What's new

Zardari to be next president

I am sure Interceptor is a happy lad today. PPP President, PPP PM, a judiciary favorably disposed towards the government, the ability to appoint their hand- picked CoAS after Kiyani retires in 2 years....how much more mandate would PPP need to deliver what they have been promising to the wretched poor of Pakistan for the past 30 plus years?

If the PPP cannot do what it has been promising for decades then its the end of the PPP after this term. What remains of Pakistan after they are done with the country remains debatable, however Zardari and company need to get working post haste. Bohut haraam khory ho chukee for the past 6 months having delivered nothing (well they had all the excuses under the sun including one that claimed an interfering President...so how about now?).

The economic policy is on auto-pilot right now...absolutely zero correction, FOREX reserves are getting depleted massively (because this government has not done ANYTHING to invite FDI back into the country). I just hope that there is at least ONE person in the entire PPP team who understands what failure at this juncture means for the PPP (I would not say Pakistan because for many in the PPP, party is primary, all else is secondary). So maybe in the hopes of keeping the survival of the party in mind, they may do something that would help Pakistan...am I being overly optimistic here?

Hounrable blain2 sir,
I would like to agree to most of your points.
hounrable blain 2 sir, but i would like to clear some of your perceptions, now a days these croupt politicians were back in the rulling thorne just ,because of the stronge backing by USA+CIA= US adminstration & our pakarmys acceptence of US domination in pakistans internal affairs. So , i guss this time these politicians will not be doing silly things like in thier past history, as they are backed and trainned by US admin, as they learned a lot, they are walking on a tight rope.

U.S. Ambassador Discusses Pakistan Contacts
NY.TIMES.COM
By NEIL MacFARQUHAR
Published: September 3, 2008
Zalmay Khalilzad, the United States ambassador to the United Nations, gave a fuller account on Wednesday of his contacts with Asif Ali Zardari, a potential president of Pakistan and the widower of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. Senior State Department officials expressed irritation last month Mr. Khalilzad had kept in close contact with Mr. Zardari, saying it might look like Washington was anointing a candidate. Mr. Khalilzad said he was friendly with the Bhutto family and had talked to Mr. Zardari perhaps seven times since he had returned to Pakistan from exile.???

As we should also accept the fact, our new COAS(GEN. KIYANI) was hand picked by BB with the help of the SEC. OF STATE of usa. why we dont put the realities in the right frame of mind?

It couldbe, in other direction, i mean COAS couldbe given 2 years more extention for his role to dislodge MUSHARAF. also ZARDARI wouldnt be thinking to shake warning bells in the upper command of the PAKARMY.
I guss, from his recnt actions, he is looking more smartter thn before, even much smartter than NAWAZ SHARIF, thus he wouldnt be doing the silly things,as what !most of his opponents & critics were thinking now( including myself).

Yes , i am worried about our reseves, yes i am worried about our nukes, yes i am worried about more suffrings of the comman man, yes i am more worried about price hikes, and also i am very much worried about the future of our ARMED FORCES & its institutions like ISI.

But the , cure remains in the hands of pakarmy like always! all what they need stronger will and loyal dedication towards pakistan! not towards uncle sam???:cry::tsk::disagree:

Last edited:
I am all for Democracy - we should give it all the time and chances in the world!. the question is not democracy now it is CREDIBILITY! people (foreign esp) will think very hard before they work with this so called leadership.

Last edited:
Hi my name is Muhammad Yousaf and this is my first post.
I think zardari being the president is a big downfall for
Pakistani. Because his record is not polite. He has a big
criminal record. So Zardari being the President is gonna
be a long and rough ride

Hi my name is Muhammad Yousaf and this is my first post.
I think zardari being the president is a big downfall for
Pakistani. Because his record is not polite. He has a big
criminal record. So Zardari being the President is gonna
be a long and rough ride

:cheers:welcomeon pak def:welcome:

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan's new president, Asif Ali Zardari, must dispel the perception he is an artful politician and urgently address a deteriorating economy and worsening militant violence, newspapers said on Sunday.

Zardari, the widower of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, swept a presidential election by legislators on Saturday, winning 481 of 702 electoral college votes to cement his hold on power in nuclear-armed Pakistan.

Zardari spent 11 years in jail on corruption and murder charges and although he was never convicted, and denied any wrongdoing, he faces widespread doubts about his suitability to be president.

A split in the ruling coalition last month amid accusations that Zardari had broken promises on resolving a long-running judicial dispute only added to the questions.

"The challenges ahead are enormous," the News said in an editorial.

"For a starter, he needs a quick and complete makeover of his image from a wily politician ... not mindful of whether he was breaking his promises or losing his credibility," it said.

The Dawn newspaper agreed.

"What Mr Zardari needs to do is dispel the impression that he is a political wheeler-dealer who is adept at making backroom deals but unable to rise to the requirements of statesmanship," it said in an editorial.

Investors and foreign allies led by the United States hope the election will bring some stability after months of political turmoil and rising militant violence. The uncertainty has dragged Pakistani stocks and the rupee sharply lower.

An early test for Zardari will be whether he keeps a promise, that he reiterated after his victory on Saturday, to strip the presidency of the power to dismiss parliament.

"If Mr Zardari fails to keep his word again his credibility and democratic credentials will be in tatters," Dawn said.

"BREAKING DOWN THE DOOR"

With inflation at nearly 25 percent, dwindling foreign reserves, a widening current account deficit and a sliding rupee, newspapers said the government had to focus on the economy.

Dawn said the government, led by Zardari's Pakistan People's Party (PPP), had done little to halt the economic slide since it was formed after a February general election.

"The PPP-led coalition government, now in the sixth month of its existence, has not arranged any significant amount of money to prop up the economy," it said.

A former businessman, Zardari is close to the United States and has stressed Pakistan's commitment to the deeply unpopular campaign against militancy. U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice welcomed Zardari's election and praised what she said was his emphasis on fighting terrorism.

But Zardari is taking office at a time when many Pakistanis see the United States as a threat, especially after a bloody incursion by U.S. ground troops hunting suspected militants in a village on the Afghan border on Wednesday.

"The sovereignty of the country is at risk," the News said.

Dawn said relations between the United States and Pakistan were at their lowest ebb since the September 11 attacks.

"Mr Zardari must use his new office to defuse the crisis .... it is simply too dangerous to have the Americans breaking down the door to Pakistan," it said.

But Zardari could be torn as he tries to reassure the United States of a tough stand while calming the anger of the many Pakistanis opposed to the U.S.-led campaign.

The Nation newspaper said in tackling militancy, Zardari should listen to the people.

"Not only their sensitivities but also the supreme national interest call for a negotiated rather than a military solution to the problem," it said.

This could very well turn out to be blessing in disguise for Pakistan. Now PPP controls the power in the Pakistan. They have president, prime minister, are in government in all four provinces and have their own speaker in the national assembly. Now they can not say to the people they were unable to deliver because there were forces working against them. If they do not deliver then they shall be out of power next time.

With added power comes added responsibility. This is a make or break situation for the PPP. If they wish to stay in Pakistani politics then they have to deliver else :wave::wave:

I agree with the above. However, the opposition is likely to rule (Nawaz group) if PPP fails to deliver.. while PML-Q might get more popularity.

PM greets Zardari, says he will find a friend in India

New Delhi (PTI): Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday greeted Pakistan's President Asif Ali Zardari saying that "in your new office, you will find a friend in India" which has the "political will" to seize opportunities ushered by return of democracy in that country and transform ties.

In a message to the Pakistan People's Party leader on his assuming the high office, Singh said the government and the people of India wanted to "build close ties of friendship and partnership between our countries that respond to the aspirations of our two peoples".

He said that "the ushering in of democracy in Pakistan opens new opportunities for us to work together to bring the fruits of peace, prosperity and development to our region by developing the close and cooperative ties that should be normal between two neighbours".

The Prime Minister said "we have the political will to work with you to seize these opportunities and transform our relations. In your new office, you will find a friend in India".

The Hindu News Update Service

tht single sherry rehman and single zardari close snap shot "touched my heart":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

lol, i am speachless :lol::lol::lol::lol:

god bless pakistan!!!

Zardari to visit China, negotiate nuclear deal
Indo-Asian News Service
Monday, September 08, 2008, (Islamabad)
Asif Ali Zardari, the new president of Pakistan, will visit China next week to negotiate a nuclear deal similar to the one between India and the US, an official said on Monday.

"Pakistan is already in touch with China for the nuclear deal to meet its energy crisis and the talks would start during Zardari's visit," an official said.

Zardari, who was elected president on Saturday, will be sworn in on Tuesday and has already announced that his first foreign visit will be to China.

The official said that under the proposed deal, China will supply nuclear material to Pakistan to meet its energy crisis.

"This has nothing to do with the US-India deal but that has certainly provided us a way out to meet our energy crisis," he said.

For the last many years, Pakistan has failed to meet its growing energy needs and the situation has worsened since November 2007, with the country facing massive power cuts and adopting summer time to benefit the most from daylight and save energy.

"Of course it will take time to finalise the deal after going through its details but the initial talks would start during Zardari's visit and a memorandum of understanding (MoU) may be signed for reaching an agreement," said the official.

Zardari's visit will coincide with the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games September 17.

"Zardari will participate in the closing ceremony as well," said the official.

Pakistan and China have a long history of close cooperation that started in early 50s and saw stronger ties during former prime minister and Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's era.

As foreign minister in military dictator Ayub Khan's government, Bhutto played an active role in bringing Pakistan and China closer when the US was distancing itself from Pakistan in the mid 1960s.

In the last three years, there have been 10 state visits by Pakistani officials to China. Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani was the last top official to visit China last month. In April, former president Pervez Musharraf has also visited the country. :china::pakistan:

NDTV.com: Pak media welcomes Zardari as President

why only indian media is talking about a neuclear deal :cheesy::cheesy:

Zardari to visit China, negotiate nuclear deal
Indo-Asian News Service
Monday, September 08, 2008, (Islamabad)
Asif Ali Zardari, the new president of Pakistan, will visit China next week to negotiate a nuclear deal similar to the one between India and the US, an official said on Monday.

"Pakistan is already in touch with China for the nuclear deal to meet its energy crisis and the talks would start during Zardari's visit," an official said.

Zardari, who was elected president on Saturday, will be sworn in on Tuesday and has already announced that his first foreign visit will be to China.

The official said that under the proposed deal, China will supply nuclear material to Pakistan to meet its energy crisis.

"This has nothing to do with the US-India deal but that has certainly provided us a way out to meet our energy crisis," he said.

For the last many years, Pakistan has failed to meet its growing energy needs and the situation has worsened since November 2007, with the country facing massive power cuts and adopting summer time to benefit the most from daylight and save energy.

"Of course it will take time to finalise the deal after going through its details but the initial talks would start during Zardari's visit and a memorandum of understanding (MoU) may be signed for reaching an agreement," said the official.

Zardari's visit will coincide with the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games September 17.

"Zardari will participate in the closing ceremony as well," said the official.

Pakistan and China have a long history of close cooperation that started in early 50s and saw stronger ties during former prime minister and Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's era.

As foreign minister in military dictator Ayub Khan's government, Bhutto played an active role in bringing Pakistan and China closer when the US was distancing itself from Pakistan in the mid 1960s.

In the last three years, there have been 10 state visits by Pakistani officials to China. Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani was the last top official to visit China last month. In April, former president Pervez Musharraf has also visited the country. :china::pakistan:

NDTV.com: Pak media welcomes Zardari as President

why only indian media is talking about a neuclear deal :cheesy::cheesy:

he also needs 25% of this big deal.;)

Back
Top Bottom