What's new

Why did Pakistanis decided to keep Thier pre-islamic sirnames while Muslims in rest of the South Asia didn't?

Hindustan was used for a specific region that corresponds to roughly modern-day UP. It was Akbar who changed this and instead referred to Hindustan as all domains under Mughal authority.

However, people of modern-day Pakistan continued to refer to 'Hindustan' as a region which corresponds to now North India.

If North India was Hindustan then South India must be Non Hindustan.

It means Pakistanis retain pride in their working class caste. However, there is caste in Pakistan [same in India] which is very looked down upon for cleaning toilets. They should get respect.
In Pak they converted mostly to Christianity.
In indian punjab they became mazhabi sikhs.
Among muslim punjabis they became musali.
In Sindh they have clans not castes. Same with KPK and Balochistan.
In punjab they have rajputs jutts arians etc.

If North India was Hindustan then South India must be Non Hindustan.
Even British didnt use the word hindustan for regions of modern day Pakistan.

The good thing about keeping the caste name is when Ghar Wapsi happens it makes the job easy and people do not have to second guess. For example Ishaq Dar becomes a Brahman.
Bro come here and we will do your actual wapsi from the hole you popped out of.

In India it is about caste identity, which was retained as people prefer to marry within their own caste. So for example, Syed is original Kshatriya and they prefer descendants of other Kshatriya. Similarly, Sheikh is Scythian Rajput. Bania castes probably retain their last names. Lower castes may not carry the same pride.
Caste is a profession which may be ethnic or tribal identity. Kshatriya is a caste and the blood Syed/Sharif or Deva is original ethnicity within the caste. Similarly, Rajput and Pathan are ethnicitities in Kshatriya. Blood Aryan is the original ethnicity in the Brahman caste.
Syeds aren’t originally Kshatriya, where did you get this info from, hearing it for the first time.😂

Syeds and Awans were the first one to migrate to sindh back in 7th century after the incident of Karbalah. Most Syeds have their Sharjah linking them to one of the 11 Imams from where they trace their lineage back to Prophet Muhammad pbuh. Though people say that Most Syed’s are fake etc without knowing that you can’t just become one and adapt the name like that. If you’re a Syed, you can’t take zakat, sadaka and their are many others rules we have to follow. Being a Syed isn’t easy and it can’t be something someone can just adapt. Also Syeds loose more and gain very little so I don’t see anyone benefiting by adopting a name. So correct yourself, or at least you could show some evidence to back your claims.

Also before Babur and other invasions, Syeds contributed the most by converting the subcontinent population into Muslim. Evidence of it can be found all across the subcontinent of Mazaras such as Data Sahib, Ajmer shreef and many other mazars of Syed’s tracing back to 7th 8th AD. So you can say 98% Syed’s are real and authentic in subcontinent.

Even British didnt use the word hindustan for regions of modern day Pakistan.

Bro come here and we will do your actual wapsi from the hole you popped out of.
afaik they are all considered clans not castes

The people that you are referring to (Chuhras) were brought over by the British to work as cantonment laborers doing menial tasks that the locals refused to do.

Most of them were already Christians and many were brought from Goa, which is why roughly half of Pakistani Christians are Catholics (native Goans being mostly Catholic).

Chuhras that converted to Islam became Musalli while Chuhras that converted to Sikhism became Mazhabhi Sikhs.

Being a Syed isn’t easy and it can’t be something someone can just adapt. Also Syeds loose more and gain very little so I don’t see anyone benefiting by adopting a name. So correct yourself, or at least you could show some evidence to back your claims.
People began to claim Syed ancestry enmasse during Mughal rule due to the state benefits allotted to Syeds; specifically exemption from taxation, provision of a hefty allowance and preference in employment.

The actual original Syed population (along with other Arabs) were located in the Arab quarters of Mansura and Multan.

The Arabs/Syeds of Mansura, along with the rest of the population, were massacred and exterminated by Mahmud Ghaznavi.

While the Arabs/Syeds of Multan were exiled to India by Hussain Shah Langah, one of the reasons being the increasing unpopularity of Syeds following a major event where they conspired with an invading Timurid army to open the gates and allowed them to massacre and plunder the inhabitants in return for the Syeds to be spared and their positions be retained.

Hussain Shah Langah was a local tribal leader that had wrested control over South Punjab and had declared independence from the Delhi Sultanate, becoming the Sultan of Multan. The exiled Syeds then had lobbied Delhi to invade South Punjab and return them to power. A massive invasion force was sent which quickly managed to surround and besiege Multan. Hussain Shah Langah, understanding that the city would soon starve, led his Baloch and Punjabi cavalry in a suicidal sally that miraculously managed to break the siege and route the enemy guaranteeing his independence and destroying any hopes of return for the exiled Syeds.

People began to claim Syed ancestry enmasse during Mughal rule due to the state benefits allotted to Syeds; specifically exemption from taxation, provision of a hefty allowance and preference in employment.

The actual original Syed population (along with other Arabs) were located in the Arab quarters of Mansura and Multan.

The Arabs/Syeds of Mansura, along with the rest of the population, were massacred and exterminated by Mahmud Ghaznavi.

While the Arabs/Syeds of Multan were exiled to India by Hussain Shah Langah, one of the reasons being the increasing unpopularity of Syeds following a major event where they conspired with an invading Timurid army to open the gates and allowed them to massacre and plunder the inhabitants in return for the Syeds to be spared and their positions be retained.

Hussain Shah Langah was a local tribal leader that had wrested control over South Punjab and had declared independence from the Delhi Sultanate, becoming the Sultan of Multan. The exiled Syeds then had lobbied Delhi to invade South Punjab and return them to power. A massive invasion force was sent which quickly managed to surround and besiege Multan. Hussain Shah Langah, understanding that the city would soon starve, led his Baloch and Punjabi cavalry in a suicidal sally that miraculously managed to break the siege and route the enemy guaranteeing his independence and destroying any hopes of return for the exiled Syeds.
Any reference?? so that I can read the whole story.

Are we talking about the same time period where Mongols were roaming around indus basin
"Around 1240 CE a Mongol commander of Herat called Bahadur Tair with other mongol leaders amassed massive hordes and descended upon the Indus region but finding it difficult to take Multan they moved northwards towards another medieval jewel of the Indus basin, the city of Lahore."

Is this is the same guy who after defeat in Multan invaded Lahore (where the governor along with military abandoned the city and people fought off the Mongols alone - 10 of thousands mongol horsemen died inside the city)

or this is just a completely different character

My last name is just my father’s name. My son’s last name is my first name. We know our identity and subclan or gotra as bhartis say, which is ramay.

My last name is just my father’s name. My son’s last name is my first name. We know our identity and subclan or gotra as bhartis say, which is ramay.
my father has his subclan Kokhar with his name but for some reason none of my brothers or me got one - only the first born sister got one
which is kinda weird I guess

It may have to do with Islam coming very early to Pakistan, during the Khilafah of Al Walid ibn Abd Al Malik, i believe in year 712. Qasim Bin Muhammad and Al Hajjaj Bin Youssuf actually defined Hindus as People of the Book and therefore Dhimma. It was a realpolitik solution in order to control this vast area with a numerically small army, far away from Caliphal capital Damascus.

Bin Muhammad conqoured Balochistan Sind and Punjab with mere 10 000 soldiers!

Last edited:
It may have to do with Islam coming very early to Pakistan, during the Khilafah of Al Walid ibn Abd Al Malik, i believe in year 712. Qasim Bin Muhammad and Al Hajjaj Bin Youssuf actually defines Hindus as People of the Book and therefore Dhimma. It was a realpolitik solution in order to control this vast area with what a numerically small army, far away from Caliphal capital Damascus.

Bin Muhammad conqoured Balochistan Sind and Punjab with mere 10 000 soldiers!
cause as the legend goes - jutt clans revolted against the raja and aided him - he came in during a civil war or civil strife so all he needed was a domino effect
second we started converting 11th-12th century onwards

Back
Top Bottom