What's new

27 Feb 19: PAF shot down two Indian aircrafts inside Pakistani airspace: DG ISPR

Sorry I didnt understand. The IFF was probably turned off or we know the IFF was turned off and they are probably using that as an excuse?

I know little about IFF to say if it makes you a target, all I know is some systems work by 'interrogating' a counterpart which then sends a reply, dont know if that makes it a continuously emitting system.
It only emitts/answers when it receives an interrogation signal.If the interrogator doesn't receive any reply he (a person, not the computer) will take it as a Foe (as per protocols) but it should be On in a war zone (IFF has many modes).

As a backup,if IFF doesn't respond and you still have a doubt if its Friendly or Foe you can use AWACS or Radio Controllers to contact that particular aircraft,if its Friendly,he will respond.Dont know if the IAF Mi-17 was contacted via Radio to give his bullseye.Speaks volume of IAF competency if they didn't confirm with Radio check.

Fire it Rajesh, It's an F-16

Military court stays action against officers in Srinagar chopper fratricide case

In a significant development, a military court today stayed further action in the ongoing disciplinary action against two officers allegedly involved in the Srinagar chopper fratricide case on the next day of Balakot airstrikes last year. Six Indian Air Force were killed in the case including two pilots and four other crew members over Budgam while they were returning to the Srinagar airbase around the same time when the Pakistani fighters were moving around Indian territory.

“Both the offices (Group Captain SR Chowdhary and Wing Commander Shyam Naithani) had challenged the court of inquiry (CoI) as well as its finding on the ground of violation of particular air force rules as well as the composition of the Court of Inquiry being contrary to Air Force order,” the counsel of the two officers Ankur Chhibber said.

“The court after hearing the parties was pleased to direct that prima facie there are violations in the CoI and therefore has directed that no action be taken based on the said CoI and its findings till the next date which is September 30,” he said.

The Principal Bench of the Armed Forces Tribunal headed by Chairman Rajendra Menon said that “we are of the considered view that the applicant has, prima facile, been able to demonstrate non-compliance with non statutory provisions in the conduct of court of inquiry.” W

hile Gp Captain Chaudhary was the Chief Operations Officer of the Srinagar airbase when the incident took place and the wing commander was the Senior Air Traffic Control officer (SATCO). A missile from the SPYDER air Defence Missile systems was fired at the Mi-17v5 chopper and brought it down immediately.

This deserves a new thread.

Switched off the IFF , friends or foes radar in the helicopter. Human error or lack of proper SOP.
That's what these accused guys are probably saying. That in a fluid situation, how could we identify the helio as a friend if radar is off.
In my armchair view, since the situation was neither peace nor war , but some intermediate position, the rules to be followed were not clear. In peacetime the radar could be off , but in a active situation it should always be on.
But do these iff radars also make you a target with their emissions ?

Go watch a video or two about SPIDER sams. They are one of the most advance system in the world which literally identifies aircraft type and model. Even if IFF was switched off then do Indian ground personals should have done a better job at identifying the object. Why would one PA Mi-17 go all the way 80KM inside India just to get shot down?
It was actually PAF fighters that shot down IAF Mi-17 and now India is just trying to come up with a good story to cover it up.

Now you are resorting to weak face saver, we have gone into Pakistani airspace and dropped bomb inside Pakistan with precision.

no you didnt...

were are still waiting for you indians to show us surgical strike videos?...

how does it feel know we cleaned your airforces clocks.. and only thing your below average airforce could shoot down is your own helo...

all this eposide show is you indians lie alot and very shamelessly

It only emitts/answers when it receives an interrogation signal.If the interrogator doesn't receive any reply he (a person, not the computer) will take it as a Foe (as per protocols) but it should be On in a war zone (IFF has many modes).

As a backup,if IFF doesn't respond and you still have a doubt if its Friendly or Foe you can use AWACS or Radio Controllers to contact that particular aircraft,if its Friendly,he will respond.Dont know if the IAF Mi-17 was contacted via Radio to give his bullseye.Speaks volume of IAF competency if they didn't confirm with Radio check.

Fire it Rajesh, It's an F-16
I think it was an off book response to su30. May be the reason they kept it like this..
But i do sound foolish here? So no idea how can so many mistakes happen..and then even the black box disappears??

Just some random thoughts.....

The fighter pilot is the last remaining example on earth of the military gladiator, the individual champion. His is the last remaining chance going back to the days of chivalry, and go one-on-one against an opponent. A fighter pilot may rely on his aircraft performance the way a worrior of old depended on his horse’s abilities, but ultimately, when two pilots oppose each other in approximately comparable aircraft, the outcome is entirely one of courage and skill. In an age where numbers and mass count for everything and the individual for nothing, there is something very attractive about a fighter pilot. A successful one, of course.

The picture can be overdrawn. A fighter pilot squaring off one-on- one would certainly face problems with his officer commanding, because the air force, as any other branch of service, is interested not in heroics and gladiatorial dash, but in winning. And you win best by team work. The Israelis were the first to call themselves the Orange Juice Air Force because there they don’t encourage drinking, bravado, individuality and dash, but a quiet, unspectacular teamwork. The idea is to shoot more of them for each of us. That is the simple equation that governs air warfare.

The interesting thing about PAF and IAF is that each is a microcosm of their societies and their overall military position.

The Pakistan Air Force has always been far smaller than the I.A.F. The ratio has never been as bad as 1953, when India had about ten jet fighter squadrons to one of Pakistan’s but it has never been better than three-to-one. With resources being so tight, the P.A.F. has always striven to get the best return from a small force.

The P. A. F. reached its peak about 1960. It had ten combat squadrons, seven on the F-86 Sabre, two on B- 57 (the American version of the Canberra) and one on the F- 104 Starfighter, and about 160 combat aircraft. The I.A.F. had about 500 aircraft in 25 large squadrons.

The small Pakistani force operates with high efficiency, learning quickly from its American mentors that a small number of highly professional pilots flying standardized aircraft, and backed up with first class maintenance and a well-organized air base system costs less, and is more powerful, than a larger, more disorganized force.

The PAF has much smaller pool of fighter pilots, being a much smaller air force. This may not matter in a short war. In a long war, however, one lives off the fat till new pilots are trained, and as India has ample fat, the advantage is theirs. Admittedly the replacement pilots may not be as good as the first-line ones. But as the best ones disappear, or survive to get better, the not-so-good pilots become adequate in comparison to the PAF, which is also losing its good pilots.

this is from the book " The war that never was" written Ravi Rikye...

Blinders at work.
Could be, wasn't the Heli deep inside IOK? I mean deep enough for a small Jammer like that of DA-20 to jam its radios? I always wanted to know Range and Threat Bubble of DA-20 but can't find it anywhere,so you maybe right..

I don't know what systems DA-20 has,is it capable enough to handle so much aircrafts and some even at long distances?

Incompetence(wrong co ordinates)? Or deliberate missing?
We will never know
Incompetence,bombs fell pretty close to the target,if the elevation settings had been correctly put and weather was clear,many innocent souls would have fallen victim.

Incompetence,bombs fell pretty close to the target,if the elevation settings had been correctly put and weather was clear,many innocent souls would have fallen victim.
I dont think its incompetence. I think it was an attempt as cassualities means a full on retaliation by Pakistan.

Remember it was a publicity stunt to win election and it worked very well in india. How did they come up with f16 down idea so quickly ? I think it was always the plan.

Back
Top Bottom