What's new

Holi in Quaid-I-Azam University Islamabad

The same argument can be used for almost all non Muslim religious holidays even Christmas. Do you consider Christmas or Easter as halal?
Holi still holds religious significance for Hindus. The origins of Holi was religious and about their beliefs. If people want to throw colours at each other for fun then why do it on the same day as Holi is done and why do it with people who are there celebrating Holi?
That’s like saying a Hindu will come to the slaughter house with me on Eid ul Adha and watch me slaughter a cow for qurbani because he’s just bored and wants to spend the day with me.
But let’s not even discuss this. It’s by consensus of all four schools of thought of Sunni Islam that participating in festivals like Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Holi etc are not permissible for a Muslim. They are haram for Muslims to take part in.
Even for Holi, why do they throw colours? It’s because it originates from their Hindu belief and to Muslims it’s considered Shirk. You might argue these festivals are not religious anymore but the fundamentals of these holidays are still based on religious beliefs of a certain group of people.
Anyways, I’m not a scholar but I will tell you that scholars, at least Sunni scholars of Islam, say participating in such festivals are not permissible. It’s unanimously agreed by all schools of Fiqh. I don’t know what the Shia’s believe but I believe it’s something similar to what Sunnis believe when it comes to such holidays. Maybe @AA_ can share the Shia ruling in celebrating Holi.

So you are in Canada...do you take off on Christmas or Thanksgiving? Or do you meet your relatives on the off day? Here in the US, on St Pat's people have St Pat's day sales, people go out in the park and have fun and more.

Does that mean you and those people are taking part in the religious occassion? No one even knows (and I didn't either) that Basant had it's roots in Hindu religion.

My point is, most of the festivals are now more cultural events which give you a time to just have fun and break from the routine of the world.

Where do we draw the line between what is religious and not?

So you are in Canada...do you take off on Christmas or Thanksgiving? Or do you meet your relatives on the off day? Here in the US, on St Pat's people have St Pat's day sales, people go out in the park and have fun and more.

Does that mean you and those people are taking part in the religious occassion? No one even knows (and I didn't either) that Basant had it's roots in Hindu religion.

My point is, most of the festivals are now more cultural events which give you a time to just have fun and break from the routine of the world.

You are debating with a salafist with an identity problem because he follows arab supremacist ideology. In his world view only arab culture can be celebrated :lol: :lol:

You are debating with a salafist with an identity problem because he follows arab supremacist ideology. In his world view only arab culture can be celebrated :lol: :lol:

Yeah I figured as much, but slow day at the office today! :P

I am not one to engage in religious debates.

But this is a slippery slope.

You then go down the road of Sufis birthdays, founders death days and the religious figures birthdays etc.

Where does one stop?

I don't think you kids know what Basant was and why it was banned.

Either that or you've never stepped foot in Lahore.
Wrong on both counts
  • Basant in Pakistan has (had) nothing to do with religion.
True, it's a cultural festival
  • It was just a kite festival. We didn't exactly worship Hindu deities or anything!
True
  • It wasn't generating so called "billions of PKR in a single day," quite the opposite, in fact! That's one of the dumbest takes I've heard, BTW.
Yes I was wrong cause I remember reading it somewhere but couldn't find it now
But that doesn't mean it didn't create buisness and jobs for the city
  • It wasn't banned on religious grounds.
  • It was banned because of glass coated kite strings which were literally slaughtering motorcyclists.
  • Some morons would use wires, instead of kite string, to gain an edge in kite fighting. If those wires fell on electric wires, they would cause electric tripping and short circuits.
Yeah pretty much everyone knows that it was banned for that reason but you could have policed & regulated that instead of a blanket ban

A lot of festivals world over had issues but we over time worked on it & made em safer for everyone to take part in & enjoy
TL;DR We turned a kite festival into a blood bath, in a classic Lahori fashion, all in the name of "competition."

He is ofcourse very hard core but let's be honest this has nothing to with us or our society
It looks cringe AF for university students to be doing such things

Obviously, as a Canadian the OP is going to take advantage of the holiday season. And that's not exactly "celebrating" Christmas.

Celebrating is when you 'install' a Christmas tree in your home, hang stockings over your chimney, and leave milk and cookies for Santa.

And I very much doubt that's a tradition in OP's household.

Your mileage may vary.

