What's new

Where Sukhois get their wings and talons

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
Where Sukhois get their wings and talons - The Hindu

28THSUKHOI-30_1865565f.jpg

In the melting mid-afternoon skies of Nasik an iron bird thunders over the 50-year-old MiG Complex of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. Below, in the large hangars scattered across the tree-dense campus, different stages of another beaky Sukhoi 30 fighter plane are being pieced together part-by its 43,007-parts.

Trudge to another hangar a few snaky lanes away and another Su-30 sits on a rig, innards unravelled, wings taken apart and the neural wires keeping their codes intact. The Su-30’s cycle of birth, life and re-birth happen in this one place. The Russian origin Sukhoi-30 — prefixed with the Indian mark of MKI — is called the backbone of the country’s air defence. Building, reconstructing and designing its different elements are all in a day’s work for the three main teams of the 5000-strong complex.

The 3,500-acre MiG Complex breathes ‘Su-30’, yet keeps the old fighter’s name. It assembles the fighter plane under a 2000 licence from Russia, senior officials at the complex told The Hindu during an invited visit to the Su-30 manufacturing facilities. The first lot of 50 Su-30s was bought. Of the 222 Su-30s to be built by HAL Nasik, 149 have flown out to Indian Air Force bases since 2004. The last delivery to the IAF is to be completed in 2018-19, said G.S.R. Prasad, senior executive of the aircraft manufacturing unit. For the remaining 72 planes, the production team is focussed on delivering 14-16 aircraft a year through four years.

In its 20-odd flying years Su-30 passes through the three arms of the complex — Manufacture, Repair & Overhaul, and Aircraft Upgrade Research & Design Centre.

It takes two to three months to assemble a Su-30. At one large ‘shop’, as we move past large grey titanium blocks and arcs from Russia laid on the large tables, we hear tales of how the precious, foot-thick chunks are tamed into a shapely wing or a fuselage ring a few millimetres thick. Then they are welded, wired, fastened, engined and eventually made into a whole mean war machine.

The Nasik facility also houses the certifying Regional Centre for Military Airworthiness. Once ready, the Su-30 is test flown nearby at the Air Force’s air field at Ozhar. On that day, five Su-30s waited on the tarmac for their turn.

Two planes sat bared on rigs at Repari & Overhaul. Now is the time to recharge the middle-aged first batch as they near 1,500 flight hours. It takes 15-24 months to pluck out and micro-inspect each part, return or replace it, and may be fit a new engine from the Koraput facility, said Prakash Joshi of Overhaul.

Over the years, the Indian content of Su-30 has been increasing to 60-70 per cent by sourcing of parts from industries in Nasik, Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai and Coimbatore. The AURDC keeps the plane’s eyes and ears — avionics — sharp with timely improvements, said R.P. Khapli from Design. The complex supports the 450-plus Russian-origin fighter and transport fleet. It is fitting the Su-30 with the BrahMos cruise missile for first testing in December.

Where Sukhois get their wings and talons - The Hindu

28THSUKHOI-30_1865565f.jpg

In the melting mid-afternoon skies of Nasik an iron bird thunders over the 50-year-old MiG Complex of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. Below, in the large hangars scattered across the tree-dense campus, different stages of another beaky Sukhoi 30 fighter plane are being pieced together part-by its 43,007-parts.

Trudge to another hangar a few snaky lanes away and another Su-30 sits on a rig, innards unravelled, wings taken apart and the neural wires keeping their codes intact. The Su-30’s cycle of birth, life and re-birth happen in this one place. The Russian origin Sukhoi-30 — prefixed with the Indian mark of MKI — is called the backbone of the country’s air defence. Building, reconstructing and designing its different elements are all in a day’s work for the three main teams of the 5000-strong complex.

The 3,500-acre MiG Complex breathes ‘Su-30’, yet keeps the old fighter’s name. It assembles the fighter plane under a 2000 licence from Russia, senior officials at the complex told The Hindu during an invited visit to the Su-30 manufacturing facilities. The first lot of 50 Su-30s was bought. Of the 222 Su-30s to be built by HAL Nasik, 149 have flown out to Indian Air Force bases since 2004. The last delivery to the IAF is to be completed in 2018-19, said G.S.R. Prasad, senior executive of the aircraft manufacturing unit. For the remaining 72 planes, the production team is focussed on delivering 14-16 aircraft a year through four years.

In its 20-odd flying years Su-30 passes through the three arms of the complex — Manufacture, Repair & Overhaul, and Aircraft Upgrade Research & Design Centre.

It takes two to three months to assemble a Su-30. At one large ‘shop’, as we move past large grey titanium blocks and arcs from Russia laid on the large tables, we hear tales of how the precious, foot-thick chunks are tamed into a shapely wing or a fuselage ring a few millimetres thick. Then they are welded, wired, fastened, engined and eventually made into a whole mean war machine.

The Nasik facility also houses the certifying Regional Centre for Military Airworthiness. Once ready, the Su-30 is test flown nearby at the Air Force’s air field at Ozhar. On that day, five Su-30s waited on the tarmac for their turn.

Two planes sat bared on rigs at Repari & Overhaul. Now is the time to recharge the middle-aged first batch as they near 1,500 flight hours. It takes 15-24 months to pluck out and micro-inspect each part, return or replace it, and may be fit a new engine from the Koraput facility, said Prakash Joshi of Overhaul.

Over the years, the Indian content of Su-30 has been increasing to 60-70 per cent by sourcing of parts from industries in Nasik, Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai and Coimbatore. The AURDC keeps the plane’s eyes and ears — avionics — sharp with timely improvements, said R.P. Khapli from Design. The complex supports the 450-plus Russian-origin fighter and transport fleet. It is fitting the Su-30 with the BrahMos cruise missile for first testing in December.

I am so getting wood seeing these babes in the air. Beauties who fight like beasts.

Why aren't they using moving line concept??
It helps lot in increasing output with best quality control

not for this kind of production, Assembly line concept normally used for mass production.....

so the media is talking about "from where is Mki gettings its wings and talons"

now im wondering what will be next on there "minds" ;)

Iyn.jpg

not for this kind of production, Assembly line concept normally used for mass production.....

Assembly line production method less to do with quantity you produce but more to do with how you optimize your processes and make better products.

We've been producing these birds for last 10+ years. If this not called mass production? Isn't there something we call process optimization to make is simple, visible and have best QA/ QC system in place?

Assembly line production method less to do with quantity you produce but more to do with how you optimize your processes and make better products.

We've been producing these birds for last 10+ years. If this not called mass production? Isn't there something we call process optimization to make is simple, visible and have best QA/ QC system in place?

Duration of production does not determine the type of production involved, but quantity does. These are batch produced, and their production processes too are continuously optimized. The numbers produced follow economics of scale, meaning that they are profit driven, and the minimum acceptable margins dictate that only a certain quantity be produced per year through a certain,usually close, production capacity.

Dear Sir,

The manufacturing or the production system that HAL Nasik Division employs is broadly referred as Flexible manufacturing systems. The image that you see in this and various other images floating on the internet is the from the Final Assembly where the Airframe is built at each station in different stations and in 4 different final stations the avionics, propulsion, Servos, are installed. the work is carried out in every possible orientation at almost all parts of the aircraft with engineers and technicians crawling all over. Automation is used in previous stages for orbital riveting, micro welding, flash squeezing. Also the work surface is a the prime realty in a flight hanger, and these are no 747's to bring in tricept robots to weld inside the frame.

As far as Final Assembly is concerned, the production system is optimal, and I am sure we have read the same books on manufacturing as you have. Engineers in HAL do not live in caves as is usually inferred on this forum.

Also other manufacturing systems are employed in HAL mig complex, such as the the Line Production system- with a very high output rate for aerospace fasteners. Along with that the adjoining hangars that houses CNC complex employs batch production system, as stamping machined are extremely complex and low consumption rate.

Now QA/QC systems are not as visual as you might think they are. Every production unit has end of the line testers, all stamping and Skin profiles are verified on CMM's, thorough PPAP's are conducted for every component that goes into aircraft.
Test stations and QC cells do not make for glaring nice pictures thus are never shown.

lastly if we could sit on our chairs and solve problems for manufacturing aircraft's, then we need to relook at ourselves, either we are severely underpaid, or we are oversimplifying a quite complex problem.

I think he was just expecting a picture like this

f353001.jpg

Dear Sir,

The manufacturing or the production system that HAL Nasik Division employs is broadly referred as Flexible manufacturing systems. The image that you see in this and various other images floating on the internet is the from the Final Assembly where the Airframe is built at each station in different stations and in 4 different final stations the avionics, propulsion, Servos, are installed. the work is carried out in every possible orientation at almost all parts of the aircraft with engineers and technicians crawling all over. Automation is used in previous stages for orbital riveting, micro welding, flash squeezing. Also the work surface is a the prime realty in a flight hanger, and these are no 747's to bring in tricept robots to weld inside the frame.

As far as Final Assembly is concerned, the production system is optimal, and I am sure we have read the same books on manufacturing as you have. Engineers in HAL do not live in caves as is usually inferred on this forum.

Also other manufacturing systems are employed in HAL mig complex, such as the the Line Production system- with a very high output rate for aerospace fasteners. Along with that the adjoining hangars that houses CNC complex employs batch production system, as stamping machined are extremely complex and low consumption rate.

Now QA/QC systems are not as visual as you might think they are. Every production unit has end of the line testers, all stamping and Skin profiles are verified on CMM's, thorough PPAP's are conducted for every component that goes into aircraft.
Test stations and QC cells do not make for glaring nice pictures thus are never shown.

lastly if we could sit on our chairs and solve problems for manufacturing aircraft's, then we need to relook at ourselves, either we are severely underpaid, or we are oversimplifying a quite complex problem.

Sandy I'm not here to offend you or any one. I've worked with HAL (as consultant) in past (1999~2001). So yes I might be bit biased.

I'm not in touch with them for a long time. I hope things have changed now. But back then HAL was no where near to be called state of art manufacturing and worst they (engrs and mgrs) weren't aware on many advance manufacturing tech/ process.

I hope things are better now. After all they are producing quite reliable products.

Last edited:
Sandy I'm not here to offend you or any one. I've worked with HAL (as consultant) in past (1999~2001). So yes I might be bit biased.

I'm not in touch with them for a long time. I hope things have changed now. But back then HAL was no where near to be called state of art manufacturing and worst they (engrs and mgrs) weren't aware on many advance manufacturing tech/ process.

I hope this are better now. After all they are producing quite reliable products.
I can assure you, things are much better, will just get better with time.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom