• Israel

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Both

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • None

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You will start seeing India become closer to Iran when it becomes more independent as it gains confidence and as it's Economy improves. At the moment and in the past, they have succumb to American pressure but it looks like this is changing.

You will start seeing India become closer to Iran when it becomes more independent as it gains confidence and as it's Economy improves. At the moment and in the past, they have succumb to American pressure but it looks like this is changing.

i want to correct u mate...this is not called succumbing or lose of confidence...this is called political games

the question is what can iraq give to india in comparison to u.s........
and u know the answer........ nothing

if u r talking abt oil....saudi is the biggest oil supplier to india rather than iran....and that to at a subsidized rate

iran is no more than a playing card for india with which it negotiate deals with u.s

forget the nuclear deal....when the oil pipeline was in news

i want to correct u mate...this is not called succumbing or lose of confidence...this is called political games

the question is what can iraq give to india in comparison to u.s........
and u know the answer........ nothing

if u r talking abt oil....saudi is the biggest oil supplier to india rather than iran....and that to at a subsidized rate

iran is no more than a playing card for india with which it negotiate deals with u.s

forget the nuclear deal....when the oil pipeline was in news

Believe whatever you want but India doesn't have an independent foreign policy at the moment.

In the past, Israel used to have problems with Arabs, but friendly relations with Iran.

Ideally India would like to have good relations with all three parties - Israel, Arabs and Iran.

I think all three parties understand that none of India's core interests are in conflict with their own interests.

In the past, Israel used to have problems with Arabs, but friendly relations with Iran.

Ideally India would like to have good relations with all three parties - Israel, Arabs and Iran.

I think all three parties understand that none of India's core interests are in conflict with their own interests.

I don't think any of those three care enough about India's core interests.

I don't think any of those three care enough about India's core interests.

India does not expect them to care about Indian interests. The important thing is that there is no conflict, and in fact there is some commonality of interest in each case.

For example, with Israel, India has a good defense trade relationship.

For the Arabs, India is an energy market, and also an investment destination. India is supporting the Palestinians as much as possible without impacting Israeli security concerns. The fact that Saudis are no longer backing the Taliban is also a positive development.

For Iran also, India is an energy market, and there are common interests in Afghanistan.

There is also good scope for technology cooperation - this is an example:

Indo-Syrian cooperation in biotechnology

A joint work plan to boost bilateral cooperation in biotechnology research has been signed between India and Syria. The executive work plan was inked on 15 November 2003 on the occasion of the Indian Prime Minister Mr. A.B. Vajpayee’s visit to Syria. The agreement heralds a five-year road map for joint research in varied areas of biotechnology. The work plan engineers bilateral cooperation by increasing institutional collaboration for joint research activities as well as exchange of scientists and technical information. Mr. Vajpayee also announced a US$1 million grant for developing Syria’s National Biotechnology Centre. After inaugurating the centre, Mr. Vajpayee expressed that the grant would be used to establish a state-of-the-art facility.

Chronicle Pharmabiz, 20 November 2003

Last edited:

I think that is right, Bush had leverage for arm twisting India, it was gas vs nuke deal, while the Obama administration with their de-nuke-ing priorities and doling out goodies to Pakistan in WoT has freed India from becoming a US stooge, forcing it to consider if the honeymoon period is over and may be it's time to re-affirm friendships among old cultures.

India does not expect them to care about Indian interests. The important thing is that there is no conflict, and in fact there is some commonality of interest in each case.

For example, with Israel, India has a good defense trade relationship.

For the Arabs, India is an energy market, and also an investment destination. India is supporting the Palestinians as much as possible without impacting Israeli security concerns. The fact that Saudis are no longer backing the Taliban makes things easier.

For Iran also, India is an energy market, and there are common interests in Afghanistan.

There is also good scope for technology cooperation - this is an example:

I know but it is not enough to make those countries act in a way India wants, like the Chinese Pakistan relationship.

I think that is right, Bush had leverage for arm twisting India, it was gas vs nuke deal, while the Obama administration with their de-nuke-ing priorities and doling out goodies to Pakistan in WoT has freed India from becoming a US stooge, forcing it to consider if the honeymoon period is over and may be it's time to re-affirm friendships among old cultures.

One of Iran's main goals has been to make the world a multi polar place where America isn't supreme. It;s been doing this through the nuclear issue and playing off Russia, China and now to a smaller extent, India and Brazil against America. Now the BRICs meeting is going to be about Iran also. It's made the BRIC nations more confident against the US.

One of Iran's main goals has been to make the world a multi polar place where America isn't supreme. It;s been doing this through the nuclear issue and playing off Russia, China and now to a smaller extent, India and Brazil against America. Now the BRICs meeting is going to be about Iran also. It's made the BRIC nations more confident against the US.

Multi-polarity is a good idea. But until there are more countries willing to stand upto the US from a strong position, that will be just an idea.
Currently Iran/N Korea/Syria whoever has stood up to the US without the requisite wherewithal to ruffle American feathers has only found itself named on every pariah list in the world, besides being under the relentless assault of American news media and hollywood.

I can't understand why Iran has adopted such a confrontationalist approach to world leadership? If India/Russia/Brazil etc. where to match/surpass US in military and economic health would it not automatically lead to multi-polarity? Isn't it better to partner with the strong today so that tomorrow you can be strong?

Iran had nothing to do with 'playing' the BRICs off against the US.

China/Russia are using Iran as a chip against the US and the US just doesn't want Israel nuked.

I know but it is not enough to make those countries act in a way India wants, like the Chinese Pakistan relationship.

As far as China is concerned - there is huge $60 billion trade with India. That has not stopped China from arming Pakistan against India. But that trade relationship could be impacted as a consequence of China-Pak military links.

Any country that arms Pakistan against India will definitely see an impact on its ties with India. That is inevitable as long as Pakistan continues its policy of using non-state actors for strategic goals.

This is an issue not only between India and China, but also between India and the US.

Last edited:
Indias strategic partner is definately Pakistan.

Odd that its not mentioned in the poll.

Back
Top Bottom