If Hindu students of QAU are celebrating it - then THERE is NOTHING wrong with it.
If muslims are participating in it - then it is wrong for them personally and it is between them and Allah. Regardless - there is nothing wrong with Pakistani institutions acknowledging and celebrating Holi because there are significant number of hindus there and Quaid e Azam guaranteed their equal rights - but as far as muslims participating in it- that is their problem

Obviously, as a Canadian the OP is going to take advantage of the holiday season. And that's not exactly "celebrating" Christmas.

Celebrating is when you 'install' a Christmas tree in your home, hang stockings over your chimney, and leave milk and cookies for Santa.

And I very much doubt that's a tradition in OP's household.

Your mileage may vary.

So how do you define celebrating? Where do you draw the line?

Is taking a day off and going out to the park celebrating? Meeting your relatives? Having friends over and a BBQ? Where does the buck stop?

Shouldn't we be rather focusing on the niyyat?

The biggest Holi celebration in Pakistan was at Quaid-I-Azam university.
Holi is a holiday originating from Hinduism and celebrated by non Muslims particularly Hindus and Sikhs.
In the video a large crowd of presumably non Muslims is seen celebrating Holi.

Muslims are not allowed to celebrate festivals of other religions especially a festival like Holi because it is considered Haram and considered Shirk. Willingly taking part in such festivals also constitutes to Kufr so Muslims refrain from celebrating it.
This is because our religious scriptures mentions:
Ibn ’Umar (RAA) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
He who imitates any people (in their actions) is considered to be one of them.”
-Narrated by Abu Dawood, 3512

However, non Muslims are free to practice their beliefs and do their religious festivals in accordance to state laws.

@Areesh @Mujahid Memon @TNT @Dalit @lastofthepatriots @kingQamaR @Olympus81 @Genghis khan1 @Great Janjua @Goenitz @AA_ @SaadH @villageidiot @PakAlp @Tamerlane @Drexluddin Khan Spiveyzai @AlKardai @Bleek @Ikbal @hussain0216 @Mirzali Khan
Kaafirs are free to celebrate Holi or Christmas.

but as a Muslim I only celebrate Eid-ul-Adha and Eid-ul-Fitr.

Stupid to celebrate other religion's festivals.

Muslims should not celebrate the festivals of other religions.

If Canada has an official holiday I take that holiday because I have no other choice and that doesn’t count as celebrating it.
If I have extra time off work/uni then yes I go out with family but that doesn’t count as celebrating those holidays either.
Do I take part in such holidays, put up a Christmas tree, eat Turkey for thanksgiving, wear green for ST Pat’s day or throw colours for Holi? Absolutely not. That’s considered celebrating it.
You if you want can celebrate any festival you want. That’s your choice. But I’m just saying it’s unanimously agreed by all scholars that celebrating such festivals is haram because they have a religious origin or have religious significance. If you want to throw colours on holi, put up a Christmas tree, wear green on ST Pat’s day etc, go ahead.
You say most festivals are just cultural nowadays. I will go one step further. Most RELIGIONS are just cultural nowadays and nothing like they use to be. Does that mean we start accepting those religions just because they might be aligned with our culture?
We draw the line by not participating in shirk. We do that by avoiding festivals that were used as a way of worship by people of other religions even if it’s just cultural nowadays.
Muslims have their own holidays.

Thank you
When I see people especially murtads saying this about me I feel proud.
It reminds me of this Hadith:

It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
Islam began as something strange and will go back to being strange, so glad tidings to the strangers.’”
-Sunan Ibn Majah 3986

Btw I’m not salafi. But I’d be a salafi over a murtad any day.

What if the festival originated as a religious festival, but currently has no relation to any religion but is simply an occassion to enjoy and have fun. People at holi do not celebrate it as holi, they just throw colors at each other for fun. Does that make it a religious festival?
yes, same for holi. people really do need to study religion.

Yeah I figured as much, but slow day at the office today! :P
I’m glad you’ve learned that I stay firm on my beliefs and won’t bend my religion to fit in or get acceptance from anyone.

Kaafirs are free to celebrate Holi or Christmas.

but as a Muslim I only celebrate Eid-ul-Adha and Eid-ul-Fitr.

Stupid to celebrate other religion's festivals.

Muslims should not celebrate the festivals of other religions.
Be careful bro. They might label you a salafi and follower of Arab culture too.

Would you rather he celebrate pride month?!
The guy you quoted is pretty confused him self. His a murtad who loves Jesus (probably converting to Christianity) and thinks British occupation of Indian subcontinent was a good thing. Apparently to him that’s what civilized us. He has no problem with pride month like he showed in the thread about pride month and instead wants Muslims to participate in it.
Apparently to him I’m a follower of outsider (Arab) culture. Oh the irony.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom