What's new

Why I won't be cheering for Shahid Afridi anymore

His life @ ground is different from life @ outside.

He will be cheered for the thrills and entertainment he provides in sports.

All other things are secondary and his personal comments and opinions doesnt matter much.

Well, it may matter to some people, including me.
I don't want Indian cricketers to spread this bigoted BS.
After all, they are role models for millions of Indian children.Their word carries a lot of weight.It has power to change the collective opinion of a nation, since children are the future.

Pakistanis seemingly on the other had have a higher tolerance for this kind of thinking.
And look where it has got them.

what about in india? how is the situation of women their?

Discrimination against women happen in every society, in every country, even in USA women are stereotyped, for example, even when both partners are working, the responsibility of daily household chores largely remains on a woman's shoulders. Though one can argue that men also have their share of men's jobs. :-)

Now, having said that almost all societies discriminate against women, the degree of such discrimination varies. India is a big and diverse country, there are places where women enjoy a very liberal society, almost to the level of western societies, and there are places that are more conservative, rigid, and discriminate against women. But I can say one thing with certainty, that we are changing as a society, we are improving, and the improvement is fast.

Our workplaces, both government and private, are mostly free of any discrimination against women, my office has around 40% women employees, and they are assessed only on their professional abilities.

Well thankfully levina ji, his views only affect Pakistani women, so Indian women have nothign to worry about!

Also, I must say, kind of surprised that a (relatively) rich cricketer like him who has been all around the world said something like this. You would expect someone like him to be more mature, and have a more liberal view of things. But if even Pakistani elites (which tend to be liberal) are like this, I wonder how normal Pakistanis might be :P

I am not going to make any sweeping statements about Pakistani elite when I know such mind midgets exists in our Indian society too.
Recently I drew a lot of flak for my interest in cars...why??cant women like cars??? bikes???
Thats just one example of how women get bracketed as "homely and domestic".

It matters...their personal life does matter.
Let me name a few Kevin Peterson...Shane Warne...Symonds...all of them came under scrutiny when their personal statements and personal lives went over board.

Kevin peterson- Knee injury, fallout with Andy flower, got a visa today from India to play IPL.
Shane warne- retired as a legend and is still a celebrity.
Symonds- retired at age of 36.

Sportspersons are cheered for what they do at field, singers are loved for what they sing, actors on how they act...

That idiot!!!!
I had not seen his video....I regret having cheered for a guy with such regressive mentality.
common....
you should not mix the two.....
personal life should not be brought on field....:agree:

I am not going to make any sweeping statements about Pakistani elite when I know such mind midgets exists in our Indian society too.
Recently I drew a lot of flak for my interest in cars...why??cant women like cars??? bikes???
Thats just one example of how women get bracketed as "homely and domestic".

I mean I wouldnt call that a bigoted view, but I get your point.

Reminds me of how some RSS guys tried to justify increasing rape in India by saying how it was happening because women were wearing less clothes like miniskirts. Something about how rape doesnt happen in "traditional conservative bharat", but "modern westernized India" :lol:

Yar Im not liberal or conservative, I am just trying to say what is right..
one- Im fan of Shahid Afridi's cricket
two- he can have his tribal mentality spoken & share with the world, as he believes what he says to be true. which ofcourse is a very narrow narrative combined with conservative Islamic views and pukhtoonwali code of life.. hence women are nothing more than slaves in this type of mindset.
three- If he can, why cannot an educated(unlike shahid afridi) working woman opinionate her views, when clearly she is on the right as well?
clearly shahid afridi has effect on people, like Alia Chughtai says in her article, and you can clearly see in the posts or they were probably raised like that by their respective mothers, worth not more than cooks as Shadi Afridi said...
This perfectly sums it up. :tup:

Kevin peterson- Knee injury, fallout with Andy flower, got a visa today from India to play IPL.
Shane warne- retired as a legend and is still a celebrity.
Symonds- retired at age of 36.

Sportspersons are cheered for what they do at field, singers are loved for what they sing, actors on how they act...

Kevin peterson- was once axed from the team for the texting controversy
Shane warne- and his leaked videos :coffee:
Symonds - His boozing habits and brawls got him out of the team.

If they can not behave well off the ground they would kicked out of the team thats the message.
Their sixes and wickets might earn them some cheers on the ground..but ppl will always judge the players for their behavior outside the ground too.

Last edited:
Well, it may matter to some people, including me.
I don't want Indian cricketers to spread this bigoted BS.
After all, they are role models for millions of Indian children.Their word carries a lot of weight.It has power to change the collective opinion of a nation, since children are the future.

Pakistanis seemingly on the other had have a higher tolerance for this kind of thinking.
And look where it has got them.

Oh yes..

when they say "yeh waala cream acha hai" we cheer and agree'
when they say "yeh waala cola behthar hai, we cheer and agree"
when they say "yeh waala biscuit gives u muscle, we cheer and agree"
when they say "yeh waala underwear makes u fly we cheer and agree"

So when they say " no equal rights we should boo and disagree"

Ask if all of the above really matter .. to adults perhaps.

Yar Im not liberal or conservative, I am just trying to say what is right..

one- Im fan of Shahid Afridi's cricket

two- he can have his tribal mentality spoken & share with the world, as he believes what he says to be true. which ofcourse is a very narrow narrative combined with conservative Islamic views and pukhtoonwali code of life.. hence women are nothing more than slaves in this type of mindset.

three- If he can, why cannot an educated(unlike shahid afridi) working woman opinionate her views, when clearly she is on the right as well?

clearly shahid afridi has effect on people, like Alia Chughtai says in her article, and you can clearly see in the posts or they were probably raised like that by their respective mothers, worth not more than cooks as Shadi Afridi said...
Oye pakhtunwali ko kyun beech may laa raha hey? The code of Pashtunwali doesnt talk about role of women in the society, pashtunwali is not a religion neither it is the culture, its islam which defines role of women....Afridi's thinking is "mashriqi soch" , prevalent in all communities of pakistan.
You are a burger so every cultural and religous person would be "jahil tribal pakhtun with narrow mind who keep their women like slaves" for you....burger, have you ever tried shalwar kameez?...get rid of your tight jeans, they are not good for testicles.

I mean I wouldnt call that a bigoted view, but I get your point.

Reminds me of how some RSS guys tried to justify increasing rape in India by saying how it was happening because women were wearing less clothes like miniskirts. Something about how rape doesnt happen in "traditional conservative bharat", but "modern westernized India" :lol:

Yes what shahid afridi has said is bigotry. and he proved himself to be a bigot !

very shameful creature he is.

Oh yes..

when they say "yeh waala cream acha hai" we cheer and agree'
when they say "yeh waala cola behthar hai, we cheer and agree"
when they say "yeh waala biscuit gives u muscle, we cheer and agree"
when they say "yeh waala underwear makes u fly we cheer and agree"

So when they say " no equal rights we should boo and disagree"

Ask if all of the above really matter .. to adults perhaps.

Of course.
Surely you are not equating gender equality with advertising riff raff.
Because that would be really stupid.

Just in my extended family we have 3 doctors, 2 engineers, 1 accountant, 2 business women and 1 teacher. All are still working except for two who quit after having kids.

None in sports.
damn so women in india must be doing really good. every family has doctors and engineers and accountants

Back
Top Bottom