What's new

Why Chennai can't and won't speak Hindi

yegla pegla yendu shendu :P

That's you.

1237_tc.gif

Oh yeah..I have read about meat eating in Tamil literature. So brahmins wrote that too? :eek:

Meat consumption was not only common but encouraged in Rig-Vedic Hinduism. If you have ever seen a major havan being conducted, you would find that in scriptures meat offering is prescribed for both Shani and Rahu. Though due to people's sensibility, it is substituted by Black lentils and curd, symbolically.

And it is recorded in secular literature both Tamil and otherwise that first Sangam was presided over by rishi Agastya and second by his disciple tolkappiyar and it was agastya who wrote first grammar for Tamil and tolkappiyar wrote most comprehensive grammar tolkappiyam.

So my point is when some Tamil goes high on Periyar's retarded racist and borderline genocidal propaganda, they should know that without those whom you call outsiders, there would have been no Tamil language.It is a general observation not specifically directed at you.

Last edited:
many chennai guys who post here are like frogs in the well,there is no problem in not wanting to learn Hindi or for that matter any language but denying the same in government schools to poor children is a sin.

Nobody is bothered about private school children making a choice as to what they want or don't.
IMO that is the problem faced by people who are from the interior of TN. They never say they hate Hindi, many of them I met even wanted to learn bits and pieces of hindi when I used to be around. However the resistance is more from the guys from chennai. I never could understand what the deal is with them.

many chennai guys who post here are like frogs in the well,there is no problem in not wanting to learn Hindi or for that matter any language but denying the same in government schools to poor children is a sin.

Nobody is bothered about private school children making a choice as to what they want or don't.

Poor children should have the regional language as a subject, poor children should also have English as a subject because it is the most wide-spread business language in the world as well as in India, and now you want the poor children to study a 3rd language in the school, are poor children supposed to learn only languages in schools or they need to learn other subjects also?

IMO that is the problem faced by people who are from the interior of TN. They never say they hate Hindi, many of them I met even wanted to learn bits and pieces of hindi when I used to be around. However the resistance is more from the guys from chennai. I never could understand what the deal is with them.

And I never could understand why some of you are hell bent on making everybody learn Hindi!!

Poor children should have the regional language as a subject, poor children should also have English as a subject because it is the most wide-spread business language in the world as well as in India, and now you want the poor children to study a 3rd language in the school, are poor children supposed to learn only languages in schools or they need to learn other subjects also?

And I never could understand why some of you are hell bent on making everybody learn Hindi!!
Hey I'm not bent on them learning hindi. What I want is that people should be able to decide if they want to learn Hindi. Why is there a resistance to that?

Hey I'm not bent on them learning hindi. What I want is that people should be able to decide if they want to learn Hindi. Why is there a resistance to that?

And who is stopping anyone from learning any language? If you are talking about state government funded schools, well, then most schools offer two languages, regional language and English, for each extra language you need at least one extra teacher, how many teachers for how many languages you would keep in a school, and what would be its cost implication? And if you say not all official languages but only Hindi, then why? A Tamil would most probably need to know other southern languages of adjoining states more than Hindi.

Why won't Hindi speakers learn Tamil? Simply because they don't need to and why should a language be enforced upon someone when learning the same will have no impact/use at all in daily life.

When Tamils move to Northern Areas they make an attempt to learn the language to be able to communicate with others as that becomes necessity. So whats a big deal in it? It's personal choice.

And it is recorded in secular literature both Tamil and otherwise that first Sangam was presided over by rishi Agastya and second by his disciple tolkappiyar and it was agastya who wrote first grammar for Tamil and tolkappiyar wrote most comprehensive grammar tolkappiyam.

So my point is when some Tamil goes high on Periyar's retarded racist and borderline genocidal propaganda, they should know that without those whom you call outsiders, there would have been no Tamil language.It is a general observation not specifically directed at you.

there's no concrete evidence that Puranic Agastya is the same Agastya of the late Tamil sangam era (7th BC)

Tolkapiyam was compiled over a period of time, to attribute it to a single author is an anomaly .

Some believe considering the amount of time it took for the final publication of the book to become available that it may have multiple authors assigned to it or it may have been the work of a systematized school of grammar. Though most authors attribute this masterpiece to an individual named Tolkappiyanaar whom some suggest came from the heterodox Jaina order. Some like Alexander Dubyanskiy, a veteran Tamil scholar from Moscow State University says “Tolkappiyam is not dependent on Sanskrit sources and a work that demanded not only vast knowledge but also a lot of thinking from its author
”.

Last edited:
When Hindi people want everyone to learn and accept Hindi then its nationalism and fighting for national identity. But when some Chennai people who are aware of these double standards speak against it then they will call us Pro-LTTE DMK, frog, anti-India..lol

If you say we are language minded people then even you people belong to same category.

Last edited:
Hindi is a cultural expressions of bhayyas of UP and bihar, they want to make all the people of their country bhayyas like them. It is such an ugly language, I cannot bear it for more than 5 minutes.
I thought Hindi and urdu are almost similar phonetically. Yeah we have misunderstandings but we are still Indians. You FO:nono:

Last edited:
And who is stopping anyone from learning any language? If you are talking about state government funded schools, well, then most schools offer two languages, regional language and English, for each extra language you need at least one extra teacher, how many teachers for how many languages you would keep in a school, and what would be its cost implication? And if you say not all official languages but only Hindi, then why? A Tamil would most probably need to know other southern languages of adjoining states more than Hindi.
Ii don't think that is the reason for resistance. Provide it part of the board, same as french is offered as part of CBSE. If there is a demand people will take tuitions outside.

You have to come up with a better argument than that.

Back
Top Bottom