What's new

Zardari to be next president

It would work if there was a better institutional framework in place. For example tell me how there are family dynasties in political parties in both Pakistan AND India? How are they representative of "democracy"?
When there are feudal lords who manipulate votes and use "democracy" to curry influence and money how is that going to help?

And why when the current figures have so much negative history can you claim that they are the solution?

The only way for democracy to work is as follows. There must be a legally binding framework on how political parties can be run. No nepotism or crony ism.
Severe punishments for corruption.
A free education system in place for at least 10 years for as many Pakistani's as possible. With a emphasis upon the poorer areas. (You can't bullshit a educated person quite as easily.)

Frankly we need a lot of work before democracy works. Especially when it is run by idiots.for idiots.
My friend I agree with you no doubt we have many problems, which have to be fixed, but India have similar problems and still it is a democracy. My question still stands, if India can have democracy, why can’t Pakistan?

The final count is he got 458 votes in three assemblies while resulty of Pubjab assembly is not yet made public.

what a loss to the nation

Congratulations to Zardari for winning Pakistan President Election he has reiterated that he is the most powerful man in Pakistan.

Congratulations to Zardari for winning Pakistan President Election he has reiterated that he is the most powerful man in Pakistan.

MAY GOD SAVE PAKISTAN!

ONCE A CHOR, ALWAYS A CHOR!

MAY GOD SAVE PAKISTAN!

A very sad day indeed sir.

it was obvious that he was going to get the vote with CIA at his back but sir what i feel that the result will be an eye opner for Nawaz Sharif to get his acts togather and work for unification of the Muslim League.

Punjab Assembly has currently 371 members and now it has to seen that being a majority party in Punjab how many of its members betrayed the party and voted for ghadari.

in all other provinces it was one sided.

MAY GOD SAVE PAKISTAN!

Everything is allegations nothing is proven, Even then the allegations were in Past. Even I referred him as Mr 10%.

He lead PPP in elections and he toppled Musharaf democratically (not thorugh coup) some thing which was unthinkable few months ago.

Even though you may have hatred show respects to your newly elected president who has been elected and not forced.

Indeed They will go down as most powerful couple in history of Pakistan.(BB is not alive whih made this possible)

Everything is allegations nothing is proven, Even then the allegations were in Past. Even I referred him as Mr 10%.

He lead PPP in elections and he toppled Musharaf democratically (not thorugh coup) some thing which was unthinkable few months ago.

Even though you may have hatred show respects to your newly elected president who has been elected and not forced.

its very true of indian nature to always support anything that hurts pakistan.. this is democracy so we dont give a **** about this president! freedom of choice or speech...

i am hearing news that zardari has won the vote to be pakistan president, let me say what a sad and black day in the history of pakistan and its people.

Its a shame that ppp is introducing a system of monarchy in to pakistan, first bhutto, then his daughter now husband and for sure in the future their son.

This is a sad day for pakistan and democracy and it only strengthens the separatists views that some groups hold in pakistan.

No faith in the government since independence.

its very true of indian nature to always support anything that hurts pakistan.. this is democracy so we dont give a **** about this president! freedom of choice or speech...

I would have supported Pakistan Presidential elections its Pakistanis who decided their president.

btw his election coincided with nuclear deal so good for India.

Asif Ali Zardari wins presidential election ;););)
ISLAMABAD, Sept 6 (APP): Asif Ali Zardari Saturday routed his opponents from PML-N and PML-Q, in the presidential election with a pledge to strengthen democracy, bring political harmony and wipe out terrorism from the country, as its next President. According to the unofficial result out of 702 Asif Ali Zardari secured 479 votes, of which he got 281 from Parliament, 22 from Punjab, 64 from Sindh, 59 from Balochistan and 56 from NWFP.

Justice retired Saeeduzaman Siddique got 153 and Mushahid Hussain got 43 votes.

Asif Ali Zardari, the co-chairman of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party and widower of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, contested the election after resignation of President Pervez Musharraf on August 18.

As the Parliament building reverberated with vociferous slogans of “Jeye Bhutto” and “Zinda hae BiBi zinda hae”, raised by the parliamentarians and joined by those in the galleries, the Chief Election Commissioner announced the unofficial results, placing Zardari far ahead of his rivals.

In the Parliament Zardari secured 281 votes, 111 by Justice (Retd) Saeeduzaman Siddique and 34 by Mushahid Hussain Sayed, out of 436 total votes, of which ten were declared invalid.

He also blitzkrieged through the polls in the provincial assemblies of NWFP, Sindh and Balochistan.

Asif Ali Zardari secured 123 in Punjab Assembly, 162 in Sindh Assembly, 107 in NWFP, and 59 in Balochistan Assembly.

His rival Justice (Retd) Saeeduzaman Siddique got 201 votes in Punjab Assembly, none from Sindh, 10 from NWFP and 2 from Balochistan Assembly.

Mushahid Hussain got 36 from Punjab Assembly, none from Sindh, 3 from NWFP and 2 from Balochistan Assembly.

The voting was held through a secret ballot in the Parliament and the four provincial assemblies simultaneously.

Zardari termed his victory “a success of the people and the democracy” as his young daughters Bakhtawar and Asifa, witnessed the momentous event in the Parliament House from the galleries.

Fizza Gilani, the daughter of Syed Yousaf Raza Gilani gave them company.

The women parliamentarians overwhelmed with emotions rushed to the two sisters, hugged them with tears rolling down their eyes. Party workers waved the tri-colour party flags and photographs of late Benazir Bhutto.

Asif Ali Zardari is likely to take oath of his office as President of Pakistan on September 7, 2008.

Chief Justice Abdul Hameed Dogar will administer him oath of office at the Aiwan-e-Sadr.

Back
Top Bottom