What's new

When coterminous Pakistan fought Alexander the Great and almost brought him down to his knees.

Sir Jhelum district was not part of Porus kingdom. Ambhi which ruled Jhelum district allied with Alexander. But your map of Porus Kingdom is correct which are coterminous (learned new word today) Gujrat and Mandi Bahauddin districts and in near future Kharian district after population census maybe. Confusion is because of river name and district are same.
Yes, thank you for that correction. The map is however correct. And the term coterminous allows us to use Pakistan retrospectively.

So if I say "Alexander invaded Pakistan" that could be challanged [Pakistan was not there pre 1947] by those who love to be pedantic because of their own agenda. However if I say "Alexander invaded coterminous Pakistan" that statement is above challange. So we can say the people of coterminous Pakistan fought valiantly against Alexander the Great but despite their efforts they were defeated.

So no more rubbish about "Oh there was no Pakistan" etc etc. The word "coterminous" provides us a way out of the pedantic knot and is perfect immunity to the rubbish we get from members of a certain country.

We halted his expansion. His own troops threatened to launch a mutiny if they didn't turn back and leave the dreaded Indus.

However, it's distasteful to claim this as Pakistanis vs Greeks. Many Pakistanis are descended from the Greeks.

Yes, thank you for that correction. The map is however correct. And the term coterminous allows us to use Pakistan retrospectively.

So if I say "Alexander invaded Pakistan" that could be challanged [Pakistan was not there pre 1947] by those who love to be pedantic because of their own agenda. However if I say "Alexander invaded coterminous Pakistan" that statement is above challange. So we can say the people of coterminous Pakistan fought valiantly against Alexander the Great but despite their efforts they were defeated.

So no more rubbish about "Oh there was no Pakistan" etc etc. The word "coterminous" provides us a way out of the pedantic knot and is perfect immunity to the rubbish we get from members of a certain country.
Beautiful. Beautiful I say. Bravo!

I always disliked it when they would say Pakistan did not exist back then as if Bharat (as a state) existed. My usual challenge would be did Italy exist in the time of Galileo or Leonardo but both are considered Italians?
But your stance is more appropriate.

Beautiful. Beautiful I say. Bravo!

I always disliked it when they would say Pakistan did not exist back then as if Bharat (as a state) existed. My usual challenge would be did Italy exist in the time of Galileo or Leonardo but both are considered Italians?But your stance is more appropriate.
Well I have had my lights punched out by Indians who drive you crazy like little children with their infantile "Pakistan did not exist before 1947" when they know neither did India. It came into existence the same day as Pakistan. Then they play on the "India" as in sub-continent as way to thieve our heritage. That is as absurd as a new country called "Asia" using that term to own the heritage of the entire continent of Asia. Or as obsurd as Romania telling Italians they have no claim on Roman empire - because Italy did not exist then and their name is Roman-ia. Of course the problem is you can't spend hours playing awkward games with people who are intentionally being abtuse. So therefore the term "coterminous" provides one bullet for one mothafuka of annoyance.

So from now on use Pakistan for events even going back 10,000 or hell even 1 million years ago. Just remember use the prefix "coterminous". It will save you having to have long drawn out discussion with some deluded Indian who thinks the name "Indian" is a licence to claim all of South Asian history. Even when it had sweet f**k to do with him.

Last edited:
My apologies. I had you for another obtuse irritant. History can be a facinating subject.
Indeed it is and I come here only to learn, read, interact and observe. No apology needed - I've noticed a lot of friction between members - but I am not here to drive any hyper nationalist narrative. I hope I don't disrespect your country or its history.

are there anymore wild elephants in Pakistan? great post...pre-islamic History of Pakistan
Pakistan is not a natural habitat to elephants. It is too dry. Elephants need too much pasture and water to be native to Pakistan. Without doubt the elephants would have been traded or brought from the east - the moist Ganga Basin.

"Keeping a body that massive moving requires many football-fields-full of vegetation. It also takes huge amounts of water. Wild elephants spend most of their time either looking for food or eating it once they find it.
Elephants can drink as much as 50 gallons (~190 liters) of water in a single day. Because they drink so often and so much, in the wild they are never far from water, though they may live in a variety of habitats, from thick jungle to open savannas."

Despite them being exotic to Indus they could have been kept in limited numbers by royalty adjacent to major rivers.

Asia%20Range%20Map-showing%20population%20numbers%20and%20density%20for%20Elephant%20Tag.png

Just name a missile on Puru which will be great tribute to him.
In our country a few days ago, a Chief Minister was claiming that we should not promote the Taj Mahal as much as we do. And a lot of Indians cheered. Perhaps we must also embrace our history and our monuments and figures with fervor. If we are selective, can we really blame others?

Pakistan is not a natural habitat to elephants. It is too dry. Elephants need too much pasture and water to be native to Pakistan. Without doubt the elephants would have been traded or brought from the east - the moist Ganga Basin.

"Keeping a body that massive moving requires many football-fields-full of vegetation. It also takes huge amounts of water. Wild elephants spend most of their time either looking for food or eating it once they find it.
Elephants can drink as much as 50 gallons (~190 liters) of water in a single day. Because they drink so often and so much, in the wild they are never far from water, though they may live in a variety of habitats, from thick jungle to open savannas."

Despite them being exototic to Indus they could have been kept in limited numbers by royalty adjacent to major rivers.

Are you in a position to do a write-up of pros and cons of Elephants in warfare? I wonder why didnot Porous use camels? Did the dromedary camel still not arrive there or was it still not bred to perfection for warfare purposes? Quite frankly Porous should have stocked up on more cavalry...if the Bactrian/Sogdian people had not accompanied Alexander, he would have been basically toast stuck on the ivory teeth of Porous' elephants

This thread will create the greatest buthurtt of this week..............................
Our History is very Rich ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Pakistan , the land of the civilizations , The land of Indus ,,,,,,,
Heaters going to hate let them ................

Back
Top Bottom