What's new

Whats Holding Pakistan Together?

You seem to be trying to base logic on your assumption that Pakistanis are "lions" and not "jackals" or "sheep".. I am at a loss for words as to how your logic on lions is more sound than the idea that our nation is full of sheep. Perhaps you are in fallacy?

So, in your opinion, what do you think is holding the nation together.

Although in this case I concur with @Armstrong, a lot of journos and thinkers equate the Islamic identity of the population with the possible and impending demise of the nation, throwing nuance to the wind in such a manner is a bad idea. Islamic extremism among many other malaise (some common even across the fence and some not) put together may threaten the health and existence of the nation but then as the saying goes, "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." I think people need to stop conflating piety/devoutness with extremism, you can be perfectly devout without being a fundoo, forgetting that and wording arguments in a manner which paint any devout Muslim as a potential ticking time bomb for the state of Pakistan is a disservice to rational and cogent thinking. One can call for a more inclusive criterion for national identity than a singular religion and one can deal with the more complex questions of who is a Muslim and what not (sects/factions yada yada) but the core assertion that an emphasis on Islam itself will sink the nation is a bad one, its the particulars of said emphasis which matters- to wit:- If you end up with a society which religiously believes in the diktat "to kill one man is to kill all of humanity" then I seriously doubt it would be a bad thing for the nation as a whole, on the other hand if you end up with a vast percentage of the populace which interprets their religious duty to be to spread their religion through forced conversions and kill all whom they perceive to be kaffirs or less than adequately pious then your nation is in deep and best of luck to you.

So, in your opinion, what do you think is holding the nation together.

Although in this case I concur with @Armstrong,Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." I think people need to stop conflating piety/devoutness with extremism, you can be perfectly devout without being a fundoo, forgetting that and wording arguments in a manner which paint any devout Muslim as a potential ticking time bomb for the state of Pakistan is a disservice to rational and cogent thinking. .

And that detective, is the right question. The problem here is that the educated(in religious AND wordly matters) devout who are not fundoos essentially are trying to tone down the image.. yet the issues the fundoos use are not much different from what the devout preach. This fuzzy line is what keeps the rest of the less-educated(in both religion and world) confused. A lot of the devout people stick to an ingrained devoutness based on he said(or she said in some cases) rather than looking it up themselves. The result is that it only takes one fundoo to ruin a whole flock of devoutees( like the pun?? :p:). One could propose that the Saudi method of regulating religion be used.. but that too has its drawbacks. The simple reality is that the way to ward of Fundoism is to focus on the teachings of those initial scholars and preachers that came into the land. This does not refer to just Sufism but early teachers.. they knew the land and the people.. and exactly where and how to have the locals practice religion in their lives. more importantly, their concepts of pan-Islamism were based on a greater emphasis on spiritual matters whilst focusing on humanitarian ideals rather than purely militant ones. However, another argument is that these things already exist and the question of fundoos is more to do with economic deprivation and perception of being left out of the prize. The old problem of the less fortunate being attacked by the lesser fortunate.
So , perhaps the issue is not with the baby and the bathwater but rather whether the water is full of maggots and other likes that have turned this baby into a wailing , screaming creature.

Again, these are differing narratives...and I for one am not feeling connected enough to the situation to give any coherent analysis. Except agreeing with what I see is a premise in your post.. Islam is not the problem,Pakistani Muslims are.

After the Mrs. @Oscar fiasco when the Nordic Beauty he was dating during his time in London, turned him down; our boy hasn't been the same ! :(

He doesn't even entertain my racist posts anymore ! :cray:

I even invited him to a lecture delivered by me on Dating Women 101 but he kept ogling at the lads & so I had to ask him to leave ! :o:

Nordic my foot.. she was of your PIND!!.. You are fault.. and shall be punished..

however , lets keep such discussions off this thread.. naswarland is another matter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom