What's new

What script does Languages in Pakistan use?

dadeechi

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
What script does Languages in Pakistan use?

Do all of them use Persian as script?

Yes all languages in Pakistan including Urdu use Persian script

Urdu script
Urdu is written right-to left in an extension of the Persian alphabet, which is itself an extension of the Arabic alphabet. Urdu is associated with the Nastaʿlīq style of Persian calligraphy, whereas Arabic is generally written in the Naskh orRuq'ah styles. Nasta’liq is notoriously difficult to typeset, so Urdu newspapers were hand-written by masters of calligraphy, known as kātib or khush-nawīs, until the late 1980s.[citation needed] One handwritten Urdu newspaper, The Musalman, is still published daily in Chennai.

Urdu script
Urdu is written right-to left in an extension of the Persian alphabet, which is itself an extension of the Arabic alphabet. Urdu is associated with the Nastaʿlīq style of Persian calligraphy, whereas Arabic is generally written in the Naskh orRuq'ah styles. Nasta’liq is notoriously difficult to typeset, so Urdu newspapers were hand-written by masters of calligraphy, known as kātib or khush-nawīs, until the late 1980s.[citation needed] One handwritten Urdu newspaper, The Musalman, is still published daily in Chennai.

Thanks. I did not know that. It should be very easy to learn multiple Pakistani languages as one would be able to read and write other languages without much effort. One just need to pick up some grammar and vocabulary.

Yes, as the below map shows, all major languages in Pakistan use the Perso-Arabic script (although some individuals in certain isolated pockets of the country might know older scripts, like Baltis and the Tibetan script). Recently the Kalasha language also got a new script based on the Latin alphabet. That language previously had no script.

States_of_South_Asia.png

Urdu script
Are the languages similar? If you speak Urdu, can you understand much Persian?

Yes, as the below map shows, all major languages in Pakistan use the Perso-Arabic script (although some individuals in certain isolated pockets of the country might know older scripts, like Baltis and the Tibetan script). Recently the Kalasha language also got a new script based on the Latin alphabet. That language previously had no script.

States_of_South_Asia.png

Nice pic my friend.
Right, you can understand it but you wouldn't be able to read it, correct?

Hindi and Urdu have very different scripts even though people may understand some words (upto I guess 30%)

Urdu script

I come from Hyderabad, decccan and we too have Siasat daily.

The Siasat Daily: Hyderabad, Bollywood, World, Islamic News

An Urdu reader can easily read Persian but might only be able to understand 30% of it if no Farsi education is involved. Urdu contains thousands of Persian and Turkish words which make you get a rough idea of whats being talked about. Urdu is a hybrid language built on about 7 other languages. The bridge between Urdu and Farsi is poetry, especially by Iqbal. Fun fact, there is only one Urdu word in Pakistan's national anthem, rest is all Persian.

Are the languages similar? If you speak Urdu, can you understand much Persian?

An Urdu reader can easily read Persian but might only be able to understand 30% of it if no Farsi education is involved. Urdu contains thousands of Persian and Turkish words which make you get a rough idea of whats being talked about. Urdu is a hybrid language built on about 7 other languages. The bridge between Urdu and Farsi is poetry, especially by Iqbal.

Yes I can read and write little bit in Persian nearly 30 to 40% words are same. Same way Sindhi and Pashto also.

Thank you both. :tup: I've been curious about it because I was shocked when someone posted that only about 8% of Pakistanis are fluent in Urdu, so I wondered how much commonality there might be between the languages used and where they got their alphabet, vocabulary, etc.

someone posted that only about 8% of Pakistanis are fluent in Urdu
That figure is quite wrong nearly all Pakistani (educated at least primary) can speak and understand Urdu. Fun fact is that our Punjabi language is quite close to Urdu and many mix words of Punjabi in Urdu and we call it Gulabi Urdu.

Nope

But if you speak Urdu, you can understand Hindi

Thats why i hate urdu, i think we should have make hindko, Gilgati or any other non major language from Pakistan with their script as our National language..

Urdu is imposed on us by early Muhajir elite, its shame that we use a National language which is not our.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom