What's new

8 Chinese submarines approval & used western subs talks

for navy man not for PIA
ohh i thought you meant for PIA

Defence budget: Navy pleads for fleet modernisation funds

ISLAMABAD: As part of its fleet modernisation plan, Pakistan Navy is seeking Rs15 billion over the next three years for its needs, a request that the acting naval chief made directly to Finance Minister Ishaq Dar.

Acting Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Khan Hasham Bin Siddique met the minister on Monday at the finance ministry, seeking funds to meet the navy’s more urgent needs, as well as future requirements of the naval forces, according to a handout issued by the ministry. The acting naval chief sought over Rs2 billion for meeting immediate requirements to settle bills due to China and another Rs15 billion for future needs, said an official after the meeting.

The meeting indicates that the Pakistan Navy wants to go for major defence procurements over the next few years, aimed at modernising its fleet. As the smallest of Pakistan’s three armed services, the navy usually gets only one-tenth of the total stated defence budget, with the bulk going to the army. The direct meeting with the finance minister suggests that the navy is keen to get its needs fulfilled.

For his part, the finance minister was supportive of the idea of fleet modernisation, but asked the navy to go through the joint staff headquarters of the armed forces. “The minister directed that a complete picture of Armed Forces Development Plan (AFDP) be presented in consultation with the Joint Staff Head Quarters to assess the budgetary requirements over the next three years,” said the official handout.

However, Dar was also quoted as saying: “If there is a need, the government will not hesitate to help the navy through budgetary support.”

The federal government separately provides funds for the AFDP. This funding is over and above the traditional defense budget and usually ranges between Rs165 billion to Rs200 billion. For the current fiscal year, the government has allocated Rs165 billion under the heading “contingent liabilities”, but is meant for meeting the development needs of the military.

Pakistan has always engaged in an arithmetically futile attempt to peg its defence budget to a fixed ratio with the Indian defence budget. Historically, the ratio has been three to one, but after the recent increases in Indian defence spending, the ratio has dropped to 4.5 to one, said former finance minister Hafeez Pasha.

India has a population that is six times larger than Pakistan. Its economy is nine times larger ($2 trillion vs $230 billion) than Pakistan and growing at a much faster rate. As a result, it is mathematically impossible for Pakistan to keep pace with Indian defence spending.

The Naval chief also requested the finance minister to take up the financing issue of different defence related equipment. The minister asked the naval chief to send the working paper to the Economic Affairs Division which has been directed to negotiate with Chinese authorities on a variety of issues, said the finance ministry.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 31st, 2015.

I would have instead invested some of the amount into nuclear submarine

4xconventional submarine
1xSSBN

sudden news about 8 subs and 4 frigates which together would add up to 2 - 3 billion USD
I wonder if we'll hear about more sudden major plans.

I don't think that this package would cost only $ 2-3 billion; decent sub by International standard cost more then $ 500 million on average so at least $ 4 billion would be required for the acquisition of submarines only add $ 1 billion more for frigates and other stuff so the estimated cost should be around $ 5-6 billion, but the point here should be noted that all that this package will required at least 12-15 year to get operational (including manufacturing period) which mean only $ 350-450 million additional would be required for PN annually over the period which I believe is manageable for Pakistan.

Last edited:
PN doesn't have ambitions to control entire Indian Ocean. Submarines are the right way to deal with Indian navy. They are stealthy and lethal.

I am assuming that Pakistan is looking at Chinese Subs for its naval strategic arm and western ones as counter weight to blockade ambition of IN. If order is something like $3b, Pakistan can fulfill it from own finances. However depends on payment schedule and conditions.

For right amount of money, France and UK will sell Subs. No problem in that. I would have liked them to look at Swedish Subs. They have one of the most advanced subs in the world.

sudden news about 8 subs and 4 frigates which together would add up to 2 - 3 billion USD
I wonder if we'll hear about more sudden major plans.

I think GoP might be speeding up the privatization process. If we consider the financial entities will be privatized within 6 moths to 100% how much will GoP will gain? I am sure they will give the money to Military.

why are we looking for used subs from other countries?
I think Chinese are providing us with submarines for strategic purposes(ballistic and cruise missile) only...but other westerns platforms would be used for other purposes....e.g attack subs

Furthermore, despite some setbacks Pakistan is rising as a powerful state in the world...and our navy has a strong role to play in the world politics of the near future :pakistan:

but i dont understand we have 3 augostas 90s 2 A.70s(soon to be retired)
8 chinese subs are enough we would have 11 submarines
why are we looking for used subs from other countries?
how big a fleet they intend to build
India has 16 submarines 10 Russians and 8 Germans.In addition there are 6 French subs under constructions
and a contract of a further batch of 6 is being signed. All to make Indian Navy a blue water navy,whereas Pakistan Navy
having only 5 (3 Agosta 90 and 2 old Agosta 70) submarines are good enough to protect coastal area of our country.

but uk dont have any ssks in service france wont sell them
only germany is left

The UK does have SSKs :

Upholder Class - type: diesel-electric submarine. Service status: four in active service with the RCN

Displacement: 2,455 tonnes (2,416 long tons)
Length: 70.26 metres (230.5 ft)
Beam: 7.2 metres (24 ft)
Draught: 7.6 metres (25 ft)
Propulsion: Diesel-electric- 1 shaft
2 × Paxman Valenta 2,035 hp (1.517 MW) 1600 RPA SZ diesels (3.035 MW total)
1 × GEC electric motor (5 MW)
Speed: 12 knots (surface)
20+ knots (submerged)
Range: 8,000 nmi (15,000 km; 9,200 mi)
Complement: 48

Sensors and processing systems: Sonar: Type 2040 active/passive bow,Type 2041 micropuffs, Type 2007 flank, Type 2046/CANTASS MOD towed array, Type 2019 active intercept
Fire Control: Lockheed-Martin Librascope SFCS Mk 1 Mod C

Radar: Kelvin Hughes Type 1007
Armament: 6 x 21 inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes (18 Mark 48 torpedoes)

hms_tireless_s-88.jpg

upholder.jpg

1570309.jpg

B97141460Z.120130201213127000G8027V8I.11.jpg

HMCS_Windsor_SSK_877.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

victoria2002.jpg

Haydon-3.jpg

Exported to: Canada

Upholder/Victoria-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Back