What's new

Wide Asia support for US despite China rise

the title should be wide support for America BECAUSE of China's rise.

China will win this for one simple reason, there can't ever be unity with nations.

China must encourage an alliance, Philippines, Japan, Vietnam, and more would be most welcomed. It would be even better if America is the leader of this group.

I egerly wait for this day, now why this is advantages I don't have the time to say, I might later, suffice to say, it's no accident the first Chinese empire was Qin, even though 6 kingdoms continue to "unite" against it....

For our Japanese friends, Oda Nobunaga was never really defeated by an alliance, and Taira no Kiyomori was victorious each time against alliances, I mean until he died. Do you know why?

- No Chinese 'hubris' -
One surprise in the survey was in China itself, where 71 percent of experts predicted that the United States would be the dominant power in East Asia in 2024 -- more than said so in any other country, including even the United States.
The finding "really gives the lie, if you will, to this notion that all Chinese are just brimming with hubris and assertiveness and aggressiveness," said Christopher Johnson, another China expert at the center and a former CIA analyst.
The reason for that is simple, China recent action is not motivated by hubris, assertiveness or aggressiveness that others would like to paint it to be. They are actually reaction to aggressiveness from other countries. Whose actions China believed were encouraged by US pivot/re-balance(whatever). Although China rise in relative power is definitely one of the principle factor.

China is not going to rely on a pure cost/benefit analysis like the west, when it involve matter of principle. They don't avoid doing thing just because it is going to hurt. Can you call China decision to go to the Korea peninsular to fight US and the UN force motivated by hubris?

An outlier in the survey was Thailand, which is a long-standing US ally. Some 89 percent of Thai experts said that China would exert the most power in East Asia in 10 years and fewer than 10 percent said that continued US leadership was in their country's best interest -- views sharply different to those in other US allies.
Thailand is the odd man out, that is hardly surprising. The only Southeast Asian state to avoid European colonial rule. They may not always pick the winner, but they have always managed to survive.

The Thai know about compromise. And the Vietnamese is at the opposite end, more so is the Japanese.

As the American has found out, if you want the one track mind Japanese to compromise, you got to really give it to them.

US was the only country to use nukes, and Japan was the first and the only country to receive them. I guess something must be very wrong. ;)

As painful it is for us to talk about the nuclear fallout , considering the massive toll it was on civilian lives, I like to find a positive outcome to this. Both of our countries were at war, and the United States just had a costly operation to seize Iwo Jima and Okinawa. In Iwo Jima , alone, the United States suffered 25,000 casualties, and the Imperial Army suffered 18,000 casualties. In the Battle of Okinawa , the United States suffered over 50,000 casulaties, and the Imperial Army suffered over 110,000 casulaties. In fact, estimates showed that the United States would expect at least to have 1-2 million casualties had they had to invade Japan. Those bombs were dropped to stop the war, and the war did stop, most importantly, no more Japanese civilians had to suffer. Every Japanese is happy to know that no other country had to suffer a nuclear strike, we know too well it has on the people. War is a very destructive affair, for all parties involved.

The Thai know about compromise. And the Vietnamese is at the opposite end, more so is the Japanese.

As the American has found out, if you want the one track mind Japanese to compromise, you got to really give it to them.

I disagree, you no basis to make such a sweeping judgment on a nation that , for years now, have been compromising with our partners. I think it is wrong for you to conclude that Japan of today is the same as the Japanese Empire of the past.

Had we been like we were in the past, first of all, we would have already developed our own nuclear defense program, had already removed the United States out of our soil. And well, we would have projected our power to parties that were in our way.

Luckily for us, we are not like that anymore. Japan no longer is a fascist country, we are a democracy. :azn:

Last edited:
If what you said is true, China may get nuked already.

I think you still live 50 years ago.

China does not have a long range rocket to deliver them to US???

CIA and NSA will think: where the heck does this brain-dead idiot come from???

Your nuke is so tiny compare to US the peaceful.

Your country even don't have a long range rocket to deliver them to US.

It's better if you nuke your neighbor, it will make international community angry and you will be hated. But it's good.

Remember! You dare to make friends to your neighbor, you will be nuked 1000 times! It will be even worse! :butcher:

:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I do not think japs learn their lessons well.

It seems that even today they teach their own people during WWII, what japs did was to save east asia from evil west, what japs did was not invasion of China, but entrance into China, there was no massacre at all in China, and Nanjing massacre of at least 300,000 people were fabricated, and their own p.m. and high rank officials should pay their respects to those war criminals now in their temples...

With all of those above, you tell the world japs have learnt the lesson of WWII???

That is either a joke or some people is simply beyond stupid to believe that.

As painful it is for us to talk about the nuclear fallout , considering the massive toll it was on civilian lives, I like to find a positive outcome to this. Both of our countries were at war, and the United States just had a costly operation to seize Iwo Jima and Okinawa. In Iwo Jima , alone, the United States suffered 25,000 casualties, and the Imperial Army suffered 18,000 casualties. In the Battle of Okinawa , the United States suffered over 50,000 casulaties, and the Imperial Army suffered over 110,000 casulaties. In fact, estimates showed that the United States would expect at least to have 1-2 million casualties had they had to invade Japan. Those bombs were dropped to stop the war, and the war did stop, most importantly, no more Japanese civilians had to suffer. Every Japanese is happy to know that no other country had to suffer a nuclear strike, we know too well it has on the people. War is a very destructive affair, for all parties involved.

I disagree, you no basis to make such a sweeping judgment on a nation that , for years now, have been compromising with our partners. I think it is wrong for you to conclude that Japan of today is the same as the Japanese Empire of the past.

Had we been like we were in the past, first of all, we would have already developed our own nuclear defense program, had already removed the United States out of our soil. And well, we would have projected our power to parties that were in our way.

Luckily for us, we are not like that anymore. Japan no longer is a fascist country, we are a democracy. :azn:

Gee, I wonder what would keep a country as big and powerful as communist China from "nuking" a neighbour as small as Taiwan? Oh yeah! ...

gpw-20060917-UnitedStatesNavy-060618-N-8492C-212-fighter-jets-B-2-Spirit-aircraft-carrier-strike-groups-Philippine-Sea-Guam-20060618.jpg

Now I remember! :usflag:

Do not worry,the DF-41 it's just tanker. LOL!

Removing US from Japan and Japan nuclear arm? Are you kidding me?

You are on probation. If you want the world to forget and forgive what you have done in WWII, you have to go the German way, NOT what you are doing now.

Ask around, I think the whole world would agree.

Japan fear US abandonment. That is why they resist anything that will alienate the US of the World.

An 11-nation survey of experts, who are not in government but are seen as influential, found strong backing in almost every country except China for President Barack Obama's stated policy of "pivoting" US resources toward Asia.

The study by the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies found that elites largely expected China's clout to keep growing. But asked what would be best for their countries, wide majorities in the United States as well as its regional partners Australia, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan chose continued US leadership, even if Washington's power declines in relative terms.

Elites in Southeast Asia and India preferred international cooperation, with marginal numbers even in China itself saying that Beijing's supremacy would be in their countries' best interest.

Japan, whose relationship with China has been deteriorating, was the most enthusiastic about a dominant US position. Only two percent of Japanese experts said that China played a positive role in regional security and 83 percent expected Japan's most important economic relationship in a decade to be with the United States, even though China is already Japan's largest trading partner.

On the other end of the spectrum, Southeast Asian nations preferred a "quiet, persistent presence" by the United States, said Bonnie Glaser, a China expert at the center.

Southeast Asians appreciate the US commitment to freedom of navigation amid tensions with Beijing in the South China Sea, but "they really don't want to see confrontation and friction between the United States and China," Glaser said at the release of the survey.

- No Chinese 'hubris' -

One surprise in the survey was in China itself, where 71 percent of experts predicted that the United States would be the dominant power in East Asia in 2024 -- more than said so in any other country, including even the United States.

The finding "really gives the lie, if you will, to this notion that all Chinese are just brimming with hubris and assertiveness and aggressiveness," said Christopher Johnson, another China expert at the center and a former CIA analyst.

Johnson said that the survey reflected a shift from the 2008 economic crisis, when many Chinese predicted a steep US decline, as well as growing doubts within China on whether it can sustain growth.

The survey reflects the views of elites, not government officials or the public. Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for a new form of relationship with the United States and has been seen as increasingly assertive in challenging Japan, Vietnam and the Philippines at sea.

An outlier in the survey was Thailand, which is a long-standing US ally. Some 89 percent of Thai experts said that China would exert the most power in East Asia in 10 years and fewer than 10 percent said that continued US leadership was in their country's best interest -- views sharply different to those in other US allies.

Ernie Bower, the center's chair of Southeast Asia studies, said that the Thai elite's attitudes reflected disappointment with the US response to the 1997 Asian financial crisis and its brief sanctioning of the kingdom over a 2006 military coup.

The survey was conducted in March and April, before the Thai military's latest coup that has triggered strong US criticism.

India was the only Asian nation other than Japan where more expected the United States rather than China to be its top economic partner. Only nine percent of experts in India, which has a long-running border dispute with China, said that Beijing had a positive impact on regional security.
Jealous that the Japanese and the rest of Asia does not like China ?

China ! ! :china: China ! ! :china: China ! ! :china: .......:whistle:

Jealous that the Japanese and the rest of Asia does not like China ?
Jealous? LOL I want to remind you that we have non-intervention policy. What other country does to its internal affair is none of our concern, meaning they can ally with anyone they want except we ask they don't specifically target a "particular country". I am speaking of the truth of the political environment in Japan, domestically and internationally. My American friend, you should know that you retaliate on any country that turn against you. Iran, Iraq, Libya, and so on.

Jealous? LOL I want to remind you that we have non-intervention policy. What other country does to its internal affair is none of our concern, meaning they can ally with anyone they want except we ask they don't specifically target a "particular country". I am speaking of the truth of the political environment in Japan, domestically and internationally. My American friend, you should know that you retaliate on any country that turn against you. Iran, Iraq, Libya, and so on.
Of course YOU are jealous. And naive as well.

A non-interventionist policy does not mean one does not desire at least allies. That is allies, not friends. Allies shares political goals, friends shares moral values. The US and Great Britain are friends. The US and Saudi Arabia are allies. Get it ?

Right now, China have no regional allies. Yes, there are economic activities between China and other Asian countries, but then back during the Cold War, the US and the USSR have some trade activities as well. So at best, all China have are economic allies and in a pinch, they can renegotiate their relationships to the point of severance. Political and moral foundations are much more difficult to break apart.

Back
Top Bottom