What's new

Mother tongue first

copied a part from an article, bohat gehri baat ki gai he,

"A language is much more than a medium of communication. A language carries with it teachings, idioms and wisdom which are passed on from generation to generation. When we deprive children of a mother tongue, we rob them the wisdom that is only accessible through knowing a language at a mother tongue level and cannot be translated or explained in another language without compromising the meaning
@SHAMK9

You sound like a burqa wearing, bearded, Islamist, terrorist, wannabe-Arab apologist.

Learning Arabic to understand the Quran in its original form? :astagh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dozens that I've heard of but I've also heard & read that there are hundreds of them here ! :undecided:

Your constitution didn't list out scheduled languages which were to be promoted and preserved, apni toh puri constitutional list hai protected languages ki. Let the people have their way in such matters and our constitution did much to make it that way despite declaring Hindi as the national language.

Your constitution didn't list out scheduled languages which were to be promoted and preserved, apni toh puri constitutional list hai protected languages ki. Let the people have their way in such matters and our constitution did much to make it that way despite declaring Hindi as the national language.

Nope our doesn't - It focused on Urdu & English & left it to the People themselves to protect, develop or nurture their culture & languages as they see it fit without any Government interference or patronage - We're avidly Secular in this regard ! :omghaha:

Nope our doesn't - It focused on Urdu & English & left it to the People themselves to protect, develop or nurture their culture & languages as they see it fit without any Government interference or patronage - We're avidly Secular in this regard ! :omghaha:

But language is hardly an issue in Pakistan, no? Tum sare Urdu to bol hi lete ho janab and there are no groups agitating or politicizing the issue, no?

Armstrong angrezi ka murder na kar- Secularism has no connection to linguistics- its strictly about separation of the government from religion. Baki bhai state jo bhi kare. :astagh:

Waise I like Pashto, kuch kuch phrases seekhein hain apne dost se, she told me ki Afghanistan me toh its predominantly Pashto and Dari.

But language is hardly an issue in Pakistan, no? Tum sare Urdu to bol hi lete ho janab and there are no groups agitating or politicizing the issue, no?

Armstrong angrezi ka murder na kar- Secularism has no connection to linguistics- its strictly about separation of the government from religion. Baki bhai state jo bhi kare
. :astagh:

Waise I like Pashto, kuch kuch phrases seekhein hain apne dost se, she told me ki Afghanistan me toh its predominantly Pashto and Dari.

Thats why I attached the emotion after it ! :blink:

Joke kii taaang tooor diyaa karooo tum loggg ! :disagree:

No...no one's agitating for or against it - We're alright with the way things are, except some of the smaller ethno-nationalist parties but they can't even get a few seats in their Provinces of target, never mind actually forming a Government therein, to do anything really - So its not that high on our priority right now !

Besides most of us teach their languages to their posterity so it doesn't really bother us that much whether the Government does or does not do something - Better Security, Economic Development & the Equitable Distribution of Resources are usually the topics we're bothered about.

And then there are those who cry 'loss of identity' whenever we - the Others - who've switched to other languages don't really like the idea of conforming to their notion of what a Pukhtoon, a Sindhi or a Punjabi is ! Naturally we ask them - Didn't Pashto, Punjabi or Sindhi grow out of other languages ? Won't they, too, grow into some other languages ? As is the case of every language out there ! If yes & one would be living under the rock to not know this progression, then why have a hissy fit when someone, over time or even otherwise, decides to switch to some other language ? Therefore, in my books, a Pukhtoon who speaks Urdu, Saraiki or Hindko (such are many) is no less or no more a Pukhtoon than the one who speaks Pashto as their mother-tongue !

India is not the qibla for all Pakistanis... may be for a certain sect.

Pakistan.. shall not only continue in English but also introduce Arabic from first class.

Which sect is that?

Do you tend to use "shall" when you mean "should"?

Is that the English superiority that you claim here?

There is no applauding, when they recently started copying Pakistan.

Pre 9-11 bharat was 1000 inferior than Pakistan.

Our elders were studying English literature in 60's when 90% of Indians had never seen a trouser.

Americans were teaching in Pakistani schools as late as 90's.

3 of my teachers were native English speakers, incl. my music teacher.

Do i need to show you comparison with Indian from 10 years ago?

They apparently didn't do a good job, purely going by the available evidence?

BTW, did you still have music teaching in schools? When did you pass out? Was it pre Zia days?

Why does it matter if 90% Indians did not know trouser ?
It is this stupid irrelevant idea of superiority that makes your country as backward as it is today.

So, you mean a person should only wear trousers instead of Pyjama or dhoti while studying English.:omghaha: India's literacy rate or English proficiency has always been better than Pakistan.

BTW, this guy is entertaining if nothing else.

Provides a unique perspective along with the comic relief.

What India teaches (say!) all the subjects in Tamil in Tamil Nadu or something similar in some other State upto a certain level ? :what:

No.

The medium of instruction is primarily in English with Tamil (or Hindi) being the second language.

This is in private/govt aided schools.

In Govt school the medium of instruction is in Tamil with English being taught as second language. No option for Hindi afaik.

Yes,

We in Andhra learn three languages Telugu mother tongue, Hindi (national language) and english, Government schools teach every subject in Telugu.

Same thing applies for every state.

HINDI IS NOT THE NATIONAL LANGUAGE.

India has no national language. In all likelihood, it will never have one.

@Armstrong: In here, the States are allowed to have their own official languages and going further, some states allow their constituent districts to have additional official languages based on their demography.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, we have English medium schools where primary instructions (maths, sciences and the arts) are taught in English while the regional language is taught as COMPULSORY course right along with it till class 8th/10th- after which you may opt out.

Studying Tamil is not compulsory in private/aided schools. Atleast not when I was there and I dont think anything has chnaged. Either Tamil or Hindi can be taken as second language. But most students prefer Tamil though.

Studying Tamil is not compulsory in private/aided schools. Atleast not when I was there and I dont think anything has chnaged. Either Tamil or Hindi can be taken as second language. But most students prefer Tamil though.

Apologies for the mistake.

A TN friend studied Hindi in primary school along with Tamil and English. That was TN board.

Back
Top Bottom