What's new

What script does Languages in Pakistan use?

For people discussing the Persian and Arabic script, in reality it is more like Nastaliq vs Naskh, with Persian using the former and Arabic the latter. Urdu too uses Nastaliq like Farsi. I have no idea why Pashto uses Naskh given that all other iranic and indic languages around it that use the Perso-Arabic script prefer Nastaliq. Maybe @Samandri could expand on that ?

nastaliqvnaskh_custom-ff0e18c48ad8e8ffb2b82ec0ecae46e9b5b180ec.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nastaʿlīq_script
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naskh_(script)

I think they did it because this way it becomes easier for them to learn other local languages and also Arabic.

It was primarily done to spread arabic. It had nothing to do with learning other languages since languages are independent of the script.

In reality Balti has a more Pakistani script than Urdu, given that it is native to the region unlike the Perso-Arabic script which we imported.
really? Then why dont u revert back to yr old believes then?

Dont talk rubbish.

I love the fact that Balti has unique Tibetan script........wishing that they should have Nastaliq (which you are calling Pakistani script, thats funny), is bigotry and narrow-mindedness
Coming from u ehhh. Thats the actual Bigotry.

not a problem if our politician decide, they can make a program for smooth transaction.. and i didnt purposed Farsi, i want local language of any non major group which include, Hindko, Balochi etc

i am ignorant bcoz i am not a urdu (gangaland language) worshiper like you? So our founding father were all visionary? they didnt have ethnicity? Most of Muslim league elite + bureaucracy at that time was from present day gangaland aka bharat... they imposed an alien language on us.. we need a local language so we can get ahead of this same language shit..
Facepalm!!!!

Are the languages similar? If you speak Urdu, can you understand much Persian?
Urdu and Persian are very similar; you can pick up alot of Persian if you speak urdu; pure Urdu speakers can understand a quarter of it.

Last edited:
Why the Ad Hominem (personal attack?). Which part of my post is "rubbish"?
Mimic-ring the hindus wont do u any good. and if u believe it was a personal attack then its yr standards of analyzing posts.

Mimic-ring the hindus wont do u any good. and if u believe it was a personal attack then its yr standards of analyzing posts.

So because the Baltis use a script based on the Tibetan alphabet for more than a thousand years, they and others like myself who dont see why this is an issue are mimicking Hindus? Dude, do you even read your posts? This is their language! Stop acting holier than thou and learn to respect other people's history and culture.
Also when an individual uses the term "you" in a sentence he is turning the conversation into a personal one.

When I said the Balti script is native to the region, rather than disproving this you responded by saying "why dont u revert back to yr old believes then?"

This is a personal comment and classic ad hominem. To explain the term to you:

"(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining."

You have no comment on the position I am maintaining which is that the Tibetan script is the one Baltis have always used. Rather you are having a go at my personal character and urging me to convert "back to my old beliefs".

It was primarily done to spread arabic. It had nothing to do with learning other languages since languages are independent of the script.
Actually; this script was chosen because all of our provincial languages pre-partition used this script and most people understood it.

Facepalm!!!!

same to you.. you cant change the fact that most of the elite in beginning was from India hence they wanted to be connected to their motherland India and dont wanted to look us locals at our own cultures, languages, they made such hysteria and sense of superiority with urdu that if now you talk against urdu you are equal to blasphemer, their urdu is same as Hindi, thats why we watch shows on urdu media whenever Pakistan and India match takes place and they talk in same language i.e bollywood language.. while we have nothing to do with that..

Last edited:
India and Pakistan would've benefited if the national language of Pakistan is something not similar to Hindi. But, after almost 7 decades, is it possible to shift from Urdu to something like Farsi? Will the population approve the change considering whether you like it or not, many seems influenced by the Hindustani culture and Bollywood influence which has successfully sneaked into your country?
People tend to think that Hindi and Urdu are the same; but they are actually very different. Language primarily spoken in Bollywood is nor Hindi nor Urdu; it is in between.

People tend to think that Hindi and Urdu are the same; but they are actually very different. Language primarily spoken in Bollywood is nor Hindi nor Urdu; it is in between.

its fact that both nations can communicate without English in Hindi Urdu, so they are same in speaking. in writing i agree they are not similar..

people use same language in streets..

Last edited:
Yeah that is a good reason too. Because Pakistan is an Islamic country and 99% of its population is Muslim I guess so they all want to learn Koran in Arabic. I'm having hard time since I can only read the English or Malay translation but I know to learn Koran the best is to read and understand in Arabic.

You should not comment on matters you know nothing about.

More of Farsi than Arabic script. This script is what has been used by Muslims of this area for centuries. You can search up on google or head straight to tourism section of this site. Find old pre 1947 pictures of our cities, bazaars, train stations etc. You will see sign boards in persio-arabic script. That has been the standard script in this area much before arrival of British.

In fact, it was same in India especially in Bengal region where both scripts existed side by side mainly because of Muslim rule. Script got eradicated in India somewhat under Raj and more so after 1947.
Thank you for the info.

Language primarily spoken in Bollywood is nor Hindi nor Urdu; it is in between.
I and many in India knows this; Considering we have Dakhni Muslims in place where I'm from. They learn Urdu as it's their mother tongue and also have online media as well as newspapers still thriving.

same to you.. you cant change the fact that most of the elite in beginning was from India hence they wanted to be connected to their motherland India and dont wanted to look us locals at our own cultures, languages, they made such hysteria and sense of superiority with urdu that if now you talk against urdu you are equal to blasphemer, their urdu is same as Hindi, thats why we watch shows on urdu media whenever Pakistan and India match takes place and they talk in same language i.e bollywood language.. while we have nothing to do with that..
again facepalm!!!!!!!:rofl: Dude i would like to shoot the guy who taught u social studies n history in school.

So because the Baltis use a script based on the Tibetan alphabet for more than a thousand years, they and others like myself who dont see why this is an issue are mimicking Hindus? Dude, do you even read your posts? This is their language! Stop acting holier than thou and learn to respect other people's history and culture.
Also when an individual uses the term "you" in a sentence he is turning the conversation into a personal one.

When I said the Balti script is native to the region, rather than disproving this you responded by saying "why dont u revert back to yr old believes then?"

This is a personal comment and classic ad hominem. To explain the term to you:

"(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining."

You have no comment on the position I am maintaining which is that the Tibetan script is the one Baltis have always used. Rather you are having a go at my personal character and urging me to convert "back to my old beliefs".
may i ask where r u educated?

Arabic script means the script of the Kuran-i Kerim. Osmalija (Ottoman language) is an amalgam of Turkish, Persian and Arabic languages based on Arabic script. In the name of nationalism (racism) Turkish folks lost it due to some traitors and got alienated from the roots and other Muslim peoples. Only now Osmanlija is again being taught at the schools as an optional subject. The Paks are fortunate that nobody touched their language..

** During Chanakkale (Gallipoli) War, the British broughtt in thousands of Hindistanli Muslim troops. They were deceived by the propaganda that they were fighting in Greece. Once, Muslim soldiers in the British side heard the Ezan from the Ottoman trenches. They threw a stone with a note in Persian inquiring about the Ezan. Ottoman soldiers understood the note and threw their reply message back. Understanding the situation Muslim soldiers switched their side and fought along the Ottomans. This is the power of languages and scripts...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom