What's new

world cup 2011

biggest sufferer from these sad incidents will be the cricket fans

Besides the fans, .. we ALL are suferers.

Today we have reached a stage in S Asia that we all live under a shadow. Parents / family members call each other 2-3 times a day just to re assure themselves that all is well. It is worse for those who travel.

Is this how we wish to live.. & for how long ? What are we collectively doing to stem the rot in our lives ?

Blaming each other & seeing each other squirm may give us temp ' cheap thrills' but who is the ultimate loser..us all.

Besides the fans, .. we ALL are suferers.

Today we have reached a stage in S Asia that we all live under a shadow. Parents / family members call each other 2-3 times a day just to re assure themselves that all is well. It is worse for those who travel.

Is this how we wish to live.. & for how long ? What are we collectively doing to stem the rot in our lives ?

Blaming each other & seeing each other squirm may give us temp ' cheap thrills' but who is the ultimate loser..us all.

absolutely I agree with you

as sad as it is violence is so common people forget about it and life just moves on in the country as normal.Heres hoping for a peaceful world cup :cheers:

Well my friend, Pakistan's cricket is literally over...Teams wont come here and they'll not invite us into their own countries...So better start cheering for Football!

That would be a great thing. Pakistan needs to diversify its sporting talent.

Well my friend, Pakistan's cricket is literally over...Teams wont come here and they'll not invite us into their own countries...So better start cheering for Football!

Is foorball terrorism proof?? 3/3 attacks will not only affect cricket, it will affect all sports games, investors and other companies working in pakistan!!

Is foorball terrorism proof?? 3/3 attacks will not only affect cricket, it will affect all sports games, investors and other companies working in pakistan!!

lol, Brother I meant Euorpeon league and stuff....on TV.

australia and newzealand are most probable to host 2011 world cup

Why?

We still have India,Bangladesh an Sri Lanka,why will Aussies host?

I also feel after this incident,Pakistan's chance of hosting is in big doubt.Even if it hosts,then there will be walkouts,which can't happen during semifinals and finals.

Condolences to the Policemen,who gave their lives to save Pakistan from even worse embarrassment.

My Favourite Player was Zinedine zidane i loved how he played.

India should host it all alone or else it would be similar to the previous world cup in S Asia, teams skipping matches.

Dont worry, BCCI will do the magic. Afterall Sharad Pawar will be chairing the boards meeting.

MELBOURNE (March 05 2009): Australia would be ready to host matches in the 2011 World Cup following the attack on the Sri Lankan team in Pakistan, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said Wednesday. But he stressed that he would prefer the tournament to go ahead as planned in Pakistan, as well as India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) cast doubt Tuesday on Pakistan's hopes of remaining a co-host of the four-yearly event, saying the Lahore attacks had changed the global landscape of the game. "Officially, we are the standby hosts for the 2011 World Cup - our strong preference is for the event to go ahead in Asia, hosted by the countries that the ICC sees fit," Sutherland was quoted as saying by Australian Associated Press.

"We're the hosts for 2015 and we're confident we can put on a fantastic event... but we want the appropriate lead time into that event because of all the planning considerations necessary for it." New Zealand are also standby hosts for the 2011 World Cup. The ICC's board will discuss the fallout from the Lahore ambush - which killed eight people and left seven Sri Lankan cricketers wounded - and the consequences for the World Cup at a meeting in Dubai next month.

4 March, 2009

NEW DELHI: India is ready to host extra matches in the 2011 World Cup if Pakistan lose staging rights in the wake of the attack on the Sri Lankan team, the head of the Indian cricket board said on Wednesday.“The issue would come up at the International Cricket Council (ICC) meeting where it would be discussed among all the members,” Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Shashank Manohar told reporters from Nagpur.

“India is willing. There is no problem.”

Pakistan’s hopes of jointly staging the World Cup with India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka appear bleak after gunmen attacked the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore on Tuesday, injuring six players and killing seven Pakistanis.

Even before the incident, security fears in Pakistan forced the ICC to first postpone and then move the Champions Trophy, now scheduled for later this year.

Manohar said he had not spoken to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials since the attack, which has shaken confidence in sporting events in the Indian sub-continent, but felt the prospects of that country staging World Cup matches were slim.

“I haven’t spoken to them, (but) it could be tough for them.”

ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat told a news conference in London on Tuesday it was difficult to see international cricket being played in Pakistan for the foreseeable future.

Pakistan are scheduled to stage 14 World Cup matches and India 22. Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are due to host nine and six games respectively.

ICC vice-president Sharad Pawar has asked the ruling body’s president David Morgan to call a meeting of cricket board chiefs to discuss the situation.

“In the next 8 to 10 days the schedule for the meeting will be known,” Pawar told media persons.

The ICC have already asked the World Cup hosts to pick alternate venues within or outside their country if security issues crop up.

Pakistan have been asked to play international matches in neutral venues following the attack.

BCCI officials are due to meet in Mumbai on Friday to discuss the developments, a senior cricket official said.

Back
Top Bottom