What's new

A layman's analysis on our last two MMRCA contenders

@Somnath.

I just found out that MICA use hybrid guidance system. Onboard radar in the aircraft guides the missile (via up-link) towards the target until the missile's IR sensors picks up the heat signature of the target. So technically MICA can have 80km range.
how can it have hybrid guidance buddy it is not a single missile with 2 different seekers ,infact it is one missile with 1 sekker only either EM or IR but not both

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Sir - Why don't we put our indigenous Astra on new upcoming fighters? Is MICA is superior than Astra?
hope Astra is already delivered to our force!!
hey man 1st of all get it operational clearance , then we would put it new upcoming fighters,obviuosly MICA for it's better seeker including dual seeker technology

how can it have hybrid guidance buddy it is not a single missile with 2 different seekers ,infact it is one missile with 1 sekker only either EM or IR but not both

It has IR seeker which guides the missile in its terminal phase, in major part of its course, it has to be guided by the aircraft's onboard radar via uplink.

Its more like one way communication between the aircraft and missile, where the aircraft guides the missile towards the target.

It has IR seeker which guides the missile in its terminal phase, in major part of its course, it has to be guided by the aircraft's onboard radar via uplink.

Its more like one way communication between the aircraft and missile, where the aircraft guides the missile towards the target.
u still dont understand they are 2 misiles 1 IR mica missile & 1 EM mica missile so no question of 2 seekers in one missile
MICA EM:
m02009062200030.jpg

MICA IR:
MICA_P1220883.jpg

Satisfy yourself, these words are directly from MBDA systems. Read each and every sentence carefully.

http://www.mbda-systems.com/mediagallery/files/MICA_background.pdf

MICA missile in BVR mode introduces a new way of waging air combat by offering multi-target capability at extended ranges with the two interoperable guidance systems to hamper enemy counter measures. All carried (EM) RF or IR MICA missiles are fully BVR, being operable with or without data link target designation updating.

Is this so hard for you to understand?

u still dont understand they are 2 misiles 1 IR mica missile & 1 EM mica missile so no question of 2 seekers in one missile
MICA EM:
m02009062200030.jpg

MICA IR:
MICA_P1220883.jpg

MICA EM would have maximum range of about 50-60 km
MICA IR would have about 20-25 km

However If I am not wrong the latest R-73 have both IR and EM seeks for successful interception.
Integrating a small antenna along with the IR seeker can be done... and looking at the advances made in semiconductor field this can clearly happen.

Satisfy yourself, these words are directly from MBDA systems. Read each and every sentence carefully.

http://www.mbda-systems.com/mediagallery/files/MICA_background.pdf
Is this so hard for you to understand?

but mate it also says The MICA system comprises 2 versions: MICA (EM) RF with an active radio frequency
seeker and MICA IR with a passive dual waveband imaging infrared seeker. Both
missiles are fully qualified and in mass production, being currently flown by numerous
air forces worldwide .& on the otherhand says MICA missile in BVR mode introduces a new
way of waging air combat by offering multi-target capability at extended ranges with the
two interoperable guidance systems to hamper enemy counter measures.HOW is that possible ?
or else it is going over my head .But still it's range is only for bvr but nothing says about exact range of IR so we have to assume 60-70 km range :cry:

I think you're missing a point .... Both variants have their own ECCM in addition to one of the seekers. IR and EM seekers are two different entities, MICA can have only one of two.
thats what i am saying:hitwall:

i think i have to email MBDA general manager what is the real range of MICA IR MISSILE?
0034.gif

I think you're missing a point .... Both variants have their own ECCM in addition to one of the seekers. IR and EM seekers are two different entities, MICA can have only one of two.

ECCM is electronic counter-counter measures, while i was talking about inertial guidance system in the beginning stage.

Here's another MBDA file, look at the guidance part.

http://www.mbda-systems.com/mediagallery/files/vl_mica_sea_ds.pdf

MICA has 2 variants, IR(which used Infra-red seeker for guidance) and RF (Which uses Active mono-pulse doppler seeker for guidance). Mid course inertial guidance with inflight target data update comes standard with both of them(via uplink which i was talking about).

ECCM is electronic counter-counter measures, while i was talking about inertial guidance system in the beginning stage.

Here's another MBDA file, look at the guidance part.

http://www.mbda-systems.com/mediagallery/files/vl_mica_sea_ds.pdf

MICA has 2 variants, IR(which used Infra-red seeker for guidance) and RF (Which uses Active mono-pulse doppler seeker for guidance). Mid course inertial guidance with inflight target data update comes standard with both of them(via uplink which i was talking about).

Where did I say MICA IR doesn't have an inertial navigation system? Look its not inertial guidance system that distinguishes IR from RF variant. Both of them have same luxury (INS) until they are not in terminal phase, at terminal phase IR is different from RF, in other words its the type of MICA (in terminal phase) which is responsible for target acquisition and interception.

What all I said was "MICA IR and MICA RF are two different types and the link you shared endorses me".

All are saying the same thing....

MICA IR missile can be guided by the Aircraft till it reaches a stage where its own 'IR seeker' gets activated and tail the target.

MICA EM missile can be guided by the Aircraft till it reaches a stage where its own 'EM seeker' gets activated and tail the target, like any other BVR missile.

All are saying the same thing....

MICA IR missile can be guided by the Aircraft till it reaches a stage where its own 'IR seeker' gets activated and tail the target.

MICA EM missile can be guided by the Aircraft till it reaches a stage where its own 'EM seeker' gets activated and tail the target, like any other BVR missile.

