What's new

Your opinion on Pakistani expatriates? Is it really worth living abroad or outside of Pakistan?

Is it worth living outside of Pakistan?

• Yes, it is

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • No, better to stay in Pakistan

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Don't Know/No opinion

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that come to the west as teenagers or adults, perhaps it is the Hollywood effect. A kind of Fear of missing out. While those of us that grew up in the west, learned/were taught to ignore things that were Haram; so we never drank, ate pork, dated, etc. (I say this as I live next to 3 bars, a liquor store, a place that probably sells pot, all within two blocks)

Paris is the equivalent FOMO for many Americans.

There are pros and cons to living anywhere. But where you grew up is what you will probably feel is home the rest of your life. But home is also people. The people that you feel close with and are welcoming. Also, those of us the grew up in the west, practically lived our entire lives in the west, know how to function here. Could we function in Pakistan with the knowledge and experience we bring back? Does anyone want us to come back, or to just keep sending the money?

Look at the example of AQ Khan. He volunteered himself to serve the country he choose to become a citizen of, despite having a Dutch wife and two mixed race children.

This is a matter of national security for Pakistan. Over time, the older generation are passing away and many in the younger generation don’t want to maintain ties.

Remittances will drop unless this bond is kept alive. All the expatriates really ask for it a stable, well run country. No red carpet. That is probably why many expats like Imran Khan, a person that has lived the expat life. he gets it; it’s not about how much money you have but enjoying what you have where everyone is taken care of and able to enjoy a decent life with you. He cares about raising the nation to a higher standard of living is his priority, which he alluded to in his speak to Russian TV in a recent interview.

Here is the silver lining, if Pakistan can get its act together, economically and politically, the world bank predicted (a few years ago) Pakistan can become a $2 Trillion economy by 2047 (approx. avg. 7% annual growth for 25 years). This would make Pakistan, on a per capita basis at the level of Turkey or Malaysia. Two decent enough living standards, that I think most Pakistanis would be happy with. So as an aspirational metric of living standard; we should compare Pakistan to Turkey and Malaysia, and aim to catch up with them rather then a western country.

If the government focuses on good governance, the economy and outreach to the diaspora, the chances the bonds will be maintained will be a lot higher the they are now. Until then many would rather live a substandard life abroad then live in Pakistan. (Their are many definitions of sub-standard, but one is socially. Many people chase the “rat race”, and don’t give enough tike to family and friends. One can be materially well off but socially stunted)

P.s. gonna remove the video on Paris syndrome as not to detail the thread. But if interested search for “Is Paris Overrated?” By Nathaniel Drew
100%.

This is something people forget or don't realize. Expatriates never walked into luxury. Most of us came to the West and started from the bottom. Some of us made it to fairly high levels, while others have not. But in both cases, we've lived through hard times and we're fully willing to do it again provided the ones running the country are sincere and competent.

We'll pay that price to be sons of the soil over and over provided we get a real shot at success. However, our parents left the country because that shot was taken away from them the first time, so how can anyone expect it to be available the second or third time?

Sadly, the way the PPP government in Sindh treats Karachi is, for the most part, the way our establishment treats Pakistan as a whole. IK is individually good, but the underlying system is borked beyond belief.

Culture is not something you can lose easily. Ones own culture feels more important when living in a foreign culture.
No matter how much people try to adopt a foreign culture they are never accepted by foreigners and have to fall back to their own culture.

If you are thinking of people adopting a more liberal lifestyle in western countries then that happens in Pakistan too.
There is a reason many minorities live in diverse cities, but as opportunities bring them to small cities and towns, the likelihood that their children will inter-marry amongst the majority population of that new location becomes more likely. Especially if the kids grew up there. And slowly those kids and their kids will assume the culture of the majority population.

People have to make a conscious effort to maintain that bond with their original culture. This applies not only to Pakistanis but Italians or Irish or Latinos in the US.

Remember the story of Zarif Khan aka “Hot Tamale Louie” and the efforts he went to maintain that link to Pakistan.

What about Pakistani culture is abandoned by Pakistani expats?
Through each generation the cultures and traditions gets diluted more unless there are refills by frequent trips back to Pakistan. Some generations through deaths of their parents or other events lost connection completely and are isolated and stuck and only have the local values to adopt. But there are others who knowingly break connection with the Pakistani culture as they adore the the way of life of the local host nation.

Yea same I spoke Pashto growing up I learned Urdu on my own. Lots of Pakistani Pashtoons dont teach their kids Urdu they speak to them in Pashto only.
For many people, “back home” is just their family, extended family, or at most their city/town/region. Many don’t feel an affinity for the rest of Pakistan. Perhaps tourist places like Murree and the capital at most that that is probably it. This probably explains parents only teaching their kids their ancestral tongue rather then Urdu. my parents spoke to us in Urdu, while Seraki mostly came out for discipline :disagree:

For many people, “back home” is just their family, extended family, or at most their city/town/region. Many don’t feel an affinity for the rest of Pakistan. Perhaps tourist places like Murree and the capital at most that that is probably it. This probably explains parents only teaching their kids their ancestral tongue rather then Urdu. my parents spoke to us in Urdu, while Seraki mostly came out for discipline :disagree:

Most Pakistani Pashtoons who immigrate solely spoke to children in Pashto. The children of these people don't know any Urdu, speak only Pashto, or don't know either. The ones who do know Urdu spent time back in Pakistan or learned in on their own.

I learned Urdu on my own via dramas

don't a lot of kids of pakistani expatriates marry someone from pakistan ?

Most Pakistani Pashtoons who immigrate solely spoke to children in Pashto. The children of these people don't know any Urdu, speak only Pashto, or don't know either. The ones who do know Urdu spent time back in Pakistan or learned in on their own.

I learned Urdu on my own via dramas
Pakistan should have a program to allow teenagers, when they turn 18, to come to Pakistan on a state organized trip (state funded; considering the long term payoff), to visit and learn about the country. A couple weeks in the country will help young people learn about their roots and refresh that bond with their heritage.

An honest man in Pakistan will be chewed, swallowed, vomited, swallowed again and shat out of a hairy @sshole if they try doing any significant good. Some people can tolerate it, but most sharif people are traumatised and will leave the second they see a chance. Or they change themselves to fit the system.

And to fit in a rotten system, you have to become just as rotten as the system.

Pakistani expatriates will lose their religion and culture over next generations.

Right now , since they are minorities and Islamophobia is rampant , they are active in keeping the fervor of religion and their culture alive but I don't see their children or children's children and so on and so forth to keep up with the zeal. Just like most immigrants , they will only retain superficial attributes of their culture but would lose almost all of its core and fundamental principles.

Some of them don't really love Pakistan but do have strong affiliation with their ethnic identify. They only identify as Pashtun or sindhi and etc.
They either cling too hard to their culture and their kids resent them, or they go out of their way to westernise themselves and their kids follow them.

Drinking and sex? Is that common in Pakistan?

(Edit: when I say sex, I mean before marriage of course)

You don't have an idea. I even think that given how large Pakistan's population is we have more people doing drugs and having sex outside marriage than entire population of UK itself. Specially in cities like Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi even Iblis himself would be ashamed to see our Colleges and Universities lol.
And I say this as a student myself.

Pakistan should have a program to allow teenagers, when they turn 18, to come to Pakistan on a state organized trip (state funded; considering the long term payoff), to visit and learn about the country. A couple weeks in the country will help young people learn about their roots and refresh that bond with their heritage.

Advantage of Urdu is that its an easier language to learn because of the amount of mass media and material there is available.

Gov can't do much when people are like that. You should have learned this while living in a western country.
Western societies are not made by Governments.

Awaam controls Pakistan or Fauj controls Pakistan?

You don't have an idea. I even think that given how large Pakistan's population is we have more people doing drugs and having sex outside marriage than entire population of UK itself. Specially in cities like Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi even Iblis himself would be ashamed to see our Colleges and Universities lol.
And I say this as a student myself.
I guess that's not TOO bad as long as they keep it private to themselves... it's something which is difficult to control.

One thing I just really hope isn't normalised is that LGBT stuff man... that stuff ruins societies worse than anything else

lolz. Try getting seriously Sick in Pakistan in your Adulthood. or get tangled into a Legal metter that involves courts police or hell even try resolving any matter involving any Government institute.
All your preceptions about society , Patriotism and culture will change instantly.
Besides whatever expats sent back home to their families and valuable foreign exchange for Country. Without their contribution , This country will go bankrupt.

Pakistani expatriates will lose their religion and culture over next generations.

For name's/brand's sake they may "lose" otheriwse there's nothing Islamic about Pakistan or the pagan extensions of cultural practices prevalent among the South Asian muslim community- -------.

Be it marriage, funeral posession , or other social obligations this subcontinantal culture makes sure to rip you off thoroughly just for withstanding peer pressure if not strangulates you outright .

lolz. Try getting seriously Sick in Pakistan in your Adulthood. or get tangled into a Legal metter that involves courts police or hell even try resolving any matter involving any Government institute.
All your preceptions about society , Patriotism and culture will change instantly.
Besides whatever expats sent back home to their families and valuable foreign exchange for Country. Without their contribution , This country will go bankrupt.
All the more reason, re-enforcing the rule of law is so important to the future prospects of the country. Considering the rule party has Justice in its name, it should be one of their top priorities, and lasting legacy going into election season soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom