What's new

Why did the Turkic/Afghan rulers in India adopted and spread the Persian language?

Mughals had nothing to do with Mongols just like Tamerlane. They were called Mughals because they came from "Mughalistan". Ethnically they were Chagatai Turks who mixed with Persian women and later also with Hindu women. Even Babur had Tajik blood because bis great grandfather Timur married a Tajik concubine

Mughals did have some partial Mongol ancestory. They had some Barlas blood which was a Mongol tribe which had settled in Uzbekistan. Anyway, I am no Historian.

Mughals did have some partial Mongol ancestory. They had some Barlas blood which was a Mongol tribe which had settled in Uzbekistan. Anyway, I am no Historian.

It is not really proven that the Barlas were a pure Mongol tribe. Most scholars say that they were more like a mixed Turco-Mongol people tribe who got later completely Turkicized. Neither Timur nor his descendants spoke Mongolic. Well, Baburs descendants also spoke only Persian lol. I think that the Persian women who married with the Mughal men had a major influence in the court

It is not really proven that the Barlas were a pure Mongol tribe. Most scholars say that they were more like a mixed Turco-Mongol people tribe who got later completely Turkicized. Neither Timur nor his descendants spoke Mongolic. Well, Baburs descendants also spoke only Persian lol. I think that the Persian women who married with the Mughal men had a major influence in the court

Yeah , i believe the Mughals were ethnically mixed Turko-Mongol with largely Turkic blood. Religious, culturally and linguistically they were completely Turkified. That's why I stated to Indic that they were largely Turkic.

Ofcourse later Mughals after Babur gradually became Persianised and Indianised.

Mughals had nothing to do with Mongols just like Tamerlane. They were called Mughals because they came from "Mughalistan". Ethnically they were Chagatai Turks who mixed with Persian women and later also with Hindu women. Even Babur had Tajik blood because bis great grandfather Timur married a Tajik concubine

That is true, Babar was a Chagatai Turkic and he spoke Chagatai Turkic language as his Native Tongue.

Back
Top Bottom