What's new

Zardari to be next president

@Jana,
You guys just complain and complain.. why dont u come up with a solution?
You'll complain about this u'll complain about that... army ruled this country more then the civilians, then what do u expect? army makes a mess and then let the people clear it. and when there is some space to breathe the corrupt army generals come back to power to take their share again... it is circle that doesnt have any end... I know one thing, if people can cleanly kick mushi or ur "President Musharaf's" a$$, people can do anything if they are given this chance...

share some solution about this crisis next time u want to complain.

:rofl: hmm yeh we are complaining ;)

People did not kicked Musharraf. Its just that Zardari's @$$ is being shoven by US/CIA for which he has to carry on their agenda after Musharrf had given too much headach to US by not fulfilling her dream of handing over Qadir, refused to role back Nuke program and refused to open up nukes for them.

Corrupt army generals ??? :lol: go and have another reality check man even combined the wealth of all the general in the history of Pakistan will not be equale to even 1/1000th of the loot and plunder by gunja Nawaz and thug zardari.

It was everytime that these dirty politicians led to Martial Law.

Just imagine zardari become a president, changes the head of ISI and places own man, changes Kiyani and places own man, sells Pakistani assets to India.

Now what will you expect who is going to stop him ????

indeed ARMY

@dr umer
u got a better idea?
noone wants to see that crook as the president; but praise mr mushi who brought him back by wiping his a$$ clean from all the sins he committed. Its a game of power, media is playing a good role by showing the people the real faces of these no-gooders.

Media is & was playing a pathetic role. Persident Musharraf brought Zardari back but on whose demand? On demand of people & your pathetic media that "Democracy should be given a chance. President never asked people to elect him in elections. It was people's choice. They got what they wanted, so enjoy. Why are you crying now?

But the question is who will come to our rescue now?

Ask "Democracy" to rescue now.

This is where we needed an independent judiciary. Praise mr mushi again by kicking the good judges out of the judicial system...

I think your democratic puppets got the vote on promise of restoration of judges. Now Persident Musharraf is gone. Ask democratic puppets to restore judges now? As a matter of fact this nation has again been fooled by a$$hole democratic forces. But this will happen again and again until they learn a lesson.

This whole mess is created by army "goon" generals and they are not gonna clean it up.

Are you in your senses? When Pak Army wants to come you people say we need democracy. When they are not present you say why they don't come and clean this mess.

Remember - This is not PPP or PML forum, keep that in mind. I think you have been warned earlier about your cheap comments about Pak Army. Just look at Kashmir what is happening there, atleast I am thankful to God that I sleep safe at night because my beloved forces are awake.

At least pay some regards. If there was no Pak Army, then surely your a** would be getting *** from enemy Army, remain sure of that.

The only way is to let the people purge them from the system. Let the people be for a change... u cannot expect this mess and the people who benefited from mushi to evaporate after mushi's departure, these elements will resist, it will take time only. we need CJ Iftikhar back, we need independent judiciary, this is what we should all be struggling for to make judiciary independent and powerful to hold ppl like zardari accountable. ppl like zardari has short life span in power, see what happened in the past.. ppl like him come and go.

Better go back to Tehrik-e-Insaf Forum and write it there. They can help you getting CJ back.

By the way he is not coming back... Thanks to your elected representatives.

@Neo
by starting ur comment by a big Lol doesnt put weight to your argument and I wasnt telling any joke... if we had a civil government from the start, if we debate the share of army's budget in the parliament, if we look the army as a service under the government and accountable to the people of Pakistan.. non of that would have happened; army's wings must be clipped and also I am not saying that civil rule was always perfect, what I am saying is that we never had continuity of that rule... this is the reason why we are far behind from the rest of the world.. i just want to know of a solution that doesnt include the army... independent judiciary and continuity of democracy is the only solution, it is working everywhere.. and it can work in Pakistan...

@dr umer..

i disagree to most of what you said.. you are looking at the whole thing by army's perspective.. ur arguments are biased.. u r right to criticise the civil rule but that cannot be an argument to justify army's intervention in civil affairs.. we should look for a solution somewhere else rather then excepting the army's power *** race in Pakistan...

anyway army should know its place and its constitutional role period... let the poeple of Pakistan rule Pakistan...

@Neo
by starting ur comment by a big Lol doesnt put weight to your argument and I wasnt telling any joke...
Neo's argument never needed LOL to put weight on. :azn:
if we had a civil government from the start, if we debate the share of army's budget in the parliament, if we look the army as a service under the government and accountable to the people of Pakistan... non of that would have happened;

We need to be clear of our aims here. Why we need to debate share of Army's budget in the parliment? Why are you interested? Are you in favor of cutting military purchase budget? As a consequence, defence of Pakistan will weaken. But what will you as an ordinary Pakistani achieve? Nothing, just a barbar shop discussion topic.

Infact it has been done by PPP recently. Pak Defence budget was presented in Parliment. So do you have any comments on that? Trust me you wouldn't have read the text of speech of that part of budget. So what did you get from it?

Remember - Army is not a political party running on charities or fedual lords or corrupt so called businessmen.

Why not to start a debate about political parties budget in the Assembly? Why not to start uncovering the assets of our so called Democratic a$$holes in National Assembly? Why you never advocate that? Because people like your mentality want democracy to run by these so called democratic puppets.

... also I am not saying that civil rule was always perfect, what I am saying is that we never had continuity of that rule... this is the reason why we are far behind from the rest of the world..

Civil Govt is elected by elections where mostly illetrate people vote. Fuedal system & cast system, no good menifestos, play part. Unless this pervails, there can be no true democracy. It is a wet dream to compare Pakistan democracy with westren democracy. This is what most of us don't understand.

Also, don't forget, that it is always US backed democratic puppets who lick Army shoes and beg them to take over. We have a history of that which is undeniable.

i just want to know of a solution that doesnt include the army... independent judiciary and continuity of democracy is the only solution, it is working everywhere.. and it can work in Pakistan...

What you are not understanding is that you have the solution now in the form of Mr. Zardari. Even the political parties confess that COAS Gen Kiyani is highly professional & is keeping Pakistan Army totally away from politics.

So Pakistan Army is away from politics now and is completly under control of Govt of Pakistan.

People let's enjoy democracy by Zardari, :hitwall:

Last edited:
@dr umer..

i disagree to most of what you said.. you are looking at the whole thing by army's perspective.. ur arguments are biased.. u r right to criticise the civil rule but that cannot be an argument to justify army's intervention in civil affairs.. we should look for a solution somewhere else rather then excepting the army's power *** race in Pakistan...

anyway army should know its place and its constitutional role period... let the poeple of Pakistan rule Pakistan...
Well said!

If democracy can work in India, it can also work in Pakistan, if our Generals allow it to. There is lot of corruption in India, but their Generals do not overthrow the elected governments. As a nation, we have to learn and move on, you don't discard the whole system, as our Generals have done again and again.

Well said!

If democracy can work in India, it can also work in Pakistan, if our Generals allow it to. There is lot of corruption in India, but their Generals do not overthrow the elected governments. As a nation, we have to learn and move on, you don't discard the whole system, as our Generals have done again and again.

It would work if there was a better institutional framework in place. For example tell me how there are family dynasties in political parties in both Pakistan AND India? How are they representative of "democracy"?
When there are feudal lords who manipulate votes and use "democracy" to curry influence and money how is that going to help?

And why when the current figures have so much negative history can you claim that they are the solution?

The only way for democracy to work is as follows. There must be a legally binding framework on how political parties can be run. No nepotism or crony ism.
Severe punishments for corruption.
A free education system in place for at least 10 years for as many Pakistani's as possible. With a emphasis upon the poorer areas. (You can't bullshit a educated person quite as easily.)

Frankly we need a lot of work before democracy works. Especially when it is run by idiots.for idiots.

Under a cloud, Zardari ready to lead Pakistan

By Jane Perlez Published: September 4, 2008

ISLAMABAD: Asif Ali Zardari, the widower of Benazir Bhutto, is set to become president Saturday, an accidental ascent for a man known more as a wheeler-dealer than as a leader. He will start his tenure burdened by a history of corruption allegations that cloud his reputation even as they remain unproven.

He has won the reluctant support of the Bush administration, which views him as a pliable partner in the campaign on terror. Still, Zardari will assume the presidency with what Washington and many here consider to be untested governing skills at a time when a tough Taliban insurgency threatens the very fabric of the nuclear-armed state of 160 million people.

It remains to be seen how forcefully he will act against militants in the face of Pakistani public opposition to American pressure. It is also unclear how much influence he exerts over the still-powerful military and the Inter-Services Intelligence agency.

The editor-in-chief of the Daily Times, Najam Sethi, a supporter of Zardari, said his elevation would suit the Americans. Zardari, he said, "will learn on the job." And indeed, Zardari, 53, has shown canny political skills as he moved in the last two weeks to outmaneuver his rival and former coalition partner, Nawaz Sharif.

But while the economy is in a downward spiral and foreign exchange reserves are perilously low, Zardari's reputation for using political perches to benefit himself and friends has left many here and in Washington worried about how he will restore economic confidence.

There are concerns about the oversight of a $15 billion package of nonmilitary assistance proposed by the Democratic vice presidential candidate, Senator Joseph Biden, and backed by the Bush administration.

Zardari declined to be interviewed for this article. The minister for information, Sherry Rehman, said it was too "sensitive" for Zardari to talk before the election, which was called after President Pervez Musharraf resigned on Aug. 18.

Pakistan has only $6 billion in foreign exchange reserves, disappearing at the rate of close to $2 billion every month to pay for oil and food. Several prominent economists and businessmen interviewed said much investor nervousness stems from mistrust of Zardari, who served as minister of investment in Bhutto's government when it was accused of demanding illicit payments in return for deals that exceeded the accepted levels of corruption in Pakistan.

Two recent decisions by Zardari showed a disregard for Pakistan's alarming deficits, they said, insisting on anonymity because they did not want to speak out publicly against the next president.

In April, Zardari told the then-finance minister, Ishaq Dar, that he wanted the price the government paid farmers for wheat to be raised substantially as a way of rewarding an important constituency in the province of Punjab, according to two participants in the discussion who feared repercussions if they used their names. The government would then have to heavily subsidize the cost of wheat to the consumer.

When Dar asked Zardari how he thought the government would pay for the subsidy, Zardari replied: "Print the notes," according to the two participants, a government official and an associate of Zardari's. In an effort to solve the impasse over the cost of the subsidy, it was suggested that Zardari form a committee of experts.

"I am the expert," Zardari said, according to his associate.

The two also described another incident in May as the budget was being prepared. Zardari decided to scrap a proposed capital gains tax after a visit from a group of influential stockbrokers from the Karachi stock exchange, they said.

The revenue from the capital gains tax and from an income levy tax proposal on the rich would have paid for an income support program for the poorest Pakistanis, they said. More than 50 percent of Pakistanis live on less than $2 a day, according to the World Bank.

In Zardari's defense, the finance minister, Naveed Qamar, said this week that political stability would be restored to Pakistan once Zardari was president and that the unsettled economy would benefit from the new political order.

Others were not so sure.

"Zardari will wield unprecedented power for a civilian president," said Maleeha Lodhi, who was appointed as Pakistan's ambassador to the United States by Bhutto and then by Musharraf. "But he may lack authority in view of his checkered and controversial past."

Washington is trying to persuade Pakistan to take a stronger stance against the militants who are using the northern tribal areas as a sanctuary to attack American and NATO forces in Afghanistan. Despite their reservations, American officials prefer Zardari to Sharif because they believe Zardari's Pakistan Peoples Party to be more secular and liberal than Sharif's party and more likely to confront militants.

Zardari has displayed a sudden willingness to take on the Taliban, saying last week that he would ban them and freeze their assets, a starting point strongly favored by the State Department, though it would have limited impact on the militants.

"Zardari is a businessman," said a Western diplomat. "He says to himself: 'I know I need American support. What do they want? They want this,"' meaning a stance against the Taliban.

But as Zardari moved to the fore, some of his efforts to please Washington have exposed his uneasy relationship with the military and Inter-Services Intelligence, or ISI, the powerful spy agency, whom he accused of assassinating his wife last December.

An effort to control the agency and impress the Bush administration failed in late July. Zardari and a senior official at the Interior Ministry, Rehman Malik, directed the prime minister's department to issue a public notification that the agency would report to the Interior Ministry; the military swiftly ordered the prime minister to retract the notice.

Washington has charged that the spy agency is involved in sabotaging American interests by supporting the Taliban in the tribal region.

"His first attempt to get control of the army and ISI was a total failure that showed a naivete about how the army and the ISI work," said Bruce Riedel, a former member of the National Security Council in the Clinton administration who is now advising the campaign of Senator Barack Obama on Pakistan.

Although Zardari will chair the body that has command and control over Pakistan's nuclear arsenal, in reality, the military has the day-to-day management of the weapons.

In the five months at the head of the governing coalition that collapsed after pushing Musharraf from power, Zardari filled key posts in the government with people he knew from jail and from his time in exile. He refused to reinstate the chief justice of the Supreme Court, who was removed by Musharraf. His opponents say he feared the chief justice might have reversed an amnesty that allowed Zardari's corruption cases to be dropped.

Zardari was in jail from 1990 to 1993 after Bhutto's first term and from 1996 to 2004 after her second term. He has always maintained that the corruption charges, and a murder charge, were politically motivated by forces trying to minimize his influence, and that he refused offers for early release from prison.

In Britain, Zardari faced a civil case brought by the Pakistani government in connection with a country manor in southern England. The government argued that Zardari paid for the property with ill-gotten gains. In order to win a delay in the British courts, Zardari filed affidavits in early 2006 from two doctors in New York saying he was mentally unable to assist his lawyers.

According to the affidavits, first reported by The Financial Times, Zardari, who was living at the time at an elegant apartment building in Manhattan, and who friends said appeared to be in good spirits, suffered from dementia, major depressive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.

The Pakistani high commissioner in London, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, who was recently appointed to the post by Zardari and is an old friend, said Zardari is now fit and well.

After the vote Saturday, he will live in the presidential palace, a white marble edifice in the center of the capital. There, behind the tall colonnades and long corridors, according to a close associate, he will have achieved three things he most covets.

As president he will have, according to the Constitution, immunity from prosecution. He will enjoy top security. And he will be provided with the rites of protocol that will allow him to appear on the world stage as a leader in his own right, and not just as the spouse of one.

@Neo
by starting ur comment by a big Lol doesnt put weight to your argument and I wasnt telling any joke... if we had a civil government from the start, if we debate the share of army's budget in the parliament, if we look the army as a service under the government and accountable to the people of Pakistan.. non of that would have happened; army's wings must be clipped and also I am not saying that civil rule was always perfect, what I am saying is that we never had continuity of that rule... this is the reason why we are far behind from the rest of the world.. i just want to know of a solution that doesnt include the army... independent judiciary and continuity of democracy is the only solution, it is working everywhere.. and it can work in Pakistan...

We've had this discussion before in some other thread. In order to save Pakistan we need to take several steps.

1 - Eliminate feudal system.
2 - Persue an independence jurisdiction and prevent the judges entering politics to follow own agenda.
3 - Eliminate ileteracy and poverty.
4 - Devide Pakistan in smaller provinces, i.e. give each 'zillah' (district) the status of a 'suba' (province).
5 - Keep US and KSA out of our domestic and regional affairs.
6 - Reconsider our role in WoT and follow 'Pakistan First' policy.
7 - Instead of taking financial aid or assitance from allies or friendly countries, let them build heavy industries or invest in human resources, infrastructure and education.
8 - Stop blaming others for our own failures and learn from the mistakes of the past.

This would be a good start. :coffee:

This article above is the most accurate sofar. As I did predict on Pakdef the Pakistani will be bankrupt before 2009. There is one line so clear... Even the person is a miserable thief he got this far purely thanks to USA support. So the national idea of democracy whatever is very far from reality... It was BB that blamed Musharraf as slave of the USA. In reality her husband is the worst in his kind...

I invite you all, who can read Urdu, to please see my JUSTUJU (The Quest) articles in the Urdu Khabar Nama and Bahas اردو خبرنامہ اور بحث section on this subject.

We've had this discussion before in some other thread. In order to save Pakistan we need to take several steps.

