Tiran-3 were modernized and received the designation Tiran-6. Only a small number was converted because the new US made M60 main battle tanks started arriving in Israel.[17] A small tank brigade consisting of two enlarged tank regiments, each equipped with 46 Tiran-6 tanks, was formed.[17] The Tiran-6 is used by reserve units. The Israelis have sold the rest to assorted countries, many in Latin America

Wiki

Do let us know how and where Shermans destroyed T 62s.

In the Israel - Arab 6 day war...WW2 vintage Sherman used by the Israeli Army took out many T-62, that were modern tanks the arabs had by that time. Shows that wars are won by people...not machines.

The Israeli Sherman was more advanced than the original WWII one. The Israelis used Centurions to take out Syrian T-62s.

There is a famous incident in which two damaged Israeli Centurions took out an entire division of Syrian T-62s. A good tank along with a good tank crew makes a big difference!

The only person from Bangladesh who is not daydreaming or knowledge denied is Zabanya.

I don't agree with him on many issues, but I cannot for once not ponder even if I don't agree, that maybe he has a point that I have failed to see!

Like it or not, when I find a whole lot of bunk being splayed around, I hope Zabanya will surface and clear the muck.

Thank you. Zabanya.

You make me realise that Bangladesh still has people who can face the reality and steer it out of the mess and put it back on the path to becoming a nation that is worth admiring on its own steam and not by the cacophony of decrying others.

As I see it, Bangladesh has potential and it can surely become a nation worth reckoning, provide it see reality and works steadfastly without bothering about others but reaping benefits from all and pushing towards its goal!

I wonder how much it weighs... as the cost of the steel used itself might surpass the given cost of this tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom