What's new

Why don't many Muslims in South Asia have family names?

Correct. Everyone in the Sub-continent belonged to some castes even in the pre Islamic time. Even Arabs, Persians and Mongols have family surnames too.

He is too young and did not know that.

That is why Hindu regarded the followers of other religions in India as the lower caste.

They converted to escape the caste system.

Osama bin Laden.
Laden is the family surname.

They do use Roman names but you are seeing them translated from Italian into English.
When was the last time you head of an Italian named Claudius or Vergilius? Not in a while I bet. They have generic white male names like Matteo or whatever.

they still have saxon, breton , norman surnames

I am talking specifically about dark age saxons not normans who are foreign to England.
You won't see any of them with names like Aethelbald or Hild. They have the most generic sounding white people names out there

When was the last time you head of an Italian named Claudius or Vergilius? Not in a while I bet. They have generic white male names like Matteo or whatever.

I am talking specifically about dark age saxons not normans who are foreign to England.
You won't see any of them with names like Aethelbald or Hild. They have the most generic sounding white people names out there

Still you can trace Anglo-Saxon surnames...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
J
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
W

tells you that these people have their origins in modern day Lower Saxony in Germany in the period between 400 AD and 800 AD

I don't think people in our part of the world had surnames in the English sense. I believe you'd be identified as a son of b.

I think it's the same for Malaysians

whatever uncle tom

Hehehehe...welcome back Brotha
I don't think people in our part of the world had surnames in the English sense. I believe you'd be identified as a son of b.

I think it's the same for Malaysians

The Islamification of Siyal Jatts in present day Pakistan is very well documented...Jatts,Rajputs,Gujjars,Gakhars,Khokhars still have their own surnames even after converting to Islam

GlobalMerge_htm_5795a92c5e06b525.png

@Indus Pakistan @Talwar e Pakistan

Last edited:
That's a good question. My dad is a Hyderabadi Deccani, here are our names

my name: Mohammed Abdul Khader
my dad's name: Mohammed Zakiullah
my grandfather's name: Mohammed Samiullah
my great grandfather's name: Mohammed Abdul Khader

I don't know why but as you can see in our family tradition we don't have family surnames, and there is no indication of our caste in our name, it's just a generic Arabic name.

I also asked my dad once what our caste is, and he said "we don't have caste", we are just Urdu speaking Hyderabadi Muslims, we don't even know much about our ancestors except they were probably Hindus.
I am planning on doing a DNA ancestry test soon, then maybe I'll get some answers about my ancestral roots.
The problem lies with Indian origin muslims “ biharis ups etc etc they still think they are riding with taimur and babars armies

I guess it also depends on the area they lived before migrating to Pakistan, my mum side always lived in Kashmir (mirpur) , however for my dads side they migrated from Amritsar during partition, in fact it was a Sikh family who saved my great grandfather and grandfather during partition by hiding them in a closet.
It is a well known fact that a lot of Muslims in South Asia are converts. However, it appears that during the conversions, not only the first names but also they have changed their tribes/family names into generic Arbo-Persian names. There is no way to trace their family history or ancestral roots other than their own claims. The family or caste history is simply erased ! On the other hand , many of the Muslims in Punjab and Sindh have well retained their pre-islamic family names with no problem. I was wondering why is this practice of changing family names during conversions ? Is it to hide certain caste identities to avoid social stigmas?

Not sure about your heritage? Take a DNA test
With 23 and me or with another provider.

Hehehehe...welcome back Brotha

The Islamification of Siyal Jatts in present day Pakistan is very well documented...Jatts,Rajputs,Gujjars,Gakhars,Khokhars still have their own surnames even after converting to Islam

GlobalMerge_htm_5795a92c5e06b525.png

@Indus Pakistan @Talwar e Pakistan

I don't think there is a problem. I am. Jatt, I consider it a part of my identity but it holds no real significance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom