What's new

Work on stealth frigates( P-17A) for Navy to start next year at Mazagon Docks

Hope they make it as clean configuration ship and don't go for those clunkering RBU 6000.

Very solid news.. looks like 2016-2020 is going to be a very busy period for inductions..

Can some one list out few challenges what stops our shipyards from say producing ships in 3-4-5 years versus present 7 years average.
Other than modular construction and relative investments or even those points too...
The needs of IN is very very huge.. SO i was wondering if we can have a detailed discussion and involve many opinions on this..

Hope they make it as clean configuration ship and don't go for those clunkering RBU 6000.
Why to compromise on firepower for stealth? As far as I know rbu is for anti ship role & clean configuration is for low radar signature.

bharatastra%2Bp17a.jpg

qCVVpFv.jpg

7 of these. :):yahoo:

destroyer-visakhapatnam_650x400_81429249536.jpg

And 4 Vizag destoryers

Very solid news.. looks like 2016-2020 is going to be a very busy period for inductions..

an some one list out few challenges what stops our shipyards from say producing ships in 3-4-5 years versus present 7 years average.
Other than modular construction and relative investments or even those points too...
The needs of IN is very very huge.. SO i was wondering if we can have a detailed discussion and involve many opinions on this..

At present only MDL and GRSE is building big warships as of now, if we leave the OPVs from GSL, SSBNs from L&T and Vikrant from CSL. We are yet to utilise even 50% of the present capacity we have.

Compare this to 3 major shipyards of China which together roll out about 3 destroyers, 5-6 frigates, 4 submarines (SSK), 2 nuke subs, 6 corvettes, 3 Big resupply ships and a he'll lot of other smaller vessels each year.

bharatastra%2Bp17a.jpg

qCVVpFv.jpg

7 of these. :):yahoo:

destroyer-visakhapatnam_650x400_81429249536.jpg

And 4 Vizag destoryers

12 P17A and 6 P15B. Note it down.And tag me when (in 2-3 years ) when there is an official announcement. :-)

Why to compromise on firepower for stealth? As far as I know rbu is for anti ship role & clean configuration is for low radar signature.
Rbu is a anti submarine mortar system. They doesn't really fit for application in this 21st century where submarines are fitted with long range torpedoes.

There are good alternatives to RBU 6000 that can be used without compromising stealth. In fact Russia is also using Paket Nk in its new Gorshkov class frigates.They can be launched through torpedo tubes thus providing no significant change to the ships superstructure.

Rbu is a anti submarine mortar system. They doesn't really fit for application in this 21st century where submarines are fitted with long range torpedoes.

The RBUs these days are mostly used as a defense against inbound wire guided torpedoes (the shaped charged can cut off the guidance wires) rather than against enemy subs!!

What will be IN's plan after p15b & p17a?will they go for new hull based destroyers & frigates or same hull design with more refined super structure.
No concrete idea ATM. But there was an article few days( or months) back where It was said that India might go for 'cruisers' post P-15B. But all these are pure speculations at the moment and should be taken with pinch of salt.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom