What's new

World Bank approves $12 billion, five-year loan for Pakistan: Ishaq Dar

Just looking at the comments, one wonders if most of the people have actually READ the article?

Countries just love WB loans - they are the best.

Yes we will pay them all back. Pakistan being in midst of an energy crunch really needs this money. This loan could mean at least 1% growth in our economy. Anyone care to calculate that number?

Extreme pessimists will have to eat their words a few years down the road. IA, I shall remember this thread and remind all the extremists of their words.

WB loan is like a vote of confidence. It means that we are expected to do well - and we shall.

All you haters need to put up something solid and fact-based before anyone can give you the time of day.

PDF can be such a load of xyz at times.
I have no prob taking loans...My question was concerning how do we pay back...we seem to be accumulating alot and yet the loadshedding is the same :unsure:

if PML N privitize all govt insitutes even at scrap value (provided they keep on running) they will save 5 billion dollars annually.
if they build dams even at 100% low interest loan, the bahash dam has a DIRECT ERR of 3.8yrs (return rate) so that 100% loan can be repaid in 8 years with interest.
or if they allow private sector to develop dams.
the problem with us is that we want angels nothing less, i dont care how corrupt the govt is because inefficiency hurt more than corruption. e.g even if the PTI/PPPP leaders are saints but IF they refuse to privatize institutes and plug in losses of 5 billion dollars annually which is equal to whole education budget than its disaster for Pakistan

we should learn for USA, where everything is privatized and regulated
regulated specific loans for high ERR project is a true blessing for pakistan trust me, look at tarbela dam for instance..
pakistan is one of very few countries in world with immense hydro potential probably more precious than gas or oil if properly utilized
inshort its not the corruption that matters MORE but govt polices, look at india and china they are as corrupt as we are...
They may be corrupt but at least they let the nation grow enough to hide it!

I have no prob taking loans...My question was concerning how do we pay back...we seem to be accumulating alot and yet the loadshedding is the same :unsure:

While the government is forced to continue subsidy for electric utility (y'know combination of expensive generation and low rates), there can be no end to load-shedding. We have capacity to produce more, via old inefficient and doubly expensive thermal electricity generation plants, we are caught between loadshedding and circular debt. So, sure we can use this money to get rid of circular debt and go ahead and generate expensive electric units, but that would kill the purpose of taking these loans.

Loans are not magic wands in themselves. They do not solve any problem by themselves. You are a person of high education, so why can you not appreciate the fact that developing infrastructure takes time? We can commission coal-fired plants in about a year's time from receipt of machinery at Karachi port - and that is the fastest we can move for cheaper electric generation. It would take at least a year and a half to see the impact of spending on developing electricity generation infrastructure.

Meanwhile feel free to make tind jokes and let us know how you hate politicians and other such miscellaneous stuff that you do so well. Good time pass hai, likes bhi mil jati hain, adat bhi ho gai hai, waghaira.....

So after a couple of years when we DO start seeing impact from spending on infrastructure, I could dig this thread up and show you the needlessness of impatience and general cribbing one can see on this thread from various people. Who knows, maybe someone would learn the virtues of putting things in perspective, & practicing a bit of patience.

While the government is forced to continue subsidy for electric utility (y'know combination of expensive generation and low rates), there can be no end to load-shedding. We have capacity to produce more, via old inefficient and doubly expensive thermal electricity generation plants, we are caught between loadshedding and circular debt. So, sure we can use this money to get rid of circular debt and go ahead and generate expensive electric units, but that would kill the purpose of taking these loans.

Loans are not magic wands in themselves. They do not solve any problem by themselves. You are a person of high education, so why can you not appreciate the fact that developing infrastructure takes time? We can commission coal-fired plants in about a year's time from receipt of machinery at Karachi port - and that is the fastest we can move for cheaper electric generation. It would take at least a year and a half to see the impact of spending on developing electricity generation infrastructure.

Meanwhile feel free to make tind jokes and let us know how you hate politicians and other such miscellaneous stuff that you do so well. Good time pass hai, likes bhi mil jati hain, adat bhi ho gai hai, waghaira.....

So after a couple of years when we DO start seeing impact from spending on infrastructure, I could dig this thread up and show you the needlessness of impatience and general cribbing one can see on this thread from various people. Who knows, maybe someone would learn the virtues of putting things in perspective, & practicing a bit of patience.
It would take between 3-5 years for the difference in infrastructure to start becoming visible. You are being too optimistic there.

I think Nawaz is taking all the right steps and making all the right noises. And the difference would be visible in that time period. I dont understand why some Pakistani's expect overnight miracles and start criticizing when they don't get those.

There will be a substantial electricity relief in 3 years by all estimates going by Nawaz's current path progress.

I think Nawaz is taking all the right steps and making all the right noises. And the difference would be visible in that time period. I dont understand why some Pakistani's expect overnight miracles and start criticizing when they don't get those.

Actually, Most of these haters here in PDF knows Pakistan moving on the right side under this Civillian PMLN Govt.........and that's the main problem for them in the longer run:coffee:

It would take between 3-5 years for the difference in infrastructure to start becoming visible. You are being too optimistic there.

There will be a substantial electricity relief in 3 years by all estimates going by Nawaz's current path progress.

Bhai, pls note I said that we would start to see the results in two years. Infrastructure development is an ever-continuing process, with no goals to achieve as such, but milestones to pass.

PS> Also it would be 2016, and PML-N government would have been in government for 3 years. By the end of 2016 we would have Chashma III & IV, Neelum-Jhelum, & a few coal-fire plants in operation.

Last edited:

No one is asking for overnight miracles....But a ganja who had made a fake promise to bank in votes to the poor sounded confident that he will finish loadshedding in 3mths..we know its a lie but to make such statements he must have had a plan...and when he was in govt last time he didnt "notice" the problems so I want to know has he woken up or is he back in his old game? Since you dont live in Pakistan you dont know what these idiots have done! I dont blame 1 but I want a guarantee that they are walking on the correct road...so far all I see is for them to sign loans and business deals....

Yes those loans will take time to show their worth but....that the amount of loans, the repeated loans is worrying, is anyone even taking note of how much we have taken? What about paying back + interest? With no electricity, signing business deals seems stupid...esp when we will for sure fail to meet the quota...it will give a bad name to our businesses!

@Chak Bamu

So it is obvious NS govt lied to bank in votes...Coz they actually said something else...How do you expect a population to believe in liars?

I make Tind, Zardari, Altaf and I did mind what Imran did and dont even start with the Mullahs but of course each party supporter only sees their party being made fun off....seems like they have a keen eye on their party only...
Isnt this patience what the awam is doing for almost a decade now? I seriously cant believe its been forever since loadshedding ka maslah is going on! I have every right to criticize a liar...Had he not lied no one would have criticized him! Its his own doing...

Its not much we can do but openly criticize ghunday that we do not agree with them and we are not in the same boat...If they do good I do appreciate their doings because I am for Pakistan not for some freaking party or its supporters!

Actually, Most of these haters here in PDF knows Pakistan moving on the right side under this Civillian PMLN Govt.........and that's the main problem for them in the longer run:coffee:
:rofl: right side is not the prob...the prob with large and repetitive loans is people dont see where some of the money gets siphoned in corruption! No one keeps tabs thats what at least I am concerned about...You want to see it from the narrow telescope of PMLN govt then be my guest!

Last edited:
:rofl: right side is not the prob...the prob with large and repetitive loans is people dont see where some of the money gets siphoned in corruption! No one keeps tabs thats what at least I am concerned about...You want to see it from the narrow telescope of PMLN govt then be my guest!

Oh com'on.....its been one year to this govt now..........show me any financial corruption scandal, in fact we have one of the most transparent 3G/4G sale & other occasion.....this govt is by and large corruption free as uptill now...accept it.... & at least give the credit where its due.

Oh com'on.....its been one year to this govt now..........show me any financial corruption scandal, in fact we have one of the most transparent 3G/4G sale & other occasion.....this govt is by and large corruption free as uptill now...accept it.... & at least give the credit where its due.
Thanks lenay key liyay teri kasam.....PML-N bashing zaroori hay sanam......baqi aap khud samagh dar hain....

It would be nice if we get some clarification on what these loans are for and what is the strategy to pay it back

It would be great before they take loan they explain the "paying back part"

Back
Top Bottom