What's new

Pakistan's War - Images from the frontlines

I was much down to earth sir...

and I must say the locals are very open minded and friendly ... if you know what I am saying
although we were strictly warned to behave. ;)

Kashmir .. AJK .. ;)

Xerics "luxury" apartment reminds is quiet familiar... lived in em whenever i went to the ex areas (KPTW or KP Tamaywali) ... n the snake .. well u just have to develop the love for em i guess...

This is how it rained:

IMGP3192 by Khakiate, on Flickr

The aftermath (after the worst was over):

IMGP3212 by Khakiate, on Flickr

They are the heroes who even salvaged every shovel:

IMGP3189 by Khakiate, on Flickr

The real heroes... respect.

with all due respect - no offence intended - what about the apartments being built all over Rawalpindi cantt??? i would have shared the pics had it not been the security issue ---- :D

@Xeric

PDF's 'a day with the jawans' is my idea. I'll take you to court ! :P

Next time, i'm home i'll try to arrange it... It will be fun seeing how they do it, their stories need to be told.

First, offence taken.

Second, yes they are being built, feel free to post some pics, but what's wrong with it? Dont the soldiers need residence?

Please educate yourself: Xeric's Primer: We Don’t Seek Benevolence, But Don’t Malign us Either – Part I
i will not comment on first ---- because that is your personal perception ----
and yes i was coming to that point - i know why they are being built in huge numbers - as they are facing shortage of accommodation for Personnel .... and i do not have problem with that----
just wanted to present the other side of the images you posted -----
if you are living in a hut on front-line then you have been compensated for it....

The ever envied Officers' Mess:

DSCN7933 by Khakiate, on Flickr
Just to add, the guy in grey hairs is a Lt Col (CO) and the one besides him towards right is a Major saab.

i will not comment on first ---- because that is your personal perception ----
and yes i was coming to that point - i know why they are being built in huge numbers - as they are facing shortage of accommodation for Personnel .... and i do not have problem with that----
just wanted to present the other side of the images you posted -----

Other side? i think the other side is well documented, the side i showed wasnt.
if you are living in a hut on front-line then you have been compensated for it....
Compensated?

How? Please elaborate. Never knew that civilians these days are not building their homes.

Last edited:
Just to add, the guy in grey hairs is a Lt Col (CO) and the one besides him towards right is a Major saab.
Other side? i think the other side is well documented, the side i showed wasnt.
compensated?
How? Please elaborate. Never knew that civilians these days are not building their homes.
it will be an endless argument and will ruin the thread----
but i will end this from my side that this is not about Military vs Civlians or military eating up on budget --- its about presenting two sides of a Picture----
if you are living in a hut on the front line, there is nothing special about it - so i did not find your captions balanced, hence gave my pov -----

it will be an endless argument and will ruin the thread----
but i will end this from my side that this is not about Military vs Civlians or military eating up on budget --- its about presenting two sides of a Picture----
if you are living in a hut on the front line, there is nothing special about it - so i did not find your captions balanced, hence gave my pov -----
You started it, now why back out?

As for ruing the thread, well you should have known that such comments would merit response.

Living in a hut on the front line is special because a civilian counterpart of a grade 17 or 18 military officer does not live in such conditions for atleast 70 % of his service. Nor does the military officer gets 'compensated' like the civil gazetted officer does. You are comparatively new to the forum and probably have not gone through my previous posts or else you have known that living in a underground 'hut' in summers without electricity and alongwith 'friends' pics of whom i have already posted is special. Especially when your class fellows how have an equivalent education are weeping over their offices not being spacious enough. It is also special when even Somalians have water to wash their @ss and a soldier or and officer has to zero in its shyt in a bowl that looks like an inverted 'beaver felt hat'. i wish i could post some pics but couldnt find any.

Just to quote an example, during escalation 2001-02 we were deployed along the LoC. It was the initial time when the hostilities were imminent and we used to exchange mortar and small arms fire on daily basis. We were just below the threshold of opening up with artillery. It was hot, very hot in those days. So at night the orders were that everyone should sleep inside the shell proof bunkers and not outside. You must be knowing that in villages people sleep in open and get 'compensated' even if there is no electricity. Here, we wont allow our troops to sleep outside because that an single artillery volley will butcher them all. i remember going around at night and kicking them all inside the bunkers as they wont sleep inside. You know what, they would beg, beg like small kids that please sir, let us sleep outside. i mean have you ever tried staying in a closed room without a fan on a July afternoon or even night?

i would pity them. They would dig trenches, stand guard and clean ammo all day and at night the few hours they would get to rest was hell. No sleep during day, no sleep during night.

i mean they were trained soldiers, they have been through tough times and they were trained for such conditions, but then being trained does not mean that you are immune to hard conditions.

You just learn to live with them which they did.

i was once traveling in Shalimar Express, i was not in the military then, i remember our AC cabin lost its power due to some problem in the Power Van of the train. You know that windows of AC class are closed, so not even the outside air was there to 'compensate' us. The problem remained there for like 2 hrs, till the time we didnt reach the next station. You know what people did during those 2 hrs? They stopped the train thrice, beat up the driver and the conductor guard and were sweating like pigs. It was all humid, hot and smelly inside. People were cribbing as if they would die. i was a kid so i was more 'inclined' towards the girl sitting opposite to us, but now when i recall it, it was the worst 2 hrs of my life.

Now imagine spending a year in such a condition?!

And that's just one of the stories.

And then you tell me that it is not special?

Last edited:
Xeric, If Lt.Col is CO then what is Full Colonel would be ?

Xeric, If Lt.Col is CO then what is Full Colonel would be ?
Full Cols are Commandants in FC or else they are mostly on staff appointments. They can also be station commanders at small stations.

You started it, now why back out?

As for ruing the thread, well you should have known that such comments would merit response...................... that it is not special?

You speak the truth, Xeric....you speak the truth - Our soldiers live through some of the most trying conditions and still are willing to give their all for the Motherland - If that isn't Super-Human, I don't know what is !

i was a kid so i was more 'inclined' towards the girl sitting opposite to us

Yaniiii tharkiness tubbb seh haiii ! :sarcastic:

Once in my life, i do want to eat 'langar' with the jawans.

@Xeric
i have eaten with jawans when my father was in army a million times. Its very very tasty and got tastier (while watch Nargis's Dance a favourite thing to watch for some coy jawans:rofl:) If u know what i mean:secret:

@Xeric

PDF's 'a day with the jawans' is my idea. I'll take you to court ! :P

Next time, i'm home i'll try to arrange it... It will be fun seeing how they do it, their stories need to be told.
Xeric can do that for u i think. Ask him.

Back
Top Bottom