What's new

A layman's analysis on our last two MMRCA contenders

EFT ground capability is good and it will improve over time with upgrades lets think of it this way its the closest fighter aircraft to being a stealth fighter but not actually being a true stealth fighter it has ground capability but not proven in war come on now this entire competition was based on over all technical terms which the EFT is best in expect to see EFT in IAF colors in 2016 brothers :)

EFT'S 2G are good- where have you get that from???( it can only drop GBU24 right now and fire brimstones for ground targets.):fie:
It will improve - how can you say that nearly all EFT partner countries sre cash stripen and allready going for F35.):meeting:
It's the closest stealth design - so what?? and I think Gripen NG 's rcs is less.:undecided:
this competition was about overall tech terms- but still Rafale suits us the best.:shout:
God EFT is not even completed.:hitwall:

And for the bolded part which fighter are you talking about MKI or Rafale???
of course su 30 and its 10m rcs. probably its rcs isnt that big a problem in 2day's age but still......
God EFT is not even completed.
these a/c will be there with india for atleast the next 30 years
its present status shoudlnt be given 2 much importance

anyway these things dont matter anymore. what matters is the lowest bidder
does anyone have any secret knowledge 2 share about the bids:devil::devil::devil:

of course su 30 and its 10m rcs. probably its rcs isnt that big a problem in 2day's age but still..
1st of all buddy ur rcs value of su 30 mki is wrong it's value is 4 m2 rcs according to global security .org Radar Cross Section (RCS) & it's rcs is a problem as both pakistan & china are having awacs so it can be detected earliear than from a conventional fighter jet radar .
its present status shoudlnt be given 2 much importance
it really matters as look out f35 issue as some saying it is a white elephant project .& it is having many other problems as well ,but rafale i agree no country has bought it but it is a combat proven platform in case of air to ground capabilties with an operational aesa radar in next year.
anyway these things dont matter anymore. what matters is the lowest bidder
does anyone have any secret knowledge 2 share about the bids:devil::devil::devil:
well only IAF personnels have secret knowledge about it buddy ,may be u contact LIVE FIST ownwer Shiv Aroor,he might give u some secret news:lol:

its present status shoudlnt be given 2 much importanceanyway these things dont matter anymore. what matters is the lowest bidder

Can you plz tell me why have you posted that(bolded part)?? offcourse it matter just plz tell why will we shud buy a plane which is without a operational AESA and all the features which makes it a multirole are not going to happen b4 2018(if everything goes as planned). :)

Wars don't come after informing us they happen overnight so I think its better to remain ready for any kind of threat with a finished product.

Can you plz tell me why have you posted that(bolded part)?? offcourse it matter just plz tell why will we shud buy a plane which is without a operational AESA and all the features which makes it a multirole are not going to happen b4 2018(if everything goes as planned). :)

Wars don't come after informing us they happen overnight so I think its better to remain reddy for any kind of threat with a finished product.
well that's a point why should nt we buy a tested & combat proven platform & also we need a good air to ground capablity fighter as pak fa & Su 30 mki would do our role of air superiority so better have a plane with execellent air to ground capabilty

Great effort man, but too many wrong infos included, especially since you mixed up current capabilities and those that are planned for the future but not cleared so far and based many of your points only on estimations only (RCS, ammount of materials, ...). You should have taken the older Rafale vs EF thread since many of these things were discussed there and a lot of sources were available as well.

Wrt to the conclusion:

COMPARISIONBETWEENRAFALEEF2000.jpg

Radar - Rafale is ready and available according MMRCA requirments + fully funded vs EFs radar that has the higher technical potential (not only because of size but also because of the swashplate design), which is only industrial funded and has not even a tech demo version available now.

So when the decision is between real capability and paperspecs, I take the the first one!

HMS/TVC - Rafale has no HMS integrated yet, so how did you compared the specs yet? Nobody is paying for the TVC, again no use of comparing something that is available only on paper.

Materials - Both are using mainly the same materials, Composites, Titan, and Aluminium, only difference is the nose section, where the EF uses different Fiber, while Rafale uses Kevlar and is fiber more advanced then Kevlar???

Sensor fusion is one of the prime advantages of the Rafale with SPECTRA, FSO, the EF is not as good and for sure not better in this case.

Weapon load - You only said that Rafale has a higher payload, while the prime advantage here is, that it has 5 wet stations for fuel tanks, a dedicated pod station and can use more stations for heavy weapons too. Rafale is clearly superior in any heavy weapon config, or if long range is important, since it can use more and bigger fuel tanks.

Multi role capabilty - Where you took only estimatimations and sorry but completelly wrong infos about EF to account and you just have to check some articles about the Libyan war to understand how mistaken you are here.
While you say EF is better in BVR because of the radar (that is not existing today), I say Rafale is is at least as good, since it can be fully passive, will detecting the enemy from longer range via SPECTRA and can use between 2 different BVR weapons (METEOR/MICA) and 2 different sensors (EM/IR), while EF has only METEOR all this without the need of the AESA radar, which is only an additional capability in BVR, while it is the only capability of EF in BVR!

Armaments - specs taken from wiki and no real reason why Rafale should have inferior WVR.

Cost - :disagree: Germany has ordered T3A, which has no AESA radar, no changes at the avionics, or many of those weapons that are on offer and those costs are for the fighter + engines only, which means the flyway costs:

9 billion euro contract for 112 Eurofighter Typhoons signed

Friday, 31. July 2009

NETMA (NATO Eurofighter and Tornado Management Agency), Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH and EUROJET Turbo GmbH signed today the production contract for a further 112 aircraft, including 241 engines, for the four partner Nations: Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Eurofighter: *News Detail

The system cost ist estimated at $120+ millions, while Rafale flyaway cost is around $ 80 for the ordered F3+ which the Swiss competition confirmed as well, since it was evaluated as cheaper per unit and to operate. Not to mention that that we have to pay much additional costs to make the EF technically equal to Rafale F3+, so there is actually no doubt about which one is more expensive. Especially since this was one of the reasons the EF was rejected from nearly all competitions it was fielded!

Besides the mistakes in the specs, you finally conclude that EF is better to win MMRCA, although you didn't even mention IAF requirements, the possible role of MMRCA winner in the IAF fleet, the link to INs MMRCA competition a single time. But without taking these important point into your comparision, how can you come to a reasonable conclusion?

Again good effort, but you should have focused more on correct infos and sources to back your points, than on pics!

if i would have been IAF i would gone for 60 of each of these babies nothing to choose between them

The system cost ist estimated at $120+ millions, while Rafale flyaway cost is around $ 80 for the ordered F3+ which the Swiss competition confirmed as well
So in short F35 has a way lesser fly-away cost. I read somewhere the flyaway cost of Rafale to be around 68-70 million $. Also are there any indications of some extra features that IAF wanna add to selected MMRCA with Russian and Israeli help ? Also are we looking to US made BVRs in the weapon package for MMRCA ?

So in short F35 has a way lesser fly-away cost. I read somewhere the flyaway cost of Rafale to be around 68-70 million $. Also are there any indications of some extra features that IAF wanna add to selected MMRCA with Russian and Israeli help ? Also are we looking to US made BVRs in the weapon package for MMRCA ?

Fly away cost diff. less than 5 %

Great effort man, but too many wrong infos included, especially since you mixed up current capabilities and those that are planned for the future but not cleared so far and based many of your points only on estimations only (RCS, ammount of materials, ...). You should have taken the older Rafale vs EF thread since many of these things were discussed there and a lot of sources were available as well.
1st of all thanks buddy for posting ur valuable views on this thread i really appreciated that:enjoy: Buddy let me tell u one thing everything i posted here is a compilation many web sources & various other reputed forums including this & i have tried my level best to give here the most accurate data i could find on net .

Radar - Rafale is ready and available according MMRCA requirments + fully funded vs EFs radar that has the higher technical potential (not only because of size but also because of the swashplate design), which is only industrial funded and has not even a tech demo version available now.
So when the decision is between real capability and paperspecs, I take the the first one!
yes u r right rafale aesa radar is ready but ef 2000 radar is much better though it's not operational yet although the Eurofighter will have a Captor AESA Radar (CAESAR) by 2015 .BUt let me tell u buddy that gripen was also rejected on the same ground & it also cited the same reason why EF 2000 was selected even if it also had nt operational aesa radar,but the fact is EF2000 have shown prototype of AESA radar in their field trials,so they are still in the contention ,If they did not bring an AESA radar to the field trials, they are out of the technical bid.But despite that if our airforce are nt satisfied with that I am sure EF 2000 would be kicked out of MMRCA race it would be major reason for it's loss .Yet for comparitive reasons on pen & paper EF 2000 aesa radar is better on specification ground but as it is going to be inducted later so rafale aesa though not powerful as E captor is better on operational grounds

HMS/TVC - Rafale has no HMS integrated yet, so how did you compared the specs yet? Nobody is paying for the TVC, again no use of comparing something that is available only on paper.
no i disagree rafale has been integrated it but they had nt offer it to india ,but if india want a similiar system like EF 2000 HMSS system then topsight may be a similiar system for rafale.
TopSight

Well in January 2010, EADS offered to include thrust vectoring nozzles (TVNs) with the Typhoon's EJ200 engines for Indiabut whether india would pay for it that depends upon IAF ,but it is not impossible or out of contention.
Upgraded Eurofighter offered to Indian Air Force - Thaindian News

Materials - Both are using mainly the same materials, Composites, Titan, and Aluminium, only difference is the nose section, where the EF uses different Fiber, while Rafale uses Kevlar and is fiber more advanced then Kevlar???
EF2000 has a stealthy radome made up of GRP & FSS materials which makes it more stealthy as FSS materials are composed of a precisely defined array of metallic elements contained within a conducting frame. The use of these materials (when laid up in the correct fashion) results in a reduction in the transmission of all out of band frequencies. Therefore the radome can be designed to be transparent only to those frequencies and polarisation's used by the aircraft's own radar. This of course should lead to a reduction in the aircraft's radar cross section, from all frontal aspects at least.So ef2000 radome material is more advanced than kevlar for stealth reasons but can kevlar do that i doubt .
Eurofighter Technology and Performance : Structure

Sensor fusion is one of the prime advantages of the Rafale with SPECTRA, FSO, the EF is not as good and for sure not better in this case.
well buddy i had said both are evently matched but if u compare sensor fusion only in the terms of avionics then then rafale is clearly better than ef 2000 ,but ef 2000 has an advantage of HMSS with voice comand which gives it a liitle edge ,Also a plane should have more advanced microprocessor & software systems to integrate it,well can u plz tell me or give a link that rafale has more advanced micprocessors & software systems than EF 2000.so i wrote even ly matched but adv to ef 2000

Weapon load - You only said that Rafale has a higher payload, while the prime advantage here is, that it has 5 wet stations for fuel tanks, a dedicated pod station and can use more stations for heavy weapons too. Rafale is clearly superior in any heavy weapon config, or if long range is important, since it can use more and bigger fuel tanks.
well exaclty i had said that rafale has a heavier payload capabilty & external fuels tanks nomber depends upon the type of mission the plane is going to do .But buddy the problem is external fuel tanks add to plane's RCS while EFT typhoon's conformal fuel tanks minimises increase in drag and RCS and freeing pylons.Yes they are in developmental stage but it is going to happen
CFT-shot2.jpg

Multi role capabilty - Where you took only estimatimations and sorry but completelly wrong infos about EF to account and you just have to check some articles about the Libyan war to understand how mistaken you are here.
well brother i could only find air to ground capabilties of both the planes ,in which rafale carried out more air strikes than ef 2000 do u have any doubt on that .whilr rafale fired ASM like scalp while Ef2000 had fired only Paveway2 & 4 LGBs .There was no air to air combat in libya operations
Opération Harmattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Operation Ellamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While you say EF is better in BVR because of the radar (that is not existing today), I say Rafale is is at least as good, since it can be fully passive, will detecting the enemy from longer range via SPECTRA and can use between 2 different BVR weapons (METEOR/MICA) and 2 different sensors (EM/IR), while EF has only METEOR all this without the need of the AESA radar, which is only an additional capability in BVR, while it is the only capability of EF in BVR!
well brother ef 2000 doesnt have operational AESA radar i agree but it can also passively detect through PIRATE system & for wbvr warfare it has a convenient HMSS system with voice commnand.Well i agree mica gives advantage of dual seekers but EF 2000 also has Aimraam 120 well whether it would be given to india i doubt .
but Future BVR warfare realies on stealth reduced frontal RCS ,supercruise & supemanuverabilrty at high altitude not on low altitude ,which ef 2000 scores over rafale ,also it can carry always atleast 6 air to air missiles on any type of mission & a semiconformal bvraam missile carriage .EF2000 was primarily designed for air superiority .So ef 2000 is clear winner in BVR & within bvr warfare .though mica gives a dual seeker advantage to rafale .

Armaments - specs taken from wiki and no real reason why Rafale should have inferior WVR
well u clearly see & compare the armanents of wvbr araments of both the planes where ef 2000 has extra advantage of IRIS t ,sidewinder 9x along with AIM-132 ASRAAM ,well would sidewinder be given to india i dont know .while rafale has magic 2 & mica IR well if rafale manages to have python 5 on it's plane then it would change the balance but it looks fictitious .but if u have idea of any other missile on rafale then plz post

Cost - :disagree: Germany has ordered T3A, which has no AESA radar, no changes at the avionics, or many of those weapons that are on offer and those costs are for the fighter + engines only, which means the flyway costs:

Eurofighter: *News Detail

The system cost ist estimated at $120+ millions, while Rafale flyaway cost is around $ 80 for the ordered F3+ which the Swiss competition confirmed as well, since it was evaluated as cheaper per unit and to operate. Not to mention that that we have to pay much additional costs to make the EF technically equal to Rafale F3+, so there is actually no doubt about which one is more expensive. Especially since this was one of the reasons the EF was rejected from nearly all competitions it was fielded!
well this is the only point i may be wrong becoz i really had confusions in it as many websites are giving many different values ,so i request u to leave aside cost factor in this thread as both would change their prices to win the deal ,so price is totally in the hands of bidder

Besides the mistakes in the specs, you finally conclude that EF is better to win MMRCA,
well apart from costs & operational aesa radar in the specs i am almost correct in my specs but if u are a rafale's fanbouy then i cant do any thing :rofl:So according to specs i concluded EF 2000 is better to win MMRCA

although you didn't even mention IAF requirements, the possible role of MMRCA winner in the IAF fleet, the link to INs MMRCA competition a single time. But without taking these important point into your comparision, how can you come to a reasonable conclusion?[/COLOR]
well for iaf requirements In February 2005 Indian Air chief Air Marshal SP Tyagi said the air force would acquire 126 fighter aircraft from different countries & he said "We are not only considering their multi-role combat capabilities but also air superiority,"

role of mmRCA winner : well primarily it was for replacememnt of MIg 21 which was for air superiority so i hope it would be for air superiority but with robust Air to ground capabilties .so all in all complete multirole fighter .
the link to INs MMRCA competition a single time: well it would be a complete thread if i post all links on MMRCA as i had taken as reffrence many websites & forums & name of some forums are banned here

well buddy plz look overall last paragraph just above from the author paragraph what i had said for rafale .So i have not declared EF2000 winner ,but a better contender ,on specifications ground .Well IAF would decide which is the winner & best candidate for them not i or u or anybody on this forum.

