What's new

3 retired Generals to be court-martialed in NLC scam

All-Green said:
he military system has a lots of checks on the soldiers and officers, however there is a growing feeling helped by a lot of observations (Crore commander ring any bell?) that the Generals are mostly above checks and have a lot of avenues to further their bank balance, unless few examples are set.
Maybe this court martial is a much needed one to curb this growing tendency?
I hope so.

Exactly my point, Sir.

mar na jatay ger aitbar hota !!

Brig Ali's example is in front of everyone, he instigated mutiny and conspired against the army, yet only 5 years of imprisonment??

what crime will raise the award of death penalty to really set an example?

Like most are suggesting, its to protect them from civil prosecution and avoiding the precedence as Army in its actions want to avoid rule of law and obedience to civil institutions of the country.

This reply by FM17 has to be regarded as a GEM. :D
A few percent here and there is jaiz, apparently. ;)
VC, neither you nor I can fix this corruption, not even a little bit. All things take time. One day, our society will grow out of all this, sadly, right now is not that time. :argh:

VC, neither you nor I can fix this corruption, not even a little bit. All things take time. One day, our society will grow out of all this, sadly, right now is not that time. :argh:

Well, the corruption in Pakistan does not affect me anymore, at least not directly. ;)

Those who think it is a problem for them have the burden of fixing it as well.

I watched Shaheen Sehbai's prog on the same issue yesterday.. He was saying tht now tht the former generals(who had retired 6-7 years ago) are reinstated for Court Martial...then they will also have to be paid salaries of 7 yrs, first, since they are reinstated now,and then they will be court martialled...Is it true? Will they have to be paid salaries of all 7 yrs?

the damage has been done now should take over there property and money

I watched Shaheen Sehbai's prog on the same issue yesterday.. He was saying tht now tht the former generals(who had retired 6-7 years ago) are reinstated for Court Martial...then they will also have to be paid salaries of 7 yrs, first, since they are reinstated now,and then they will be court martialled...Is it true? Will they have to be paid salaries of all 7 yrs?
They were reinstated so that they can be thrashed, not so that they can made into idols. SS just showed how much he hate the Army with his stupid statement.

i cant just imagine to what extent of idiocy these idiots can go for cheap popularity.

As they;

Badnaam Agar Honge Tau Kya Naam Na Hoga..??

i think i could retire from the thread, but then seniors have joined in and i think we can have some sensible discussion with them now.
VC,

One must quantify what this corruption is. What I have found is that tales of corruption stick in Pakistan. This is not a denial about corruption. Yes there is some, but the institutional checks are as such that the vast majority of those in uniform conform to norms of service which include honest dealings, personal financial honesty and living within ones means. To add to Xeric's example, I will tell you that a cheque written by an officer, if it happens to be rejected due to lack of money in ones account, leads to serious reprimand at the unit/CO level. It was unheard of back in the day and I feel its no different to this day so financial irregularity is not common and not easy to hide in service.

For the sake of clarity i must add that the officer can be court martialed under MPML Section ** (enough of MPML has already been discussed) if his checque is bounced for lack of money in his account.

So that people could believe it easily i must also add that the title of this section of MPML is 'Unbecoming Behavior'.

Now that's how militaries really are. Unlike on the other side of the fence, where cheque bounce ho jaye to parcha katwanay k liye aik or cheque likhna parta hai :yahoo:
I am all for the CM of these officers if they are found to be involved. This is not unprecedented and since the corruption charges are during the time of service, it makes sense to try them out under the CM regulations. Generally, when officers internally are found to be involved in the such issues, the dirty laundry is kept internal and those involved reprimanded and punished.

i think there is nothing to be hidden in this case. If the three senior most culprits have been caught and are being charged, fauj wont mind in releasing the names of other junior officers or soldiers which might pop out during the inquiry.

Also, only punishments awarded through an administrative action/non-judicial proceedings cannot be made public. On the other hand proceedings of a court martial are public and can be accessed any time, so if one feels that something has been hidden, he can always check out the CM proceedings, so i dont think there is much dirty laundry left which still needs to be aired, and thus reinstating the generals has nothing to do with the it. As you and i both have mentioned that iit is quite normal to try uniforms through a CM especially as you have pointed out that the crime was committed during service.

They were reinstated so that they can be thrashed, not so that they can made into idols. SS just showed how much he hate the Army with his stupid statement.

i cant just imagine to what extent of idiocy these idiots can go for cheap popularity.

As they;

Badnaam Agar Honge Tau Kya Naam Na Hoga..??

Maybe he had been fed wrong info, by someone regd court martial..bcoz in his analysis in tht prog, he was actually praising Gen Kiyani and army for this action..and he said, tht this should give a strong message to politicians like Zardari who talk abt qabron ka trial, whenever there is talk of their accountability.He said Gen Kiyani has rightfully given a strong message to politicians, tht when we can try our generals for corruption, so u should do the same.........Infact I asked the question, regd court martial and salary here, bcoz it was said by Shaheen Sehbai, who is not one of those eternal military haters(e.g Hamid Mir, Najam Sethi and others), and is usually very neutral in his analysis, and even in this prog praised army for this action.. So although this salary thing looked illogical, i thought its better to confirm here...As I said, maybe, someone had fed wrong info to Shaheen Sehbai reg Court martial

Maybe he had been fed wrong info, by someone regd court martial..bcoz in his analysis in tht prog, he was actually praising Gen Kiyani and army for this action..and he said, tht this should give a strong message to politicians like Zardari who talk abt qabron ka trial, whenever there is talk of their accountability.He said Gen Kiyani has rightfully given a strong message to politicians, tht when we can try our generals for corruption, so u should do the same.........Infact I asked the question, regd court martial and salary here, bcoz it was said by Shaheen Sehbai, who is not one of those eternal military haters(e.g Hamid Mir, Najam Sethi and others), and is usually very neutral in his analysis, and even in this prog praised army for this action.. So although this salary thing looked illogical, i thought its better to confirm here...As I said, maybe, someone had fed wrong info to Shaheen Sehbai reg Court martial

Itna tu farak hai na fauj or civil mai:

The politicisation of the intelligence agencies can be judged with the fact that at least 4,000-5,000 sacked Intelligence Bureau officials, who were previously profiled to be "unfit for service" due to political connections, were reinstated by the Pakistan People's Party (PPP)-led federal government with back pays and benefits only recently.

Fullstory

What about there salary status now? If this takes more than a month or so, will they be given salary? And are they entitled to all other active officer benefits?

There is no salary issue. This is misinformation. They are getting their pensions and will continue to do so unless they are found guilty and until the Army decides to punish them by taking away their pension.

So are they going to get stripped off from their pension benefits for misuse of authority and financial corruption/irregularities, or will they be put in front of the shooting squad like Brig Ali who instigated mutiny in the army??
Pension being stripped is a pretty standard thing. There may be other punitive infractions/fines as well. First the three have to be found guilty. Remember, they are all innocent until proven guilty. In our culture, since we do not see enough convictions, people forget that and assume you are guilty until proven innocent.

Back
Top Bottom