What's new

Whatever

Do you realize that A hundred nukes could end the human civilization ??
Forget a 100. Honestly 10 is enough to make the world an irradiated hellhole. :(

tumblr_mad7h6yZNA1rpb80d.gif

Remember our last stand-off after the parliament attack :lol: 1500+ Indian soldiers killed during troops mobilization vs none. :D
With your current artillery you can't even conquer Afghanistan !!! :sarcastic:
less than 50% of your total armour is night capable :rofl:
A huge shortage of military taxis :dance3:
Very poor mobilization speed :lol:
Severe shortage of Ammo these days. :cheesy:
I wouldn't be surprised if Laal topi's dream of hosting a program from delhi radio comes true !!! :partay:

No offence.
:partay: Can't wait to be a dhimmi. Again :D

Dhimni taxes are still much lower than the ones ur paying right now :D so cheers !!! :cheers:

Plus if you convert, no taxes at all !!! :cheesy:

U forgot one thing, The Pakistani army is as incompetent as their Indian counterparts.

I can give you a laundry list of events that Americans have done that made the Mard-e-Momins look like keystone cops.

If invasion of India was a viable proposition, the Pakistanis would have done it already.

The fact is, both countries are focused internally on their own internal conflicts.

@RAMPAGE Both countries should loo at improving infrastructure, job creation and poverty elimination rather than chest thump.

@Ravi Nair

How are you bro? Have you finished reading Tacitus? How was it?

It was intersting in the sense that Tacitus had a lot of admiration for the Germanic tribes. He viewed them as independent, fierce-some, austere and resourceful.

Tacitus mentioned that how Romans possessed these qualities when they were still relatively young as an Empire, but now that civilization has brought with it debauchery and a breakdown of moral values.

He viewed the Germanic tribes as a representation of what made Rome great and he laments the loss of it.

And you can see why the Romans were so successful as Tacitus had kept a of ethnographic data, history, geography of his enemies, to divide the gaps within the enemy territory.

The British, I think followed this model in a more sophisticated fashion.

And just like the British, the Romans also recruited soldiers from all their vassals and ave the legion a cosmopolitan look.

What I got out of it was that Romans were meticulous about record keeping. And even their generals like Tacitus were learned men.

Last edited:

Gandhi was the one who brought religion into politics ; one of Gandhi`s unforgivable sins .. This mixture of religion and politics by "Mahatama" ultimately resulted in millions of deaths ... (Including his own) ...... Karma the bitch !!!

Gandhi could not prevent partition , Gandhi could not stop the communal violence (A logical result of his own policies) ... Gandhi failed as a father ... Gandhi failed in everything ......

As long as Pakistan is there on the map of the world , only idiots would say that the two nations theory has failed !!

And yes , Jinnah failed as a father only ... Jinnah was one of the most successful persons the history has ever produced ... In words of Stanley Wolpert :

“Few individuals significantly alter the course of history. Fewer still modify the map of the world. Hardly anyone can be credited with creating a nation-state. Mohammad Ali Jinnah did all three.”

Ambedkar is my favorite leader of that time :)

It was intersting in the sense that Tacitus had a lot of admiration for the Germanic tribes. He viewed them as independent, fierce-some, austere and resourceful.

Tacitus mentioned that how Romans possessed these qualities when they were still relatively young as an Empire, but now that civilization has brought with it debauchery and a breakdown of moral values.

He viewed the Germanic tribes as a representation of what made Rome great and he laments the loss of it.

And you can see why the Romans were so successful as Tacitus had kept a of ethnographic data, history, geography of his enemies, to divide the gaps within the enemy territory.

The British, I think followed this model in a more sophisticated fashion.

And just like the British, the Romans also recruited soldiers from all their vassals and ave the legion a cosmopolitan look.

What I got out of it was that Romans were meticulous about record keeping. And even their generals like Tacitus were learned men.

Thank you for such a lucid description,Ravi. So it's interesting that the virtues of the empire slowly got transferred to its subjects in barbarian Europe which sowed the seeds of modern civilization.And this is quite interesting too to see the way Tacitus used to divide his enemies, the model later the British followed.A must read it seems.

Thank you for such a lucid description,Ravi. So it's interesting that the virtues of the empire slowly got transferred to its subjects in barbarian Europe which sowed the seeds of modern civilization.And this is quite interesting too to see the way Tacitus used to divide his enemies, the model later the British followed.A must read it seems.

I am reading about Plutarch and his assessment of Pericles at the moment.

At the time, (before Plutarch) Pericles was a popular statesman in Athenian democracy due to his pedigree and his soldiering accomplishments. He was a brilliant orator. However he lend his support for the commoners as he was thought to be sympathetic to the aristocrats. ( you can see political pragmatism at work here).

I mean, you see the elements of today's concern for Democracy there in Athens, whether a popular statesman like Pericles can become a tyrant.

The power that commoners have in numbers and the aristocrats have in money.