Again good effort, but you should have focused more on correct infos and sources to back your points, than on pics!
and i once again thank u for posting ur views ,well if u remove all pics from this thread then there is absolutely nothing new on this thread & a not even a dog would bother to waste a minute to read this thread .:fie:
Well all i can say whoever wins i am happy ,the most important thing for me is that it should be inducted first without any delays & plz dont make another great indian SCAM out of it .
THANKS

well it can only be possible for TYPHOON i think

F35s flyaway cost is above $100 millions at the moment, the speculated $65 millions is nothing but media BS.
Extra features will come only from the vendors itself, be it HMS or Kaveri - Snecma engine for Rafale, CFTs or TVC for EF. No Russian or Israeli techs will be integrated.
No, since only the older AIM9 and 120 versions are integrated into the EF and even they plan to replace it with METEOR, Rafale will use MICA and METEOR. But if we get US approval and pay for the integration of the weapon, we might be able to integrate any missile or bomb we want, anyway apart from SLAM-ER which was speculated for the Rafale via UAE, the tendency is for less US weapons.

yes u r right rafale aesa radar is ready but ef 2000 radar is much better though it's not operational yet although the Eurofighter will have a Captor AESA Radar (CAESAR) by 2015 .

CESAR is only an older AESA demonstrator, the AESA offered in MMRCA is called Captor E and you have added a pic of it next to RBE 2 AESA, but the problem is, the Captor E is nothing but a paper radar so far. The first demonstration version will only fly by 2013 and although the EF consortium promises delivery of the final radar by 2015, it is already expected to have ONLY A2A modes, while A2G modes will be added with more A2G weapons only until 2018!
Even I think that the Captor - E might be the better radar when it will be available, but we can say that only when it is ready and real specs are available. Not to forget that the RBE 2 AESA won't stay the same in this time as well, future developments include GaN modules to increase the range + possible integration of additional radar arrays around the fighter (similar to Pak Fa / FGFA) to increase the radar coverage and with these upgrades, it will offer similar range again, but possibly even superior coverage.
However, since this is just future talk, just like the Captor E specs, you have to base your conclusion on the current facts and that are RBE 2 AESA ready, fulfilling IAF requirements in the radar field, offered with full ToT and source codes since 2008, fixed design reduces operational costs, mature and fully capable when IAF will induct the first Rafale.
Captor E, possibly higher potential but not even available as a demo version for testing (imo a reason to reject the EF from the shortlisting), risks of delays are high, we have to fund parts of it and IAF will get a fully capable and mature version only by the end of the decade.

You have to distinguish the facts mate!

BUt let me tell u buddy that gripen was also rejected on the same ground

Gripen was rejected for several reasons not only the radar issues and it is even far less developed than the EF T3B, because the EF "just" integrates new radar, avionics and weapons into the current airframe, while the Gripen IN would have been a complete re-designed fighter + new techs (AESA, IRST, avionics, new engine) and weapons which all are not available at the moment. The Gripen NG demonstrator is a Gripen D, with a different engine, the AESA demo and a redesigned fuselage, but not the final prototype of the IN version. There is still so many things uncertain about it and that's why no country wants it, although it is more cost-effective than the other Eurocanards.

But despite that if our airforce are nt satisfied with that I am sure EF 2000 would be kicked out of MMRCA race it would be major reason for it's loss .

No, because IAF compared the fighters not only on the current capabilities, but on those that were offered in MMRCA (this was confirmed by the last IAF chief) and while Rafale was able to demonstrate nerally anything to IAF that the F3+ will have by 2013, the EF has most of the T3B capabilities only on paper, or as premature demo version for ground testing (TVC, CFT windtunnel models...).
So they base the the evaluation not only on the result of the trials, but on all things that were included in the offer. The link with EF/Rafale and Storm Shadow/Scalp and IAF tender to get additional cruise missiles makes it too obvious where one of the priorities in MMRCA was, but Rafale can do it today (combat proven in Libya), EF can do it only in future if Storm Shadow will be integrated and if CFTs will be developed and integrated to provide enough fuel for such deep strike missions.

no i disagree rafale has been integrated it but they had nt offer it to india

Wrong, the only HMS that was tested on Rafale was a Topsight prototype:

sextant-topsight.jpg

currently there is no HMS integrated, but one from Gerfaut is on offer for export customers, while for India the Topsight seems to be more likely, since Samtel produce it in India anyway and Indian forces already use it in Mig 29K and will use it in upgraded Mig 29SMT and Mirage 2000-5.

