What's new

how much of Urdu is Sanskrit based and persian based?

abvgroup

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
I have never understood how much of the Urdu language is persian/arabic based and how much of it comes from Sanskrit, does any one know this?

I have never understood how much of the Urdu language is persian/arabic based and how much of it comes from Sanskrit, does any one know this?

Urdu script is Persian based if I am not wrong.

I have never learned Urdu in my life, and only know Hindi. But when two Pakistani people talk in Urdu, I can understand 99% of the words they are talking. Similarly, if Pakistanis understand Hindi in Bollywood movies, you probably would not have trouble communicating with Inidans in Hindi. Not sure about verbal communication links between Urdu speakers and Persian speakers.

Would be interesting to get a similar feedback,

Unfortuntely due to cable tv, today's Pakistanis have drifted away from Urdu and true Islam.

Persian and Arabic words have been replaced with hindi.

e.g. we used to say 'Ibtida' today children says 'shoroat' there are numerous such examples.

Today, we can conveniently say that Pakistan's national language is Hindi and not Urdu any more.

Unfortuntely due to cable tv, today's Pakistanis have drifted away from Urdu and true Islam.

Persian and Arabic words have been replaced with hindi.

e.g. we used to say 'Ibtida' today children says 'shoroat' there are numerous such examples.

Today, we can conveniently say that Pakistan's national language is Hindi and not Urdu any more.

My Urdu is pretty bad, but I always use proper vocab.

^^ Actually Urdu has nothing of it own it borrow words from, Persian/Arabic/Turkish/English/ and now with advent of cable tv we can count Sankskrit too.

A simple example:

'Sun'
Arabic - Shams
Persian - Aftab
Hindi - Suraj

'moon'
Arabic - Qamar
Persian - Mahtab
Hindi - Chand

which one do you keep in your voc.

^^ Actually Urdu has nothing of it own it borrow words from, Persian/Arabic/Turkish/English/ and now with advent of cable tv we can count Sankskrit too.

A simple example:

'Sun'
Arabic - Shams
Persian - Aftab
Hindi - Suraj

'moon'
Arabic - Qamar
Persian - Mahtab
Hindi - Chand

Well we learned in school Chand/Suraj.

However, Urdu is a very versatile language.

It depends on the user and what they want to do with it.

Allama Iqbal had the literary command of a Master.

In some of his poems he uses Suraj, and in some he uses Aftab.

Urdu has always in my opinion been an evolving language.

Even english words have been incorporated.

A simple example:

'Sun'
Arabic - Shams
Persian - Aftab
Hindi - Suraj

'moon'
Arabic - Qamar
Persian - Mahtab
Hindi - Chand

what about turkish language ;)

think is urdu is the mixture of all sanskrit, turkish, arabic, even maybe pashto, dari etc, many many languages

I have learned all three in my times.

As i said we are drifting closer to hindi and yet we still like to call it Urdu, while its not.

On this issue i would agree to Indians that Pakistanis speak hindi.

what about turkish language ;)

think is urdu is the mixture of all sanskrit, turkish, arabic, even maybe pashto, dari etc, many many languages

That was an example... and there are more Turkish words than you can imagine.

That was an example... and there are more Turkish words than you can imagine.

I have learned all three words as well. But what do people commonly use?

Chand Suraj

Farsi Hindi

And when you look at the Indians, they use these words as well.

I have no idea how the hell you say moon in Hindi.

I have learned all three words as well. But what do people commonly use?

Chand Suraj

Farsi Hindi

And when you look at the Indians, they use these words as well.

I have no idea how the hell you say moon in Hindi.

I don't know how to say it, I learned sanskrit in India from grade 5 till 12 (barely passed the exams borderline pass) it was either Sanskrit or Marathi. I still don't understand if people talk in Sanskrit (which no one I know does). But I have talked to a lot of Pakistani friends and I can easily understand what they are saying. I don't know how or why its just that Urdu is easier to understand for Indian since Hindi sounds similar to Urdu.

As for Moon in Hindi, the word i learned in school was Chand so no idea what to say.

At its core Urdu is based on Sanskrit, just like Hindi, but due to the immense influence of Persian and Arabic and to a lesser extent Turkish (Chagatai), it has absored a whole host of vocabulary from these languages. The exact origns of Urdu are confusing but it definitely came about as a result of the meeting of Persian and Turkish speaking soldiers with the native Khariboli Hindustani dialect of Delhi. The subsequent result was Urdu, which was eventually adopted and patronized by the Mughal Kings, so much so that it came to be recognized as the royal language.
Answering your question "How much" of Urdu is Sanskrit, I must state that answering such a question exactly is impossible. Languages are not numbers on a maths test, which you can add and subtract. Some people will speak a more "pure" version of a language. Other a more "vulgar" version, yet they are both speaking the same language. However to simplify things a bit more ,think of Sanskrit as the skeleton of Urdu, and the various other languages influences on Urdu as the meat on top of that skeleton.

^^ Urdu is not based on Sanskrit, it does have words from it... but we have free choice to use others as well.

What i failed to understand, why does British promoted Urdu against farsi.

Back
Top Bottom