It's interesting that concerns in a democracy over the years, at least some elements of it haven't changed all that much.

Last edited:
I am reading about Plutarch and his assessment of Pericles at the moment.

At the time, (before Plutarch) Pericles was a popular statesman in Athenian democracy due to his pedigree and his soldiering accomplishments. He was a brilliant orator. However he lend his support for the commoners as he was thought to be sympathetic to the aristocrats. ( you can see political pragmatism at work here).

I mean, you see the elements of today's concern for Democracy there in Athens, whether a popular statesman like Pericles can become a tyrant.

The power that commoners have in numbers and the aristocrats have in money.

It's interesting that concerns in a democracy over the years, at least some elements of it haven't changed all that much.
Greek (especially Athenian) and Roman history are such fascinating to read. Am reading Gibbons. Its a slow progress but some chapters are really interesting there. Great to see another history maniac among us :cheers:

Greek (especially Athenian) and Roman history are such fascinating to read. Am reading Gibbons. Its a slow progress but some chapters are really interesting there. Great to see another history maniac among us :cheers:

As blasphemous as this may sound, I have not read Chanakya and Arthashastra yet.

I need to :-)

As blasphemous as this may sound, I have not read Chanakya and Arthashastra yet.

I need to :-)
Blasphemous!! Not at all. When I was in school I read some selective work of Chanakya. Later I came to know that there are tremendous amount of doubt about this man's identity and after reading his complete works it became evident that this man (or rather group of men) who wrote this book was actually racist and male chauvinist.Tell me what you think about him after reading.:-)

Blasphemous!! Not at all. When I was in school I read some selective work of Chanakya. Later I came to know that there are tremendous amount of doubt about this man's identity and after reading his complete works it became evident that this man (or rather group of men) who wrote this book was actually racist and male chauvinist.Tell me what you think about him after reading.:-)

Unfortunately, we tend to judge writers in antiquity according to our own moral values or viewpoints. We have to keep in mind that t was a different era.

Confucius today will be termed a sexist. Tacitus a racist. Nearly all greek philosophers racist and sexist.

It is a really hard thing to do, but divesting ourself of our emotional responses would be the key to avoid a biased reading of the book.

Naipaul said many horrible things, but he did write a brilliant book called bend in the river.

Humans are flawed. Even our Mahatma said and did many things that were in contrast our rational minds today.

Where do I find Chanakya's works?

Unfortunately, we tend to judge writers in antiquity according to our own moral values or viewpoints. We have to keep in mind that t was a different era.

Confucius today will be termed a sexist. Tacitus a racist. Nearly all greek philosophers racist and sexist.

It is a really hard thing to do, but divesting ourself of our emotional responses would be the key to avoid a biased reading of the book.

Naipaul said many horrible things, but he did write a brilliant book called bend in the river.

Humans are flawed. Even our Mahatma said and did many things that were in contrast our rational minds today.

Where do I find Chanakya's works?
I didn't think like that. Before Arthasastra was written, there were enough scriptural evidences that women were given respect, were seen with uncompromising equality.They had every opportunity to debate in public with others. But with time, society went through a change, liberty tended to cease in many cases. During the period when Arthasastra was being written was perhaps the golden age in Indian history but unfortunately this was the time when we already started sleep walking inside an egg shell of ignorance and regression.

PS: Missed the Mahatma part. It's a very interesting subject Ravi,especially the relation between Mahatma and his son Harilal. And also Gandhi's days in South Africa is an interesting subject when we tend to analyze Gandhi's personal character. Strangely there was a huge gap what he preached on stages and what he did at home.

You can read the Arthashastra from Penguin publishers. It's a good one :-)

Last edited:
Lol

This ai'nt your usual fun threads , you know that well , it was meant for a specific purpose and that is trolling or inciting other members . It isn't the first time that this troll @Pak-one is trying desperately to prove some sort of racial superiority over others .

Life's good if you are asking me that . Rest be assured that we do not " kiss and tell " . :D

According to him I'm a sweet tongued serpent ! :smokin:

Waisee I was disturbed by my Brother @Khan_patriot's desire to shove his hand up the rear of those who are racists - Yeh tou kuch sahii shauq nahin lagteiii ! :unsure:

Good...good, as soon as you get rid of your funny accent life would be even better ! :p:

Stop copying Ghalib....you begin a sentence thinking that you're Ghalib but by the end you increasingly sound like a younger, more sober version of Altaf Bhai with vocal chords that aren't covered with fat ! :undecided:

Waisee I was disturbed by my Brother @Khan_patriot's desire to shove his hand up the rear of those who are racists - Yeh tou kuch sahii shauq nahin lagteiii ! :unsure:

Good...good, as soon as you get rid of your funny accent life would be even better ! :p:

Stop copying Ghalib....you begin a sentence thinking that you're Ghalib but by the end you increasingly sound like a younger, more sober version of Altaf Bhai with vocal chords that aren't covered with fat ! :undecided:

what happened to that thread..??

Back
Top Bottom