Well in January 2010, EADS offered to include thrust vectoring nozzles (TVNs) with the Typhoon's EJ200 engines for Indiabut whether india would pay for it that depends upon IAF ,but it is not impossible or out of contention.

And they offered the same for the LCA with the EJ 200 engine, but as long as we or any other export customer don't fund it, TVC is not available for EF, since the partner countries don't want it and don't pay for it.

well buddy i had said both are evently matched but if u compare sensor fusion only in the terms of avionics then then rafale is clearly better than ef 2000...

Since the term sensor fusion includes "sensor", shouldn't that be the prime criteria for a comparison? The voice command has nothing to do with it and is only an additional feature, but don't increase the sensor fusion.

well exaclty i had said that rafale has a heavier payload capabilty

Yes, but you still seems not to understand that payload capability is not the point, but the fact that the EF has only 3 wet/heavy stations. IF it ever integrates cruise missiles for example, which are too big to be carried on the centerline station, it can only carry this config:

1 x 1000l centerline fuel tank
1 x cruise missile on each wing

So although its payload limit is not reached it can't add a single fuel tank anymore, because the other 11 hardpoints are not useful for it!

Rafale in the same scenario:

scalp3alexandreparingau.jpg

3 x 2000l fuel tanks
2 x cruise missiles

Way more range and endurance and if needed the centerline fueltank could be replaced with another cruise missile too.

As you can see it has nothing to do with the payload, but with the layout of the hardpoints and design prioirties! EF was design to for air superiority, that's why the 4 BVR missile stations at the fuselage were more important, than additional wet/heavy stations or a dedicated pod station in strike roles and the only way out of this limitation is the addition of CFTs. So deep strike capability only if the weapon + increased fuel capacity were integrated/developed.

whilr rafale fired ASM like scalp while Ef2000 had fired only Paveway2 & 4 LGBs

Rafale was used in:

Air defence
CAS - with 250Kg LGB and AASM PGMs
SEAD - with AASM PGMs
Deep strike - with Scalp cruise missiles
Recon missions - with Reco NG pod
Tanker missions - from the carrier
Is able to carry Exocet in the anti ship role

EF was used in:

Air defence
CAS - with 500Kg Paveway II (IV is only in testing yet)

And now tell me please, which fighter is more multi role capable? EF has simply a very long way to go with a lot of upgrades to be as multi role capable as Rafale, today it is even less multi role capable as IAF Mirage 2000s without the new upgrade!

Check this post also:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4056/scalp3alexandreparingau.jpg

but it can also passively detect through PIRATE system & for wbvr warfare

And I never denied that, but it can't cue a missile just with it's DASS systems and not to BVR ranges, like Rafale can and that's why Rafale is at least as capable in BVR, since it has several options to cue weapons at long ranges, not only the radar like EF.

also it can carry always atleast 6 air to air missiles on any type of mission & a semiconformal bvraam missile carriage

Rafale with all 14 hardpoints can carry 6 AAMs as well, with the difference that the MICAs can all be used in BVR and WVR!

strike-GBU-24.png

well u clearly see & compare the armanents of wvbr araments of both the planes

Again, you took very old wiki specs as the base but most of these weapons are already phased out, or were never integrated. No matter which fighter IAF chooses, METEOR will be the prime BVR missile for both, Iris-T/Asraam are the possible WVR missiles for EF, while Rafale has MICA, which has the advantage to be used in BVR as well and that both versions (IR and EM) can be used in WVR too.

well apart from costs & operational aesa radar in the specs i am almost correct in my specs but if u are a rafale's fanbouy then i cant do any thing

Sadly not buddy, there are a lot of mistakes and I am not a Rafale fanboy only because I base my opinion on the current facts and the requirements of IAF, instead on old plans and paperspecs of future capabilities that nobody is funding.
I only wants the best / most suiting fighter for our forces (IAF and IN) and I constantly said that this is the Rafale today, while 10 years ago I would have prefered EF over Rafale and even MKI!

so i hope it would be for air superiority but with robust Air to ground capabilties .so all in all complete multirole fighter .

Exactly, so you can only be for Rafale, since it offers all of this, while the EF is only good in A2A! :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom