What's new

Whatever

Yes man.
Go ahead

I did not want to derail their blasphemy thread. Seriously such threads reaffirms my love for India and Indians. All Indians.

So I thought I would reply to your post here.

India is polarized now. Maybe permanently. You may not see it in Germany. But it is.

Regardless of whether the BJP comes back to power or not, there are now basically two groups of Indians.

Hindus who want a Hindu India.

And the rest.

MANY of the rest voted for the BJP in the last elections. Because they believed what they were going to get was a proven leader, a clean leader, a guy good with money and development, someone different to the hugely corrupt Congress, and someone who led a movement of cultural Hindutva. Something they had waxed eloquent about on their manifestos and official websites and social media and mainstream news for years leading up to 2014.

Now today as we draw to the close of 2018 and move towards election year again, there is no doubt left in anyone's mind about what the Sangh and the BJP and all like-minded factions and organizations want.

And the rest in terms of the performance and results and what we got versus what we hoped for is also pretty clear to everyone else.

Now "the rest" are not a homogeneous group either. No politically, nor ideologically. Not in terms of faith or caste or language or food habits or color or ethnicity or region or state. They are a hugely disparate bunch of Indians.

They are only going to be united in 2019 by one thing, and one thing only.

Not BJP. Not the Sangh. Not Hindutva.

There will be no shades of grey.

You will either be for or against.

You are for. I am the rest.

The choices are now clear. Crystallized pretty nicely. Which is why I believe the past 5 years was not a total waste for India. It was a huge jump in our learning curve.

Hope that explains.

@Robinhood Pandey @ranjeet @Soumitra @jbgt90 @Nilu Pule @manlion @takeiteasy @Roybot @baajey @SoulSpokesman @Shankranthi @jamahir @AfrazulMandal @KapitaanAli @Joe Shearer @Srinivas @paritosh @halupridol @Skull and Bones @SOUTHie @Gadkari

Cheers, Doc

Last edited:
I did not want to derail their blasphemy thread. Seriously such threads reaffirms my love for India and Indians. All Indians.

India is polarized now. Maybe permanently. You may not see it in Germany. But it is.

Regardless of whether the BJP comes back to power or not, there are now basically two groups of Indians.

And the rest.

MANY of the rest voted for the BJP in the last elections. Because they believed what they were going to get was a proven leader, a clean leader, a guy good with money and development, someone different to the hugely corrupt Congress, and someone who led a movement of cultural Hindutva. Something they had waxed eloquent about on their manifestos and official websites and social media and mainstream news for years leading up to 2014.

Now today as we draw to the close of 2018 and move towards election year again, there is no doubt left in anyone's mind about what the Sangh and the BJP and all like-minded factions and organizations want.

And the rest in terms of the performance and results and what we got versus what we hoped for is also pretty clear to everyone else.

Now "the rest" are not a homogeneous group either. No politically, nor ideologically. Not in terms of faith or caste or language or food habits or color or ethnicity or region or state. They are a hugely disparate bunch of Indians.

The choices are now clear. Crystallized pretty nicely. Which is why I believe the past 5 years was not a total waste for India. It was a huge jump in our learning curve.

Hope that explains.

@Robinhood Pandey @ranjeet @Soumitra @jbgt90 @Nilu Pule @manlion @takeiteasy @Roybot @baajey @SoulSpokesman @Shankranthi @jamahir @AfrazulMandal @KapitaanAli @Joe Shearer @Srinivas @paritosh @halupridol @Skull and Bones @SOUTHie

Cheers, Doc

hmm, interesting take on the current current politics in India.

I do not completely disagree with you though.

The way I see it BJP supporters has a mix of a lot of different people.
1. Nationalists
2. Hindu nationalists
3. non Yadav OBC's
4. Hindu Dalits
5. They have added few percentage of voters with few schemes and positions on issues

RSS though is a different animal. They are not like BJP and are extremely disciplined and structured. In spite of it being THE largest organization in the world, there are hardly any leaks. It's not because RSS has complete control but because that's the way Sangh functions.
There are no half measures with Sanghis.
Contrary to popular belief, Sangh has a number of Atheists. Must be hard pill to swallow for a lot of folks but that the truth. What they also have though is a much larger number of Hindus for obvious reasons.
The Sangh more importantly does not have a caste structure, by design.

Now coming to the politics of it, while your observation is accurate, I am afraid your premise is way off the mark.
Problem I have is with your starting point - which from post I believe is 2014.
For people like me, it's not 2014 but goes back a thousand years.
For many it goes back to independence.
For some it goes to the state of Kashmiri Hindus & how muslims, being in majority in ONE STATE, wiped out Hindus altogether. And how no one seems to care.
For some it's about how Indian govt controls Hindu temples & uses Hindu money for govt activities. We also see how Christians and muslims are appointed to Hindu temple boards.

I can go on about the reasons,

But the point is, you got your year wrong. It's not 2014.

BUT 2014 is an important year.
It is a year when after 1200 years India has truly had a "Hindu" govt in power.
If I have to give a context, imagine you regaining your home land for Parsis where YOU are in power.

Imagine where you had a chance to right the historical wrongs done to Parsis.
Now, Imagine how you would go about protecting Parsis so that history does not repeat itself AGAIN.

I am not justifying the random acts of insanity that happen now and then,
but they are just that, random acts of insanity. A Hindu father of a girl who seems his daughter with a muslim boy, a farmer from rural UP who for decades had been under the thumb of Cattle mafia, unable to do anything & living with that impotence.....
The reasons many....

And BJP coming to power gave some of these sections a backer to lash out and they did lash out.

The worst thing successive govts since independence did was to mask the cruelty of Mughals against hindus.
we all know the Mughal history, yet we are lied about Akbar the Great, Tipu the freedom fighter & how great Mughals were etc.
This in spite of the genocide committed against Hindus & later the Sikhs which is well recorded.
What's worse, the same govt managed to make normal Hindu feel guilty even pointing to this - It's not decent to point to History and let every one know how millions of Hindus were butchered.

Imagine Jews being made to feel ashamed for pointing that Hitler committed genocide on them!!

We Hindus were actually made to feel ashamed to even point to what happened to us.

I can go on.

But a request, re-adjust your analysis not from 2014 but from 1947.

Nitin Gadkari’s candid confession on Modi’s tall election promises leaves BJP red-faced

In the viral video, Gadkari is heard speaking to a Marathi channel, “We were very confident that we can never come to power. So our people suggested us to make tall promises. If we don’t come to the power, we won’t be responsible anyways. Now people remind us of our promises…we just laugh and move on.”

http://www.jantakareporter.com/indi...lection-promises-leaves-bjp-red-faced/212270/

And the rest.

Hope that explains.

@Robinhood Pandey @ranjeet @Soumitra @jbgt90 @Nilu Pule @manlion @takeiteasy @Roybot @baajey @SoulSpokesman @Shankranthi @jamahir @AfrazulMandal @KapitaanAli @Joe Shearer @Srinivas @paritosh @halupridol @Skull and Bones @SOUTHie

Cheers, Doc
@pothead has given a brilliant reply to your points.

I will just add one more thing

Did at any point of time in the run up to the 2014 election BJP say that they will NOT follow a Hindu Nationalist Hindutva agenda? Did they say they will not work on cow protection or banning triple talaq? (they may have said that they wanted UCC but everyone and their dog knew that it was ending triple talaq and polygamy)

If knowing this, people voted for BJP means either 2 things - One they supported these agendas of BJP
or they were fedup with the congress and wanted a change and did not care much about hindutva one way or the other.

The first group will continue to be BJP supporters because no one else is there. The congress has thoroughly exposed its "secularism" many times. The less said about regional parties the better. Will Mullah Mulayam or Mamata Begum or Owaisi care about the Hindu issues. the answer is clearly no

As for the second group they knew this about BJP but still supported it. I believe that they will continue to support BJP as long as their hatred for corruption is less than the hatred for Hindutva. Many of them may also be converted to Hindutva.

I will give you a prime example. Why is that for decades JNU is a leftist bastion? Every year new students come but how is it that majority are leftists? My understanding is that because the environment there is left wing within a short amount of time the centerist becomes a leftist.

Now take this analogy on a national level. 20 states are right leaning, the media houses with the highest TRPs are right leaning, The social media is also approx 60:40 right leaning. All this will influence the centerist to also become right leaning. Once he does that he becomes a BJP voter.

hmm, interesting take on the current current politics in India.

I do not completely disagree with you though.

The way I see it BJP supporters has a mix of a lot of different people.
1. Nationalists
2. Hindu nationalists
3. non Yadav OBC's
4. Hindu Dalits
5. They have added few percentage of voters with few schemes and positions on issues

RSS though is a different animal. They are not like BJP and are extremely disciplined and structured. In spite of it being THE largest organization in the world, there are hardly any leaks. It's not because RSS has complete control but because that's the way Sangh functions.
There are no half measures with Sanghis.
Contrary to popular belief, Sangh has a number of Atheists. Must be hard pill to swallow for a lot of folks but that the truth. What they also have though is a much larger number of Hindus for obvious reasons.
The Sangh more importantly does not have a caste structure, by design.

Now coming to the politics of it, while your observation is accurate, I am afraid your premise is way off the mark.
Problem I have is with your starting point - which from post I believe is 2014.
For people like me, it's not 2014 but goes back a thousand years.
For many it goes back to independence.
For some it goes to the state of Kashmiri Hindus & how muslims, being in majority in ONE STATE, wiped out Hindus altogether. And how no one seems to care.
For some it's about how Indian govt controls Hindu temples & uses Hindu money for govt activities. We also see how Christians and muslims are appointed to Hindu temple boards.

I can go on about the reasons,

But the point is, you got your year wrong. It's not 2014.

BUT 2014 is an important year.
It is a year when after 1200 years India has truly had a "Hindu" govt in power.
If I have to give a context, imagine you regaining your home land for Parsis where YOU are in power.

Imagine where you had a chance to right the historical wrongs done to Parsis.
Now, Imagine how you would go about protecting Parsis so that history does not repeat itself AGAIN.

I am not justifying the random acts of insanity that happen now and then,
but they are just that, random acts of insanity. A Hindu father of a girl who seems his daughter with a muslim boy, a farmer from rural UP who for decades had been under the thumb of Cattle mafia, unable to do anything & living with that impotence.....
The reasons many....

And BJP coming to power gave some of these sections a backer to lash out and they did lash out.

The worst thing successive govts since independence did was to mask the cruelty of Mughals against hindus.
we all know the Mughal history, yet we are lied about Akbar the Great, Tipu the freedom fighter & how great Mughals were etc.
This in spite of the genocide committed against Hindus & later the Sikhs which is well recorded.
What's worse, the same govt managed to make normal Hindu feel guilty even pointing to this - It's not decent to point to History and let every one know how millions of Hindus were butchered.

Imagine Jews being made to feel ashamed for pointing that Hitler committed genocide on them!!

We Hindus were actually made to feel ashamed to even point to what happened to us.

I can go on.

But a request, re-adjust your analysis not from 2014 but from 1947.

I was not putting the starting point at 2014 at all. I'm bigly in the clash of civilizations.

And I do agree 100% on what 2014 meant to you guys.

I do not know if it is lost on the Pakistanis. I'm sure it is not lost on our Muslims.

Simply put, there is no possibility any longer, BJP or no BJP, of something like a Kashmir ever remaining localised.

I do most definitely NOT agree with the "catharsis" theory. Or the "random" theory.

We are watching the fascist Hindutvaisation of the Indian state.

We have the wrong kind of Hindus in power.

And they've not gone mad. Not now. They've been mad for over a century and chaffing at the bit.

What's also clear is that it is following the Pakistani script. And the rest of us are the Indian non-Sunnis.

And painted over that is the huge overarching racial cleavage of north and south and the class war that's at our doorstep.

Cheers, Doc

We are watching the fascist Hindutvaisation of the Indian state.

We have the wrong kind of Hindus in power.

Let us assume you are right.

Let me ask you this, would that be a bad thing?
And more importantly would you blame Hindus, the wrong kind of Hindus who have seen first hand what happens to Hindus in one state where muslims were in majority?

There is a Hindutva govt in India for past 4+ years, let me ask you, what's the worst thing that has happened?
Let me be more precise.

What's the worst thing that has happened to Parsis, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists & shias since BJP came to power?

As a Parsi, were you safer pre 2014 or post 2014?

The problem with narrative in India is that it is seen in the prism of two religions, i.e. Muslims & Christians and how they are affected.
These 2 sections have lost tremendous amount of power post 2014 & they are rightly upset and feeling the pinch.
And you could be right that if BJP comes to power in 2019, they may feel even more marginalized in the power structure.

BUT, is that really such a bad idea? ;)

@pothead has given a brilliant reply to your points.

I will just add one more thing

Did at any point of time in the run up to the 2014 election BJP say that they will NOT follow a Hindu Nationalist Hindutva agenda? Did they say they will not work on cow protection or banning triple talaq? (they may have said that they wanted UCC but everyone and their dog knew that it was ending triple talaq and polygamy)

If knowing this, people voted for BJP means either 2 things - One they supported these agendas of BJP
or they were fedup with the congress and wanted a change and did not care much about hindutva one way or the other.

The first group will continue to be BJP supporters because no one else is there. The congress has thoroughly exposed its "secularism" many times. The less said about regional parties the better. Will Mullah Mulayam or Mamata Begum or Owaisi care about the Hindu issues. the answer is clearly no

As for the second group they knew this about BJP but still supported it. I believe that they will continue to support BJP as long as their hatred for corruption is less than the hatred for Hindutva. Many of them may also be converted to Hindutva.

I will give you a prime example. Why is that for decades JNU is a leftist bastion? Every year new students come but how is it that majority are leftists? My understanding is that because the environment there is left wing within a short amount of time the centerist becomes a leftist.

Now take this analogy on a national level. 20 states are right leaning, the media houses with the highest TRPs are right leaning, The social media is also approx 60:40 right leaning. All this will influence the centerist to also become right leaning. Once he does that he becomes a BJP voter.

You are absolutely right about a large section of BJP votes in 2014 coming from anti-incumbency and a willingness to go along with Hindutva ("good that the bluddy mozzy will ALSO get put in place a bit" syndrome as I and Joe call it) AS LONG AS IT DID NOT AFFECT TWO THINGS:

1) Economy and Growth and Development

2) The fabric of the society we live in

All I can tell you about that critical and HUGE chunk of swing voters is that if they did not care about Hindutva in 2014, they most definitely and surely DO care about Hindutva in 2018 leading up to 2019.

As you rightly again said, the hardcore extremes on either side have always voted along expected lines. BJP or the Congress.

Yet the BJP has only won twice in the history of independent India. And both times there were cataclysmic upheavals in the fabric of our society and national life and discourse.

Both times the guys who swung the vote for the BJP were these same swing voters. Not (only) the coalescence of Hindu identity politics, which I believe has always been there, and always been sub-optimally adopted by the large mas of Hindus around the country.

I believe that the BJP has not done near enough to keep these swing voters and make them into at least a semi permanent vote bank.

In fact, I believe they have lost most through their incompetence and the state of our economy.

And that feeling has been further hardened by the state of the social fabric and polarization that exists in the country and the incidents that come thick and fast from the length and breadth of our land.

I do not think the Muslims and Hindus on either side are going to be affected either way.

I just think that the India in the middle has swung away.

Cheers, Doc

There is a Hindutva govt in India for past 4+ years, let me ask you, what's the worst thing that has happened?
Let me be more precise.

What's the worst thing that has happened to Parsis, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists & shias since BJP came to power?

As a Parsi, were you safer pre 2014 or post 2014?

Let me speak for Parsis.

1) I have never heard an Indian bringing up our foreign origins and refugee status as much in 40 years, as I have heard in the past 4-5. Started getting really loud on Whatsapp and other social media about 2+ years ago.

Even the very clueless Parsis and the older ones have begun seeing it.

Its the rudest shock we have received as a community in India to date. From Indians.

The previous would have been when we had to flee once again with the Atash Padsha into the forests and caves of Bahrot after losing (the Rajput and us; long before we joined hands with the Marathas) to the advancing Muslim armies.

2) I never imagined in my life up till now that our fire temples would be disrespected in what is a land of a sidter Aryan faith who purportedly also call Agni a minor God.

3) Along with the above is the revisionism of history that starts to paint the Parsis into some form of rich Indian Jews leaching off the brown natives.

The above has been a heady cocktail of realism for an ex Sanghi.

Want more?

Of ya, safer pre or post 2014.

Pre. We will never vote as a community anything but the Congress moving forward. All 65000 of us .....

@Gadkari

Cheers, Doc

Last edited:
In fact, I believe they have lost most through their incompetence and the state of our economy.

There is a series of debates happening on AajTak, you can youtube ones from yesterday.

During the discussion, the Congress person was talking about Fuel prices But the BJP person asked a simple question.

Name one household food item that is costlier when compared to 2013.
Can you guess the answer?
Not even ONE food item is costlier in 2018, when compared to 2013. Even taking zero inflation, that is a remarkable achievement.

Most of the voters care about dal, rice, onion, tomato, sugar prices. They give a crap about how other things.

Coming to economy, let's agree to disagree. That discussion will go on for few days.

Let me speak for Parsis.

1) I have never heard an Indian bringing up our foreign origins and refugee status as much in 40 years, as I have heard in the past 4-5. Started getting really loud on Whatsapp and other social media about 2+ years ago.

Even the very clueless Parsis and the older ones have begun seeing it.

Its the rudest shock we have received as a community in India to date. From Indians.

The previous would have been when we had to flee once again with the Atash Padsha into the forests and caves of Bahrot after losing (the Rajput and us; long before we joined hands with the Marathas) to the advancing Muslim armies.

2) I never imagined in my life up till now that our fire temples would be disrespected in what is a land of a sidter Aryan faith who purportedly also call Agni a minor God.

3) Along with the above is the revisionism of history that starts to paint the Parsis into some form of rich Indian Jews leaching off the brown natives.

The above has been a heady cocktail of realism for an ex Sanghi.

Want more?

Of ya, safer pre or post 2014.

Pre. We will never vote as a community anything but the Congress moving forward.

1) that's a shock to me. Let me be frank, it won't be anyone from BJP or RSS affiliated groups who are doing it. The worst thing you can assume is that all Hindus are Sanghis, which is markedly untrue. Sangh has tremendous respect for Parsis & BJP currently being led by a Sanghi, reflects the same ideal.
To add, can you quote ONE single attack by a Sanghi on parsi in last 4+ years?
2) That is what courts have done. We are facing the same with Sabrimala. That's the last thing you can blame on Sanghis
3)Who has done that? Can you share some links please? As far as I know many of the real minorities have in fact gotten boost after 2014. the buddhist circuit happened after 2014. again, perception is not reality & more importantly Sangh does not have a history of taking on soft targets - which the parsis are.

Remember how Congress tried to divide Lingayats in karnataka.
Remember how Congress just last week was caught beating north indians in Guj.

I believe you are looking at the wrong people for what ever Parsis are perceiving - If there is a party that has built their political empire on pyres of groups, it's the Congress. I am not trying to convert you, just the stating the facts through my eyes.

There is a series of debates happening on AajTak, you can youtube ones from yesterday.

During the discussion, the Congress person was talking about Fuel prices But the BJP person asked a simple question.

Name one household food item that is costlier when compared to 2013.
Can you guess the answer?
Not even ONE food item is costlier in 2018, when compared to 2013. Even taking zero inflation, that is a remarkable achievement.

Most of the voters care about dal, rice, onion, tomato, sugar prices. They give a crap about how other things.

Coming to economy, let's agree to disagree. That discussion will go on for few days.

1) that's a shock to me. Let me be frank, it won't be anyone from BJP or RSS affiliated groups who are doing it. The worst thing you can assume is that all Hindus are Sanghis, which is markedly untrue. Sangh has tremendous respect for Parsis & BJP currently being led by a Sanghi, reflects the same ideal.
To add, can you quote ONE single attack by a Sanghi on parsi in last 4+ years?
2) That is what courts have done. We are facing the same with Sabrimala. That's the last thing you can blame on Sanghis
3)Who has done that? Can you share some links please? As far as I know many of the real minorities have in fact gotten boost after 2014. the buddhist circuit happened after 2014. again, perception is not reality & more importantly Sangh does not have a history of taking on soft targets - which the parsis are.

Remember how Congress tried to divide Lingayats in karnataka.
Remember how Congress just last week was caught beating north indians in Guj.

I believe you are looking at the wrong people for what ever Parsis are perceiving - If there is a party that has built their political empire on pyres of groups, it's the Congress. I am not trying to convert you, just the stating the facts through my eyes.

You are seeing things only in the prism of the BJP and the Sangh....

Let me spell it out for you.

The BJP and the Sangh have lost control.

If ever they really had control.

It was always a very dangerous game they were playing.

We as a nation are barely 70 years old.

We have very quickly forgotten what it took to make us a nation.

The British and 1000 years of foreign rule. And a lot of persuasion and compromises at the end of that with some really towering personalities with everyone ready to throw in their lot with "own" brown faces rather than the fatigue of yet another alien ruler.

We are now seeing that all of those cleave lines are bubbling barely beneath the surface.

A surface that has been whipped up.

And what is going to bubble up and which layers are going to come together and which separate, nobody knows.

Chaos and string theory sounds nice in scientific papers.

Anarchy looks very different on the ground. And that's where we are headed.

Cheers, Doc

1) Economy and Growth and Development

Is the economy growing? Yes

Can the growth be more? Yes

The problem with BJP opposers is that they claim that Modi was a magician who will wave a wand and we will have 10% growth rate and 0 unemployment. That does not happen in any economy let alone an economy the size of India. Dont give China's example because
1 the numbers are suspect
2 they dont have to deal with half of what Indian govt has to deal with.

I will give you one simple example of the latter

BUZZING.JPG

This is the map of Chennai Salem Expressway project. The Blue and Red are the existing highways. The white is the proposed expressway. Even a kid can understand that white one will be better as compared to any of the other 2. But what is happening? Govt is not able to acquire lands because of the opposition from farmers and other interest groups.

Do you think China would have faced this problem? Answer is no.

Coming to the expectation part. Even the most illiterate person expects that there will be some hyperbole in election campaign. If you supported BJP and hold them only on the standard of hyperbole then the problem is clearly on your side.

Will you vote for RaGa and then hold him on his hyperbole of setting a mobile phone manufacturing unit in every city?

2) The fabric of the society we live in

"good that the bluddy mozzy will ALSO get put in place a bit"

Back
Top Bottom