What's new

Why Bangladesh has left India far behind

1.25 Billion officially?
1.3 Billion unoffiially?
1.39 Billion according to neutral estimates?

What I don't get which figure do they use to calculate per capita income. Difference between 1st and 3rd figure would be more than 10% reducing 2000 dollars to 1800. Also, after contraction of 10% in economy due to covid would also decrease their per captia by anther 10% to 1620 dollars.
Per capita income is not decided by the government but UN agencies, and they keep their own data.
You can find India's data here- https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.TOTL?locations=IN
Please conserve those scant brain cells for some other day, our economy is not contracting by 10%.

Per capita income is not decided by the government but UN agencies, and they keep their own data.
You can find India's data here- https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.TOTL?locations=IN
Please conserve those scant brain cells for some other day, our economy is not contracting by 10%.

Yes, 10% is too conservative an estimation.. I reckon 15%... And covid isn't even more your yet.

Anyhow, the Indian economy is an internal consumption driven fluke..
1.25 Billion officially?
1.3 Billion unoffiially?

What I don't get which figure do they use to calculate per capita income. Difference between 1st and 3rd figure would be more than 10% reducing 2000 dollars to 1800. Also, after contraction of 10% in economy due to covid would also decrease their per captia by anther 10% to 1620 dollars.

India is simply too big and too undeveloped for authorities to maintain tabs on the population.. I wouldn't be surprised, If the real figure was 1.5B+.

Last edited:
Yes, 10% is too conservative an estimation.. I reckon 15%... And covid isn't even more your yet.

India is simply too big and too undeveloped for authorities to maintain tabs on the population.. I wouldn't be surprised, If the real figure was 1.5B+.
Make India Muslim again, after that bengalized the biharis to the assamese to the UP.
If Stalin a guy from georgia could be leader of the Russian, i believe my Queen Sheikh Hasina could be the Queen of Supa Powa India.

Make India Muslim again, after that bengalized the biharis to the assamese to the UP.
If Stalin a guy from georgia could be leader of the Russian, i believe my Queen Sheikh Hasina could be the Queen of Supa Powa India.

She'd probably do a better job than these Hindutva goats are doing now...

She's no Dr. Yunus, but not Modi either.... 8-)

Undeveloped????
1.25 Billion officially?
1.3 Billion unoffiially?

GDP per capita of India $2191 (Newly industrialized country
GDP per capita of Bangladesh $2122
GDP per capita of Pakistan $1260

I would partially agree. BD does not have a military confict with any of its neighbors. That is one of the reasons on why they can completely focus on their economy and human development. Nothing to take away from their own efforts.

Yes. But Pakistan's bad influence creeping in. Already some BD members are proposing economically inefficient decisions for political reasons. I suspect after Sheikh Hasina is gone, there is a big risk that BD will slip back into a morass from which they won't be able to pull themselves.

this hurts me the most , practically speaking no south asian country can break the middle income trap and reach even tier 2 european country level like spain , we have effed up our population to resourece ratio big time , what we can achieve is patches of developed world standards in various parts like we have in eastern china.
Eastern part of china is the most developed part of mainland china?

Happy Bangladesh is developing fast, that's where the healthy competition should be, in overall development and who can increase the well being of the common man. All the best to BD, may your economy rise even higher!

There was a time when it seemed that Bangladesh will fail like other Muslim Nations. However, Hasina administered Bangladesh in an exemplary manner and lead Bangladesh on the path of progress. Bangladesh has a potential to be a role model for many Muslim countries. It separated in 1971 and subsequent to that they have done great progress compared to Pakistan. I am very happy to see Bangladesh progressing. I wish them best of luck.

There was a time when it seemed that Bangladesh will fail like other Muslim Nations. However, Hasina administered Bangladesh in an exemplary manner and lead Bangladesh on the path of progress. Bangladesh has a potential to be a role model for many Muslim countries. It separated in 1971 and subsequent to that they have done great progress compared to Pakistan. I am very happy to see Bangladesh progressing. I wish them best of luck.
Agree on Hasina's leadership that worked to keep extremist elements away and keep bangladesh focused on development unlike you know who.
But more than that, more than any politician or political party, it's the people, it's their hard work that is bearing fruit and making the nation improve in all metrics and for that they have my respect.

Bangladeshis are forward thinking people, just don't undermine our faith/islamic identity. It becomes a real issue.

Yes. But Pakistan's bad influence creeping in. Already some BD members are proposing economically inefficient decisions for political reasons. I suspect after Sheikh Hasina is gone, there is a big risk that BD will slip back into a morass from which they won't be able to pull themselves.
Yes, its a real risk that after Sheikh Hasina, will the next leader be able to continue the same policies or will it lead to chaos.

Back
Top Bottom