What's new

Zainab Tari Soomro, Queen of Sindh

Tergon18

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
lila_chanesar.png_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.jpg

Zainab Tari Soomro (Sindhi: زينب تاري, Urdu: زينب تاری ‎) ruled as the Queen of Sindh (in modern-day Pakistan) for ten years from 1092 AD until 1102. She was the only queen who had ever ruled Sindh as an absolute ruler.

History
She was the daughter of the Soomra King Asamuddin Daula Dodo Soomro of the Soomra Dynasty, who ascended the throne of Sindh after the death of his father Asimuddin Bhoongar Soomro in 448 AH or 1064-65 AD with the title Dodo-I. Since no male issue followed her, the King appointed tutors for the Princess who trained her how to rule the Kingdom and defend it from the enemies that had sacked Mansura.

King Dodo-I ruled Sindh for 15 years. During this period of his rule a son was born to him whom he named Shahabuddin Sanghar. While Sanghar Soomro was still a minor, Dodo-I abdicated the throne in 1092 AD in favour of his daughter Zainab Tari, to live a retired life. Since the Prince Shahabuddin Sanghar was a minor, the Council of Ministers and Sardars unanimously followed the wishes of their Monarch and crowned Sanghar’s sister Princess Zainab Tari as the sovereign Queen of Sindh.

Queen Zainab Tari was a very brave and a wise queen. Her diplomacy was so successful that during her reign, neither any foreign armies invaded Sindh nor any internal conspiracies took place. Prosperity, peace and tranquillity prevailed throughout her domain.

The capital city Tharri expanded and prospered and being near the sea, trade with foreign countries flourished under her ten-year long rule.

Under her tutelage, her brother, Shahabuddin Sanghar grew up to be a fine youth excelled in the art of warfare etc. and became competent to rule the kingdom. Therefore after the tenth year of her rule, under rule of succession, she declared, Sanghar as the king of Sindh.
Consequently, Sanghar was crowned as the Sovereign King of Sindh and Queen Tari retired to lead a family life.

Soomro Kingdom on the map:
East-Hem_1000ad.jpg

Interestingly, she is also a playable character on popular 2012 PC grand strategy game Crusader Kings II as the Queen of Sindh.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II,

Her region as depicted in the game:

latest

Last edited:
Interesting, never heard of her before.

Cheers for sharing. Was actually compiling an article on her but you beat me to it. I have clocked several hundred hours into CKII, and personally too became aware of Zainab through this game.

Cheers for sharing. Was actually compiling an article on her but you beat me to it. I have clocked several hundred hours into CKII, and personally too became aware of Zainab through this game.

Thanks and please do post your article. This is in 'Sword of Islam' expansion, right?

Thanks and please do post your article. This is in 'Sword of Islam' expansion, right?

Her rule expanded into eastern Balochistan as well as some parts of southern Punjab, although Multan itself at this time was in the hands of the Ismaili Qarmatians.

20161013150807_1.jpg

Queen Zainab was a contemporary of Ibrahim Ghaznavi, grandson of the legendary Mahmud. The light green to the west of the Ghaznavids are the Seljuks.
20161013150907_1.jpg

A closeup of the provinces under Zainabs control.
20161013150931_1.jpg

Very interesting information.........actually she should be called first Muslim queen of India instead of Razia Sultana
Razia Sultana was just another loose character Mughal Queen like her male relatives who fell in love with a black slave guy. But we should seek inspiration from Hazrat Bibi Fathima R.A and the lady above mentioned.

No game has been so epic in its detail of history than Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis. I am in love with the map. As an independent student of history I have heard of the Soomra's and another Sindhi dynasty the Samna kingdom. Both were great kingdoms and are part of our Sindhi brothers rich history which needs to be both protected and promoted.

Back
Top Bottom