What's new

Holi in Quaid-I-Azam University Islamabad

Sayfullah

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

The biggest Holi celebration in Pakistan was at Quaid-I-Azam university.
Holi is a holiday originating from Hinduism and celebrated by non Muslims particularly Hindus and Sikhs.
In the video a large crowd of presumably non Muslims is seen celebrating Holi.

Muslims are not allowed to celebrate festivals of other religions especially a festival like Holi because it is considered Haram and considered Shirk. Willingly taking part in such festivals also constitutes to Kufr so Muslims refrain from celebrating it.
This is because our religious scriptures mentions:
Ibn ’Umar (RAA) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
He who imitates any people (in their actions) is considered to be one of them.”
-Narrated by Abu Dawood, 3512

However, non Muslims are free to practice their beliefs and do their religious festivals in accordance to state laws.

@Areesh @Mujahid Memon @TNT @Dalit @lastofthepatriots @kingQamaR @Olympus81 @Genghis khan1 @Great Janjua @Goenitz @AA_ @SaadH @villageidiot @PakAlp @Tamerlane @Drexluddin Khan Spiveyzai @AlKardai @Bleek @Ikbal @hussain0216 @Mirzali Khan

Last edited:
Muslims are not allowed to celebrate festivals of other religions especially a festival like Holi because it is considered Haram and considered Shirk. Willingly taking part in such festivals also constitutes to Kufr so Muslims refrain from celebrating it.

However, non Muslims are free to practice their beliefs and do their religious festivals in accordance to state laws.

What about basant?

What about basant?
Idk what basant is.
As long as it’s not a religious festival for non Muslims or originated as a religious festival for non Muslims or has no religious significance, it’s fine to do it.
Like I mentioned Muslims are not allowed to celebrate festivals of other religions.

They banned our cultural festivals like Basant, despite the fact that Lahore city alone used to generate billions of PKR in a single day due to Basant.

However, they seem to have no issue embracing foreign impositions in our land. Although I'm supportive of Hindus in Sindh celebrating their festivals freely in thier country,
it's quite baffling that university students from Islamabad would engage in such celebrations. It's like university students in Stockholm celebrating St. Patrick's Day, which comes across as cringe and disconnected from our own cultural heritage

In short I don't like it, this should be discouraged
Although there's tons of other problems in our country and this wouldn't be at the top of my priority list

Idk what basant is.
As long as it’s not a religious festival for non Muslims or originated as a religious festival for non Muslims or has no religious significance, it’s fine to do it.
Like I mentioned Muslims are not allowed to celebrate festivals of other religions.

1- You follow Pakistani news enough that you post a tweet about an event at QAU in Islamabad, but do not know about basant? Weird, but ok.

2- Yes, basant does have roots in Indian religious festivals.

3- What if the festival originated as a religious festival, but currently has no relation to any religion but is simply an occassion to enjoy and have fun. People at holi do not celebrate it as holi, they just throw colors at each other for fun. Does that make it a religious festival?

People are distressed due to economic conditions in the country. As much as 50 percent of the Muslim population in the country are struggling to make provisions for ritual sacrifice this month.

Idk what basant is.
According to seerah of the Prophet and his companions, any festival of non-muslims is not permissible to be celebrated:

Anas, may Allah be pleased with him, reported: "The Prophet
 sallallaahu  `alayhi  wa  sallam ( may  Allah exalt his mention )
came to Madeenah while they had two days they celebrated. The Prophet
asked, "What are these two days?" They said, 'These are two days we used to celebrate in our pre Islamic era. The Prophet
said: "Allah has replaced them with two better days: 'Eed Al-Adh-Haa and 'Eed Al- Fitr."
Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn al-'Aas, may Allah be pleased with him, said: “Whoever celebrates the Persian New Year's Day or their carnival and imitates them till his death he will be resurrected with them on the Day Judgment.”

3- What if the festival originated as a religious festival, but currently has no relation to any religion but is simply an occassion to enjoy and have fun. People at holi do not celebrate it as holi, they just throw colors at each other for fun. Does that make it a religious festival?
The same argument can be used for almost all non Muslim religious holidays even Christmas. Do you consider Christmas or Easter as halal?
Holi still holds religious significance for Hindus. The origins of Holi was religious and about their beliefs. If people want to throw colours at each other for fun then why do it on the same day as Holi is done and why do it with people who are there celebrating Holi?
That’s like saying a Hindu will come to the slaughter house with me on Eid ul Adha and watch me slaughter a cow for qurbani because he’s just bored and wants to spend the day with me.
But let’s not even discuss this. It’s by consensus of all four schools of thought of Sunni Islam that participating in festivals like Halloween, Christmas, Easter, Holi etc are not permissible for a Muslim. They are haram for Muslims to take part in.
Even for Holi, why do they throw colours? It’s because it originates from their Hindu belief and to Muslims it’s considered Shirk. You might argue these festivals are not religious anymore but the fundamentals of these holidays are still based on religious beliefs of a certain group of people.
Anyways, I’m not a scholar but I will tell you that scholars, at least Sunni scholars of Islam, say participating in such festivals are not permissible. It’s unanimously agreed by all schools of Fiqh. I don’t know what the Shia’s believe but I believe it’s something similar to what Sunnis believe when it comes to such holidays. Maybe @AA_ can share the Shia ruling in celebrating Holi.

1- You follow Pakistani news enough that you post a tweet about an event at QAU in Islamabad, but do not know about basant? Weird, but ok.
I’m pretty young and I’ve never lived in Pakistan. And you don’t even need to follow Pakistan news to see QAU tweets pop up because some of them do cause quite the controversy.

2- Yes, basant does have roots in Indian religious festivals.
It most likely wouldn’t be permissible if its roots are religious. It would be best to consult a scholar who knows what the festival is. But as far as I know, as a Hanafi, Sunni it is impermissible for me to celebrate any festival which origins is religious and not Islamic.

According to seerah of the Prophet and his companions, any festival of non-muslims is not permissible to be celebrated:

Anas, may Allah be pleased with him, reported: "The Prophet
came to Madeenah while they had two days they celebrated. The Prophet
asked, "What are these two days?" They said, 'These are two days we used to celebrate in our pre Islamic era. The Prophet
said: "Allah has replaced them with two better days: 'Eed Al-Adh-Haa and 'Eed Al- Fitr."
Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn al-'Aas, may Allah be pleased with him, said: “Whoever celebrates the Persian New Year's Day or their carnival and imitates them till his death he will be resurrected with them on the Day Judgment.”
Yes exactly. A Muslim can only celebrate Muslim festivals.

Last edited:
They banned our cultural festivals like Basant, despite the fact that Lahore city alone used to generate billions of PKR in a single day due to Basant

I don't think you kids know what Basant was and why it was banned. Either that or you've never stepped foot in Lahore.

• Basant in Pakistan has (had) nothing to do with religion.
  • It was just a kite festival. We didn't exactly worship Hindu deities or anything!
  • It wasn't generating so called "billions of PKR in a single day," quite the opposite, in fact! That's one of the dumbest takes I've heard, BTW.
  • It wasn't banned on religious grounds.
  • It was banned because of glass coated kite strings which were literally slaughtering motorcyclists.
  • Some morons would use wires, instead of kite string, to gain an edge in kite fighting. If those wires fell on electric wires, they would cause electric tripping and short circuits.
TL;DR We turned a kite festival into a blood bath, in a classic Lahori fashion, all in the name of "competition."

The biggest Holi celebration in Pakistan was at Quaid-I-Azam university.
Holi is a holiday originating from Hinduism and celebrated by non Muslims particularly Hindus and Sikhs.
In the video a large crowd of presumably non Muslims is seen celebrating Holi.

@Areesh @Mujahid Memon @TNT @Dalit @lastofthepatriots @kingQamaR @Olympus81 @Genghis khan1 @Great Janjua @Goenitz @AA_ @SaadH @villageidiot @PakAlp @Tamerlane @Drexluddin Khan Spiveyzai @AlKardai @Bleek @Ikbal @hussain0216 @Mirzali Khan
bllody degenerates!

They banned our cultural festivals like Basant, despite the fact that Lahore city alone used to generate billions of PKR in a single day due to Basant.

However, they seem to have no issue embracing foreign impositions in our land. Although I'm supportive of Hindus in Sindh celebrating their festivals freely in thier country,
it's quite baffling that university students from Islamabad would engage in such celebrations. It's like university students in Stockholm celebrating St. Patrick's Day, which comes across as cringe and disconnected from our own cultural heritage

In short I don't like it, this should be discouraged
Although there's tons of other problems in our country and this wouldn't be at the top of my priority list
It's presumably non-Muslim students but I assume there will be some muslims there as well.

About the stockholm thing, if people from stockholm are living or studying in the same place as Irish people, then it's not as cringe. If they just saw St. Patty's Day on TV and started celebrating in Stockholm, that would a different thing

But I do support the POV that it's forbidden for religious reasons.
3- What if the festival originated as a religious festival, but currently has no relation to any religion but is simply an occassion to enjoy and have fun.
It it no longer has any religious significance or undertones, then it should be good.

People at holi do not celebrate it as holi, they just throw colors at each other for fun. Does that make it a religious festival?
The actions of throwing color is superficial. No different than sacrificing animals on Eid-al-Adha. What matters is the spirit.

If holy is completely free from hindu religious undertones, it's okay.
and if an animal is sacrificed in the name someone other than Allah, it's not okay

Eh ? Holi was in late March.

In India we celebrate all the festivals, holi is probably the most democratic of them all as diwali cracker costs are sadly increasingly prohibitive for many. Color is cheap, water is free, pichkaaris are also cheap.

FOGf7GqXEAAdRo5.jpg

img_1553080544257_182.jpg

I don't think you kids know what Basant was and why it was banned. Either that or you've never stepped foot in Lahore.

• Basant in Pakistan has (had) nothing to do with religion.
  • It was just a kite festival. We didn't exactly worship Hindu deities or anything!
  • It wasn't generating so called "billions of PKR in a single day," quite the opposite, in fact! That's one of the dumbest takes I've heard, BTW.
  • It wasn't banned on religious grounds.
  • It was banned because of glass coated kite strings which were literally slaughtering motorcyclists.
  • Some morons would use wires, instead of kite string, to gain an edge in kite fighting. If those wires fell on electric wires, they would cause electric tripping and short circuits.
TL;DR We turned a kite festival into a blood bath, in a classic Lahori fashion, all in the name of "competition."
I agree with your point but you need to take it down a notch. You're starting at an 11. :lol:

Also, please stop condescending people with kid, and cupcake etc, @Maula Jatt is right behind your in years.

Back
Top Bottom