What's new

Worrying aspects about Imran Khan's campaign

Why are you so scared? Iran is also Afghanistan's immediate neighbour. They have remained out of this war OF terror. Why get ourselves involved and make so many sacrafices which is not in Pakistan's interests in the first place. Extremism and terrorism has grown since Pakistan involved itself in this war OF terror.

Dont be scared of America. Republican or Democrat every political party in U.S. has become anti-pakistan and anti-iran. They cant afford another war so they will just talk. Pakistan needs a lion like Ahmedinejad, not small pet cats like Zardari and Nawaz.

Ahmedinejad sleeps on the groud and even when U.S. placed sanction on Iran he put his country before anything else. Imran Khan is similar. Imran Khan slept in the streets trying to stop drone attacks. Pakistan will never find any political leader like him.

Pakistan doesn't want to be seen siding with terrorists/extremists, they will not only make Pakistan unstable, but they will also result in the isolation of Pakistan worldwide, including friendly nations like China, Turkey etc. The economic & political ramifications would be too great, so instead of a hot headed approach of getting back at the US, we need to think this through better. I agree that the costs of the WOT have been too high, but siding with terrorists/extremists is never an option.

@bilal: China, Russia, Iran, and Pakistan all want U.S. to leave the region. This is a fact. So if U.S. pressures Pakistan to fight Haqqanis and Afghan Taliban, and Pakistan says no. These countries will not break ties with Pakistan. Turkey also wont break ties with Pakistan because Pakistan-Turkey brotherly ties are historic, much older than U.S.-Turkish relations. Pakistan will have to speak to the world why we can not involve ourselves in America's war anymore. The UN platform takes Pakistan more seriously than Iran or Libya. Pakistan is good in communication and English skills and should communicate with the western world. The ordinary people in the west are also against U.S. policies in Afghanistan.

As for the case with TTP, they are in their weakest state and Pakistan Army and ISI will keep an eye on them regardless who comes into civilian government.

@bilal: China, Russia, Iran, and Pakistan all want U.S. to leave the region. This is a fact. So if U.S. pressures Pakistan to fight Haqqanis and Afghan Taliban, and Pakistan says no. These countries will not break ties with Pakistan. Turkey also wont break ties with Pakistan because Pakistan-Turkey brotherly ties are historic, much older than U.S.-Turkish relations. Pakistan will have to speak to the world why we can not involve ourselves in America's war anymore. The UN platform takes Pakistan more seriously than Iran or Libya. Pakistan is good in communication and English skills and should communicate with the western world. The ordinary people in the west are also against U.S. policies in Afghanistan.

As for the case with TTP, they are in their weaker state and Pakistan Army and ISI will keep an eye on them regardless who comes into civilian government.

Yes, they all want the US to leave the region. But there are many groups that are fighting Pakistan, & even if Pakistan stops fighting them, they will not stop until they overthrow the regime & install their form of Shariah. With peace deals with these groups, they will recruit AQ & other fighters into Pakistan, & these AQ fighters will operate freely from Pakistan, within Pakistan & outside Pakistan. Every attack that is traced back to Pakistan will further isolate Pakistan, even with friendly nations like China & Turkey.

Imran Khan not only wants to make peace with the TTP, but with everyone in FATA & Balochistan. That includes Al-Qaeda & LeJ terrorists as well. Imran Khan simply does not support a military engagement anywhere in Pakistan. He believes 'peace' is the way to go with bad people, not military engagement. If Pakistan makes 'peace' with the LeJ or the TTP, it will face the consequences in the long run.

Actually, it is this bombing campaign which is hostage to neighboring countries since the terrorists simply run off to Afghanistan and come back to fight another day. If it was simply a matter of carpet bombing NW to solve the problem, the Pak army would have done that a long time ago. In other words, the situation is a lot more complex, and IK and the army understand the ground realities better than the Americans.

I also don't see him surrendering to the shariah crowd; he is trying to get people to debate the matter with words instead of bullets. What IK is saying is to neutralize the terrorists major recruiting pitch by removing the perception that Pakistan is killing its own people to satisfy America. Of course there will be hardcore terrorists who are beyond reason, and those must be killed. This is precisely the strategy that America has finally acknowledged after all these years.

I agree that 'peace' should not make us complacent and let them spread their ideology. Law and order needs remain paramount.

Yes, they all want the US to leave the region. But there are many groups that are fighting Pakistan, & even if Pakistan stops fighting them, they will not stop until they overthrow the regime & install their form of Shariah. With peace deals with these groups, they will recruit AQ & other fighters into Pakistan, & these AQ fighters will operate freely from Pakistan, within Pakistan & outside Pakistan. Every attack that is traced back to Pakistan will further isolate Pakistan, even with friendly nations like China & Turkey.

Imran Khan not only wants to make peace with the TTP, but with everyone in FATA & Balochistan. That includes Al-Qaeda terrorists as well. Imran Khan simply does not support a military engagement anywhere in Pakistan. He believes 'peace' is the way to go with bad people, not military engagement. If Pakistan makes 'peace' with the LeJ, it will face the consequences in the long run.

Imran Khan doesnt support miliary operations on the people of Pakistan, but that doesnt mean he will turn Pakistan into Afghanistan.

He already said numerous times that Al Qaeada and Taliban were in Afghanistan before 2001 and we had no problem with them. Al Qaeda is also in its weakest state like TTP.

Protecting borders is very important, and sending these terrorists back to where they belong is very important. There can be some ways we can send all these people back to Afghanistan and let Afghanistan take care of them like before 2001.

As for Balochistan, once U.S. and India leave Afghanistan, problems will be solved in Balochistan.

Imran Khan is a 'nationalist'
we may or may not agree with his views esp. on the WoT. having said that, what IK wants is that the nation should 'decide'' what is 'good' and what is 'bad' for it. IK does not want the country to be 'dictated' by others (in our case the US).

Actually, it is this bombing campaign which is hostage to neighboring countries since the terrorists simply run off to Afghanistan and come back to fight another day. If it was simply a matter of carpet bombing NW to solve the problem, the Pak army would have done that a long time ago. In other words, the situation is a lot more complex, and IK and the army understand the ground realities better than the Americans.

I also don't see him surrendering to the shariah crowd; he is trying to get people to debate the matter with words instead of bullets. What IK is saying is to neutralize the terrorists major recruiting pitch by removing the perception that Pakistan is killing its own people to satisfy America. Of course there will be hardcore terrorists who are beyond reason, and those must be killed. This is precisely the strategy that America has finally acknowledged after all these years.

I agree with a peaceful resolution as well, only if the terrorists surrender & disarm. If they don't do they, they will be destroyed by the Pakistan Army & the drones, it's as simple as that.

Imran Khan has explicitly said he sees no military role for the Pakistan Army in FATA or Balochistan. While I agree with him on some levels in Balochistan, the situation in FATA is more complex. He thinks the tribals can take care of themselves against the terrorists. We've seen what happened with the Turis in Kurram, & other examples. That won't be enough to defeat terrorism. Making peace with the TTP or LeJ is like handing them over your guns, & asking them not to shoot you. They will shoot you. The Al-Qaeda & other affiliate groups will also use Pakistani territory to launch attacks worldwide & inside Pakistan, & that worries me. Every attack traced back to Pakistan damages it excessively, & isolates it further in the eyes of the world community.

All I'm asking for is a statement from Imran Khan condemning the actions of terrorists inside Pakistan, & emphasizing on the threat they pose to Pakistan. From my knowledge, he has never raised any of these issues. His whole campaign undermines the efforts of Pakistan in the war on terror. He talks about the US & its failed policies in the region, I am one of the strongest critics of US policies in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region, but I am also aware of the threat that these militant groups pose to Pakistan, & that stopping the drone program & making 'peace' with them will not solve Pakistan's militancy problems. While violence in certain sections of Pakistan might decrease, the terrorists will tighten their grip on various parts of Pakistan, & will simply use Pakistan as their launching pad to attack other nations, & every attack traced back to Pakistan damages its credibility in the eyes of the world, & isolates it worldwide, even in the eyes of friendly nations like China & Turkey.

He thinks the tribals can take care of themselves against the terrorists.

From what I heard, he is saying the tribals are being pushed into their arms by bombings and that we should neutralize this recruiting tool.

The basic issues are:
- where do the tribals sit? what percent of them are on which side?
- no solution will work anyway with porous borders: even if the terrorists disarm, they will just rearm if needed.

From what I heard, he is saying the tribals are being pushed into their arms by bombings and that we should neutralize this recruiting tool.

The basic issues are:
- where do the tribals sit? what percent of them are on which side?
- no solution will work anyway with porous borders: even if the terrorists disarm, they will just rearm if needed.

I think it is evidently clear, if you follow up in detail with the events that are transpiring, that the Pakistani tribals overwhelmingly support the Pakistan military in their operations against the terrorists. The terrorists (especially the international Uzbek, Arab terrorists) have disrespected the locals & their local culture, & committed the gravest (according to local culture) crimes by killing tribal elders in jirgas. They have killed innocent people praying in mosques on Eid day, as well as killing other innocent civilians. The tribals have formed Lashkars to fight the terrorists alongside the Pakistan military.

There was huge hatred expressed by the tribals for the drone strikes 2-3 years ago, when many drones killed innocent civilians. This is not the case now. These drones are high precision, highly accurate, & kill terrorists almost all of the time. There are detailed statistics on this subject as well, supported by detailed local media reports of the people that are killed. There has been an increased number of 'signature' strikes, & more infrequent 'personality' strikes in North/South Waziristan. This needs to be changed, & there should be lesser 'signature' strikes.

As an outsider, I see Mushraff as the only leader with the courage to take on Pakistan's challenges . Imran Khan seems kinda shallow.

Musharraf had his chance. What did he do ? He sold his soul to the Chaudhary brothers ( the devils ) the most corrupt politicians in Pakistan. We need a change with some new blood. We don't need same old tried and tested thieves.

I think it is evidently clear, if you follow up in detail with the events that are transpiring, that the Pakistani tribals overwhelmingly support the Pakistan military in their operations against the terrorists. The terrorists (especially the international Uzbek, Arab terrorists) have disrespected the locals & their local culture, & committed the gravest (according to local culture) crimes by killing tribal elders in jirgas. They have killed innocent people praying in mosques on Eid day, as well as killing other innocent civilians. The tribals have formed Lashkars to fight the terrorists alongside the Pakistan military.

There was huge hatred expressed by the tribals for the drone strikes 2-3 years ago, when many drones killed innocent civilians. This is not the case now. These drones are high precision, highly accurate, & kill terrorists almost all of the time. There are detailed statistics on this subject as well, supported by detailed local media reports of the people that are killed. There has been an increased number of 'signature' strikes, & more infrequent 'personality' strikes in North/South Waziristan. This needs to be changed, & there should be lesser 'signature' strikes.

BBC News - Pakistan: Calls for revenge after US drones kill 40

If something like this happened in any Western country, they would also suspend drone strikes, regardless of 'detailed statistics'.

We have to start respecting the rights of our citizens. The US doesn't care if a few locals get killed here and there; we do. We must.

I am not saying that civilians are not killed in strikes now. They are. But the majority of the people killed nowadays in drone strikes are terrorists. I want drone strikes in Pakistan to end. But I also want the terrorist groups that are making life a living hell for the people in FATA, & the rest of Pakistan to be eliminated as well.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

BBC News - Pakistan: Calls for revenge after US drones kill 40

If something like this happened in any Western country, they would also suspend drone strikes, regardless of 'detailed statistics'.

This was one of the occasions this year, when indeed civilians were killed. I am sure you remember Kayani's statement right after that as well, which lead to frosty Pakistan-US relations for the coming months:

Gen Kayani condemns US drone strike in NW | | DAWN.COM

Pakistan army chief condemns drone attack that killed 38 people | World news | The Guardian

Do I like the US violating our sovereignty? No. Do I like it when the US drone strikes kill innocent civilians? No. I want the drone strikes to end as quickly as possible. But let's not be foolhardy in thinking abandoning drone strikes will end violence in Pakistan. They won't. The terrorists have killed many many more civilians than drone strikes have. All I am looking for is Imran Khan accepting this fact.

Imran Khan's approach is to kill the drug lords and the major dealers, but rehabilitate the junkies. This is more mature than the the US approach, which is to carpet bomb everyone with a needle.

"Carpet bomb? If the USA wanted to "carpet bomb" there would be thousands and thousands of "innocents" killed in FATA, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and even Karachi. No, the USA's drone strike effort is exactly what you have said that Khan would do with drug lords. There is no need to bring in specious anti-American arguments to make your points about IK.

Back
Top Bottom