What's new

When coterminous Pakistan fought Alexander the Great and almost brought him down to his knees.

King Ambi sided with Alexander an invader and Hindu king Purushottam fought Alexander and almost defeated him.

Through out the Alexander 's conquest, Indian Emperors in Gangetic planes are helping Persians and Indian kings in Indus region.

The chariots used by Darius against Alexander in Gaugemela were sent by Indians in support of Persians.

Alexander almost lost the battle, saw lakhs of army waiting for him on Gangetic plains and decided to return to his home land.

A small Kingdom on the Indus almost managed to bring the mightiest and largest empire in it's time to it's knees. Unfortunately, the various kingdoms of the Indus were very fractured and weakened from constant warfare. Many of them joined Alexander and fought against their rivals. Had just a couple of them united to face this foreign invasion, the results would have been much different.

It is important to mention, that Porus was not the only hero; many tribes and Kingdoms held up in their forts and fought to the last man - unfortunately they have mostly been lost to history, and we do not know much about them.

alexander army was tired and worn out. they wanted to go home after 10 years of fighting. who wouldn't ?

Bro your people allied with Alexander, didn't fight him. I'm here to take care of wrong history. Look up map and where Porus kingdom is located and where Ambhi kingdom was.

No we fought with Porus against Alexander, we are spread throughout the region and especially the Salt Range. This is our country's history.

This is a good read. Excluding some Kaptaan remarks later tsk tsk. :D

Some points you might have missed if my learning is correct, most of the history of Alexander invasion of India was written in favor of Alexander the not so great after-all. Alexander had to pay 25 tons of gold to King Ambhika of Takshashila (Taxila) to help defeat Purushottama (Porus) of Paurava Dynasty. the battle was so fearsome that Alexander barely survived the onslaught.

As the Greek Historian Diodorus Siculus mentioned
"Upon this the elephants, applying to good use their prodigious size and strength, killed some of the enemy by trampling under their feet, and crushing their armor and their bones, while upon other they inflicted a terrible death, for they first lifted them aloft with their trunks, which they and twisted round their bodies and then dashed them down with great violence to the ground. Many others they deprived in a moment of life by goring then through and through with their tusks"

Here the inaccuracies starts, why would Alexander return the Kingdom after Paying a hefty sum to King Ambhika and return almost empty handed. Alexander also lost his beloved horse Bucephalus, killed by one of Purushottama's son, it is written as "known to excel all others for they are immortal. Poseidon gave them to my father Peleus, who in his turn gave them to me". Why would he spare a Kingdom which killed his beloved horse."
Berafulus.PNG

There is another theory again put forward by the historians that, his soldiers were tired of constant war which is not true, because the old soldiers were sent back with enough gold and slaves and new soldiers kept coming to fill in.

The exact reason may be, after defeating Purushottama, he realized he can't go any further with this, considering his health and coming Nanda empire, which is even stronger having 200000 foot soldiers, 6000 war elephants, 80000 cavalry, 8000 war chariots.

And to add something to the remarks made, as Ganga worshippers, the rulers who ruled in Pakistan at the time were all Ganga worshippers, the King Purushottam traces his dynasty back to Hastinapur in the Gagetic plains. They lost their land due to continuous floods, and to constant power tussle between the Mahajanapada's.

the process has already being started to Degrade, Disregard and Disown things which were either made by Mughal kings or their names are given to things..
1st Aurangzeb road, 2nd Akbar road and now taj mahal..
I have not heard anything about Akbar Road but Aurangzeb is pretty reviled in India. I am all for embracing our history and culture but being selective based on religion is not kosher. Now that even they are feeling the economic pains of haphazard policies, a lot of Bhakts have gone silent as well.

No we fought with Porus against Alexander, we are spread throughout the region and especially the Salt Range. This is our country's history.

Yes our country history but historically speaking Jhelum district ruler Ambhi allied with Alexander instead of fighting him. People who fought him were from Porus kingdom located between Chenab and Jhelum river, look at the map posted above. No need to make up fake history based on lies.

And to add something to the remarks made, as Ganga worshippers, the rulers who ruled in Pakistan at the time were all Ganga worshippers, the King Purushottam traces his dynasty back to Hastinapur in the Gagetic plains. They lost their land due to continuous floods, and to constant power tussle between the Mahajanapada's.

This thread isn’t about fictional maha bharat written by gangu telis. Next you will tell me about OIT.

Elephants were not really effective against the Macedonians who had encountered them before and had come up with various tactics and methods to take down these beasts.
Alexander never faced such fearsome battle. The Greek historian have descried the elephants are well trained and controlled. And they were battle hardened that, none of their actions were effective to take down elephants which teared through the battle formations. It got more and more angry as the soldiers attacked them, with the rider inflicting more and more damage with spear.
Elephants are not effective, but a taimed and well trained are effective, and are put to use since a long time. Many of the armed forces at the time had elephants. They were kept well fed knowing their strategic importance. And no, they are not very slow, they can easily outrun a human. So, you can imagine how a person can run when he wears all the armors. Moreover, elephants are well armored with plates covering the weak spots.

This thread isn’t about fictional maha bharat written by gangu telis. Next you will tell me about OIT.
Making a shoddy History that suits your narrative doesn't change the written facts at the time. You region was literally the Punching bag at the time which was under constant invasion. That's one reason why you never had a collective large Kingdom, while the Ganga's had strong Kingdoms away from the Hindukush ranges. Even the Genghis Khan couldn't penetrate Gangetic heartland.

King Purushottam (porus) didn't fall from sky to Indus region as you claim. And your History don't start with IVC then blank, then Porus again Blank and then Arabs.

Last edited:
I thought Pakistan came into existence in 1947
Please. Buy some spectacles. Buy a dictionary. Now read the darned thread title -

"Coterminous Pakistan"

*coterminous

kəʊˈtəːmɪnəs/
adjective
adjective: coterminous
having the same boundaries or extent in space, time, or meaning.

*And you get a negative for obviously ignoring the thread title and playing dumb. The history of coterminous Pakistan means the history of the geography or region or the area or the land or the peoples within the boundary that is presently occupied by Pakistan. It does not claim that the political state existed before 1947 as much as Indian state did not exit before 1947.

Last edited:
It seems there might have been a degeneration of civilization in the Frontier Province and Chitral from 300 BC to Middle Ages and concurrently an explosion of high culture in the plains of Punjab and Sindh in the same time...you see big castles, mosques in Lahore or Sindh...but Peshawar seems to have seen little building since the demise of the Kushanas..and that goes for rest of NWFP and Chitral as well....
Well during the early modern period ,My great grandfather restored the now famous Chitral fort Which is believed to have been built during the middle ages and subsequently destroyed ..
I have a documented family history going back almost half a millennia ,The reason for that is very simple.
Invaders often destroyed what was left of their enemies in the region and very little was spared during siege of cities in these areas.
808484464_2cdf8f79a8_z.jpg

This was built by my great great granfather ,Shah Nadir Raees ,The first of my family Mirraees.
In 2015 Alongside my cousin during the summer heat of July we sat some distance away from the fort ,The water was so cold you couldn't resist it for 5 minutes and it was in the middle of july.
The fort is built in such a strategic position nobody can lay siege to it by land throughout the year.
So yes ,Alongside the path to Chitral one can find quite few castles and other things in Dir district or elsewhere in Periods of late middle ages or modern history (French revolution) so you are quite right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well during the early modern period ,My great grandfather restored the now famous Chitral fort Which is believed to have been built during the middle ages and subsequently destroyed ..
I have a documented family history going back almost half a millennia ,The reason for that is very simple.
Invaders often destroyed what was left of their enemies in the region and very little was spared during siege of cities in these areas.
808484464_2cdf8f79a8_z.jpg

This was built by my great great granfather ,Shah Nadir Raees ,The first of my family Mirraees.
In 2015 Alongside my cousin during the summer heat of July we sat some distance away from the fort ,The water was so cold you couldn't resist it for 5 minutes and it was in the middle of july.
The fort is built in such a strategic position nobody can lay siege to it by land throughout the year.
So yes ,Alongside the path to Chitral one can find quite few castles and other things in Dir district or elsewhere in Periods of late middle ages or modern history (French revolution) so you are quite right.

Cannot thank you enough for this post...Your family history truly fascinating....This pic of yours along with the other mountain valley pic that @Kaptaan posted, truly captures the imposing Central Asian/Pamiri flavour of beauty of Northern Pakistan....It is a sad thing that Indians fail to understand just how diverse and utterly foreign some parts of Pakistan can be to the Indian mind...the other side of Sindh is veritably foreign country

But going by Alexander's accounts, each of these fortified mountain strongholds provided fierce and feisty opposition to his marching armies ----so their military and civilizational level were quite high for contemporary late Iron Age...

So what happened? I surmise the high IQ and high testosterone elite of the North and Frontier would go down to the plains of Punjab every second generation and establish their fiefs there and thereby constructing forts, embankments etc.....this continued till the Mughals swept in from Uzbekistan

Last edited:
Cannot thank you enough for this post...Your family history truly fascinating....This pic of yours along with the other mountain valley pic that @Kaptaan posted, truly captures the imposing Central Asian/Pamiri flavour of beauty of Northern Pakistan....It is a sad thing that Indians fail to understand just how diverse and utterly foreign some parts of Pakistan can be to the Indian mind...the other side of Sindh is veritably foreign country

But going by Alexander's accounts, each of these fortified mountain strongholds provided fierce and feisty opposition to his marching armies ----so their military and civilizational level were quite high for contemporary late Iron Age...

So what happened? I surmise the high IQ and high testosterone elite of the North and Frontier would go down to the plains of Punjab every second generation and establish their fiefs there and thereby constructing forts, embankments etc.....this continued till the Mughals swept in from Uzbekistan

Thank you :-) I must say I'm particularly proud of the fact many of my family members were active in philantrophy and we didn't practice feudalism like the supposed certain elite folks in chitral do nowadays.
Anyways The height of the Power in chitral was also during the rule of Nadir Raees ,whose empire stretched from badakshan corridor (from where our family migrated and ruled) in the middle ages eastern turkistan to all the way to Gilgit.
The contest was very much restricted to regional levels across these boundaries in coterminous Pakistan hence there was very little development in surrounding area....
Chitral was ruled by the archaemenid empire at the time of Alexander the Great and his campaigns against the persians and the locals practiced a very similar persian socio-religious lifestyle since the empire stretched all the way......

This is a famous Zoroastrian singer in Pakistan and she sings in a place where Zoroastrianism was practiced back when alexander invaded in 300bc at the time first persian empire later dissolved in 330bc.
@Mentee @Signalian bro check tis thread out.......... its awesome.:smitten::pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom