What's new

Whats Holding Pakistan Together?

@DESERT FIGHTER - Who is the gentleman in the photograph above ? :what:

The Pakistani Spirit..

sochi-olympics.jpg

By AFP / PPI
Published: February 5, 2014

ISLAMABAD:
As a young boy, Mohammad Karim taught himself to speed over the snowy slopes of northern Pakistan on home-made skis. Now he is his country’s sole representative at the Winter Olympics.

52f20648c21d3.jpg

Growing up among some of the world’s highest mountains in the northern region of Gilgit-Baltistan, Karim caught the skiing bug early — albeit with none of the expensive kit that many Western skiers grow up with.

“I started skiing at the age of four years on wooden skis made by my uncle. Our schools were closed in the winter and skiing was the only way to spend our holidays,” he told AFP.

“We made skis ourselves and went skiing on local slopes, then later the air force organised a competition in which we learnt more and then started this profession.”

Pakistan’s ski federation is run by the air force, which stages annual competitions to recruit new talent, and it was at one of these that Karim was spotted.

Official support is important as Pakistan’s winter sports scene has been badly hit by a campaign of violence from Taliban insurgents.
In June last year 10 foreign mountaineers were massacred at the foot of the country’s second-highest peak.

As Karim’s skills progressed, in 2006 the federation paid for him to go abroad for training.

“I trained in Japan and Austria and competed in various regional and continental events which helped me mature as a skier,” he said.
Exposure to other talented skiers from around the world — instead of the boys of his village — opened Karim’s eyes to the idea of competing at international level.

“When I went to Japan for the first time in 2006 I saw many other skiers and I thought ‘I can do this’,” he said.

“Since then it was my dream to work hard and to participate in a major event.”

Now his sights are set on a top 50 finish in the giant slalom.
“I can’t wait to ski on the Sochi snow,” he said.

“I know it will be tough among the world’s best but I have practised hard and I will do my best to leave my mark at the highest level.”

Karim will be only the second Pakistani ever to compete at the winter Games following his friend Mohammad Abbas, who finished 79th in the men’s giant slalom in the 2010 Games in Vancouver.

“I was immensely happy that I was selected, especially because it is such a major event,” he said.

“I did a lot of training and physical exercise and God willing I will come below 50.”

A respectable show in Russia will raise the profile of the sport in Pakistan and, Karim hopes, encourage the government to improve the meagre facilities for skiing.

The Austrian government helped pay for a ski resort in the northwestern Swat valley in the 1980s, but the facilities were torched by the Taliban in 2008.

The air force recently built a chairlift in Karim’s home area and he urged the government to do more.

“The roads are unpaved. If the roads are paved and more people have access to the region then this game (skiing) will flourish,” he said.

Cricket-mad Pakistan may not be glued to its TV screens during Sochi. But Karim’s parents will be praying their son does the country proud.

On the Sochi flight

On Wednesday, Karim left for Sochi, Russia to participate in the Winter Olympics.

Karim is the only Pakistani player participating in giant Slalom event.

This event is scheduled to take place from February 7 to 23, in Sochi, Russia. As many as 98 events in 15 winter sport disciplines will be held during the Winter Olympics.

Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force, Air Chief Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt, who is also the Patron-in-Chief of Ski Federation of Pakistan (SFP) expressed his best wishes for the young skier and hoped that he would perform better in the winter Olympics and bring laurels to the nation.

It is worth mentioning that Muhammad Abbas (Pakistan Air Force) was the first Pakistani Skier to represent the country in 2010 Winter Olympics.

Olympics: A Pakistani’s journey from home-made skis to Sochi – The Express Tribune
Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

I was born in the 90s... when we were sanctioned... (well i didnt know abt any of tht crap when i was a kid)... it was all hunky dorrry... or should i say cool... till shit hit the fan... 2005 massive earthquake... floods, red mosque n the never ending terrorism... n other shit... well **** that... still dont give a shit.. Pretty fuckin happy anyways.. :lol:

In short...
People like him:

View attachment 17486

Yeah hes a doctor... in "you know where"

I'm talking about this gentleman ! :)

Am I the only one who is frustrated every time Pakistan's Muslim Identity is given as the raison detre of Pakistan's Ultimate Demise ?

It's just a forum; don't take it so seriously.

To be a self-proclaimed liberal in Pakistan, all you have to do is to bash Islam. It's the hottest selling item in the media these days. Basically, as long as you parrot Western and Indian propaganda, and distance yourself from the unwashed masses of Pakistan, you can pat yourself on the back as a "liberal". These "liberals" continually ignore the points you raised that the core cancer at the heart of Pakistan is the "feudal-robber baron-military" alliance that continually reaffirms the medieval societal structure in Pakistan. Religious extremism is only a tool in their agenda.

Worse, many of these "liberals" defend these feudals and robber barons, and that tells you right there why Pakistan is stuck in this morass. Four years form now, these same "liberals" will be chanting for Bilawal, and then for Nawaaz, and so on. Meanwhile, even Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, let alone India, will overtake Pakistan in the economic race.

It's just a forum; don't take it so seriously.

To be a self-proclaimed liberal in Pakistan, all you have to do is to bash Islam. It's the hottest selling item in the media these days. Basically, as long as you parrot Western and Indian propaganda, and distance yourself from the unwashed masses of Pakistan, you can pat yourself on the back as a "liberal". These "liberals" continually ignore the points you raised that the core cancer at the heart of Pakistan is the "feudal-robber baron-military" alliance that continually reaffirms the medieval societal structure in Pakistan. Religious extremism is only a tool in their agenda.

Worse, many of these "liberals" defend these feudals and robber barons, and that tells you right there why Pakistan is stuck in this morass. Four years form now, these same "liberals" will be chanting for Bilawal, and then for Nawaaz, and so on. Meanwhile, even Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, let alone India, will overtake Pakistan in the economic race.
One could argue that Pakistan itself is a creation to protect the interests and lands of these feudal - robber- baron alliance and that Islam was a tool fed to the masses to achieve that.

And that today's Pakistanis bought that hook, line and sinker.

One could argue that Pakistan itself is a creation to protect the interests and lands of these feudal - robber- baron alliance and that Islam was a tool fed to the masses to achieve that.

And that today's Pakistanis bought that hook, line and sinker.

I am not even concerned with that proposition -- true or not -- because it is not relevant any more.

Whatever the reasons may have been at the time, it is now 70 odd years since then, and we must plan for the future.

(There is a theory that America was founded by the Puritans, not to promote religious freedom, but to restrict it because the Puritans thought England was too permissive. Regardless, subsequent generations of Americans decided what they wanted the country to represent.)

I am not even concerned with that proposition -- true or not -- because it is not relevant any more.

Whatever the reasons may have been at the time, it is now 70 odd years since then, and we must plan for the future.

(There is a theory that America was founded by the Puritans, not to promote religious freedom, but to restrict it because the Puritans thought England was too permissive. Regardless, subsequent generations of Americans decided what they wanted the country to represent.)
Well pointed out.
My contention was that these same interests have been continuing for over 65 years now. Simply saying - break these interests - will not break them.

Atleast today, one can certainly point out that they use Islam as a tool to keep their powers and wealth intact. Pakistani's will have to first break through the self imposed barrier of mullah's and extremism to get to that.

they use Islam as a tool to keep their powers and wealth intact.

That's our point.

No one disagrees that religious extremism is a problem in Pakistan, but we are saying that is only a symptom of a deeper problem.

Do we go after the symptom, or do we address the root causes?
You are right that the root cancer is deeply entrenched and extremely powerful, but that's all the more reason to focus on it.

In fact, it is precisely the educated liberals who should be focusing on these root causes, which makes their silence -- or even outright cheerleading for the feudal/robber baron status quo -- so disingenuous.

Last edited:
Well pointed out.
My contention was that these same interests have been continuing for over 65 years now. Simply saying - break these interests - will not break them.

Atleast today, one can certainly point out that they use Islam as a tool to keep their powers and wealth intact. Pakistani's will have to first break through the self imposed barrier of mullah's and extremism to get to that.

That is the main reason we only pay lip service to education, for it will open up minds to think. We do not want that at all! :D

That's our point.

No one disagrees that religious extremism is a problem in Pakistan, but we are saying that is only a symptom of a deeper problem.

Do we go after the symptom, or do we address the root causes?
You are right that the root cancer is deeply entrenched and extremely powerful, but that's all the more reason to focus on it.

In fact, it is precisely the educated liberals who should be focusing on these root causes, which makes their silence -- or even outright cheerleading for the feudal/robber baron status quo -- so disingenuous.
1. How do you reach the feudals and barons and the others without breaking through the barrier of Islam?
After all, that is what they wrap themselves with to protect themselves.

2. Since when did educated Liberals start cheerleading for this alliance? AFAIK, from reading Pakistani columns, is that they are against anything unconstitutional.

1. How do you reach the feudals and barons and the others without breaking through the barrier of Islam?
After all, that is what they wrap themselves with to protect themselves.

The people of Pakistan have suffered enough through abuse of religion, and it would be unfair to use religion as a tool any further.

Since both the military and the media are already in cahoots with the ruling elite, the only hope is that the middle class, led by a capable leader, can opt for change. But the middle class will have to wean themselves off the income tax holiday which the ruling elite offers as a bribe to maintain the status quo.

The middle class has to realize that, if they want a First World country, they will need to start paying up First World taxes. Once they start paying up, accountability and governance will follow for they will demand it. As long as almost no one pays income tax, no one will seriously care about accountability and governance, and those concepts will remain little more than chit-chat topics at social gatherings.

2. Since when did educated Liberals start cheerleading for this alliance? AFAIK, from reading Pakistani columns, is that they are against anything unconstitutional.

The same people who go on and on about extremism, on this forum and in the media, then turn around and support Bilawal or Nawaaz Sharif. When someone proposed reforming the income tax system, some of the biggest howls came from the Pakistani media.

All this hand-wringing about extremism and constitutionality is idle talk for ratings and attention.

That is a mystery, one thing that you cannot state and yet state? Are we talking a religious factor here.. some unforseen power of god?

Blood of 6 million Muhajirs spilled during partition is what the mysterious power keeping us together. If blood spilled, hardships faced during Migration towards Madina were later rewarded by God by bringing Mecca under Muslim influence than why not Sub continent muslim blood would be rewarded such a thing?

What one must remember about the divine power is that there is a limit to that patience it has. After all, there are various accounts of what happened to the people of Israel when they strayed.. shall we forget those lessons?

But Those pack of jackals were regularly led by a long line of lions (*prophets") and instead of putting their trust on lion, they tried to follow their own path of succession. Hence they got what they deserved

While Pakistan after the death Jinnah, isn't led by any lion, we are still a nation of lions ruled by jackals. So your analogy has a logical fallacy

Last edited:
While Pakistan after the death Jinnah, isn't led by any lion, we are still a nation of lions ruled by jackals. So your analogy has a logical fallacy
You seem to be trying to base logic on your assumption that Pakistanis are "lions" and not "jackals" or "sheep".. I am at a loss for words as to how your logic on lions is more sound than the idea that our nation is full of sheep. Perhaps you are in fallacy?

Back
Top Bottom