What's new

world cup 2011

An extremly valid point made by raheel - that terrorist were not successful for what they wanted to do. It would have been horrible if any of player was dead. At least now they get sympathy from rest of the world and srilanka specially. If players were dead it would have infuriated the world against pakistan.

NZ and Indian teams don black arm bands

From correspondents in Napier, New Zealand

Agence France-Presse

March 03, 2009 06:48pm

THE New Zealand and Indian teams donned black arm bands midway through their one-day cricket match today as a mark of respect for the Sri Lankan cricketers wounded in Pakistan.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key condemned the attack, in which six of Sri Lanka's team were injured when gunmen targeted their bus as they headed to Gadaffi Stadium in Lahore to play a Test against Pakistan.

"I condemn this despicable terrorist act. I am sure all New Zealanders will be outraged, as I am, at hearing this news,'' Mr Key said.

"I am very concerned at this turn of events, where an international sports team has been targeted by terrorists.''

The New Zealand and Indian cricketers were informed of the shooting during the innings break in Napier, New Zealand, in the first of their five ODI matches, and put the arm bands on before play resumed.

Kiss the 2011 world cup good-bye (matches in pakistan)

australia and newzealand are most probable to host 2011 world cup

I would say it will be australia to host world cup, but Un fortunatly I think it will also hit on other sports in pakistan -as well.

Lol. I agree, but twhen national prestige is at stake, nothing is left short.

World Cup has already been decided to be hosted in the subcontinent. Look at the subcontinent and you see a ring of fire around India. Most countries will agree to tour India but not Bangladesh, Pakistan and Srilanka. Its different when India says we'll gaurantee you security. Remember the security cover in delhi when olympic torch came? Im not saying they are similar but I think we follow up on what we speak.

Well i dont think we shouldnt be too overly confident about it. Lets be cautious, if it happend in pakistan it can happen else where too. So lets hope it doesnt happen anywhere and takes extraorinary security measures and very soon pakistan identifies and bring these perpetrators to the books so that the sub-continent can regain some credibility..!!!

There are no doubts. World cup is gone! Or will probably be held only in India and Bangladesh. But Pakistan is out of hosting. THanks to all the terrorists holding your country hostage and your peace initiatives with terrorists.

How can u say that Pakistan is out of hosting ..cant u c the Mumbai attack ..?Everyone knows in the world that who can do attack nd indeed every1 knows whos bhind the Mumbai attack..
i hope that Srilanka will understand soon ..jus waiting for future:pakistan:

i hope srilankans will i hope our government will do what ever it has to do

March 3, 2009

Posted by Kamran Abbasi at 7:29 AM

This is the end

The darkest day in Pakistan's cricket history © AFP

Today's attack on Sri Lanka's cricketers is a despicable act, a coward's agenda. Nobody should lose their life over a game of cricket, and no sportsman, official, or spectator should be injured in pursuit of the game they love.

The sole purpose of this barbaric act is a craving for the oxygen of publicity. There can be little political or strategic mileage to be gained by an attack on sportsmen. Indeed, we can only hope that such mindless violence will deeply damage the cause of the perpetrators, and precipitate their rapid downfall.

Brave Sri Lanka did not deserve this insult, and all sympathies are with their players and the officials who have been injured. Questions will inevitably be asked about the security arrangements, despite the regrettable deaths of several policemen. How could such a high profile tour have been allowed to have been ruined in this way? What do Pakistani security guarantees count for?

The least of the consequences of this disaster is that those who have advocated the continuation of international cricket in Pakistan - including me - have been proved wrong. No international team will now visit Pakistan, and the Pakistan Cricket Board should voluntarily arrange all future tours at neutral venues for the next year, may be longer.

This the darkest day in the history of Pakistan cricket and it occurred in a pleasant suburb of Lahore, a once great city of gardens and tranquility, not far from my own family home in Pakistan.

This is the end.

I hope its not the end for pakistan cricket, Pakistani part in cricket is really big.
People like me in India have grown up trying to emulate wasim akram and Imran khan
while running to cricket pitch.
Pakistan had given lot to cricket. May be- This time cricket has to offer something to Pakistan?

I have a feeling it will not be in south asia now definetly not in pakistan don't think in india either after the mumbai attacks i thought it could have been bangladesh the strongest contender but now after the damage done by the army mutiny i doubt it'll be held there either .Most probably in completely different neutral place like australia or new zealand.
It has not been a good time for the sub-continent :(

I have a feeling it will not be in south asia now definetly not in pakistan don't think in india either after the mumbai attacks i thought it could have been bangladesh the strongest contender but now after the damage done by the army mutiny i doubt it'll be held there either .Most probably in completely different neutral place like australia or new zealand.
It has not been a good time for the sub-continent :(

You are right. We are going thru troubled times. thing will possibly get worse before they get better.

At this point it really does not matter where / who hosts the world cup. Our cup of woe is overflowing..In any case S asia is out of the running.

biggest sufferer from these sad incidents will be the cricket fans

Well my friend, Pakistan's cricket is literally over...Teams wont come here and they'll not invite us into their own countries...So better start cheering for Football!

Back
Top Bottom