What's new

Why Bangladesh has left India far behind

Agree on Hasina's leadership that worked to keep extremist elements away and keep bangladesh focused on development unlike you know who.
But more than that, more than any politician or political party, it's the people, it's their hard work that is bearing fruit and making the nation improve in all metrics and for that they have my respect.

Had khalida Zia been the prime minister, reality would have been different. Leadership is very important. The hard work of people can only yield result if the leadership is good.

Had khalida Zia been the prime minister, reality would have been different. Leadership is very important. The hard work of people can only yield result if the leadership is good.
Not arguing on leadership, just stating it's a combination of leadership and people who are actually ready to put in the effort.

India is an economic power house, let's not take anything away from them, the Indian middle class are miles ahead of anything we will have in the next 10 years..

That said, coming slow to the race has its advantages, we just take the good things the Indians have done and try not to repeat their mistakes.
Bangladesh has far better income equality in comparison to India.

I would not use the words "left far behind" but BD is now pretty much on par or ahead of India on all economic and social metrics.

BD due to being a small unitary country will grow 1-2% a year more on average over the next decades and so BD will become somewhat a little more prosperous than India by the middle of this decade - think of India as Indonesia and BD as Malaysia is now.

I would not use the words "left far behind" but BD is now pretty much on par or ahead of India on all economic and social metrics.

BD due to being a small unitary country will grow 1-2% a year more on average over the next decades and so BD will become somewhat a little more prosperous than India by the middle of this decade - think of India as Indonesia and BD as Malaysia is now.
I think what BD needs to focus more now is how to make this growth politically sustainable. What after Hasina?

I think what BD needs to focus more now is how to make this growth politically sustainable. What after Hasina?

I don't think Hasina will matter as much when she probably steps down in 2024 or especially if she hangs on till 2029 if her health keeps up.

What you have to look at is the foundations that she has laid in terms of building the infrastucture and the economic reforms that has allowed the country to prosper since 2009 when she came into office.

Any future goverment after her, almost certainly AL in 2024 as BNP are a mess, will just mainly continue as she has done. There may be a little more instability but people in BD are not hungry for revolution as too many people have a vested interest in her economic policies.

Human resource Capital of both India and Bangladesh is identical.....Both have the capacity to break the low middle income benchmark ($5,000 per capita nominal) ...May be both can sail past the middle middle income territorry but it's a longshot ($10,000 GDP per capita nominal)...None of them will be able to break the high middle income ($15k GDP per capita nominal) or high income ($20k per Capita nominal) in the forseeable future or the next 100 years

Still this means Bangladesh has very good chance to be a trillion dollar economy and India a 10 Trillion dollar one ...If that happens it happens by 2040 or never....You need a national urge, inertia or momentum to get that level of development done...It just doesnot happen in a business as usual way

Whatever India or Bangladesh achieves in terms of development, the other will achieve too...The only compeition is who reaches the various development milestones first..........

India and Bangladesh are locked in a development race the same way USA and USSR were locked in the space race from end of second world war to early 70s...

And frankly I love it that we have some serious competition in our neighbourhood who will keep us honest....It's very hard to develop if the neighbourhood has underdeveloped economies.....
No industrial development, no economic development in the long run. Do you think BD is setting up many industrial plants? No, it is borrowing from others and asking the lending countries to send their civil contractors to do the jobs.

And, you guys think this is development. Not bad if these prestige projects are done by BD's own companies and with its own money and technologies. India is doing such things but BD is not. Do not please delusion yourself with BD development. Please open the link below to know how people are suffering when the GoB is busy with prestigious projects. Dhaka is worse than Manila.

https://www.google.com/search? [ATTACH type="full" alt="1618915908908.png"]735784[/ATTACH]

1618915966714.png

Last edited:
I don't think Hasina will matter as much when she probably steps down in 2024 or especially if she hangs on till 2029 if her health keeps up.

What you have to look at is the foundations that she has laid in terms of building the infrastucture and the economic reforms that has allowed the country to prosper since 2009 when she came into office.

Any future goverment after her, almost certainly AL in 2024 as BNP are a mess, will just mainly continue as she has done. There may be a little more instability but people in BD are not hungry for revolution as too many people have a vested interest in her economic policies.
Hope what you say happens. We do not want instability on our eastern border as well.

Best of luck for that but India is now entering into a new phase of development. WB , IMF and many other such agencies have predicted India's growth rate somewhere between 11 to 12.8 pc. India's econmy has entered in beast mode now. India is all set to make everything starting from mobile to aircraft. India will remain highest growing major economy for a long long time. It will not be easy for BD to match india's growth rate. India is all set to lead in electronics, automobile, weapons, ship building, petrolium, hydrogen based energy, mobile manufacturing etc. BD with textile and other few low tech manufacturing businesses can not match India's growth in my opinion but my best wishes to Bangladesh for happy and prosperous BD.

No industrial development, no economic development in the long run. Do you think BD is setting up many industrial plants? No, it is borrowing from others and asking the lending countries to send their civil contractors to do the jobs.

And, you guys think this is development. Not bad if these prestige projects are done by BD's own companies and with its own money and technologies. India is doing such things but BD is not. Do not please delusion yourself with BD development. Please open the link below to know how people are suffering when the GoB is busy with prestigious projects. Dhaka is worse than Manila.

https://www.google.com/search? [ATTACH=full]735784[/ATTACH]

View attachment 735785
I can't seem to see/open the link from the post or is it an issue just from my end? do repost the link/edit the post

Best of luck for that but India is now entering into a new phase of development. WB , IMF and many other such agencies have predicted India's growth rate somewhere between 11 to 12.8 pc. India's econmy has entered in beast mode now. India is all set to make everything starting from mobile to aircraft. India will remain highest growing major economy for a long long time. It will not be easy for BD to match india's growth rate. India is all set to lead in electronics, automobile, weapons, ship building, petrolium, hydrogen based energy, mobile manufacturing etc. BD with textile and other few low tech manufacturing businesses can not match India's growth in my opinion but my best wishes to Bangladesh for happy and prosperous BD.

BD is a much smaller country than India and so does not need to have as extensive industries as India does to grow its economy on a sustainable basis.

It has also always grown around 1% a year quicker than been predicted and India usually 1% a year slower

Even the IMF has finally factored this in and thinks that BD will grow 1% a year quicker average over the next 5 years than India.

As for other BD industries, it has plenty as in electronics, pharmaceuticals, shipbuilding and IT. Yes they do not export that much yet, although some are increasing in double-digits every year, but they dominate the ever growing domestic market. BD home market is open to foreign brands and still BD consumers prefer their own companies in areas like electronics.

Back
Top Bottom