Correct!

For those who didn't understand it although I purposly posted pics to make it even more obvious, MICA EM and MICA IR have the same frame, the same TVC capability and the same propulsion. TVC makes both versions highly agile and the same propulsion gives both version the same range! Most sources says MICA (both versions) have a range between 60 and 80Km.

captor is indeed a better radar on pen & paper only as it is not operationalized yet

Again, that's just your opinion only, based on your pure believe but nothing else! As long there is not even a tech demo version available, you don't even know how many T/R modules it will have and that's why your conlcusion is not credible!
Do you know that the Captor E with swashplate design is probably too heavy and that it shifts the weight balance of the fighter to the front? The only solutions to counter that weight is A, add more weight to the rear part and increase the emtpyweight, which then reduces the flight performance again, or B to reduce the size of the radar/smaller diameter, which then again means less performance of the radar.
The Russians have similar problems with the Zhuk AE and the integration into Mig 35, because the promised 200Km detection range would only be possible with a big diameter, but that would have caused too much weight and they had to reduce the size again.

So again, since there is not at least a flying prototype of the Captor E and some official specs all we can't compare it with the RBE 2 AESA, since we don't have any reliable specs for it.

Now u can post many reasons for it's losing ,but it has no value here

LOL, so you don't care about arguments and simply stick with what you belive and you called me a fanboy? :rolleyes:

well exactly same thing applies for E captor aesa also as it is for future only & it has not been fielded

No it don't! The AESA radar development and integration is now at least pre-funded by the EF consortium, which means it will be ready and available someday, but that is not the case for the CFT development and integration, nor for the integration of Storm Shadow! Same goes for TVC, for anti ship, anti radiation missiles, Pilum Stand off missile, Brimstone.........................
As I said, the only new weapons that are cleared for integration into EF are Paveway IV (which is already in the final test stages) and in future METEOR. Brimstone, JDAM and Storm Shadow or Taurus were planned in the past for the T3, but since the agreement on T3A, the partners could not find a common weapon package that will be integrated. That's even very logical, since Germany and Spain don't need Storm Shadow but Taurus, but Italy and UK most likely will integrate Storm Shadow to F35 now, just like Brimstone, which is likely to be integrated in the Telemos drone as well.

link/ source please

Latest from the Swiss competition:

The rafale offsets offer would include :

A Rafale final assembly line and maintenance center
The production of structural items
The Mica missile production
The development of the Rafale HMD, the OSF-NG and Spectra self defense system
Several othe military or civilian industrial cooperations (CFM-56 engine, Falcon business jets, military and civilian avionics)

Rafale News: Switzerland, National council approved the new fighter jet acquisition

It was offered for the French forces in the past, but it wasn't integrated and just like most of the EF techs, this Rafale capability is waiting to be funded by export customers (was one of the upgrades the UAE wanted from the start).

well i agree buddy but there are many other things in cluded in sensor fusion just advanced sensors wont mean the plane is having better sensor fusion

Of course, but you it wasn't me that included such things like voice command, nor did you said why there is an advantage for EF without proving it or giving credible reasons, but:

"i think Typhoon may be having an upperhand as compare to france" says it all.

so thats why they are developing conformal tanks for it to compensate that thing ,but yes it is as usual in developmental stage

That's why the EF consortium is developing some solutions, but there is no real development going on for the CFTs, since no partner country has funded it yet!

But rest all mission s though ef 2000 has not done but it can be done by ef 2000 but as usual in future

And once again, nobody has funded the addition of a recon pod, nobody has funded the addition of any weapon for SEAD... for the anti ship role.. ... ... and as long as nobody funded it? Exactly, the EF won't have this capability anywhere else than on paper!

but can rafale's spectra do that in bvr ranges i doubt can u post a link to prove it as i know it can only provide within bvr range not BVR range ie' IR missiles only

There is nothing like cueing in WVR or BVR, either you can cue weapons at target emitters or not, DASS can't so far, SPECTRA can and even showed it during SEAD missions in Libya, when it destroyed air defences from up to 60Km distance, by infos gathered from SPECTRA, which then were feeded into AASM. MICA has INS navigation capability and SPECTRA can provide target data to it as well, that's why the unique combination of SPECTRA + AASM + MICA gives Rafale passive attack capability against air and ground targets, without the need of the radar and at distances of 60 Km+.
EF needs radar to attack in BVR ranges and can only use LGBs in less than 20Km distance, so it is more detectable in A2A and has to get way closer to any ground target, which increases the risks of beeing attacked by air defences. And we saw this all in Libya!
Rafale penetrated Libyan airspace from day one, before the air defences were taken out, did SEAD missions without the support of dedicated SEAD fighters, attacked ground targets from long and safe distance with high precision and all that in various roles.
EF on the other side was fielded only after the air defences were down and at first only in Air defence roles, later it assisted the Tornado in the strike role, against bigger targets mainly and when no collateral damage was possible.

but what if EF 2000 is selected as winner so wont it be used in air to ground capabilities

If it will be selected it will be used only in CAS until 2018, when (hopefully) all A2G capabilities and the additional techs will be available, because it can't do anything else and that for more than $100 mios flyaway cost per unit!

As I said earlier, IF the Typhoon will be selected not because of it's current capabilities or the performance it offered in the trials, but mainly because of the good industrial and political advantages we will get. To make the EF useful for IAF, we have to pay additional money and fund a lot upgrades, then it might be comparable to EF.

Back
Top Bottom