What's new

Why is Iran so anti isreal?

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I have had lot of interaction with Iranian's [ one of my high school friends was Iranian ] and I am struck by their intelligence, their sophisticated culture and savvy nature.

However what I can't quite figure out is why is Iran so rabidly against Isreal? I know the same applies in Pakistan [ although our government is subdued in regards to Isreal ] but here we do have mass illiteracy, ignorance and the medieval Mullah.

But Iran? I mean I can appreciate that many people can see the injustice of Isreali occupation etc of Palestine but Iran appears to take a tougher stand against Isreal than even the Arabs. The Arabs show appreciation to Iran by suggesting to American's to 'cut off the snakes head'.

Iran however has paid dearly for this anti-Isreali posture. Sanctions, economic hardship etc. Although Iran is doing fine but considering it has massive oil wealth, a educated populace it should be a economic powerhouse by now. That has not happened because of anti-Isreali policy of Iran and all those crippling sanctions.

I know US and UK have played dirty in Iranian history going back to Dr. Mossadeq days but 30 years after the revolution you would expect US-Iranians relations to have thawed but they have not because of the Isreali angle.

So why does Iran choose to shoot itself in the foot?

The people are not. Only the government.

To an extent correct but people are not anti-West; they may well be very well anti-Israel. Israel is not the West although Israelis try to convince the world about it.

Anyway, most, if not all, Iranian problems will go away once they accept Israeli annihilation of Palestinians as a nation. I don't know why the govt. in Iran is pro-Palestinian? Perhaps the scars from the American toppling of Mosadeq govt. in the 50's are reflected by the govt. as against an American-backed Western order in the Middle East? Perhaps, being a theocracy with enough clout, Iranian govt. is doing what other Muslim/Arab govt. would have done in the similar situation? As I see it no country can challenge Israel except Turkey and Iran in an effective way on their own.

Anyway, we can all advice Iran to dump the Palestinians if we are prepared to let Israel reduce Palestinians to even smaller Bantustans? If we are willing to let Israel gobble up E. Jerusalem?

The people are not. Only the government.

I agree but why? The Mullah's in Iran are not stupid. They know how to be pragmatic when it suits them. I am sure your aware of Col. Oliver North and Irangate. That proves how Mullahs in Iran can let practical realism overrule religious zeal and dogma when it suits them.

@ Meengla Unfortunatly let us be realistic about this, we are not in a position to dictate anything to Isreal. It is a simple equation of power. Dumping or not dumping will have no effect on what happens to Palestinians.

The Isreali's do not take leave from any Muslim country. The the follopian tube that connects Isreal to US ensures the lifeforce that gives Isreal power. US is the only country in a position to dictate to Isreal. US of course because of domestic politics is not about to do any dictation to Isreal.

@ Meengla Unfortunatly let us be realistic about this, we are not in a position to dictate anything to Isreal. It is a simple equation of power. Dumping or not dumping will have no effect on what happens to Palestinians.

No, I don't agree with that. I think the 2006 Hezb-Israel conflict was a watershed even which has caused much debate within Israel. Debates with fears of even more powerful weapons. Powerful enemies with real defences and offences. Shrewed enemies who too will learn to manipulate the media. Fear leads to concessions over time. In 1993 Israel agreed to at least a Palestinian Authority. A few years ago EVEN Netanyahu first time spoke of a Palestinian State. That was not out of good naturedness.
Palestinians' plight could have been greatly reduced had there been democracy in Saudi Arabia. But we what self-serving, sectarian-thinking rulers in KSA who, instead of taking any lead, are playing into the hands of the outsiders.

It may be related to counter Arab hegemony in Islamic world as Iran is not liked in majority of Arab world.

^^^

I see your point. There may be some substance in what your saying but that is another issue. I go back to Iran. why does Iran choose to suffer so much for the rights of Palestinians when most Arabs consider Iran at best a nuisance and at worse a 'snake' that needs it's head chopping off.

Even the present threats being thrown by US-Isreal combine are derived from Iranian anti Isreal posturing.Thus in my view Iranian policy with regards to Isreal almost flies against logic and is bordering on being masochistic.

Any Iranian members care to shed light on this?

Scapegoating as a group however, requires that ingroup members settle on a specific target to blame for their problems.[7] Scapegoating is also more likely to appear when a group has experienced difficult, prolonged negative experiences (as opposed to minor annoyances). When negative conditions frustrate a group's attempts at successful acquisition of its most essential needs (e.g., food, shelter), groups may develop a compelling, shared ideology that - when combined with social and political pressures - may lead to the most extreme form of scapegoating: genocide.

Scapegoating can also cause oppressed groups to lash out at other oppressed groups. Even when injustices are committed against a minority group by the majority group, minorities sometimes lash out against a different minority group in lieu of confronting the more powerful majority

If there was not Israel it would be another group/country. Far easier politically to say all your woes are the fault of the evil Zionists/great satan/RAW than face up to reality.

eg: Drought, its not poor planning or lack of the promised irrigation program its the evil zionist using mind rays to steal out water.

^^^

No I don't think that is a adequate explanation in the Iranian context. Even if I were to go along with the 'scapegoat' theory you alluded to, US the 'great satan' more than amply fulfills that role.

Don't forget Iranians do have genuine gripe about US and UK meddling in their affairs - Both are more than good enough to be used as political footballs inside Iran. Why Isreal though?

^^^

No I don't think that is a adequate explanation in the Iranian context. Even if I were to go along with the 'scapegoat' theory you alluded to, US the 'great satan' more than amply fulfills that role.

Don't forget Iranians do have genuine gripe about US and UK meddling in their affairs - Both are more than good enough to be used as political footballs inside Iran. Why Isreal though?

Iran doesn't like when people get bullied. Iran has never attacked a nation in their modern existence however have been targeted by the rest of the world continually either covertly or openly by supporting Iraq against them. They feel for the Palestinians and unlike the Arabs who have accepted the norm they want to do something to help them and have the means to do so with their oil wealth. However the main opponent against them that is trying to prevent Iranian help just so happens to be Israel who happens to dictate terms to the US and UK and we all know the history Iran has with them. Naturally Israel and Iran are then natural enemies.

Iran had anti-Israel propaganda going at the surface level while clandestinely having partnership with Israel even after revolution. Case to point - Iran-Contra affair. Both Israel and Iran saw Iraq as a common enemy and that is the reason they were cooperating.The deterioration started with the weakening of Iraq after the first Gulf war and worsened after the second gulf war. Another reason was the Oslo peace process. Iran after revolution was supporting Hezbollah in Lebanon to stay relevant in the middle-east. But after Iraq became weak and the Oslo peace process mended Israel relationship with many Arab states, Iran was isolated and Iran was seen as the enemy by Israel due to its support for Hezbollah. This situation weakened in 2000s when Iran started pursuing nuclear weapons. This is the background.

Iran doesn't like when people get bullied.

That is a fantastic and noble proposition. I can't believe that such a simple but beautiful impulse could be behind the Iranian support of the underdog. If I were to even risk half of what the Iranians have for Palestine, for a friend I would be called 'mad' by my family.

@ Sashan That seems plausible. I already mentioned how wily the Mullahs of Iran can be over the Irangate affair. They are able drop their religious zeal for spot of realism that even Machiavelli would have been proud of.

I don't know why the govt. in Iran is pro-Palestinian? Perhaps the scars from the American toppling of Mosadeq govt. in the 50's are reflected by the govt. as against an American-backed Western order in the Middle East? Perhaps, being a theocracy with enough clout, Iranian govt. is doing what other Muslim/Arab govt. would have done in the similar situation?

That was my answer. And who knows if there is a 'one good answer'?
But fact is that in 2006 it was the first time since at least 1948 an Arab fighting-force, however ragtag, stood up to Israel, came out of bunkers south of the Litani River after weeks of most brutal bombings and attacks, and said "We are still here". That was an Arab force, backed by Iran and Syria.

The irony is that Arabs who are well-known as backstabbers,accuse Iran of being secretly in bed with Israel and that Iran's support for Palestine is just a show.Arabs are very good backstabbers,even at backstabbing each other (Saddam attacking Kuwait is an example).They have been drowned in sectarian issues and they accuse Iran of flaming sectarian wars.Isn't that funny?
Take Saudi Arabia who calls itself the so called leader in Sunni world,there are three Shia ruled countries in ME,Iran,Iraq and Syria (although Syria is a secular country),Saudis are enemy with all those three.Doesn't that ring a bell?They hate Hezbollah,a Shia group who was the first in Arabs who could actually kick Israel in the A**,just because of their sect.They support terror squads in Syria,just because it is ruled b an Alawite.At the same time,they send their troops to crush a Shia-led uprising in Bahrain.One can not simply describe these people in one sentence or even a book.
Now take Iran in to account.Iran has good relations with any country in ME who gives its hand to us,no matter they are Shia or Sunni or secular.Pakistan and Turkey (2 Sunni majority countries),Qatar(before its support of terrorists in Syria),UAE,Kuwait and Oman.Even in Bahrain,before the uprisings started in it,Iran was a close friend to it.

About Palestine issue,well Iran doesn't look in to it as an Arab issue.We look to them as humans whom their land has been stolen.
If Arabs choose to sell them and back stab their 'Arab' brothers,then should we do the same?Then we will be just like them.

'As the great Iranian poet Sa'di says, “Human beings are members of a whole, In creation of one essence and soul. If one member is afflicted with pain, Other members uneasy will remain. If you've no sympathy for human pain, The name of human you cannot retain!” '

That was my answer. And who knows if there is a 'one good answer'?
But fact is that in 2006 it was the first time since at least 1948 an Arab fighting-force, however ragtag, stood up to Israel, came out of bunkers south of the Litani River after weeks of most brutal bombings and attacks, and said "We are still here". That was an Arab force, backed by Iran and Syria.
I don't know what you mean by ragtag.
You should have put the end of your sentence like this: 'Backed by Iran and Syria and back stabbed by Sunni Arab regimes'.
Most Arab members here call them Hezb-al Shaytan.

@Era_923,
I, for one, don't think Iran is supporting Palestinians to score some 'browny points' in the larger Muslim community. I think Iran, being a theocracy has a large role to do with this seemingly-suicidal policy by Iran.

I don't want a conflict between Iran and the rest to happen. We Pakistanis are inheritors from not only India but also from central Asians, Turks, Arabs, and Persians. To us, all are equal. I wish we had a visionary leader to mediate between the estranged brothers. But the way it is going--Iran will lose big way. It can certainly fight and bleed Israel as a one-on-one. But not the West, Israel and the GCC-led Arab countries.
If I may...Iran should backtrack. Even Palestine is not worth the bloodbath in the region.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom