What's new

43% indians back Modi as next Prime Minister

. In any case his style will not work in India. India is not a china where authority works, one has to be a good consensus builder to be the PM, like Vajpayee. I think nitish Kumar will be ag better choice.

Something that is often overlooked. Modi runs a single party government in Gujarat with absolute majority & where he is the unquestioned boss. In any conceivable national government, it will almost certainly be a coalition where the alliance partners simply will not care or tow Modi's line. The very decisiveness that his supporters so admire will simply not happen because coalition politics make it difficult. There is simply no easy way here. Anyone believing Jayalalitha, Nitesh Kumar, Jagan Reddy, Naveen Patnaik (all possible partners) or even Mayawati simply doing what Modi asks has no understanding of politics whatsoever.

Modi has always manufactured consensus when it mattered. All this talk of him not being suitable is bunkum.. India needed a strong hand (Patel) in its inception to guide it and it needs that same Gujarati strong hand once again..

but to be PM he has to work on the dirt thats sticking to him.
also like i said he has been able to do things in Guj. Rest of india is differenet becase of the varied cultures.

Gujjus have a unique culture which is business minded and liberal. but a state like UP/Bihar/AP/WB all are very political in nature and dont mind enduring poor quality of life and trouble for their citizens to assuaeg political egos. they have too many uneducated people and the people themselves are quite corrupt an dpolarized. so the discipline that modi will demand will see a backlash in many states where people are used to freebies and gettting things without working. Suddenly telling them to work for a living will not go down well.

Modi has always manufactured consensus when it mattered. All this talk of him not being suitable is bunkum.. India needed a strong hand (Patel) in its inception to guide it and it needs that same Gujarati strong hand once again..

Where has he "manufactured" consensus? Btw, Patel was in a government with absolute majority.

Something that is often overlooked. Modi runs a single party government in Gujarat with absolute majority & where he is the unquestioned boss. In any conceivable national government, it will almost certainly be a coalition where the alliance partners simply will not care or tow Modi's line. The very decisiveness that his supporters so admire will simply not happen because coalition politics make it difficult. There is simply no easy way here. Anyone believing Jayalalitha, Nitesh Kumar, Jagan Reddy, Naveen Patnaik (all possible partners) or even Mayawati simply doing what Modi asks has no understanding of politics whatsoever.

It has always been give n take - a coalition dharma, in the words of MMS.

also like i said he has been able to do things in Guj. Rest of india is differenet becase of the varied cultures.

I think we are going into a wrong direction.

There is always a First Time for any person, before Modi became the CM of Guj in 2001, he had no administrative experience of any state & was General Secretary of the BJP, but since than he has shown his capability of good administration.

Again, till 1990s, Congress was not into coalition politics & was more comfortable with single party rule that it enjoyed for atleast 5 decades, but UPA-1 & 2 has shown that even Congress can adopt to changing Political scenario of India.

I don't see any point as to why Modi can't adopt himself to same, unless he gets a chance, we can't be sure about anything.

Adaptability is the Key word here.

Its really time now for Indians to think......that they are supporting such peoples ......who keep Extremism Views worst is that Modi was even behind killing of 2000 Muslims in Gujarat India........:)

People move on..you should too...

I think we are going into a wrong direction.

There is always a First Time for any person, before Modi became the CM of Guj in 2001, he had no administrative experience of any state & was General Secretary of the BJP, but since than he has shown his capability of good administration.

Again, till 1990s, Congress was not into coalition politics & was more comfortable with single party rule that it enjoyed for atleast 5 decades, but UPA-1 & 2 has shown that even Congress can adopt to changing Political scenario of India.

I don't see any point as to why Modi can't adopt himself to same, unless he gets a chance, we can't be sure about anything.

would you give the same benfit of doubt of first time to Rahul Gandhi . I wouldnt.

I agree, I see no reason why he should not adapt. However the image of a strong, decisive leader that has been cultivated is not very amenable to coalition politics. Either the image goes or the politics goes. If the former happens, all we might see is a small change from what is now. The coalition parties of NDA (present & prospective) are not known for being clean. As a matter of fact, even the BJP has a completely different image than it did under Vajapayee. Not much proven competence but after Karnataka, proven corruption and proven lack of backbone in dealing with it.

Where has he "manufactured" consensus?

He has not got a chance for that, so the above question is, just moot.

His political dexterity has seen many victims in the form of Congress in Gujarat. So much so that, he nearly eliminated them and NOW he is in majority.

I agree, I see no reason why he should not adapt. However the image of a strong, decisive leader that has been cultivated is not very amenable to coalition politics. Either the image goes or the politics goes. If the former happens, all we might see is a small change from what is now. The coalition parties of NDA (present & prospective) are not known for being clean. As a matter of fact, even the BJP has a completely different image than it did under Vajapayee. Not much proven competence but after Karnataka, proven corruption and proven lack of backbone in dealing with it.

In terms of USD, how much damage the BJP has done, vs the Congress as far as the corruption goes?

but to be PM he has to work on the dirt thats sticking to him.

Gujjus have a unique culture which is business minded and liberal. but a state like UP/Bihar/AP/WB all are very political in nature and dont mind enduring poor quality of life and trouble for their citizens to assuaeg political egos. they have too many uneducated people and the people themselves are quite corrupt an dpolarized.

Why do people always assume that the coalition leaders dont like Modi and would quarell with him at the slightest given opportunity..or decide that Modi cannot handle coalitions ? What gives that impression..I think he is politically street smart and cunning enough to negotiate the coalition dharma very well..

And Modi will not run the coalition by himself..there will be people who will be behind the screens who will take care of the coalition fire-fighting too..

Ppl need to understand that in Indian politics it is always about power..only very few politicians are actually boneheaded like Mamata to walk out of an alliance mid-way because of some minor differences..

p.s: Jagan reddy being from an evangelist background is not going to align with BJP..he will be going with congress, post polls.

pps: as regards Mayawati its really easy..there are plenty of cases against her in CBI. :P

so the discipline that modi will demand will see a backlash in many states where people are used to freebies and gettting things without working. Suddenly telling them to work for a living will not go down well.

There has to be a beginning somewhere..doesnt it ?

I agree, I see no reason why he should not adapt. However the image of a strong, decisive leader that has been cultivated is not very amenable to coalition politics. Either the image goes or the politics goes.

I disagree that they are mutually exclusive..there is no reason to believe that..

Jagan went against congress and formed his own party. Congress with its vendetta, framed several cases of disproportionate asset cases involving CBI and ED. He would be an easy prey for BJP, who will entice him by going slow on his cases.

Jagan went against congress and formed his own party. Congress with its vendetta, framed several cases of disproportionate asset cases involving CBI and ED. He would be an easy prey for BJP, who will entice him by going slow on his cases.

Jagan comes from a kattar evangelist family..there is as much chance of him allying with BJP as Owaisi allying with BJP..

Wait and see..post election, the magic word "secularism" would be used and he would join congress in return for dropping cases against him..

I think Modi rule will be good, if India was like Gujarat. Most states will intentionally put roadblocks if he comes to power.
For that first Modi will need to ensure that the 2002 riots of which I think he is innocent is not a blot anhymore.

Back
Top Bottom