1 - Eliminate feudal system.
2 - Persue an independence jurisdiction and prevent the judges entering politics to follow own agenda.
3 - Eliminate ileteracy and poverty.
4 - Devide Pakistan in smaller provinces, i.e. give each 'zillah' (district) the status of a 'suba' (province).
5 - Keep US and KSA out of our domestic and regional affairs.
6 - Reconsider our role in WoT and follow 'Pakistan First' policy.
7 - Instead of taking financial aid or assitance from allies or friendly countries, let them build heavy industries or invest in human resources, infrastructure and education.
8 - Stop blaming others for our own failures and learn from the mistakes of the past.

This would be a good start. :coffee:

this would require a class revolution like the french revolution. these people are a curse to our country!

Pakistan is teetering on the brink of default.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

By Farrukh Saleem

ISLAMABAD : Of the 192 members of the United Nations, Pakistan 's sovereign debt is now the riskiest. For the week ending Aug 29, Government of Pakistan bonds overtook Argentina 's to be the most unsafe for investment.

In London, where Credit Default Swaps (CDS) are traded, the price for insuring $10 million worth of Argentina's debt stood at $788,000 while the price to insure the Government of Pakistan-guaranteed debt skyrocketed to $950,000 — something that has never happened before — Pakistan's debt is now the priciest to insure (read: the London market is contemplating a default-like scenario).

Pakistan 's total foreign debt and liabilities have now crossed the $45 billion mark. ' Pakistan : Could the Political Chaos Lead to Sovereign Default?' a report by Citibank, asserts "if Pakistan opted to default, it would have to reschedule all of its debts, which amounts to $2.6 billion in self-issued bonds and $13.9 billion in bilateral debt". The report expects the "Pakistani rupee's fall to continue in light of government inaction and the break-up of the government coalition".

Pakistan is teetering on the brink of default. The rupee has lost some 20 per cent of its value over the past quarter and the KSE-100 Index is down a whopping 45 per cent. Pakistan cannot do without the IMF, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Islamic Development Bank and another Saudi oil facility.

On the internal front, things are even more critical. By the end of August, inter-corporate circular debt had soared to a colossal Rs400 billion. The government owes oil marketing companies Rs84 billion on account of price differential claims (PDC).

The Pakistan Electric Power Company (Pepco) is owed Rs150 billion. The Federally Administered Tribal Areas (Fata) owe Pepco Rs75 billion. The Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) is holding back the payment of Rs56 billion. Several Independent Power Producers (IPPs) have threatened to encash the government guarantees.

Hubco (1,200 MW), Kapco (1,600 MW) and Uch (586 MW) are unable to produce electricity because of stuck payments with the government. Hubco and Uch, producing 1,786 MW, have put the government on a 30-day notice to pay their arrears of Rs66 billion or they would turn their plants off.

Pakistan is facing an acute solvency crisis. What happens after a country defaults on its debt obligations? Confidence, international as well as domestic, collapses, jobs are lost and economic activity takes a severe beating. And we have a part-time finance minister, an almost dummy prime minister and a highly controversial politician poised to become the president. Make your own calculations.

Bhutto Widower With Clouded Past Is Set to Lead
NYTimes.com

By JANE PERLEZ
Published: September 4, 2008

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Asif Ali Zardari, the widower of Benazir Bhutto, is set to become president on Saturday, an accidental ascent for a man known more as a wheeler-dealer than a leader. He will start his tenure burdened by a history of corruption allegations that cloud his reputation even as they remain unproved.
Though he has won the reluctant support of the Bush administration, which views him as a willing partner in the campaign against terrorism, Mr. Zardari will assume the presidency with what many consider untested governing skills as a tough Taliban insurgency threatens the very fabric of Pakistan, a nuclear-armed state of 165 million people.
It remains to be seen how forcefully he will act against militants in the face of Pakistani public opposition to American pressure. Nor is it clear how much influence he exerts over the still powerful military and the nation’s premier spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence.
The editor in chief of the Daily Times, Najam Sethi, once an opponent and now a supporter of Mr. Zardari, said the elevation of Mr. Zardari would suit the Americans. Mr. Zardari, he said, “will learn on the job.” And indeed, Mr. Zardari, 53, has shown canny political skills as he has moved in the last two weeks to outmaneuver his former coalition partner, Nawaz Sharif, who served twice as prime minister.
But with the economy in a downward spiral and foreign exchange reserves perilously low, Mr. Zardari’s reputation for using political perches to benefit himself and his friends has left many here and in Washington worried about how he will restore economic confidence.

There are concerns about the oversight of a $15 billion package of nonmilitary aid proposed by the Democratic vice presidential nominee, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware, and backed by the Bush administration.

Mr. Zardari declined to be interviewed for this article. Pakistan’s information minister, Sherry Rehman, said it was too “sensitive” for him to talk before the election.

Pakistan has only $6 billion in foreign exchange reserves, disappearing at the rate of close to $2 billion a month to pay for oil and food. Several prominent economists and businessmen said much investor nervousness stemmed from mistrust of Mr. Zardari, who was investment minister in Ms. Bhutto’s government when it was accused of demanding illicit payments in return for deals that exceeded the accepted levels of corruption in Pakistan.

Fiscal Ability Questioned

Two recent decisions by Mr. Zardari showed a disregard for Pakistan’s alarming deficits, they said, speaking anonymously because they did not want to publicly criticize the next president.

In April, Mr. Zardari told Ishaq Dar, the finance minister at the time and a member of Mr. Sharif’s party, which has since broken with Mr. Zardari, that he wanted the price the government paid farmers for wheat to be raised substantially as a way of rewarding an important constituency in Punjab Province, the nation’s most populous, according to two participants in the discussion with Mr. Zardari. The government would then have to heavily subsidize the cost of wheat to the consumer.

When Mr. Dar asked Mr. Zardari how he thought the government would pay for the subsidy, Mr. Zardari replied, “Print the notes,” according to the two participants, a government official and an associate of Mr. Zardari’s. In an effort to solve the impasse over the subsidy, it was suggested that Mr. Zardari form a committee of experts.
“ ‘I am the expert,’ ” Mr. Zardari said, according to his associate.

Farahnaz Ispahani, a spokeswoman for Mr. Zardari’s party, denied the account.

The two officials described another episode in May as the budget was being prepared. Mr. Zardari decided to scrap a proposed capital gains tax after a visit from a group of influential stockbrokers from the Karachi stock exchange, they said. The revenue from the capital gains tax, and from an income tax proposal on the rich, would have paid for an income support program for the poorest Pakistanis, they said. More than half of Pakistanis live on less than $2 a day, according to the World Bank.
In Mr. Zardari’s defense, the finance minister, Naveed Qamar, said that political stability would be restored to Pakistan once Mr. Zardari was president, and that the unsettled economy would benefit from the new political order.
Others were not so sure.

“Zardari will wield unprecedented power for a civilian president,” said Maleeha Lodhi, who was appointed as Pakistan’s ambassador to the United States by Ms. Bhutto and then by Gen. Pervez Musharraf when he was Pakistan’s leader. “But he may lack authority in view of his checkered and controversial past.”
Indeed, Mr. Zardari, who is expected to be chosen in Saturday’s election by the Parliament and four provisional assemblies, is the unintended beneficiary of sweeping powers accumulated by President Musharraf, including the right to dismiss the army chief of staff and dissolve Parliament.

Mr. Zardari will now become the civilian official Washington relies on as it tries to persuade Pakistan to take a stronger stance against militants who are using the northern tribal areas as a sanctuary to attack American and NATO forces in Afghanistan. Despite their reservations, American officials prefer him to Mr. Sharif because they believe that Mr. Zardari’s Pakistan Peoples Party, more secular than Mr. Sharif’s Pakistan Muslim League-N, will be more likely to confront militants.

Mr. Zardari has displayed a sudden willingness to take on the Taliban, saying last week that he would ban them and freeze their assets, a starting point strongly favored by the State Department, though it would have limited practical impact.
“Zardari is a businessman,” said a Western diplomat. “He says to himself: ‘I know I need American support. What do they want? They want this,’ ” meaning a stance against the Taliban. :cheesy::enjoy:

Little Sway With Military

But as Mr. Zardari moved to the fore, some efforts to please Washington have exposed his uneasy relationship with the military, and Inter-Services Intelligence, the powerful spy agency he accused of assassinating his wife last December.
An effort to control the agency and impress the Bush administration failed in July. Washington has said that the agency is involved in sabotaging American interests by supporting the Taliban in the tribal region. Mr. Zardari and an Interior Ministry official directed that the agency report to the Interior Ministry; the military swiftly ordered that the notice be retracted.

“His first attempt to get control of the army and ISI was a total failure that showed a naïveté about how the army and the ISI work,” said Bruce Riedel, a member of the National Security Council in the Clinton administration who now advises the Obama campaign on Pakistan.

In five months as head of the governing coalition that collapsed after pushing Mr. Musharraf from power, Mr. Zardari filled important government posts with people he knew from jail and exile. He refused to reinstate the chief justice of the Supreme Court, Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, whom President Musharraf removed. His opponents charge that Mr. Zardari feared that Mr. Chaudhry might have reversed an amnesty that allowed Mr. Zardari’s corruption cases to be dropped.
Mr. Zardari was in jail from 1990 to 1993 after Ms. Bhutto’s first term and from 1996 to 2004 after her second term. He maintains that the corruption charges, and a murder charge, were politically motivated by forces trying to minimize his influence, and that he refused offers for early release from prison.

In Britain Mr. Zardari faced a civil case brought by the Pakistani government charging that he had paid for a country manor with ill-gotten gains. In order to win a delay in the British courts, Mr. Zardari filed affidavits in early 2006 from two doctors in New York saying he was mentally unable to assist his lawyers.

Mr. Zardari, then living at the Helmsley Carlton apartment block on 61st Street and Madison Avenue, who friends said appeared to be in good spirits, suffered from dementia, major depressive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, according to affidavits first reported by The Financial Times.

Acquittal and Amnesty

Pakistan’s high commissioner in London, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, who was recently appointed by Mr. Zardari and is a longtime friend, said Mr. Zardari was now healthy. Mr. Zardari was one of more than a dozen people accused of a conspiracy in 1996 to kill Ms. Bhutto’s brother, a political opponent of Mr. Zardari and Ms. Bhutto. The high court in Sindh Province, Mr. Zardari’s political base, acquitted him in the murder case in April.

Last week, a Swiss prosecutor dismissed a case in which Mr. Zardari and Ms. Bhutto were found guilty in 2003 on money laundering charges involving illegal commissions they had received from two Swiss companies, Cotecna and Société Générale de Surveillance. The court ordered them to return $12 million to the Pakistani government.

The Pakistani government dropped the charges this year, after Mr. Zardari and Ms. Bhutto had been offered an amnesty on their corruption charges. The Swiss authorities said that they could no longer pursue the case and that they would release $60 million of Mr. Zardari’s funds.
After the announcement in Geneva, Mr. Zardari told a Pakistani journalist, according to an account in the daily newspaper The News, that the original conviction in 2003 was the result of a bribe paid to the magistrate by the Pakistani government.
A report on private banking and money laundering in the United States, done for the Senate’s Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations in 1999, cited allegations that some of Mr. Zardari’s Citibank accounts were used to “disguise $10 million in kickbacks for a gold importing contract in Pakistan.” The report said that Mr. Zardari had accumulated $40 million in Citibank accounts. He denied the charges, and the head of the gold company identified in the report denied he had paid bribes.
Mr. Zardari’s position as head of state will be a giant leap from the days when he accompanied Ms. Bhutto on her official trips. In his autobiography, a former leader of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew, wrote that he found Mr. Zardari “a likable rogue” who tried to impress with chatter about his real estate and export deals.
Increasingly worried about his personal security, Mr. Zardari is now living at the prime minister’s house in Islamabad, the residence that he and Ms. Bhutto had designed during her tenure. Out back is the polo field built to indulge his passion for horses.:enjoy:
After the vote on Saturday, he will live in the presidential palace, a white marble edifice in the center of the capital, designed by Edward Durell Stone, the American architect of the Kennedy Center in Washington. :cool:
There, behind the tall colonnades and long corridors, according to a close associate, he will have achieved three things he most covets.

As president he will have, according to the Constitution, immunity from prosecution. He will enjoy top-notch security. And he will be provided with the rites of protocol that will allow him to appear on the world stage as a leader in his own right, and not just as the spouse of one.
:lol::cheesy:

@dr umer..

Yes, lets!

The people want judges restored, do it!

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom