What's new

Your opinion on Pakistani expatriates? Is it really worth living abroad or outside of Pakistan?

Is it worth living outside of Pakistan?

• Yes, it is

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • No, better to stay in Pakistan

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Don't Know/No opinion

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea same I spoke Pashto growing up I learned Urdu on my own. Lots of Pakistani Pashtoons dont teach their kids Urdu they speak to them in Pashto only.
Now the thread had posed an interesting question, that was implied.

If you had to make a choice would you live in Pakistan or in a western country to live a better standard of living?

If you had to make a choice would you live in Pakistan or in a western country to live a better standard of living?
Every overseas Pakistani would probably say Pakistan, but it's just not viable considering the situation

Pakistan is being held together by a weak thread currently, the future is unstable, let alone actually progressing forward where westerners could return.

Obv Pakistan but Pakistan gov is incompetent so I don't see any future.
Gov can't do much when people are like that. You should have learned this while living in a western country.
Western societies are not made by Governments.

Its impossible for any sane person to live in such an intolerant Islamic society like Pakistan, add to it the failing economy and corruption. I don't see any future for this place

Obv Pakistan but Pakistan gov is incompetent so I don't see any future.
Yes indeed

I think first priority should be a revised national educational curriculum that is of western standard or better (in terms of quality), and try to give as many people access to it as possible across the country.

No positive future for the country with sub-par education, because it leads to incompetency.

Take India for example, from what I've seen they have pretty good schools, and it's evident, especially online. They can speak fluent English, converse clearly, and manipulate narratives very well.

I think first priority should be a revised national educational curriculum that is of western standard or better (in terms of quality), and try to give as many people access to it as possible.

No positive future for the country with sub-par education, because it leads to incompetency.
The curriculum and education needs a serious reform as soon as possible, the hate material taught to children in those textbooks are scary and corrupting to unsuspecting, young minds.

Its impossible for any sane person to live in such an intolerant Islamic society like Pakistan, add to it the failing economy and corruption. I don't see any future for this place

Yes indeed
Stupid post. Islam says to be tolerant.

I think first priority should be a revised national educational curriculum that is of western standard or better (in terms of quality), and try to give as many people access to it as possible across the country.

Take India for example, from what I've seen they have pretty good schools, and it's evident, especially online. They can speak fluent English, converse clearly, and manipulate narratives very well.
Also the Economy and standard of living needs to improve so people can be content with the condition of the country.

Also the Economy and standard of living needs to improve so people can be content with the condition of the country.
Economy and standard of living are a byproduct of your reforms.

I think what I mentioned up there is the single most important reform that can change the path of the country, and even bring about what you suggested. It's like a chain reaction.

Ok, I’ll be blunt, every overseas Pakistani prefers abroad than Pakistan. Why? Because you won’t get the same luxuries in Pakistan that you get here. Another thing is image. From my personal experience, I havent gone to Pakistan for over 14/15 years, I was only 7, before that I used to go every year atleast, why? Because of image, my mum ‘who’s British born’ was scared to send me Pakistan due to ‘bombings’ and that fear still exists today. Another reason is no one can trust the government or even the people, I want to buy a house In Pakistan in the near future (DHA), but everyone in my family advices me not to do so due to the so called housing mafia, telling me stories that people go for a while and suddenly their houses are gone, even recent news of family members killing other family members over a house. Some may be true, but it’s really over exaggerated. 1st and 2nd generation oversea Pakistanis would love to come back, if the situation improves in Pakistan, but as time goes on, more and more overseas Pakistani's will be disconnected with their background, and it’s already happening, I’m seeing it myself, I’m the only child who can speak Urdu, my brothers can only understand, when the time comes they won’t speak to their kids in Urdu, and it’ll just carry on down the line, and if one can not speak the language it brings a huge barrier between them and their background.

Ok, I’ll be blunt, every overseas Pakistani prefers abroad than Pakistan. Why? Because you won’t get the same luxuries in Pakistan that you get here. Another thing is image. From my personal experience, I havent gone to Pakistan for over 14/15 years, I was only 7, before that I used to go every year atleast, why? Because of image, my mum ‘who’s British born’ was scared to send me Pakistan due to ‘bombings’ and that fear still exists today. Another reason is no one can trust the government or even the people, I want to buy a house In Pakistan in the near future (DHA), but everyone in my family advices me not to do so due to the so called housing mafia, telling me stories that people go for a while and suddenly their houses are gone, even recent news of family members killing other family members over a house. Some may be true, but it’s really over exaggerated. 1st and 2nd generation oversea Pakistanis would love to come back, if the situation improves in Pakistan, but as time goes on, more and more overseas Pakistani's will be disconnected with their background, and it’s already happening, I’m seeing it myself, I’m the only child who can speak Urdu, my brothers can only understand, when the time comes they won’t speak to their kids in Urdu, and it’ll just carry on down the line, and if one can not speak the language it brings a huge barrier between them and their background.
My family is very Pakistan oriented. But I am not surprised by your last three sentences. Yes, that is a risk the parents are willing to take while going to places like Europe or North America.

A family friend who was a Chemistry professor in a Saudi university, his name was Zafar Iqbal. He said he would never leave Pakistan, no matter the situation.

People need to rise up against the injustices the previous corrupt governments have done.

Even China and Japan do not allow dual nationality.

Not surprisingly, because for them their motherland comes first!

Another reason is no one can trust the government or even the people, I want to buy a house In Pakistan in the near future (DHA), but everyone in my family advices me not to do so due to the so called housing mafia, telling me stories that people go for a while and suddenly their houses are gone.
DHA houses are extremely expensive, its not worth it considering the military or local corrupt politicians can occupy it anytime they want to and take the land for themselves. Personally, it just wouldn't feel right living such a privileged high class lifestyle in a DHA whilst the average Pakistani suffers from crushing inflation and other problems.

If Pakistan became 1st world developed, I would relocate instantly. Weather is hot, can build a huge villa with a pool. It would be a better quality of life.
Yes like Japan or Taiwan as I mentioned earlier.

LOL! So far most people voted Yes.

As for the guy about Pakistanis in Pakistan. That is because they take Pakistan for granted.
Once they leave Pakistan, "Then you see the real world."

As for immorality in Pakistan, personally I believe there is good and bad everywhere.
For those that come to the west as teenagers or adults, perhaps it is the Hollywood effect. A kind of Fear of missing out. While those of us that grew up in the west, learned/were taught to ignore things that were Haram; so we never drank, ate pork, dated, etc. (I say this as I live next to 3 bars, a liquor store, a place that probably sells pot, all within two blocks)

Paris is the equivalent FOMO for many Americans.

There are pros and cons to living anywhere. But where you grew up is what you will probably feel is home the rest of your life. But home is also people. The people that you feel close with and are welcoming. Also, those of us the grew up in the west, practically lived our entire lives in the west, know how to function here. Could we function in Pakistan with the knowledge and experience we bring back? Does anyone want us to come back, or to just keep sending the money?

Look at the example of AQ Khan. He volunteered himself to serve the country he choose to become a citizen of, despite having a Dutch wife and two mixed race children.

This is a matter of national security for Pakistan. Over time, the older generation are passing away and many in the younger generation don’t want to maintain ties.

Remittances will drop unless this bond is kept alive. All the expatriates really ask for it a stable, well run country. No red carpet. That is probably why many expats like Imran Khan, a person that has lived the expat life. he gets it; it’s not about how much money you have but enjoying what you have where everyone is taken care of and able to enjoy a decent life with you. He cares about raising the nation to a higher standard of living is his priority, which he alluded to in his speak to Russian TV in a recent interview.

Here is the silver lining, if Pakistan can get its act together, economically and politically, the world bank predicted (a few years ago) Pakistan can become a $2 Trillion economy by 2047 (approx. avg. 7% annual growth for 25 years). This would make Pakistan, on a per capita basis at the level of Turkey or Malaysia. Two decent enough living standards, that I think most Pakistanis would be happy with. So as an aspirational metric of living standard; we should compare Pakistan to Turkey and Malaysia, and aim to catch up with them rather then a western or East Asian country.

If the government focuses on good governance, the economy and outreach to the diaspora, the chances the bonds will be maintained will be a lot higher the they are now. Until then many would rather live a substandard life abroad then live in Pakistan. (Their are many definitions of sub-standard, but one is socially. Many people chase the “rat race”, and don’t give enough tike to family and friends. One can be materially well off but socially stunted)

P.s. gonna remove the video on Paris syndrome as not to detail the thread. But if interested search for “Is Paris Overrated?” By Nathaniel Drew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom